5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyJ1985

We play better football without him. He does a good job on the left (and might have been more useful than Lingard today on the left to start with). But overall, if were going towards 433 (which it seems we are and its the right move) going forward theres no place for him. Hes a backup and id rather see others come in instead of him when needed a sub for a goal.
Two points:
1) There's no place for him regardless of the formation we play; he isn't good enough.
2) It'd be ludicrous to pay £300k a week to a player who is backup.

Bottom line is it's best for everyone if he leaves in the summer.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think its meant to embarrass Rooney and his magament into sooner or later getting the message that his wages are far too big for a squad player and he should move on. All of this without Jose rocking the boat in the press or just sticking him up for sale. Great management imo

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
I think its meant to embarrass Rooney and his magament into sooner or later getting the message that his wages are far too big for a squad player and he should move on. All of this without Jose rocking the boat in the press or just sticking him up for sale. Great management imo
Probably "misbehaved" at the Christmas party in London.

He does have previous form over drinking at Christmas....And Summer....And Autumn.....Well, basically the majority of the week really

Ali Dia

Probably "misbehaved" at the Christmas party in London.

He does have previous form over drinking at Christmas....And Summer....And Autumn.....Well, basically the majority of the week really
Hahaha I shouldn't be laughing at this but it's probably TRUE!

He's done in all reality and has been for quite some time. That being said If someone important get injured and he actually steps up and helps I think that would be payback for the last 2 brutal seasons and would validate mourinhos keeping him around no matter how obscene his situation is. If you're not in the first team you shouldn't be getting paid 3 or 4 times as much as players who contribute every week. Himself and bastian should leave in 2017.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Should 100% be his last season.

He can still have value, but it'll be serving as a squad player in the Europa and Reading type cup ties to give others a rotation.

Best case scenario all round is that he scores one more goal, is level with Charlton (for probably evermore), and then disappears off for colossal money abroad for a couple of years before being some sort of ambassador for us.

The Everton move is a "romantic" alternative, but would need to be fairly immediate, before he drops off even Everton starter level. Not to mention Everton needing to produce a colossal wage, probably combined with us putting a few million together a payoff.

That whopping contract will go down as one of the most insane deals in history. Not necessarily for the money, but very much for the length.

Ali Dia

You know what I mean! Bastian should leave asap and he's not going to sell Rooney in this window. God, imagine using those wages on dybala/Icardi and weigl/verratti all players on an upward curve. Out squad with look insane while right now we are spending about the same on wages on two squad players who aren't really being used much.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Should 100% be his last season.

He can still have value, but it'll be serving as a squad player in the Europa and Reading type cup ties to give others a rotation.

Best case scenario all round is that he scores one more goal, is level with Charlton (for probably evermore), and then disappears off for colossal money abroad for a couple of years before being some sort of ambassador for us.

The Everton move is a "romantic" alternative, but would need to be fairly immediate, before he drops off even Everton starter level.
But as he's due a reported £30m + over the last 2 years of his deal, we'd no doubt have to put in £10-15m even if Everton could pay the unlikely high of 100k a week.
And even then he'd be losing out on money!!

dichinero

You know what I mean! Bastian should leave asap and he's not going to sell Rooney in this window. God, imagine using those wages on dybala/Icardi and weigl/verratti all players on an upward curve. Out squad with look insane while right now we are spending about the same on wages on two squad players who aren't really being used much.
That was a joke but anyway I agree. The more I see other players linked to China, the more realise the calibre of players we can bring in with the inflow and the kind of players we can lure with a vacant #10 shirt.

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
Fitness not withstanding, the man deserves a bit more respect please. I agree he's not really close to the first eleven but he has pedigree and will almost certainly be given a chance to beat Sir Bobby's record number of goals before being out out to pasture. No team will pay his wages if / when he leaves unless we pay half so I think we're stuck with him so let's make the most of it.
I can't see him agreeing to a China move ... he can't speak English FFS how would get on in Asia? Not likely!
Yes, the contract was/is longer than necessary, and yes the weekly wage packet is too steep but none of that is his fault?

Finally, I still don't think it's absolutely ridiculous (well maybe a little) to take advantage of his passing ability and consider him as a possible rotational option for Carrick in front of the back four? I don't think Jose would even consider it though.

Minimalist

No comment :smirk:
It really isn't that controversial is it? I mean I haven't seen him lately but for a good few months I was shocked at how out of shape he looked. I'm sure his love of the sesh hasn't helped either (aside from the genuine up turn in form).

Ali Dia

It must be hard to love the sesh and be on 300,000 a week and not be able to partake! ;) I stopped believing in Rooney a long time ago. Fergie had it dead right. He wasn't going to win any other team the league such was his decline but he was a huge name. He does deserve to break the record though seeing as he's been here for so long and was genuinely class at his peak. it's only 2 goals away. please no more world class wages warming the bench next season though. I think the continuity this manager brings means we will see much less of that for as long as he sticks around. This squad while talented and expensive hasn't done very much yet it'll take time to fix and trim.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Press don't even bother to ask Mourinho about him anymore. He's had a great career with us but surely, the writing is on the wall.

Sparky10Legend

Fitness not withstanding, the man deserves a bit more respect please. I agree he's not really close to the first eleven but he has pedigree and will almost certainly be given a chance to beat Sir Bobby's record number of goals before being out out to pasture. No team will pay his wages if / when he leaves unless we pay half so I think we're stuck with him so let's make the most of it.
I can't see him agreeing to a China move ... he can't speak English FFS how would get on in Asia? Not likely!
Yes, the contract was/is longer than necessary, and yes the weekly wage packet is too steep but none of that is his fault?

Finally, I still don't think it's absolutely ridiculous (well maybe a little) to take advantage of his passing ability and consider him as a possible rotational option for Carrick in front of the back four? I don't think Jose would even consider it though.
What passing?, have i missed something?

In my view Rooney has never been creative/effective/imaginative OR reliable with his passing? As Jose said, "I can play a 30 yard pass with no pressure"

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

I really do believe this is one of the positive influences of Zlatan.

We've said before that our captain is not really much of a role model to the younger players. Aside from the drinking, smoking and piling on the pounds any time he has a break, the fact he blames everyone but himself and protects his mates any time the manager criticised them creates a culture of unaccountability.

Zlatan is the complete opposite, he lives like a Monk and holds others to his insanely high standards.

He's played for 5 seasons longer than Wayne and is living proof of the benefits of looking after your body. Any excuses Rooney could come up, a simple gesture to Zlatan is the only answer needed.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What passing?, have i missed something?

In my view Rooney has never been creative/effective/imaginative OR reliable with his passing? As Jose said, "I can play a 30 yard pass with no pressure"
Pogba pinging the ball forward at pace onto the toe of an attacker on the right, left or centre without it floating in the air long enough for the opposition to have a tea break, nap and reorganise has made Rooney's passing look farsical.

Art Vandelay

It must be hard to love the sesh and be on 300,000 a week and not be able to partake! ;) I stopped believing in Rooney a long time ago. Fergie had it dead right. He wasn't going to win any other team the league such was his decline but he was a huge name. He does deserve to break the record though seeing as he's been here for so long and was genuinely class at his peak. it's only 2 goals away. please no more world class wages warming the bench next season though. I think the continuity this manager brings means we will see much less of that for as long as he sticks around. This squad while talented and expensive hasn't done very much yet it'll take time to fix and trim.
He doesn't deserve to break it unless he actually breaks it. He currently hasn't scored enough goals to break it, therefore he doesn't deserve to break it. He's had the chances, he was undroppable for two years and couldn't produce those two extra goals, if his penalty record was better he'd have broken it, but it's not been. If he ever does score the two goals then he will have deserved it. Until then, he doesn't deserve it and barely even deserves a place in the squad.

Edit: Sorry, looks a bit like I'm having a pop at you. I just get irked by the notion that he deserves something he's actually just failed to achieve and only has himself to blame for that failure. Wasn't having a go at you.

Last edited:

TsuWave

Forgot about this guy.

I'd still sell in the summer but it would be a shame to see us not allow him to break the record when he's so close to it. He's come this far, it's only fair we give him a bit of respect and we don't sell him until he breaks it.
eh? at the potential detriment of the team, especially now that we have to make sure we get max points possible? never understood this "he's been here a while so give/show him some respect" talk that i often encounter on forums. We should always select the best team possible, and I feel like if we were to hold those standards true, he'd hardly get a look in.

If its time to sell its time to sell, feck the record, if he manages to break it fine, I just hope we don't shoehorn him in the team or keep him here longer than what's needed just so he can break it.

He doesn't deserve to break it unless he actually breaks it. He currently hasn't scored enough goals to break it, therefore he doesn't deserve to break it.
Exactly. These "he deserves to break the record" posts are so odd.

Ali Dia

He doesn't deserve to break it unless he actually breaks it. He currently hasn't scored enough goals to break it, therefore he doesn't deserve to break it. He's had the chances, he was undroppable for two years and couldn't produce those two extra goals, if his penalty record was better he'd have broken it, but it's not been. If he ever does score the two goals then he will have deserved it. Until then, he doesn't deserve it and barely even deserves a place in the squad.

Edit: Sorry, looks a bit like I'm having a pop at you. I just get irked by the notion that he deserves something he's actually just failed to achieve and only has himself to blame for that failure. Wasn't having a go at you.
I totally agree with you. I'd like to see him break it more than he deserves it. We had a mutually successful relationship up until a few seasons ago but he was huge for us. I think it was there to be broken and it'll be another generation or two before anyone else has a decent crack at it. Same with England too. The numbers are there for all to see.

Sylar

Two points:
1) There's no place for him regardless of the formation we play; he isn't good enough.
2) It'd be ludicrous to pay £300k a week to a player who is backup.

Bottom line is it's best for everyone if he leaves in the summer.
Oh no doubt, I agree. I was thinking more short-term cos hes not going in January, and thinking about from now until Summer.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Exactly. These "he deserves to break the record" posts are so odd.
I've found this whole record thing so strange. Why would the club care if he broke it or not? They only care about winning. Mourinho only cares about winning. The other players only care about winning. I'd even go as far as to say Rooney probably cares about winning more than the record so why should any supporter of Manchester United give a shit about whether he gets it or not.
If he's not good enough to get in the team anymore then feck the record

stevoc

What did Fergie have right?

stevoc

Jaxa

Mourinho has to be praised for having the bollocks to drop him and phase him out and pick players who actually contribute to the team more and now the end is near in terms of his United career,

Rooney's been great for us but I have zero sympathy for someone who is on 300k a week and care's little about fitness than he does, he's been on the decline for a few years now putting in the odd decent performance to mask it, look at Zlatan and then look at Rooney, both highly talented but Zlatan care's so much more where as Wayne come's across as someone who truely believe he's entitled to be in the starting 11 because he's Wayne Rooney,

I do hope he get's the record this season and leave's on a positive but we have better players and he's chosen to let them overtake him in the pecking order

Ali Dia

Can anyone shed any light on if Fergie was actually planning on selling Rooney before he retired or was that wishful thinking in the end? I remember reading that Fergie leaving had got Rooney another chance with the club and reporters asking Rooney after if their relationship had improved after Fergie retired etc?

Djemba-Djemba

Sorry but not this again.

He doesn't have a passing ability anywhere near good enough to be played in midfield and it's been proven over and over again. One of the first things Jose did as Utd manager was put an end to the Rooney in midfield nonsense, he wouldn't consider rotating Rooney in for Carrick because it's a shocking idea.

Ali Dia

Mourinho has to be praised for having the bollocks to drop him and phase him out and pick players who actually contribute to the team more and now the end is near in terms of his United career,

Rooney's been great for us but I have zero sympathy for someone who is on 300k a week and care's little about fitness than he does, he's been on the decline for a few years now putting in the odd decent performance to mask it, look at Zlatan and then look at Rooney, both highly talented but Zlatan care's so much more where as Wayne come's across as someone who truely believe he's entitled to be in the starting 11 because he's Wayne Rooney,

I do hope he get's the record this season and leave's on a positive but we have better players and he's chosen to let them overtake him in the pecking order
I agree with everything here. A 300k a week player finishing out of the top 4 in 2/3 seasons is bad going too. He's been poor for such a long time now.

Edgio

With all Rooney has done in his career, the expectation he has dealt with, he deserves a good sesh if he fancies one. But he doesn't deserve that record if he's not dedicated enough to try and beat it. This year should be his last, he adds little or no value nowadays.

clarkydaz

stevoc

Thats one journalist quoting another journalist who says had Ferguson still been manager in 2015 he would have sold him before the season started. He claims Ferguson told him this in a private conversation. That may or may not be true but theres nothing there to suggest he would have sold him in 2013 before he retired.

Former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson reportedly revealed he would have sold veteran striker Wayne Rooney during the 2015 summer transfer window had he still been in charge of the club.

Last edited:

Bwuk

With all Rooney has done in his career, the expectation he has dealt with, he deserves a good sesh if he fancies one. But he doesn't deserve that record if he's not dedicated enough to try and beat it. This year should be his last, he adds little or no value nowadays.
No he doesn't. While we are paying him £300k a week, he should be looking after himself and have his body at peak physical condition.

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
Sorry but not this again.

He doesn't have a passing ability anywhere near good enough to be played in midfield and it's been proven over and over again. One of the first things Jose did as Utd manager was put an end to the Rooney in midfield nonsense, he wouldn't consider rotating Rooney in for Carrick because it's a shocking idea.
Yeah, you're probably right. My bad. With my rose-tinted glasses I only remember the good passes and goals he scored. :rolleyes:
All we can do now is wait & see what Jose does. Assuming Rooney gets fit enough to make the squad, which given his injury & his love of meat pies & pints, may not be any time soon but if/when he does; "In Jose I trust"

dichinero

The only he had was the 72.16 yard diagonal pass travelling @ 3m/hr down the right but Pogba has come and smashed that

Ali Dia

Cheers! I always thought their relationship had broken down right before Fergie retired and that if he had stayed on Rooneys days here were numbered more or less.

I always sell him in FM straight away for years now. Get someone ruthless in again. Rooney was brilliant but he hasn't been for a long time. I wonder if he'll have a few more decent games season though. Couple of (very expensive) goals would be very handy like!

Ashley R1+O

Fitness not withstanding, the man deserves a bit more respect please.
Agreed. He finally gets dropped which will supposedly make everything better and now he's injured and not even playing and still gets venomous bilge trotted out on here. :lol:

I honestly thought I was getting pretty filthy at the start of last season at him but I eventually came on here and read some of the complete drivel being trollied out on a regular basis and was gobsmacked. The same users over and over posting the same circular rubbish and everyone else falling over themselves to pat each other on the back for it. It's incredibly weird in my opinion.

He's being used sparingly, contributing to good things when he gets the playing time and I think that is all people can ask for. It couldn't be a better situation for some of the people who are so desperate to moan about him relentlessly. Yet still the same gabbing on and on trying desperately to conjure up something to whinge about. He'll more than likely not be signing a new deal at a year to go in his contract (though it wouldn't surprise me if some of the ambassadorial clauses in his contract keeps him at the club somehow) and will probably go on a free to Everton but until that happens I don't know why people go out of their way to recycle the trash bags for attention on here.

Didn't Red Issue look like complete twonks after trying to claim booze ban last year? What a bunch of munters who run that ridiculous site.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Agreed. He finally gets dropped which will supposedly make everything better and now he's injured and not even playing and still gets venomous bilge trotted out on here. :lol:

I honestly thought I was getting pretty filthy at the start of last season at him but I eventually came on here and read some of the complete drivel being trollied out on a regular basis and was gobsmacked. The same users over and over posting the same circular rubbish and everyone else falling over themselves to pat each other on the back for it. It's incredibly weird in my opinion.

He's being used sparingly, contributing to good things when he gets the playing time and I think that is all people can ask for. It couldn't be a better situation for some of the people who are so desperate to moan about him relentlessly. Yet still the same gabbing on and on trying desperately to conjure up something to whinge about. He'll more than likely not be signing a new deal at a year to go in his contract (though it wouldn't surprise me if some of the ambassadorial clauses in his contract keeps him at the club somehow) and will probably go on a free to Everton but until that happens I don't know why people go out of their way to recycle the trash bags for attention on here.

Didn't Red Issue look like complete twonks after trying to claim booze ban last year? What a bunch of munters who run that ridiculous site.
Well, the quotes are real. They're from Tuesday's edition of the Times.

Status
Not open for further replies.