Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
If we're talking ethos, then let's try a little experiment. Would you rather have him, or a homegrown talent such as Tuanzebe(whose path he is blocking) on the field?
Tuanzebe’s 3 or 4 years younger, and Lindelof is supposedly much more highly rated. Just because he’s not made an explosive impact doesn’t make that any less so.

Come back in a year or two if he’s still shit, and I’ll agree. But I’m just not in the mindset that players who aren’t immediately brilliant shouldn’t be here, Mourinho obviously rates him so let’s give him a chance. He was excellent vs Italy the other day, for example.

Halftrack

I’m all up for not writing Lindelof off, but 30odd million is still massive money even in today’s market
A player bought for £30m in today's market isn't "high-priced". 45-50m seems to be the new 30m, bar a few edge-cases, while 30m seems to be the new 15m.

It's still a lot, but I don't think a £30m player qualifies as high-priced anymore.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
A player bought for £30m in today's market isn't "high-priced". 45-50m seems to be the new 30m, bar a few edge-cases, while 30m seems to be the new 15m.

It's still a lot, but I don't think a £30m player qualifies as high-priced anymore.
It is for an unproven defender

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Tuanzebe’s 3 or 4 years younger, and Lindelof is supposedly much more highly rated. Just because he’s not made an explosive impact doesn’t make that any less so.

Come back in a year or two if he’s still shit, and I’ll agree. But I’m just not in the mindset that players who aren’t immediately brilliant shouldn’t be here, Mourinho obviously rates him so let’s give him a chance. He was excellent vs Italy the other day, for example.
I echo your assessment totally but I’m worried about some of his basics and reading of the game and I’m not optimistic. I hope goes on to be brilliant but....

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag

I don't care about supposedly and what ifs. That's the type of stuff you write about 20 years in the future when you're reminiscing about the past and what could have been. I don't care about his performances for the National team if at the end of the day, he can't perform for Manchester United on the pitch. I can only go off what I've seen and what I've seen is not good enough. People keep thinking he'll get his head out of his ass, he's playing with nerves. News flash, that's 50% of what constitutes a pro player. The mental aspect is just as important as the rest.

I'd be super happy if he starts playing well and proves me wrong, but being a logical man insofar that I can only judge a player on his recent form and performances, his presence on the field has been detrimental to the team and the team is above everything else.

On the issue of selling after one season, the Di Maria case has set a precedent which I find hard to argue against. If it's not gonna happen, it's not gonna happen. Sometimes, it's a bad fit.

With regards to the comparisons with Tuanzebe, I simply cannot accept that any man who has watched United since last season could ever argue which of the two has come out looking the best. It doesn't hurt that he is a product of the club's youth system , a very, very, very, very important part of United's culture.

Lennon7

I echo your assessment totally but I’m worried about some of his basics and reading of the game and I’m not optimistic. I hope goes on to be brilliant but....
I know what you mean, but you could say the same for Vidic’s calmness and professionalism. He looked like a headless chicken at times yet went on to be one of the best centre half’s we ever had.

This isn’t necessarily backing up Lindelof, by the way. The jury’s still out on him, completely. I’m just questioning some United fan’s mindset when it comes to new players.

Lennon7

I don't care about supposedly and what ifs. That's the type of stuff you write about 20 years in the future when you're reminiscing about the past and what could have been. I don't care about his performances for the National team if at the end of the day, he can't perform for Manchester United on the pitch. I can only go off what I've seen and what I've seen is not good enough. People keep thinking he'll get his head out of his ass, he's playing with nerves. News flash, that's 50% of what constitutes a pro player. The mental aspect is just as important as the rest.

I'd be super happy if he starts playing well and proves me wrong, but being a logical man insofar that I can only judge a player on his recent form and performances, his presence on the field has been detrimental to the team and the team is above everything else.

On the issue of selling after one season, the Di Maria case has set a precedent which I find hard to argue against. If it's not gonna happen, it's not gonna happen. Sometimes, it's a bad fit.

With regards to the comparisons with Tuanzebe, I simply cannot accept that any man who has watched United since last season could ever argue which of the two has come out looking the best. It doesn't hurt that he is a product of the club's youth system , a very, very, very, very important part of United's culture.
Oh I’m saying ‘supposedly’ because the people who know what they’re fecking on about rate him, not you or me. This situation isn’t comparable to Di Maria’s, not sure what you’re getting at there. It’s a huge leap for a young player, Di Maria was an established winner who couldn’t be fecked and didn’t want to be here.

Tuanzebe is extremely promising, and I hope to see him get more games for the first team. Maybe in 3 years when he’s Lindelof’s age he will.

Halftrack

It is for an unproven defender
Fair enough, I agree.

Poster I was responding to was arguing that he was the worst high-priced CB he'd ever seen, and that was the context in which I made the comment that £31m isn't really high-priced.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Oh I’m saying ‘supposedly’ because the people who know what they’re fecking on about rate him, not you or me. This situation isn’t comparable to Di Maria’s, not sure what you’re getting at there. It’s a huge leap for a young player, Di Maria was an established winner who couldn’t be fecked and didn’t want to be here.

Tuanzebe is extremely promising, and I hope to see him get more games for the first team. Maybe in 3 years when he’s Lindelof’s age he will.
What people in the know? Are you and I not watching the same matches they are?

What's the difference between a player who does not feel at home and does not play well and a player who can't adapt and whose performance makes us lose points? Ultimately, nothing. You gonna wait and wait and wait for nothing. United doesn't have to adapt to suit him, that's up to him and there's only one winner there.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I know what you mean, but you could say the same for Vidic’s calmness and professionalism. He looked like a headless chicken at times yet went on to be one of the best centre half’s we ever had.

This isn’t necessarily backing up Lindelof, by the way. The jury’s still out on him, completely. I’m just questioning some United fan’s mindset when it comes to new players.
I remember Vidic seemed slow and not fit but his body shape and sensing danger was there with Lindelof I don’t see this but it could be he’s overwhelmed by OT as he is a young man and there is always a settling period coming from abroad. I just hope he settles and turns out very well as having 2 centre halves who are good defenders but also very capable on the ball (Bailley) would be a great asset in our team.

Lennon7

What people in the know? Are you and I not watching the same matches they are?

What's the difference between a player who does not feel at home and does not play well and a player who can't adapt and whose performance makes us lose points? Ultimately, nothing. You gonna wait and wait and wait for nothing. United doesn't have to adapt to suit him, that's up to him and there's only one winner there.
Are you trying to say you know as much about Lindelof’s potential and what he’s about than Mourinho and United’s scouts :lol:?

He’s been here for about 3 months. We’ve not waited very long have we? Spoilt United fans, man. Doing my head in.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
With Rojo back he’s going to struggle to even make the bench let alone play.

If we didn’t have an annual centre back injury crisis I’d be happy to see him go out on loan to a club that would play him every game.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Manchester United is not a charitable organization.
What does that has to do to give a young player time to settle down? We have given time to the likes of Vidic and Evra. That worked well right?

devilish

If we're talking ethos, then let's try a little experiment. Would you rather have him, or a homegrown talent such as Tuanzebe(whose path he is blocking) on the field?
Our current CBs are hardly world class so if Tuanzebe is good enough then he will play. I am pretty sure that Mou would love to have a young and solid defensive partnership to rely on as opposed to players who constantly break down or can't pass a ball 5 meters away from them or/and are renowned more for their facial expressions then their actual football.

We've been waiting for a world class defender coming from our youth academy for the past 2 decades. The best we had was Gary Neville a right back who couldn't dribble past a player even if he's own life depended on it. So lets take it down a notch shall we? The last thing we want is to look silly again as we did with the 'new Steve Bruce' Ronnie Wallwork and 'if Rio is worth 18m then he's worth 30m' Wes Brown. You'll think that years waiting super hyped players such as Smalling, Jones, Evans, Shaw and the Da Silva crocks flourish would have taught you something. I guess I was wrong.

deafepl

Our current CBs are hardly world class so if Tuanzebe is good enough then he will play. I am pretty sure that Mou would love to have a young and solid defensive partnership to rely on as opposed to players who constantly break down or can't pass a ball 5 meters away from them or/and are renowned more for their facial expressions then their actual football.

We've been waiting for a world class defender coming from our youth academy for the past 2 decades. The best we had was Gary Neville a right back who couldn't dribble past a player even if he's own life depended on it. So lets take it down a notch shall we? The last thing we want is to look silly again as we did with the 'new Steve Bruce' Ronnie Wallwork and 'if Rio is worth 18m then he's worth 30m' Wes Brown. You'll think that years waiting super hyped players such as Smalling, Jones, Evans, Shaw and the Da Silva crocks flourish would have taught you something. I guess I was wrong.
We promoted Gerrard Pigue to the squad through our youth academy and is now Barcelona's first choice defenders, I'm going with Gerrard Pigue because they called him a world class.

Bailly and Jones have potential to be world class, especially Jones if he stays free injury. I think many people are an overrating player as a world-class because of which team they played for, like Real Madrid as they conceded a lot of goal 2/3 time than our defenders yet people claimed that Real Madrid has world class defenders.

However, I believe that if people remain good continuously for long-term and make fewer mistakes than all other defenders out there and tackle so well so it would be classified as world class.

devilish

We promoted Gerrard Pigue to the squad through our youth academy and is now Barcelona's first choice defenders, I'm going with Gerrard Pigue because they called him a world class.

Bailly and Jones have potential to be world class, especially Jones if he stays free injury. I think many people are an overrating player as a world-class because of which team they played for, like Real Madrid as they conceded a lot of goal 2/3 time than our defenders yet people claimed that Real Madrid has world class defenders.

However, I believe that if people remain good continuously for long-term and make fewer mistakes than all other defenders out there and tackle so well so it would be classified as world class.
Pique is not really our product but Barca. Bailly is not ours for sure and neither is Jones. In my books the likes of Rio, vidic and Stam were WC. I wont put Jones anywhere near to that level

Hes great in facial expressions though

deafepl

Pique is not really our product but Barca. Bailly is not ours for sure and neither is Jones. In my books the likes of Rio, vidic and Stam were WC. I wont put Jones anywhere near to that level

So by your logic, Phill Nevile is not our product either. Jones impressed us a lot, but he is injury prone and is going to be in his prime soon, I think he's an elite level and like I said he has a potential to be world class.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Always tricky this one. If Pique is not ManUtd academy graduate then Puyol, Busquets, Pedro are not Barca's academy graduates. They joined Barca when they were 16, Pique joined ManUtd when he was 16 like Pogba, Rossi, Januzaj did.

pseudo_canadian

People need to realize that not every defender, particularly CBs, will be instant hits like Bailly. Adapting to the Prem is difficult. Do people not remember how bad Evra and Vidic were when United first signed them?

People writing off Lindelof not even 3 months into the season shows just how fickle and negative modern football fans can be. Not every defender we buy will turn into fecking Franco Baresi overnight.

Support the kid and have confidence in him. He's proven himself at Benfica and for Sweden on many occasions, and will for United as well.

devilish

Always tricky this one. If Pique is not ManUtd academy graduate then Puyol, Busquets, Pedro are not Barca's academy graduates. They joined Barca when they were 16, Pique joined ManUtd when he was 16 like Pogba, Rossi, Januzaj did.
Pique stayed just 4 years with us. For the rest he was a Barcelona player.

devilish

So by your logic, Phill Nevile is not our product either. Jones impressed us a lot, but he is injury prone and is going to be in his prime soon, I think he's an elite level and like I said he has a potential to be world class.
Oh how I wished that was be the case.

And no Jones is not world class.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Lad just needs to be calm and not worry that he's playing at Old Trafford. Just needs to concentrate and do what he knows he's capable of.

Denis79

He has played really bad for us but he isn't as bad as some say nor will he become world-class. Problem is atm we can't afford to give him games just so he can build confidence, he has to find his own way back and fecking focus when he's given a chance. Because he's been terrible in a majority of the few games he's been given.

Strats

He’s had a couple of very good games for Sweden so might actually be the perfect time to start him.
I agree, he needs to keep his confidence up.

Have we ever had 2 Swedes on the pitch at the same time(or even in the squad)?

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
I agree, he needs to keep his confidence up.

Have we ever had 2 Swedes on the pitch at the same time(or even in the squad)?
Blomqvist+Djordjic. The latter only had 2 appearances for Utd so not sure if they were on the pitch at the same time.

TheSwedeFromSweden

Supports
Zlatan
After he played amazing 180 minutes against Italy when a World Cup-place was at stake, first in front off 50.000 people and then in front of 80.000 in San Siro, he surely has the nerves to do it against Newcastle in the league. Right? :nervous:

haram

After he played amazing 180 minutes against Italy when a World Cup-place was at stake, first in front off 50.000 people and then in front of 80.000 in San Siro, he surely has the nerves to do it against Newcastle in the league. Right? :nervous:
He's going to be playing in a different set up though. He is going to have more space to look after.

Status
Not open for further replies.