g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Victor Lindelof image 2

Victor Lindelof Sweden flag

2017-18 Performances

View full 2017-18 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robindinho

Don’t really know why we signed him to be honest. We have Jones, Smalling, Bailly, Rojo and then Axel coming through... I’m sure he’s better than what he’s shown so far but £30m for a 4/5th choice? :confused:

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
The weirdest thing is that he was called the Iceman at Benfica, and their manager just recently recalled his coldness and firmness of decision, his psychological strength. Go figure. In honesty, he never looked the type of centerback we needed, more adaptable to Guardiola. But he can still become a Ricardo Carvalho, although he has to toughen up and lose the fear. Giving him time is not half or even a whole season, might be more and might be worth it.

Android1974

Give him all the time in the world to settle in but there's absolutely nothing in him to suggest he's good enough for us. I'd love to be proven wrong but I just can't see it happening.

My point is we shouldn't waste our time on dross like him. City got rid of Mangala fast, we should get rid of him pronto and move forward.
The same City who played him yesterday and suffered?

kr0nix

Give him all the time in the world to settle in but there's absolutely nothing in him to suggest he's good enough for us. I'd love to be proven wrong but I just can't see it happening.

My point is we shouldn't waste our time on dross like him. City got rid of Mangala fast, we should get rid of him pronto and move forward.
Mangala is still on City's books.
He's had a bad start, but we've spent the money and he's still relatively young, so we may as well give him time to find his feet.

Zoo

He is comfortable on the ball and stepped out of defence quite nicely in the second half. I’m wondering OMG Mourinho should use him at RB for a while until he is fully acclimatised.

Skeezix

He seems to be weak in anticipating headers or any defending any long balls but seems calm and composed on the ball, opposite of Smalling who is great defending long balls but very weak in making forward passes. They should learn from each other

Lentwood

Sorry, that's one of the most ridiculous things I've read on here and that's saying something. I don't even know where to start.....
Go on have a go.....I am fed up of this "Liverpool-itis" syndrome that's creeping in

Keane, Schmeichel, Stam, RvN, Beckham, Ronaldo, Rooney, RvP, Giggs, Scholes.....etc.....that is the level you need to be to play for this club and we should accept nothing less. We're not a crèche we're we gently prune players for 5/6 yrs until finally they start turning out half decent performances. We're not a team that should be happy with one good performance in three and players hiding every time the going gets tough.

As I've said before, Lindelof is not a Man Utd footballer. Not now, not next year and not in 5yrs time. If you want to persist with him like we have done with Shaw, like we have with other senior players who are lucky not to have already been shown the door then we are accepting that we are no longer an elite club with elite level players

And btw, it's a little unfair to even compare Shaw and Lindelof because at least Shaw demonstrated some talent once!

AndyJ1985

He is comfortable on the ball and stepped out of defence quite nicely in the second half. I’m wondering OMG Mourinho should use him at RB for a while until he is fully acclimatised.
As if our full backs aren't already bad enough, why not put our worst first team player in that position...

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Don’t really know why we signed him to be honest. We have Jones, Smalling, Bailly, Rojo and then Axel coming through... I’m sure he’s better than what he’s shown so far but £30m for a 4/5th choice? :confused:
Blind and TFM can play at CB too.

We should have spent the £30-£40 million, or whatever the fecking price was, on a decent left back.

Kapardin

Still at a loss to see why we should wait for a 23 year old to "develop" (if at all he does), when there are many defenders who can be purchased and can make an instant impact.

I get why people are defending Lindelof, he is a United player, but the red tinted specs need to come off. I mean, there's adapting to the league and then there's not being able to defend against fecking Huddersfield.

Shady

We always get these (relatively) young center backs and then wait and wait for them to develop. Only to find they never become anything better than average. Evans is the best example.

settembrini

I don't know how seriously I can take a report that says:

"Not to be deceived by his lanky frame, he has a good amount of pace too"
"He has the natural pace to track runners..."

I mean, it's obvious he's not pacy. And that can have nothing to do with his adaptation, form or confidence... he's just not fast. Like if you read a scout report describing Mertesacker as pacy, you'd start doubting the author's judgement or wondering if he's ever actually seen him play.
From another scout report on that same site:

"Tierney’s last area of specialty is his physical ability, which is impressive for any defender. He has impressive height, and at 6 feet 2, he’s the height of most centre backs even though he’s a left-back by trade. And while most people would assume his impressive height would slow him down, it doesn’t. Tierney has impressive pace, and he often uses his pace to stay with attacking players, and burst past defenders when he has the ball. His physical ability and stature have helped him adapt to the game at the senior level. With his size and pace, Tierney isn’t at any physical disadvantage despite being only 18-years-old."

Tierney must have been playing in 4 inch heels when they scouted him. Cracking player but a big lad he ain't.

Home&Away

I've not seen much of Lindelof apart from his time at United - he deserves more time; but my problem comes with Jose's inability to play a player like Blind when there has been plenty of times that has been needed.

A very frustrating manager no matter how many trophies he puts in our cabinet.

snk123

He has looked extremely nervous and error prone so far. Guess which other player looked that nervous and made that many mistakes early on at Utd? De Gea.
I'm all for giving him time and seeing at the end of the season if he can overcome this.

buckooo1978

He has looked extremely nervous and error prone so far. Guess which other player looked that nervous and made that many mistakes early on at Utd? De Gea.
I'm all for giving him time and seeing at the end of the season if he can overcome this.
a reasonable time to judge a player not that it would satisfy the impatient generation

Laurentiu amt

What the hell, so much hate and discontent these days. It's like everyone is expecting good things to happen instantly.

The guy had a poor start, confidence is down, you can see by the way he bends hes body when moving. He doesn't even run with his head/chest up.

The fact he had a few mistakes, is short on confidence and that he had a poor start doesn't mean he's a poor player. Remember how many of our players came in and settled immediately, a select few and that's kind of it.

It's like he's to blame for our lackluster performances lately, c'mon be serious and grow the fek up. It's one player with a poor start, it happens, you need to see the bright side and support him.
I hope Jose will play him more, especially in games where we dominate so he can be comfy on the pitch and grow. Also Rojo coming back will help him as he'd need to step it up big time.

You were saying the same stuff 1-2 years ago when Jones had a few shockers and look how it turned up. :)

Litch

Go on have a go.....I am fed up of this "Liverpool-itis" syndrome that's creeping in

Keane, Schmeichel, Stam, RvN, Beckham, Ronaldo, Rooney, RvP, Giggs, Scholes.....etc.....that is the level you need to be to play for this club and we should accept nothing less. We're not a crèche we're we gently prune players for 5/6 yrs until finally they start turning out half decent performances. We're not a team that should be happy with one good performance in three and players hiding every time the going gets tough.

As I've said before, Lindelof is not a Man Utd footballer. Not now, not next year and not in 5yrs time. If you want to persist with him like we have done with Shaw, like we have with other senior players who are lucky not to have already been shown the door then we are accepting that we are no longer an elite club with elite level players

And btw, it's a little unfair to even compare Shaw and Lindelof because at least Shaw demonstrated some talent once!
Eh..."Liverpool-itis"? I like the list you've put but it's seems the only syndrome you are stuck in is the "pre 92 syndrome". Honestly it's posts like this that makes me have a love/hate relationship about being so successful and some of my city friends feel exactly the same. Success brings along a generation of fans that want the instant gratification that comes with winning things. They forget the success of the club has been built on many examples where patience has been the strength and not its weakness. For example, If you adopted your mentality, the greatest manager in British history would have been sacked from here after a bad start.

Already said, but it's not unusual for players to have difficult starts and we know the prem finds people out. That said how different would our history look if from your list there was no Schmeichel and Stam for example both of which didn't have great starts. Best current example is DDG who's start was even worse than Victors.

Not saying he's going to turn out ok, just saying it's ridiculously too early to say. Elite club needs elite players but it needs elite fans too. Elite fans are about balance, patience and supporting the club and it's players not only when they are winning. Yep it's frustrating and his error was costly last weekend and I'm sure Victor isn't happy about his performances but equally would appreciate the 'support' during this difficult transition. You never know, he might turn out to be a decent signing.

Oh, if you can spot that he'll never be good enough after a few games, send your cv to Jose and tell him sack his scouts as you clearly can do something that they clearly can't. Also with your same powers inbox me this weekends lottery numbers using your ability to read into the future....

Last edited:

Loublaze

ATLien

Mangala was given a season. Jaysus man United just spent over 30M for this guy and you'd have him sold in January! I think he'll come good. He's had a better start than Vidic so far (and no I'm not comparing them as players)

Last edited:

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Man gala was given a season. Jaysus man United just spent over 30M for this guy and you'd have him sold in January! I think he'll come good. He's had a better start than Vidic so far (and no I'm not comparing them as players)
Lol, no Vidic wasnt half as bad as people say he wa.

Im not a fortune teller, dont know how good or bad Lindelof will be in the future but so far he has been poor. No point in arguing this.

Kag

Man gala was given a season. Jaysus man United just spent over 30M for this guy and you'd have him sold in January! I think he'll come good. He's had a better start than Vidic so far (and no I'm not comparing them as players)
Vidic never looked as clueless defensively. He had also been part of a Serbian national team defence that was statistically one of the best in Europe.

Evra had a terrible debut up against Trevor Sinclair, and Vidic wasn't particularly great, but the pretence that they were anything like Lindelof is just untrue. It's stretching a point to suit the patience narrative some of you seem to be pedalling.

Patience is all well and good, but the stark reality is that we have six central defenders on our books, and our new £30 million man is the worst defender out of the lot of them.

Loublaze

ATLien
Lol, no Vidic wasnt half as bad as people say he wa.

Im not a fortune teller, dont know how good or bad Lindelof will be in the future but so far he has been poor. No point in arguing this.
He has been bang average in the league and very poor in only one outing. The CL is another matter as he's looked composed there. So far we've only conceded in one competitive game he's started (two if you count the Super cup against Real). Vidic really struggled in his first three or so months at United. In his debut David Bentley scored a hattrick and United lost 4-3 to Rovers. The entire defense was shambolic that day. Vidic was easily out muscled and lacked recovery pace, hence why he only got better after working on his strength. He struggled in training and was even sent to the reserves where he got subbed at halftime! @Kag surely you've forgotten Vidics struggles that extended even to training. He admitted that he felt like he made an enormous mistake coming to England (after struggling in the reserve game I mentioned). Hitting the weights saved him

Last edited:

ravelston

That's rubbish - De Gea's body language was always positive; Lindelof looks like a slapped puppy. And De Gea made fewer mistakes actually leading to a goal in his first season than Lindelof in the Huddersfield game. The truth is that @Android1974 got it right back in June - Lindelof is a project and we shouldn't have expected to see him in the Prem for at least a year. Unfortunately, now that teams know how to put him under pressure, he's probably worse than useless for the foreseeable future. Maybe by next season he'll have bulked up and learned how to defend at which point he could be a very useful player.

Android1974

That's rubbish - De Gea's body language was always positive; Lindelof looks like a slapped puppy. And De Gea made fewer mistakes actually leading to a goal in his first season than Lindelof in the Huddersfield game. The truth is that @Android1974 got it right back in June - Lindelof is a project and we shouldn't have expected to see him in the Prem for at least a year. Unfortunately, now that teams know how to put him under pressure, he's probably worse than useless for the foreseeable future. Maybe by next season he'll have bulked up and learned how to defend at which point he could be a very useful player.
We don't need to be overly pessimistic, though. Lindelöf's been used in the Champions, where the play is different and he's useful, and also in the League Cup, where he could slowly gain confidence and the physical courage required to do it here. I mean, put him in a room with Zlatan, if needed. ;)

ravelston

We don't need to be overly pessimistic, though. Lindelöf's been used in the Champions, where the play is different and he's useful, and also in the League Cup, where he could slowly gain confidence and the physical courage required to do it here. I mean, put him in a room with Zlatan, if needed. ;)
The group stage of the CL and the early rounds of the cups are one thing. I'll be astonished if we see him in the knockout stages of the CL or past the quarter finals of a cup. Confidence and physical courage are part of the equation, but strength and technique - in both of which he is lacking - are at least as big a part. I'm in no way giving up on him, I just think he has a lot of developing to do before he should be allowed near the first team - at least in a Prem game.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
May be worth sticking him in as a CDM for a few run of the mill outings, build his confidence without the pressure of potentially making an error at CB.
Pallister was another one who took a while to settle and produce after a record transfer, to add to the list.

Lentwood

Eh..."Liverpool-itis"? I like the list you've put but it's seems the only syndrome you are stuck in is the "pre 92 syndrome". Honestly it's posts like this that makes me have a love/hate relationship about being so successful and some of my city friends feel exactly the same. Success brings along a generation of fans that want the instant gratification that comes with winning things. They forget the success of the club has been built on many examples where patience has been the strength and not its weakness. For example, If you adopted your mentality, the greatest manager in British history would have been sacked from here after a bad start.

Already said, but it's not unusual for players to have difficult starts and we know the prem finds people out. That said how different would our history look if from your list there was no Schmeichel and Stam for example both of which didn't have great starts. Best current example is DDG who's start was even worse than Victors.

Not saying he's going to turn out ok, just saying it's ridiculously too early to say. Elite club needs elite players but it needs elite fans too. Elite fans are about balance, patience and supporting the club and it's players not only when they are winning. Yep it's frustrating and his error was costly last weekend and I'm sure Victor isn't happy about his performances but equally would appreciate the 'support' during this difficult transition. You never know, he might turn out to be a decent signing.

Oh, if you can spot that he'll never be good enough after a few games, send your cv to Jose and tell him sack his scouts as you clearly can do something that they clearly can't. Also with your same powers inbox me this weekends lottery numbers using your ability to read into the future....
On the contrary, I am incredibly patient. I didn't want LvG out and I certainly don't want Jose out. If you read all of my posts in context, they are aimed at fans who point the finger at the manager every time we don't win a game. I am putting the responsibility squarely on the shoulders of the players

Anyway, back on topic - DDG didn't start worse than Victor and also, he was 19 at the time. Schmeichel was iffy on crosses but obviously a good shot stopper and Stam had what, 3/4 slow games? You (not just you tbf) make out like it's so difficult to spot whether a player has the potential to be United standard - I am not claiming to be unique in spotting that Lindelof wasn't - read any post match thread on the Caf after our pre-season games. I am sorry but there are 'rough diamonds' and then there are lumps of coal. We are not in the position of luxury where we can invest another 2/3 years on Victors gradual development in the hope that he becomes 'adequate'. Sorry if that's harsh

Kopral Jono

The same City who played him yesterday and suffered?
Mangala is still on City's books.
He's had a bad start, but we've spent the money and he's still relatively young, so we may as well give him time to find his feet.
Mangala was given a season. Jaysus man United just spent over 30M for this guy and you'd have him sold in January! I think he'll come good. He's had a better start than Vidic so far (and no I'm not comparing them as players)
An oversight, my apologies. But it doesn't discount the fact that City did send him on loan sharpish and we should be looking to do the same with Lindelof.

With Vidic when he first arrived you could more or less guess the kind of a player he was going to be: a hard, no-nonsense centre-half who takes absolutely no prisoners. It's the same reason why I was willing to give Rojo more time despite his below average start. Lindelof, I just can't, for the sake of my life, see what his main attributes are as a defender. Devoid of any defending nous, as well as strength and speed required at the highest level, he's simply not the standard we should aspire to.

Bingo! Finally someone who gets it. Twenty or thirty years ago we might get away with giving mediocrity more time. But for better or worse, football today at the highest level is all about instant success where no room for mediocrity can be tolerated, and we all must accept that.

Happy to see Lindelof's family and friends are on Redcafe.
:lol:

Android1974

The group stage of the CL and the early rounds of the cups are one thing. I'll be astonished if we see him in the knockout stages of the CL or past the quarter finals of a cup. Confidence and physical courage are part of the equation, but strength and technique - in both of which he is lacking - are at least as big a part. I'm in no way giving up on him, I just think he has a lot of developing to do before he should be allowed near the first team - at least in a Prem game.
I doubt he lacks strength, although he's still young, and even less technique, with the range of passing he shows. He's just behaving like another player right now, specially confronting one on one's from the strikers and headers, which he was never strong to begin with.

Loublaze

ATLien
CL wouldn't be a problem for him. He's played in the knockout stages twice, once in a tight qtr final against Bayern and he played both legs

Loublaze

ATLien

HERE HERE!!

ravelston

I doubt he lacks strength, although he's still young, and even less technique, with the range of passing he shows. He's just behaving like another player right now, specially confronting one on one's from the strikers and headers, which he was never strong to begin with.
His passing technique is fine, the problem is his defensive technique(s). Even if we gloss over his inability to deal with the high ball that led to one Huddersfield goal, the way he was turned inside out in the run up to the other goal was embarrassing to watch (and probably embarrassing to the player). As far as strength is concerned, several posters (most recently @Kamprad ) have referred to Vidic's early problems in that area - and nobody would have thought of Vidic as weak when he came to us. Let me make it clear, I think he has the potential to be an excellent player for us, but he has a lot of work ahead of him - it's going to be a real test of his desire to make it at United.

Daniel Dollin

I don't know how seriously I can take a report that says:

"Not to be deceived by his lanky frame, he has a good amount of pace too"
"He has the natural pace to track runners..."

I mean, it's obvious he's not pacy. And that can have nothing to do with his adaptation, form or confidence... he's just not fast. Like if you read a scout report describing Mertesacker as pacy, you'd start doubting the author's judgement or wondering if he's ever actually seen him play.
Yeah sadly I have to agree with your comments here. I dunno where they got the pace angle from. He won’t need to be if playing alongside Bailly right enough. I think we need to keep supporting him and giving him the opportunity and as much confidence to develop his career at United.

Status
Not open for further replies.