Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Fair enough. But you are assuming Rooney gets benched - I am assuming that he wont. Not yet. LVG loves Rooney for some reason (which is beyond me). In an ideal situation, I'd have Rooney gone from the club altogether (instead of being dropped), but that is not happening anytime soon.
I'm not. He'll be given the longest amount of time to play himself into the team, perhaps rightfully so given this can't be his actual level - I refuse to believe this is the best he can offer.

But there's one thing being detrimental to himself and then there's another when the lack of ambition in his play is holding the rest of the team back.

A #9 can be more selfish and insular and only really concern themselves with getting goals if they want to, but a #10 has the weight of the teams' creative load resting on his shoulders and other players waiting on him to do something so they in turn can do their thing, and it won't be long before Rooney's bad play hinders somebody elses game and that's another level of problem than Rooney playing poorly and us still winning games because of moments of individual magic or fortuitous back passes from opposing centre-backs that put us through on goal.

ottosec

I think he's burned out, he's been playing every week since he was 16 and the media was all over him. That has to take it's toll, both physically and mentally.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think he's burned out, he's been playing every week since he was 16 and the media was all over him. That has to take it's toll, both physically and mentally.
i think you are right. But if that is the case, how come no one at the club saw it and gave him such a ridiculous contract? He's impossible to move on imo.What's worse is that he know it.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
He really has become quite fecking shite hasn't he. If we're going to do anything title wise we are going to need him to step it up. Otherwise hopefully he breaks the scoring records this year and leaves in the summer.

settembrini

Someone I was watching the game with yesterday blamed Rooney's crapness on the fact he has taken to wearing a long sleeve compression top, in every game, no matter how hot it is.

He went on to predict that once the weather gets cold Rooney will improve and he'll be 'dominating games' come January.

Von Mistelroum

We should (won't) bench him for a few games, then give him some sub appearances and see if he picks up a bit. He doesn't seem to be trying to me and it might be because he seems to be guaranteed a place regardless of how terribly he plays football. If that has no effect on his form then it's time to sell up. Offer him to Everton in a Stones deal perhaps.

Mainoldo

How about this... can you name worse player in our team right now? Even the likes of Pereira and other youth players would do better than this. He's maybe the most overrated player in English history. It's proly because his fall was so steep, nobody just expects world class talent like him to decline so quickly.

Like someone said he's our Gerrard, need to get rid of him asap, wouldn't care having him as a squad player but his name and ego is too big to play second or third fiddle which is what he deserves not only recently but for years...
You probably never experienced Paul Gascoigne. The England Legend!!

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
How about this... can you name worse player in our team right now? Even the likes of Pereira and other youth players would do better than this. He's maybe the most overrated player in English history. It's proly because his fall was so steep, nobody just expects world class talent like him to decline so quickly.

Like someone said he's our Gerrard, need to get rid of him asap, wouldn't care having him as a squad player but his name and ego is too big to play second or third fiddle which is what he deserves not only recently but for years...
I may agree with the bold part but the rest is crap. No one can have his record especially at a time when England arent as brilliant as they used to be and be considered the most overrated player in England's history. Id give him this season and allow him to leave next year if things doesn't improve

SirAF

Ageist
His contract tuns till 2019. Imagine how he'll be then at 34. Will be a sight.
Yes.. I've said it probably a few times too many but: Moyes really fecked us by giving him that 5 year contract. Ferguson saw Rooney's decline coming and played it right into the hands of Moyes, but The Dour One didn't have the balls to finish the move.

milemuncher777

formerly kid777
Herrera should start instead of Rooney. Would inject energy and much needed fluidity and creativity in the final third. Rooney looks completely shot both physically and technically.

Ferguson saw Rooney's decline coming and played it right into the hands of Moyes, but The Dour One didn't have the balls to finish the move.
Not that I feel a duty to defend Moyes, but what was he supposed to do? We didn't seem capable of attracting any players at all at the time. Fecking hell, we had to pay £37m(!!!) for a Chelsea reject (that's what Mata was, no matter how good he's been for us), and we could barely land Fellaini. Should he chuck his main attacker? His relationship with RvP was obviously not good.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
So difficult to say if he gets benched or not by LVG. On current form, he can be happy to even be on the bench. He's one big reason we look so poor and for him to play 90mins is not understandable.

JoaquinJoaquin

Rooney is now at the Falcao stage where he is that bad, even the slightest showing of encouragement gets well overblown.

He was crap yesterday, no sugar coating it. He has to go at the end of the season if this continues, we cannot carry him as a passenger any longer. Herrera must be sat on the bench thinking 'Jesus Christ, i'm here on the bench while this pub player Rooney is untouchable'

ottosec

i think you are right. But if that is the case, how come no one at the club saw it and gave him such a ridiculous contract? He's impossible to move on imo.What's worse is that he know it.
David Moyes.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
MEN gave Rooney and Mata the same rating.
That beggars belief as well. Mata wasn't perfect but still made a big contribution. Rooney did nothing at all, in fact he was at times a hindrance. Maybethe MEN won't go lower than 5, but they got Mata wrong. The Express, obviously Rooney is their darling and can do nothing wrong.

hp88

Not that I feel a duty to defend Moyes, but what was he supposed to do? We didn't seem capable of attracting any players at all at the time. Fecking hell, we had to pay £37m(!!!) for a Chelsea reject (that's what Mata was, no matter how good he's been for us), and we could barely land Fellaini. Should he chuck his main attacker? His relationship with RvP was obviously not good.
Offer him a new deal but not one that pays out close to a £1m month until he's 34. Woody screwed up as well for agreeing to go long with it. LVG making him captain didn't help either but in his defence he didn't have many players to pick from at the time.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Offer him a new deal but not one that pays out close to a £1m month until he's 34. Woody screwed up as well for agreeing to go long with it. LVG making him captain didn't help either but in his defence he didn't have many players to pick from at the time.
He said he would not drop his captain, then take the captaincy off him. Sorted.

Mani

Drop him to bench if that helps,he's doesn't show same level of passion he had.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I am stating the bleeding obvious here but his days are numbered especially with Memphis and Martial already looking for each other as first options for passes

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
So where are the people who were crowing about LVG's system being at fault for Rewnay!'s toothless displays? ''In this system Messi/Ronaldo/Aguero/Suarez would struggle to perform'' indeed. Enter a 19 year old kid who can actually run and control a ball and he flourishes.

BarstoolProphet

He needs to be dropped/moved on ASAP before he tarnishes his United legacy completely. Although he's the best silent dominator out there, there is still not room for such a player in LvG's philosophy.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He will never be dropped by van Gaal. If we could have Fergie back for 3 days he'd release him from his contract, in fact he'd have left in 2013 100% if it weren't for Ferguson retiring and Moyes being terrified of losing Rooney (of course Moyes fans at the time gave him incredible amount of credit for tying Rooney down for the next 25 years).

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He will never be dropped by van Gaal. If we could have Fergie back for 3 days he'd release him from his contract, in fact he'd have left in 2013 100% if it weren't for Ferguson retiring and Moyes being terrified of losing Rooney (of course Moyes fans at the time gave him incredible amount of credit for tying Rooney down for the next 25 years).
Why?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Because if it were to happen, it would have by now. It's not the first time Rooney plays poorly, besides the praise he's got from van Gaal is quite high (top 5 players he's ever worked with, the best captain etc.). I think he's the only undroppable element in our team.

RedStarUnited

I still cant believe, with the euros around the corner and the chance to be Man Utd all time top scorer in sight, he isnt trying hard to be better. When it was 3-1 and Southampton were pretty much done, Rooney barely tried to do anything. When Messi/Ronaldo are in these kind of games, that's when they rack up goals. Rooney was happy to see the game out and go through another game without a goal. Mentality is a big thing in sports.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
So where are the people who were crowing about LVG's system being at fault for Rewnay!'s toothless displays? ''In this system Messi/Ronaldo/Aguero/Suarez would struggle to perform'' indeed. Enter a 19 year old kid who can actually run and control a ball and he flourishes.
Martial had two chances all game. One was a pass from a defender, the other was a lucky break of the ball from a defender tackling a clearly offside Juan Mata.

Right now Martial's doing a great job of showing RvP/Falcao/Rooney how to be clinical in front of goal but for all that he's been direct and exciting to watch his addition to our team hasn't made us any more creative as a team, despite the relative goal glut of the last two games. Schweinsteiger playing his way into fitness and Depay's occasional moment of brilliance will hopefully move things in the right direction but we're still not creating nearly as many chances per game as we should be if we're going to have a good season. Martial hasn't changed this at all, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.