g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Wayne Rooney image 10

Wayne Rooney England flag

2016-17 Performances

View full 2016-17 profile

5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If he scores another two goals then yes he does. Why wouldn't he deserve it?
Because he was given a bumper contract by a clueless manager when he should have been shown the door and has subsequently been a burden on the club for over 2 years now.

What he actually deserves was a transfer in the summer, I don't believe stumbling over the line as a bit part player against lesser opposition is a fitting way of earning such a prestigious title.

stevoc

Because he was given a bumper contract by a clueless manager when he should have been shown the door and has subsequently been a burden on the club for over 2 years now.
Well to be honest i doubt you can really blame Moyes for that, and trust me i would like to because the contract was too long. But the club clearly had it in their plans to keep Rooney before Moyes was even hired Ferguson said as much. No manager would have sold him at that point having just taken over the champions and succeeding Ferguson. Lets be realistic.

What he actually deserves was a transfer in the summer, I don't believe stumbling over the line as a bit part player against lesser opposition is a fitting way of earning such a prestigious title.
Maybe but Mourinho decided against that for some reason.

On the record feck sake mate its just a goal scoring record. Not a record that only consists of important or spectacular goals all goals. He may or may not score two more and he may or may not score them against lesser opposition. Even if he does its not a big deal. Were every single one of Charltons goals only against top opposition and/or important goals, no obviously not.

Rooney scored over 200 goals for United before he declined many important ones and many vs top opposition. You'd have to be bitter to begrudge him the record now just because he might break the record in the league cup against Hull or in the EL or something.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Well to be honest i doubt you can really blame Moyes for that, and trust me i would like to because the contract was too long. But the club clearly had it in their plans to keep Rooney before Moyes was even hired Ferguson said as much. No manager would have sold him at that point having just taken over the champions and succeeding Ferguson. Lets be realistic.

Maybe but Mourinho decided against that for some reason.

On the record feck sake mate its just a goal scoring record. Not a record that only consists of important or spectacular goals all goals. He may or may not score two more and he may or may not score them against lesser opposition. Even if he does its not a big deal. Were every single one of Charltons goals only against top opposition and/or important goals, no obviously not.

Rooney scored over 200 goals for United before he declined many important ones and many vs top opposition. You'd have to be bitter to begrudge him the record now just because he might break the record in the league cup against Hull or in the EL or something.
I've no loyalty to Rooney for what he has achieved here because his actions over the years have only proven that he achieved it for his own personal gain and he couldn't give two shits about the club. He's a toffee who will be put into some sort of ambassador role here when his playing days are over only to show up a couple of time a season when his Everton season ticket permits it.

As for the club keeping him, it's well established that Ferguson had done all he could to unsettle him with a view to selling him.

He benched him for the big games that season and he told the world Rooney had put in a transfer request when he'd done no such thing.

Fergie saw the end was nigh for him and he was pushing him out.

As for the record, I think it's losing its shine more and more as the season goes on. The balloons and fireworks are getting too dusty to get out and the audience no longer cares.

What was probably planned to be a DVD special, match day programme centre spread and guard of honour will probably now just be a polite standing ovation and Paddy telling us he's still got 10 years in him.

stevoc

I've no loyalty to Rooney for what he has achieved here because his actions over the years have only proven that he achieved it for his own personal gain and he couldn't give two shits about the club. He's a toffee who will be put into some sort of ambassador role here when his playing days are over only to show up a couple of time a season when his Everton season ticket permits it.

As for the club keeping him, it's well established that Ferguson had done all he could to unsettle him with a view to selling him.

He benched him for the big games that season and he told the world Rooney had put in a transfer request when he'd done no such thing.

As for the record, I think it's losing its shine more and more as the season goes on. The balloons and fireworks are getting too dusty to get out and the audience no longer cares.

What was probably planned to be a DVD special, match day programme centre spread and guard of honour will probably now just be a polite standing ovation and Paddy telling us he's still got 10 years in him.
I think thats how some people like to interpret events. But the truth is Ferguson never actually said he put in a transfer request the papers said that. Ferguson only said he had asked to leave which he basically did. Ferguson said he and the club were not going to let him leave. If he was looking to push him out i doubt he would announce to the world that Rooney was unhappy and wanted to leave thereby pushing his price down. Ferguson is smarter than that.

Anyway on the record if you don't like him thats fair enough, theres been a few players over the years i haven't really liked. But i appreciated the good things they did for United and if any of them had scored 240+ goals for the club i wouldn't begrudge them the record. I don't understand why it really matters so much it's only a scoring record. It was going to be broken sometime, once it is it will be forgotten about for another 20-30 years until someone else gets close to it.

Ashley R1+O

Well, you've no evidence to suggest he didn't get a booze ban...Where as, there is plenty of evidence to suggest he probably did, as he got Christmas booze bans before.
No there isn't, you're talking absolute gruel. Why would Van Gaal, MUTV staff, players and associated press cover up an apparent booze ban in this instance? There are loads of interviews of people saying he was injured before the West Ham game and would be out of action against Wolfsburg as well. This is no more than a case of "well it could be true so I am going to go around telling people it is because you can't dispute it". Embarrassingly scraping the bottom of the barrel to get digs in.
So, Rooney has been phased out and we are now on our best winning/unbeaten run in a very long time.
We look like a team who are on the rise and are the form team of the moment.
And Rooney has not been part of this.
:confused: he played in two of the wins against Palace and WBA and played well in both games and contributed an assist in the latter.
So what did you expect from the Wayne Rooney camp? To come out and own up to his misdemeanours? As far credibility goes, both sides can be accused of having their own agendas, so it's it matter of which one you want to believe.
I'm sorry, what? You mean the time he came out and apologized for the actual incident thrashed out in the tabloids at the end of last year on international duty?.. RI has absolutely zero credibility end of so we won't be believing them. Coming on here and throwing their scandalous rubbish around trying to facilitate it is a low act to garner attention and continue the circle-jerk by throwing around more speculative chancy material to get more digs in.

Let it go ffs, Mourinho is managing the situation properly, the best way everyone wanted. Lowering the burden on the team and man-managing him properly by bringing him into situations where he can play and contribute. I don't hear him moaning about it either (for somebody who owns the media with such mogul-like prowess). There is plenty of spike you can dig into Rooney for many reasons and I'll gladly be in on that for sure, but this desperation to beat up yet another fan concocted scenario to have another circular self-serving moan fit is completely unnecessary.

littleman

At the end of the day, Rooney is a legend for his achievements at the right era for MUFC.

Means nothing about whether we should play him next game, or the game after.

If he's not relevant, he should stay out of the team. Legends don't walk into teams, they still have to earn the right to play. The only thing they've earned the right to without playing the next game, is history.

Djemba-Djemba

:lol: Can definitely see Paddy saying that.

Phil Neville will be on twitter saying he's got 20 years left.

clarkydaz

I think thats how some people like to interpret events. But the truth is Ferguson never actually said he put in a transfer request the papers said that. Ferguson only said he had asked to leave which he basically did. Ferguson said he and the club were not going to let him leave. If he was looking to push him out i doubt he would announce to the world that Rooney was unhappy and wanted to leave thereby pushing his price down. Ferguson is smarter than that.

Anyway on the record if you don't like him thats fair enough, theres been a few players over the years i haven't really liked. But i appreciated the good things they did for United and if any of them had scored 240+ goals for the club i wouldn't begrudge them the record. I don't understand why it really matters so much it's only a scoring record. It was going to be broken sometime, once it is it will be forgotten about for another 20-30 years until someone else gets close to it.
Ferguson said he wouldn't sell Real Madrid a virus

AndyJ1985

Hope he gets his double, so we can forget about him.
He could score two flukes off his fat arse and there would be a massive fanfare, spearheaded by Robbie Savage and Gary Neville telling us we were mad for ever writing him off and he's still world class.

stevoc

Ferguson said he wouldn't sell Real Madrid a virus
Thats neither here nor there with regards to Rooney, back then i think he was actually talking about the 'mob' that were currently in charge of Real Calderon etc. But that was obviously bullshit even before Ronaldo was sold, seeing as he'd sold them players the previous two summers.

Ferguson talked a lot of shit over the years, still nothing concrete to indicate he wanted to sell Rooney in 2013 though. He said we're (the club) not going to let him go and they didn't. For all the bullshit he came off at times most of the time he was candid.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Today's not the day for negative comments. Well done Wayne. Thanks for all of the goals. A superb achievement and we're all grateful.

AndyJ1985

How fitting that he equals the record by completely missing the kick and fluking it in with his knee :lol:

Congrats to him though, it's a great achievement.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
He has fulfilled every wish anyone could have asked of him when he signed for the club.

Top top Manchester United legend.

Well done Wayne!

IrishRedDevil

Congratulation, Captain! Very well deserved.

Been a great player for us and in me eyes he will go down as a Club Legend.

El Zoido

Congrats, Wayne. Will probably get the record in this game because Reading look capable of shipping 5+ here if we're up for it.

Smudge

Nothing makes me more happier than seeing Rooney's name on the team sheet

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Sir Bobby looked genuinely delighted for him, which was nice. He hasn't missed a game for months as he clearly wants to be there for his record being broken.

Anyway. Delighted for Rooney. He'll never be my favourite United player. But there's no doubt he's a club great. That record will stand for a long time you'd imagine. Obviously it would be great if Rashford or Martial were threatening it at some point in their careers, but in all likelihood, it'll be there for a while.

Anyway, let's see goal 250 today.

wr8_utd

:'(
He's been absolutely magnificent. Right from the great first touch to the goal to the lovely linkup play and the brilliant balls to Rashford and Martial. He should always play up top when he does play.

Status
Not open for further replies.