Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

santeria13

Sublemon
Rooney doesn't get in the side come October, the end is nigh.
For a month before Jose realises what we all know, that he is finished.
300k a week for a player who is clearly finished, has the touch of a baby elephant and the attitude of a man who believes he is bigger than the club.
Will be benched in no time.
Rooney can be described in one word. Finished.
Raul had all the respect in the world for Real Madrid, we are and have been nothing but a cash cow to Rooney.
:lol: Thanks for proving my point about the usual suspects. Bloody hell. I was only commenting on the fact that he looked sharp today ffs. I wasn't saying this is a sign he will be a world beater this season or anything like that. In fact, I generally criticize him more than I praise him.

Also yeah, it was a testimonial but it was arguably our most important pre-season game so far given how close it is to the season and the fact that the players that came back 10 or so days ago, including Rooney have finally had some time to get their legs going.

I wouldn't have even bothered making this post if you hadn't been so obnoxious in the first place. Replying twice with a one word comment and no explanation is quite rude IMO.

santeria13

Sublemon
He wasn't our best player at all but he did ok, didn't lose it too often.
To be fair he played the passes that were responsible for most of our attempts on goal today.
Maybe it would have been better to say that he was our best attacking player today.

Eddy_JukeZ

He and Ibra actually seem to have a good understanding.

I think they played more passes to each other that game than RVP-Rooney did during their 3 seasons together.

lem8sh

:lol: Thanks for proving my point about the usual suspects. Bloody hell. I was only commenting on the fact that he looked sharp today ffs. I wasn't saying this is a sign he will be a world beater this season or anything like that. In fact, I generally criticize him more than I praise him.

Also yeah, it was a testimonial but it was arguably our most important pre-season game so far given how close it is to the season and the fact that the players that came back 10 or so days ago, including Rooney have finally had some time to get their legs going.

I wouldn't have even bothered making this post if you hadn't been so obnoxious in the first place. Replying twice with a one word comment and no explanation is quite rude IMO.
Testimonial.

Womp

idiot
He's not leaving, the sooner we accept that the better. Just hope it's his last season as we can do so much better, with how much City etc. have strengthened we don't have space for any passengers anymore.

Think he will have a decent season though mind.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Ducker says he will like a new contract. Hope the club tells his agent to feck off politely.

Womp

idiot
Ducker says he will like a new contract. Hope the club tells his agent to feck off politely.
This would be the worst decision the club has made since well, signing Moyes and renewing Wayne's contract then. In terms of performance, there are many players that are much better in just about every aspect of the game needed for a 10, but we keep him for marketability.

Hope with Pogba coming in now, he can be the new "face" of the club, think he will be too.

santeria13

Sublemon
So when he plays well, or in this case, above the level of most of his teammates, people will be quick to downplay his performance and when he has a poor game, people will slaughter him. There really is no winning with him.

I'm not saying he was anything special today. Just that he was probably our best attacking player which is a massive improvement over his last few games. He deserves credit for that at least if you're going to tear him up at every opportunity. And before people start calling me one of his Blind followers; feel free to go through my comment history regarding his performances over the last few years.

Acole9

Outstanding
It doesn't make any sense for the club to offer him a new contract. I don't know how long he's got to run on his current deal but we're in a position now where he can't hold us to ransom anymore.

santeria13

Sublemon
Santeria13 is clearly Wayne Rooney.
On his bottom level, he is actually one of the worst players in the league. On his top level, he is world class but that top level has come far too short lived and far inbetween in the last two seasons. As you said, there is literally no other striker, playing for a top team, out there who suffers from such inconsistency as does Rooney. It is simply not acceptable for someone of his calibre to go missing for 6 or so games at a time and negatively affect our attacking play to the point he does when in those patches of form. It wouldn't be that bad if he wasn't untouchable in both seasons either.
Great, great performance from him tonight. If he carries this on consistently and I don't mean every game, then I will gladly quote myself at the end of the season saying that he's well past it. I criticise him a lot but will give him credit where credits due.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Both Memphis and Rooney have been utter dross in every single game in the PL this year. They've done next to nothing. Yes, there is a big issue with Mata on the right but those two are our biggest drawbacks right now. Playing well against brugge means feck all as we've seen from their performances in the following games vs Newcastle and now swansea. We couldn't sign another attacker soon enough.
Terrible, again. There's not much more to say. A good performance against Brugge doesn't mean much as we have also seen with Memphis. They both have it all to prove in the league.
With the wage and status he has, he should be putting in the kind of performance he did against Spurs last season at least once every 5 games or so whilst not dropping massively in standard in the games lying in between. Think about that for a second.
:lol: Yeah, Alright mate. Whatever you say. Maybe, just maybe I am someone who is unbiased on the player and don't have a deep seeded hatred for him which clouds every judgement I make on him.

Red Stone

A new contract sounds like a good idea. Preferrably one with a £150k per week salary that expires in 2018.

stevoc

Surely this talk of a new contract can't be true?

It doesn't seem to make sense for either party. He has 3 years left on his contract why would United want to extend that so far out. And for Rooney if he renegotiates i doubt United would want to extend his deal at his current £250k wage.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I thought he played pretty well today, linked up decently and didn't give the ball away as cheaply as we know he can at times, his link up play with Ibra was encouraging even if there's a case to be made of them both trying to play a little too deep.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I missed the game but I see the new standard for his good game now is that he didn't lose the ball too often. Good to see that he is improving.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
It's more the fact, if you write anything remotely positive about Wayne Rooney it get's immediately jumped on by frothing at the mouth haters. He had a decent game and looks to be about to start the season in half decent form. Like it or not, he will be starting the season as first choice for us, so at the end of the day, him playing better than last season is in our best interests.

Art Vandelay

I missed the game but I see the new standard for his good game now is that he didn't lose the ball too often. Good to see that he is improving.
He did create a few chances to go with the not losing the ball too often. One of them a good through ball to Zlatan that he would have stumbled over and then passed backwards on his worse days.

Yagami

Good post resistant
But he's still a winger mate, so Rooney playing won't mean he's out of position. If Henrikh (need to learn of to spell his name) drifts in Valencia will bomb on on the outside of him. He doesn't need to be hugging the touch line like Kanchelskis or anything.
He's not a winger in the traditional sense but he can play there in the right system. It remains to be seen if we play a system that can use Mkhi's full potential as a RW but seeing as José's seemingly put a lot of effort into scouting since his sacking we'll just have to have faith in his choices.

Oh, and I'm not saying he needs to hug the touchline but he likes to be the playmaker; same as Rooney and Zlatan. If we have all 3 in the team they'll all want to do the same thing and it's better to have some variety in attack. It's why I think having Rashford in for one of them would compliment our attack more.
We'll see maybe Jose can get him somewhere near his best form again, if not we won't need to worry about him messing up attacks as he'll be on the bench.
I think those days are long gone sadly. If not, then great, but it's been so long since I've seen him consistantly play well bar, as I keep saying, his spell as an #8 last year. Even if he does play well, having him as a #10 always looking to be the playmaker, Zlatan as our forward always dropping deep to be our playmaker, and Mkhi cutting inside to be our playmaker is just overboard.

In the game against Everton just gone we seemed so congested in the middle with little width and not much movement. When we did have a runner in behind and have a player out wide it was good, but it was rare as it seemed like everyone wanted to be the one in the middle playmaking. Rooney and Zlatan especially love this.
According to Rene, Kagawa was bought with a view to playing him behind Rooney with Wayne going back up top, it's the same reason we wanted Sneijder the year before. Kagawa was the victim of Van Persies arrival not Rooney. Mata is a great player i think, much better than he's shown under Van Gaal but again he probably shouldn't have been bought as we already had Rooney, Kagawa, Fellaini etc.
I agree with all that. I wasn't so much blaming Rooney himself, more so blaming our previous managers for not giving Kagawa a consistant run of games as our 10 to build on soild showings whereas Rooney got unlimited chances despite his performances there; good or bad.

I sound like I'm saying Kagawa was great there for us whenever he got the chance, but I'm not; far from it. It's just that when he did occasionally play well there he didn't often get the opportunity to really cement his place there.
In Van Gaal's first season Rooney played a lot of it in midfield in those crazy formations Louis was experimenting with, so again Rooney wasn't really playing at the expense of Mata. And then towards the end of the season he went up front as a 9 if i remember correctly.
True. Although, I reckon Rooney's still played as a #10 more than Mata since his arrival, but again, that's on the managers not Rooney himself.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
He was ok, that's it!
Ok is slowly turning into great on this forum, Schweinsteiger also supposedly had a great/maestro performance vs France and Rooney was great in midfield in his first two matches at the euro's. Standard's so poor atm, I can imagine of we beat Burnley 1-0, there will be people thinking we are soon CL contenders by this rate.

Dobbs

Yeah he did alright. All a bit serious for a testimonial which was a shame.

I actually think he could be a decent pundit in the future. We don't get to see him talk about football much but whenever he does its refreshing and straightforward.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Mourinho on MUTV:

“This one is for Wayne Rooney and for the fans in that perspective to show love for a player who has been magnificent for our club,” he told MUTV. “But I’m not a friendly match man. I’m waiting for the big ones!"

“You know, I follow from the outside but close because the season he joined Manchester United is the season I came to England for the first time, 2004. I’ve been here already for two different periods and I was close to it. I can say, because everybody knows, I tried to buy him."

“He is a player I always wanted to have in my side. Finally, I have him and I have him in the club he loves, the club where he has spent the best years of his career. And, I think, the best is yet to come from him."

“I find him full of motivation, full of joy to work every day, and happy to be here as a leader for the young people. He’s my man too. I can say, at this moment, he is my man. I am really happy. I hope he has a great night and he forgives me when I change him. I am going to change him because we have a match on Sunday!”

dichinero

Mourinho on MUTV:

“This one is for Wayne Rooney and for the fans in that perspective to show love for a player who has been magnificent for our club,” he told MUTV. “But I’m not a friendly match man. I’m waiting for the big ones!"

“You know, I follow from the outside but close because the season he joined Manchester United is the season I came to England for the first time, 2004. I’ve been here already for two different periods and I was close to it. I can say, because everybody knows, I tried to buy him."

“He is a player I always wanted to have in my side. Finally, I have him and I have him in the club he loves, the club where he has spent the best years of his career. And, I think, the best is yet to come from him."

“I find him full of motivation, full of joy to work every day, and happy to be here as a leader for the young people. He’s my man too. I can say, at this moment, he is my man. I am really happy. I hope he has a great night and he forgives me when I change him. I am going to change him because we have a match on Sunday!”
And so it begins...again!:nervous:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Mourinho on MUTV:

Minimalist

Thought he played well yesterday for a change - much higher tempo. Movement between him and Zlatan was good. Drab match overall though.

Status
Not open for further replies.