Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Americano

Make America Great Again!
It's crap like that that makes people say some of you have an agenda.

You can critsize Rooney and he has been very poor, especially during 2015 but saying "he can't pass" just proves you don't rate him at all at something he is actually good at.
I don't consider him a good passer at all. In general, he needs too much time on the ball to pick out the right pass. He does not think at the speed of the game to function as a playmaker. Give him lots of time and/or space and he can pick out some passes. Put him under pressure and he is often pushed off the ball or caught in some ponderous move that stops the attack. It happens too often to run the game through him.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I don't consider him a good passer at all. In general, he needs too much time on the ball to pick out the right pass. He does not think at the speed of the game to function as a playmaker. Give him lots of time and/or space and he can pick out some passes. Put him under pressure and he is often pushed off the ball or caught in some ponderous move that stops the attack. It happens too often to run the game through him.
I don't know what to say to that. In the final third Rooney has made a career out of finding the right pass. If you mean long passes/crosses yeah he needs some time for that but that's when he's in midfield. His passing in general, esepcially in the final third is not only pretty accurate, but he sees openings that many other players don't.

shamans

I'm talking about Today Rooney. Not the Rooney ghost of Christmas past.

Today Rooney lacks the speed, strength, ball control, and quick reactions that make up the toolbox of a successful passer.
2015 he lacked many of those things. Today's Rooney -- let's wait 8 days till the season starts. Even when he was playing terribly I thought his passing was alright.

luke511

When he has a lot of time and space around him his pass is great, but when he's under pressure which a no.10 is 90% of the time, it's really lacking. The thing that's worrying me is how long it will take before Mourinho stop's playing him as a no.10. Last season his only good performances came from midfield, every one he played as a forward it held the team majorly back. The change in our game was so apparent when Rashford came onto the scene and Rooney stopped playing up front, we're gonna end up complaining about the same things we did last season before Rashford showed up I can feel it.

Walters_19_MuFc

When he has a lot of time and space around him his pass is great, but when he's under pressure which a no.10 is 90% of the time, it's really lacking. The thing that's worrying me is how long it will take before Mourinho stop's playing him as a no.10. Last season his only good performances came from midfield, every one he played as a forward it held the team majorly back. The change in our game was so apparent when Rashford came onto the scene and Rooney stopped playing up front, we're gonna end up complaining about the same things we did last season before Rashford showed up I can feel it.
Wouldn't that be more to do with Ibrahimovic, seeing as he's going to be occupying the position Rashford plays in?

luke511

Wouldn't that be more to do with Ibrahimovic, seeing as he's going to be occupying the position Rashford plays in?
I see how that sounds more relevant to Ibrahimovic, but Rooney stopped being involved with our lead attacks after Rashford came about, that's what I was referring to.

cyberman

I just heard the most ridiculous...
On TalkSport a journo tried to make a point of how Rooney doesn't have a place at United anymore.
'If I phoned up Everton and asked for Stones and Coleman in exchange for Rooney what would they say?'
'No'
'Exactly!!'
I mean...
Mourinho in Manchester is on TalkSport right now. From what I hear it's 'Let's shit on Jose for a few hours.'

spwd

On TalkSport a journo tried to make a point of how Rooney doesn't have a place at United anymore.
'If I phoned up Everton and asked for Stones and Coleman in exchange for Rooney what would they say?'
'No'
'Exactly!!'
I mean...
Mourinho in Manchester is on TalkSport right now. From what I hear it's 'Let's shit on Jose for a few hours.'
Yup I heard all that and thought exactly the same, so I turned the crap off.

PepsiCola

'No'
'Exactly!!'
I mean...
Was listening earlier myself, they were singing Mourinho's praises! Was an interesting listen about his intelligence and restructuring of the United spine.

W.r.t Rooney however, they've been highly critical of him for a few years now. So it's nothing new (refreshing to hear pundits actually criticise Rooney).

Rajma

Hope Jose doesn't become 3rd manager in a row who stupidly relies on Rooney and gets a boot because of that.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
It's not even a case of he is a scapegoat for critics of the cafe. He is genuinely very poor for this standard of football

Sparky Rhiwabon

Hope Jose doesn't become 3rd manager in a row who stupidly relies on Rooney and gets a boot because of that.
That's my fear. But, on the other hand, if he drops him it's a matter of time before stories find their way into the media about players being unhappy with Jose's methods, unrest, etc.

Jagga7

Mkhitaryan has to take his place. It's becoming ridiculous now, he's been living off reputation for an age.

MDFC Manager

He's going to destroy another regime. Not sure I trust Mourinho to bench him.

Eddy_JukeZ

I know other players have been poor too, but honestly Rooney at times really does take awfulness to a whole level above the rest.

And I'm a huge Rooney fan. The drop in quality the past 2-3 years has been significant.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I think this season could be a really tragic end to his United career. Mourinho has total faith in him but he just doesn't have the quality any more to live up to those expectations. Not sure he has the quality to break the record either. So he might end up leaving next summer having failed to impress a manager who gave him every chance to succeed and within a few goals of one of the biggest personal achievements he could ever have hoped for.

JoaquinJoaquin

Expected that he would be the hindrance to our side this season, and seems I was right. So far past his best it's beyond a joke.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
2015 he lacked many of those things. Today's Rooney -- let's wait 8 days till the season starts. Even when he was playing terribly I thought his passing was alright.
Still happy with that passing?

PepsiCola

Shit first half.

Expect him to score in the second and have some vindication though.

Stringer

On the rare occasion he actually manages to control the damn ball, he just passes sideways or backwards. I really don't see what he offers any more.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
There was 1 point when he was in the middle of the park and tried to drill a pass through a man to the left channel. Shaw wouldn't have been able to control it had it even got there, it was that hard. Then as the ball bounces loose having smacked a Leciester player, he then leaves his position to charge forward and bump into Lingard to vacate the space that Leicester then attack. That space? Only the centre of midfield. No big deal like.

It's not even the touch in isolation any more. It's not even the passing. It's the overall intelligence and awareness too. The whole package is horrible simply far too often.

El Zoido

He'll score a tap in and a penalty against some piss opponent and it'll buy him another two months.

acnumber9

I know other players have been poor too, but honestly Rooney at times really does take awfulness to a whole level above the rest.

And I'm a huge Rooney fan. The drop in quality the past 2-3 years has been significant.
The difference with the other players is they get dropped occasionally. Rooney is a guaranteed starter every time. Obviously he's doing something that keeps his managers happy that I'm missing but he's infuriating to watch. His touch was always poor but he had the speed and explosiveness to get away with it. He just can't play with defenders at his back. Our style of play currently definitely shows the worst of him.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Performances like these are why people tend to criticise him so much. There probably isn't a player in the world who is paid half as much as him or let alone captain at other club who is undroppable who puts this kind of performance quite often as him. Any other player would probably be dropped at half time. Embarrasing stuff.

And btw, I know this is pretty much pre season game but no doubt he will have many games as this considering it happened often last year too.

RedElf

Can't pass in awkward situations nor can he trap a ball in a tight spot. I hope this is just because its pre-season and he's a bit rusty.

shamans

Am I watching a different game?!

I thought he was alright individually. My only concern is if he fits in the team or not in that role.

ottosec

Standard shit performance in the first half. It doesn't look like he works well with Zlatan, they both like to come deep to get the ball.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
He's definitely stopping the team hitting its maximum potential. Why can't some people see this!!!

He can't control even the most basic of balls. His short passing is somehow worse than his long passing. He's lost possesion 7x from what I remember. A couple led to chances for Leicester

Sick to death of him getting time over the likes of miki and Mata who are much better, more effective players.

Danny

Don't think he's particularly stood out like a sore thumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.