Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

prtk0811

Re Smalling apart from that very first misplaced pass in the first few seconds of the game he had a good game.
Smalling keeps making mistakes. He got turned eaisily and beaten by just a simple dribble where he took eye off the ball, Lucky that we dint conceed.

Nakhon Phanom

I thought he had a fair game yesterday,improving as the match progressed.He's quite composed on the ball so something to work with.
When all are fit my three centre backs would still be Rojo,Bailly and Jones though.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Two big positives yesterday.

Showing the determination to go into challenges and winning them twice and doing well against a cunning seasoned British striker.

It was the right time to put in a performance like this too, with Rojo back there was a possibility that he wouldn't get look in for a while if he underwhelmed again.

Last edited:

Lentwood

I've been one of Lindelof's biggest critics but yesterday it did look as though he is starting to get up to speed physically. Won more headers than I have seen him win previously and looked to play much more on the front foot which he will have to do to play for Utd.

It's something to build on lets hope he can keep improving

Red_toad

Smalling keeps making mistakes. He got turned eaisily and beaten by just a simple dribble where he took eye off the ball, Lucky that we dint conceed.
Obviously you don't like Smalling so look for every single issue. No defender makes zero mistakes, they all have weaknesses and all have lapses in every game they play.

GM K

Vidic, Stan, De Gea all had problematic first few months at United. This kid will come good.

prtk0811

Obviously you don't like Smalling so look for every single issue. No defender makes zero mistakes, they all have weaknesses and all have lapses in every game they play.
No that's not true, I also praise him when he puts in a great shift, but at 27 he is in prime of his career and had still not taken his game to a level where you can fully depend on him in big games playing against best players. When small club players can expose him with some moments of quality, top players will do that in big moments too and that looses some of the confidence we should have in him normally.

Bestietom

I think Lindelof will come good if he is given the chance. He has class and is composed on the ball with a good delivery/pass, so let's all get behind him and give him time.

Red_toad

No that's not true, I also praise him when he puts in a great shift, but at 27 he is in prime of his career and had still not taken his game to a level where you can fully depend on him in big games playing against best players. When small club players can expose him with some moments of quality, top players will do that in big moments too and that looses some of the confidence we should have in him normally.
Please feel free to mention these top class defenders who never make any mistakes? You're being over critical. Personally not his greatest fan but he's pretty much essential in the Premier League for us. not one of our defenders is as good in the air as him and he's an essential part of the squad.

prtk0811

Please feel free to mention these top class defenders who never make any mistakes? You're being over critical. Personally not his greatest fan but he's pretty much essential in the Premier League for us. not one of our defenders is as good in the air as him and he's an essential part of the squad.
Not saying he's a bad defender. But he wont be my first choice when all are fit and against teams who play on the ground and not in the air. Ye's he's essential in the epl due to his aerial strenght but many teams dont play aerially and play on the ground specially in Ucl. His form has been on and off all his career.

Litch

I think Lindelof will come good if he is given the chance. He has class and is composed on the ball with a good delivery/pass, so let's all get behind him and give him time.
Amen. Composed CB's are limited even at the highest level. He has real quality in his delivery and you'd have to be blind to not see how he carry's the ball, he's a proper footballer. The question like Rio was can he defend too. I think Rio's defensive failings were covered up by Vidic and internationally by Terry. Lindelof doesn't have that luxury at Utd as all of them haven't shown the consistency either.

I thought he had a fair game yesterday,improving as the match progressed.He's quite composed on the ball so something to work with.
When all are fit my three centre backs would still be Rojo,Bailly and Jones though.
If he begins turning the corner and playing with more confidence and aggression I think we will end up with two lineups:

Bailly/Lindelof - Rojo/Jones

Bailly - Lindelof - Rojo

Jones would be an option but I don't see him ever being fit for long enough.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
His best outing for us by a mile.

There were points yesterday where he realised he could actually bully there players a bit.

SirAF

Ageist
Agreed.

I think he can be really useful against lesser teams at OT with his passing.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Nice.

For me, the tackle in the build-up here is when Vidic really kind of announced himself at the club, would be great to see Lindelof settle into some good form and confidence now:

Camilo

Worse than missing the ball as the last(ish) man, is missing the ball and the man. One way or the other, their attack had to end right then. He covered his bases, it was the smart tackle.

prtk0811

Can become a vital player for us and should also be trained to play in the middle for his passing capabilities. We will need him in the middle somehow i feel.

Last edited:

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Amen. Composed CB's are limited even at the highest level. He has real quality in his delivery and you'd have to be blind to not see how he carry's the ball, he's a proper footballer. The question like Rio was can he defend too. I think Rio's defensive failings were covered up by Vidic and internationally by Terry. Lindelof doesn't have that luxury at Utd as all of them haven't shown the consistency either.
What? Rio was one of the best CBs in the history of this club, even if you ignore his ball-playing skills and look from a purely defensive standpoint.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
What mistakes, exactly? Jones and Baiiey got outdribbled as well, it happens to every defender in every game. If that is ALL you have then you really don't have a leg to stand on.

Trophy Room

Two big positives yesterday.

Showing the determination to go into challenges and winning them twice and doing well against a cunning seasoned British striker.

It was the right time to put in a performance like this too, with Rojo back there was a possibility that he wouldn't get look in for a while if he underwhelmed again.
Exactly. He showed good intent, I think he’ll make it.

Bobski

What? Rio was one of the best CBs in the history of this club, even if you ignore his ball-playing skills and look from a purely defensive standpoint.
Yes, better player than Vidic, his reading of the game was impeccable, rarely had to go to ground or throw his body around in the eye catching manner of Vidic and Terry. He made it look easy. Not the first time I have heard or read this argument, Vidic made him look good, perhaps Rio did the same and as a partnership they balanced each other.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Yep, just look at both legs in the Barca semi in 08 where the partner making him look good was...Wes Brown.

Nick7

:lol::lol:

NotQuiteManc

Getting more confident (albeit slowly) after each game, and after the (questionable) MoTM award, it will boost his confidence even more. Hopefully, he will make it here, as he has the offensive skills that would benefit the team especially when opponents are playing deep defensive lines.

Antonedwin

i still see him having potential , his problem is he hesitate to defend and seems afraid to get on physical duel , which is mentality issue rather than anything, his attribute & trait isn't bad

unlike lingard whom i see has no chance to make it here , he has , so let's wait for him sorting out his mentality first
i always said to give him chance and to not write him off prematurely . he will turn out good , guy doesn't lack talent, he just lack confidence , hope he start kicking on from now

SER19

Looks to be settling I think the Sweden games came at a great time for him. If he settles and continues to improve it would be great because he is good on the ball and that's something we could benefit from

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Vidic, Stan, De Gea all had problematic first few months at United. This kid will come good.
This. We need to be a little more patient with new signings (up to a point!) real talent and class will hopefully eventually shine through sooner or later though.
I think VL has big potential and fair play to Jose/the scouts for picking him out. He looked very shaky the last few months to be fair but this is starting to seem like it may be another really decent defensive find for us, without breaking the bank either. We have a good defence. Our attack and fb and creative squad depth still have to improve a fair bit though!

GM K

This. We need to be a little more patient with new signings (up to a point!) real talent and class will hopefully eventually shine through sooner or later though.
I think VL has big potential and fair play to Jose/the scouts for picking him out. He looked very shaky the last few months to be fair but this is starting to seem like it may be another really decent defensive find for us, without breaking the bank either. We have a good defence. Our attack and fb and creative squad depth still have to improve a fair bit though!

Good points.

El Jefe

The question is do you risk playing him in any of the next three PL games.

That could allow him to really come through as a United player off the back of his last game or it could cost us dearly as we can't afford any potential mistakes in the upcoming games.

IMakeThingsUp

That could allow him to really come through as a United player off the back of his last game or it could cost us dearly as we can't afford any potential mistakes in the upcoming games.
I say go for it! He did well against Italy as well so he has a string of good performances to build on.

A-man

Looks to be settling I think the Sweden games came at a great time for him. If he settles and continues to improve it would be great because he is good on the ball and that's something we could benefit from

It could of course be because of all injuries, but I think Mourinho has matched him intelligently since the Italy games. He has built his confidence and improved the cooperation with Smalling.Maybe even Mourinho’s visit to the first Swe-Italy game had a positive impact on him. Or am I overanalysing things?

Now I would like to see him advance more with the ball up the pitch, because he’s really good at that.

I don’t think that risk is larger with Lindelöf on the pitch. Actually there have been three points in every PL or CL game where he has been in the starting XI. The big risk is that the midfield doesn’t work imo.

binary bot
Was wondering what he was doing in the discussion with Pogba and Young for the free kick. Youtube suggests he has a decent free kick on him:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.