5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojan11

Nope he can't even use the old Falcao excuse, the service into him was pretty decent by our recent standards.
It's not the service.

It's his all round play. No duels won against Richards, who is the same height is shocking.

ManUArfa

I'm a big Rooney fan over the years and part of me thinks the role he's being asked to play (i.e. in holding the CBs together to allow us to get two on ones out wide) that is affecting his game. On the other hand I wonder if he'll ever be suited to the lone striker role in a 4-2-3-1 system when he's most comfortable operating as the deeper striker of a pair.

RVP was more suited to that lone striker role because of his ability to create something from nothing as well as being a lethal finisher. Unfortunately his injury record was not the best and I'm sure that has contributed to LVG's decision to let him go.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Not a single person can defend him today. Last time he was this bad was Swansea away. Not sure if he can be classed as one of the world's elite footballers when he's so inconsistent, even at 30.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
WTF?? - stats at the top says he got an assist for the Spurs game :lol:
The people who run this forum must be serious Rooney fans.
In that Spurs game, Rooney was dawdling, taking touches and thinking about shooting when Walker ran in at pace and kicked the ball into the net.
There is absolutely no way that he can be given an assist for that.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
:lol: @ the vine reminders, they were just brilliant.

The man is being paid £300,000 a week.. To play like that. He will most likely become our top goalscorer, but that will come next year, and I imagine we will look to shift him on.

Worst performance I have seen from him ever, but I do know he will pick it up. van Gaal will not allow his captain to bring that to the table the entire season if he wants to get somewhere with this team.

Kostur

海尔的老板
To me it's incredible how he's lost his ability in decision making, he was doing things by intuition (like that overhead against City) and now he looks like he's about to shit himself when he's left with acres of space and some very easy options to pick. His first touch has always been abysmal but today he couldn't control his sphincter if his life depended on it.

Djemba-Djemba

He was absolutely terrible, I think he's been generally poor to average for a long time now so I never really have high hopes with anymore and yet I was still shocked at how awful he was.

Going into this season with him as our main striker is suicidal.

Name Changed

weso26
I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks Wayne Rooney is anywhere near good enough anymore needs to slap themselves in the face.

Walters_19_MuFc

Really saddens me to see Rooney play like that. Doesn't make it easy for himself. Critics must be having a field day.

Seriously, though, he needs to step it up. I thought he was fine against Spurs (although most said he was awful. They should watch the game again) but today he was really bad. Hopefully a goal, whether it be off the shins, a deflection, etc, will kick start his season.

Someone

Something
His worst game in ages, i think he's done as a top club regular, but to get more out of him we at least need to give him competition.

The situation we've left ourselves with is ridiculous.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I've been on the fence until now, thinking the negative views of him were rooted to his contact complaints and poor service from midfield.

But I'm starting to get worried.

Name Changed

weso26
His worst game in ages, i think he's done as a top club regular, but to get more out of him we at least need to give him competition.

What could the club policy actually be regarding transfers? Who in their right mind would leave us with Rooney as the main striker when a) he can't control the ball, b) he can't run, c) he's incredibly slow, and d) he is really pretty shit. How can it be left like that?

itso 7

Not overly worried so far but we need an insurance policy in case this loss of form turns out to be the start of his decline. Most top strikers are already settled at big clubs and it's highly unlikely that those who aren't would want to come in and play second fiddle to him. Maybe Berahino will do for now, good enough to start in Rooney's place (he can certainly match Rooney's output of the last few seasons) but will be too happy to have got a move to club this big to throw his toys out of the pram when Rooney plays for prolonged period.

Name Changed

weso26

I supported him for years because he was producing, including through the contract wranglings. I can't anymore.

Unlikely lad

Maybe it's a too simple way to look at things, but if he wasn't so shit today, we'd have definitely won by more than 1

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Wow, that was a really bad performance. Even his staunchiest supporters are saying he was bad. Here's hoping Hernandez is up to the job if Van Gaal decides to "Van Bommel" his captain.

Ferguson misjudged the centre midfield situation in his last couple of years but I reckon he still knew when to get rid of players in a timely manner when he paved the way for a Rooney exit a few years ago.

Unlikely lad

Imagine if we had a top striker like Aguero or Suarez playing there.
But that's the thing; even if we had an average striker it would be 10 times better than the dross he's producing right now. I don't get why he's turned to shit.

fallengt

Fergie saw a ticking time bomb in Rooney. He'll eventually put us into the situation where we can't just bench him nor replace him with a quality striker. Louis probably has regconized this but too bad, at this point he has no choice but sticking with Rooney

izec

feck me, he was bad tonight. Cant remember the last time he was that shit, and that for quite some time now.

izzydiggler

Usual trend with Rooney - 5/6 games at the beginning of the season to get fit, another 5/6 game streak of woeful performances at some point but in-between he'll grab 15-20 goals and have a few incredible games.

Until we sign someone better, it'll do.

worldinmotion66

He needs games and fitness more than most players, yes, but I also think he needs more involvement in matches, and playing as the lone striker he isn't getting that. He needs more touches on the ball, and he needs more pace in and around him. I just feel with have two great no.10's and neither have been played there. We have seen some excellent runs from Depay without the service required, and hopefully Pedro on the opposite flank will give us pace and movement on the right, but unless Mata or Rooney play in the hole, it won't make a jot of difference.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Man, that was an unacceptable performance. You can be shit sometimes, but not that shit.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Rooney is absolutely robbing United. Hasn't played well consistently for a long long time, probably won't ever again, but he'll continue to pocket a whopping £300k p/w while he's at it.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Rooney is absolutely robbing United. Hasn't played well consistently for a long long time, probably won't ever again, but he'll continue to pocket a whopping £300k p/w while he's at it.
Mind-boggling. He must be making loads of money for United with his name, otherwise I can't see why he's on that kind of wages.

justboy68

It does feel like it's coming to that time to move him on . So many aspects of his game are lacking these days. It's hard to even pinpoint what his strengths are anymore. He came through the ranks very early so it stands to reason that he may fade early too.

JackXX

He was terrible tonight. I don't know how you can have such a poor touch and get paid £300,000 and be the undroppable United captain.
I was quite pissed off that Van Gaal pointed out Adnan & Memphis gave the ball away and didn't even acknowledge the shower of shit I witnessed from Rooney. Those two have excuses he most certainly does not. If anyone else in the squad played that badly we wouldn't see them again for months.

Dion

He was terrible tonight. I don't know how you can have such a poor touch and get paid £300,000 and be the undroppable United captain.
I was quite pissed off that Van Gaal pointed out Adnan & Memphis have the ball away and didn't even acknowledge the shower of shit I witnessed from Rooney. Those two have excuses he most certainly does not. If anyone else in the squad played that badly we wouldn't see them again for months.
Two were getting constructive criticism in public to motivate them, one will be getting a bollocking in private. You have to be pretty dense not to see that.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
He usually has to play his way into form - often from a slow start to the season - so we pretty much have to get through this and hope he does find his form again soon.

That said, I want him subbed in games rather than playing every minute without threat of being replaced - Hernandez is sat on the bench waiting for a chance; the least he deserves is a sub appearance, particularly when Rooney is playing like that :rolleyes:

dustfingers

Supports
MMC
Two were getting constructive criticism in public to motivate them, one will be getting a bollocking in private. You have to be pretty dense not to see that.
Totally agree. Rooney might be in line for some dutch ball tonight.

JackXX

I don't think so I think he's wary of upsetting the 'star man' & it's been noticeable since SAF has left that Rooney gets special treatment at the club. I can't remember the last time he played well and he starts every game no questions asked.

Personally I would rather he focused on the positives with young players tbh especially Adnan who needs confidence.

p.s if you can't disagree or debate without adding an insult don't bother replying.

Unlikely lad

I don't think so I think he's wary of upsetting the 'star man' & it's been noticeable since SAF has left that Rooney gets special treatment at the club. I can't remember the last time he played well and he starts every game no questions asked.

Personally I would rather he focused on the positives with young players tbh especially Adnan who needs confidence.

p.s if you can't disagree or debate without adding an insult don't bother replying.
Van Gaal wary of upsetting a player? Is this actually being suggested?

United again!

Said it before the start of the season, in this role he won't score a swag of goals this season. At best he'll attempt to knit it all together with an inside left forward who never gets forward or inside, an inside right forward who always goes down the outside and doesn't have a left peg and a couple of different green 10's who've never played the role before (Janu in the first team). I didn't think the level of abuse would be this comical though.

The whole forward line is a mess, Wayne takes his share of blame of course but he has some little piece of magic that turns grown men into emotional teenagers while striding around a football pitch for 90 minutes.

Imagine if we had a top striker like Aguero or Suarez playing there.
Wouldn't make a difference, neither of them are hold up 9's. Suarez would not be a Van Gaal player anyway, to risk taking and adventurous. He'd have been out on his arse.

Dion

I think you have forgotten who our manager is. If you can't stop being so touchy maybe stay off the internet.

Last edited:

wiz4231

That was bloody disappointing but hey, at least it's all uphill from here on, right? Do think, he needs to be subbed/dropped to give him the necessary kick up his butt and make him fight for his place.

Probably his worst ever game for United...
Agree.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Truly horrible from him tonight. Just horrible.

I had good feelings about him this season, and I thought he'd be good for 20 league goals. Still think he'll come good, or at the very least better, but displays like that make you wonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.