Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfather

Silent domination....

Havent watched the game but why are you lot so surprised, he's been average at best for months, and that's being very generous. Looks like it was another showing that the 20 goals expectations came from total delusion.
He wasn't even average. He was crap. Stinking crap. You know the one that comes after not shitting for 2 or 3 days.

He's been bloody awful for a good while. Our main striker is supposed to pose a threat and give the opposition problems. He did none of that. His touch and movement were of a pub player.

He may get a few more games to wake up from this rut then he needs to be benched because he's contributing very little right now.

hp88

On this he won't beat Sir Bobby's record, and that might be for this best tbh.
He needs 20 goals to beat Sir Bobby record, if he fails to beat it then I think it will be end of him. You just can't carry on paying someone £200K if that's all they're bringing, regardless of many goals they have scored in the past or the amount of shirts they sell, players need to be jugged on their current performance.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Looks like he's lost his passion a long time ago. Seems to be riding his reputation now.. He knows he can just put in his 9-5 everyday and collect his pay check without having to really impress anyone. He also knows we really have no choice other than him upfront. Success doesn't come from your comfort zone. Van gaal making him 'undroppable' doesn't help.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Bench him and make him earn his place again. Just a shame we have no one on our bench who could play well upfront

Glory Glory Denis Irwin

Glory Glory Denis Irwin
Of course it means nothing. Just like Charlton's goals mean nothing, Law's goals mean nothing..... In fact, who cares that we've won this, that and the other - let's all just call him a fat cnut and not show our respect to someone who has contributed greatly to our history. Of course all that history means nothing as it is in the past and not today.
Maybe just the convenient history means something. If you want to bring up his past actions then why not mention his bending the club over a barrel for more money twice, threatening to leave us for Manchester City? There's a reason Charlton and Law have statues outside OT when Wayne Rooney never will, no matter how many goals he ends up scoring for the club.
Can you honestly remember the last time the fans of opposing teams were scared of playing against him? I'm thinking probably 2010.

Art Vandelay

You reckon he deserves all the shit he is getting? He will still be our top scorer this season, Shearer won't be Newcastle's top scorer if he was playing, would he? Your argument doesn't quite work.
So you're using both the past and a future that hasn't happened yet to defend him demanding £250k a week while performing woefully and being a liability to the team?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
No, but do I think he deserves respect? Yes!
Which has nothing to do with what anyone is talking about.

He played like a drunkard tonight, which is all anyone is saying. Nobody is playing down his historic record.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Just going back to that Barca preseason game when Luis Suarez didnt score but was everywhere, hitting the post twice..thats the kind of striker this team needs..Its what we deserve ...Rooney is past it, but lets be honest, he has been for a while..Its just that a lot of people are coming around to the idea.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
To be fair as already posted, SAF called this 2 years ago. And his real proper decline started last season, where he was pretty ineffectual, touch and passing especialy

Only thing that saves his some race are those long balls to Valencia that commentators oooo and aaa over. Whats also funny is commentators never slate him when he makes mistakes, must be some injunction to criticize him or something
I called it two years ago too, but of course I have significantly less credits than Fergie :lol:

This is the league's best player, and one of the highest paid in the world. Persie is a better player.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Bench him and make him earn his place again. Just a shame we have no one on our bench who could play well upfront

Hernandez couldn't do a worse job surely. Let him start up front for a few games and see how he does. Might aswell because rooney is just a big slightly moving lump currently.

santeria13

Sublemon
We will see who is our top scorer and the end of the season and our record scorer in our entire history. But go ahead, call him all the names under the sun and show just how much you embrace our club and players. Rock on Tommy.
By your logic, Liverpool are still the best club in England. Oh wait.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
I see, thanks for the info. How long did it take for Van Bommel to get dropped? Hopefully our general performances will pick up to cover for any potential slack from Rooney in the meanwhile...
They had a good first season together, where he said the same like he did at United. ("My captain will always play.").
In the second season van Bommel didn't perform good anymore and he fell out with van Gaal, lost his place and he got rid of him in the January window.

He tried Rooney in several positions and this season he made him the main striker, I think he will give him at least a few games as a striker, but if it doesn't get better, he will be dropped imo. It's his last chance, he wasn't really good enough for LvG as a 10 and we don't need him in midfield anymore, if he can't perform as our striker, there is no need for him.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Hernandez couldn't do a worse job surely. Let him start up front for a few games and see how he does. Might aswell because rooney is just a big slightly moving lump currently.
Honestly, I'm not a fan of Hernandez at all. He's too limited for me and with our current system the completely wrong type of striker

Jagga7

He was awful tonight but we literally have no one to take his place at the moment. Where has Wilson gone?

We need to get a striker in before the deadline, I have no idea who but we need someone.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
He was awful tonight but we literally have no one to take his place at the moment. Where has Wilson gone?

We need to get a striker in before the deadline, I have no idea who but we need someone.
hernadez is a better option atm.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
It's only the 2nd game but I'm really worried. If most people can see his decline, why doesn't the coaching staff?! The way he's been playing it's like he's not there at all, so we may as well give his place to someone else. Plus I've said it many times, he's too comfortable in his position.
I know we've had the crazy speculation about what we agreed to in his last contract, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's not so far fetched. He loses the ball like crazy yet the perfectionist LVG never drops him and never criticises him. How on earth do you explain that?:confused:

roykeane19

I called it two years ago too, but of course I have significantly less credits than Fergie :lol:

This is the league's best player, and one of the highest paid in the world. Persie is a better player.
RVP always better than him, just couldnt stay injury free, RVP`s touch and link up play where top class, especially his left foot had a rocket shot

The thing about Rooney is his pay packet is far far above what he deserves for type of player he has regressed to today

C'est Moi Cantona

He needs 20 goals to beat Sir Bobby record, if he fails to beat it then I think it will be end of him. You just can't carry on paying someone £200K if that's all they're bringing, regardless of many goals they have scored in the past or the amount of shirts they sell, players need to be jugged on their current performance.
I suppose through sheer lack of options up front he could get the goals required to beat it, but it'll be a hard watch seeing him doing it, not sure I want him to tbh.

Untied

I reckon he's gone at the end of the season, so doubt he'll do it.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Is there one position on the pitch where we can play him where he actually won't hold us down? Because, he obviously has to play for some reason that has nothing to do with his performances on the pitch.

psychdelicblues

Hes not a player who should be playing with his back to goal for the majority of the game. Im surprised so many here seem shocked at his performances whereas its been clear for quite a while that rooney is a CF/SS and not a ST. He gets dominated physically and doesnt have turn of pace to bother a CB. He needs to influence the game more. He needs a proper no.9 playing next to him.
I'd rather have a 3rd midfielder occupy that role like Herrer or even Mata, players who are technically sound.Rooney occupying that deeper role exposes the obvious weaknesses in his game. His erratic first touch, poor short passing and his inability to spot a pass. If he cannot hack it as a number 9 United should be spending big on someone who can.

Ixion

You can probably count on one hand the number of players in the world who get paid more than he does. We need a top class striker who can genuinely challenge him for his place instead of watching more performances like tonight.

Bwuk

He won't break Charltons record this season.

When was the last time Rooney had a 8/10, 9/10 performance?

Bojan11

Cavani for a decent fee would be a good signing.

Rooney just isn't a lone striker for me now. He was in 2009/10, but that Rooney was much more mobile. Was much more aggressive also.

Every bit of his game including his aggression seems to gone. I loved it when he was angry and played. Maybe he'd pick up the odd card, but his performances were good.

If we not signing a CB then we should go for a striker. We lack goals. It's big ask telling Depay to get you 20 goals in his first season.

Devil may care

It's all been said, I just don't ever recall every aspect of his game looking as lackluster as it does right now, he looks like he has the same disease as Falcao last season.

MajorTom

Rooney scored 12 league goals last season, which is 3 under his average for his entire career with us. That 12 matches 3 other seasons and beats 2 others in 11 seasons in total. So, that means he is right where he should be, add in the fact he never played up-front for a great deal of games. He will get more than 12 this season but somehow that isn't good enough anymore and never has been. What are you expecting from him? He is continuing what he always has done. What really bugs me though is people calling him a drunkard, a donkey, a cnut and various other names under the sun. I mean, do those words reflect his stature as a player as of today and show any respect at all to him as a player?

Like it or not, he is going to be our all time record scorer and I think it would be nice if we could use terms to refer to him other than those that are currently being banded about. It looks bad on you as individuals, you as fans rather than Rooney himself, no matter how many times you continue to use them.

I'm glad he is still here, that he is still our main striker and that he will be our record scorer. As a fan of our club, it is nice to watch him play and to watch him eventually break that record. Next time I'm at OT, on Tuesday, I'll be singing "Rooney! Rooney! Rooney!" along with the rest of the stadium.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Rooney scored 12 league goals last season, which is 3 under his average for his entire career with us. That 12 matches 3 other seasons and beats 2 others in 11 seasons in total. So, that means he is right where he should be, add in the fact he never played up-front for a great deal of games. He will get more than 12 this season but somehow that isn't good enough anymore and never has been. What are you expecting from him? He is continuing what he always has done. What really bugs me though is people calling him a drunkard, a donkey, a cnut and various other names under the sun. I mean, do those words reflect his stature as a player as of today and show any respect at all to him as a player?

Like it or not, he is going to be our all time record scorer and I think it would be nice if we could use terms to refer to him other than those that are currently being banded about. It looks bad on you as individuals, you as fans rather than Rooney himself, no matter how many times you continue to use them.

I'm glad he is still here, that he is still our main striker and that he will be our record scorer. As a fan of our club, it is nice to watch him play and to watch him break that record. Next time I'm at OT, on Tuesday I'll be singing "Rooney! Rooney! Rooney!" along with the rest of the stadium.
That's great, but he was still worse than dog shit tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.