5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

dichinero

Why is so hard just to appreciate a good performance? No one is calling for him to start playing important games or calling him "brilliant" again. He had a super game today and that's about it. The sort of toxicity in this thread is really sad.
The irony. Most will agree that it was a good game then some like you start saying it was a super game and start complaining that there are counter comments.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Anyone else find it ridiculous when commentators say that "Rooney just loves to play football. He'd be as happy playing in the local park as he is at Old Trafford."

If he really loved the game so much, he'd keep himself in top shape and not be washed up at 31. Ibrahimovic is a player that loves playing football, look at his immaculate conditioning at 35 to still be one of the best players in the league.

RRCE

Rooney obviously divides opinion. He will never be universally loved, which is fair enough. Some of his antics over the years have seen to that. Regardless of your opinion of him, though, there's no denying that he's had an excellent career with the club. To match Sir Bobby's record is an amazing accomplishment. We should all be thankful for his service to United and congratulate him on equalling the record. He'll soon be our all-time leading scorer, which will be fully deserved.

As far as his performance today is concerned, I have mixed thoughts. On the one hand, he was clearly good on the day. He had a goal and an assist, and contributed throughout. In truth, this is probably his top level at this point. On the other hand, he's a country mile from the player he once was. His pace, power, touch and aggressiveness have all dwindled significantly. That was evident, even today. That's not intended as a criticism. It's simply the product of time. He's played a tremendous amount of top flight football from a young age, and it's caught up with him.

It's clear that his days as a starter are over. He may even well leave the club before he hangs up his boots for good. Regardless, he deserves some respect today.

WyoManU

I thought he was quite good today and full of energy. Maybe he realizes that he has to fight for a spot now. This is how it should be and we might see a better wazza for it.

OldTrevil

The record was there for the taking and then some, atrocious finishing but did everything else very well.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Why is so hard just to appreciate a good performance? No one is calling for him to start playing important games or calling him "brilliant" again. He had a super game today and that's about it. The sort of toxicity in this thread is really sad.
It's Reading at Old Trafford, let's keep it in context.

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Quite funny reading all the posts which are trying to put down Rooney's achievement, shinned goal etc.

Great achievement, and fully deserved as well.

R300k

T A
Oh right. I was about to say how on earth is that decided. Not sure I agree but still, the rest of the records speak for themselves.
It is http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/17946376

official voted for the first 20 PL seasons in 2012, surpassing both Bergkamp's and Henry's goal. So I dont think any goals coming after that landmark can compare with these ones, in term of not only beauty but also importance in such a very high-class match and intensity. Even keep voting again years after years, results would be the same

Sylar

Should have had the record, surprised he didnt dink that chance in the second half, was hoping he would get it today and out the way.
I did like his pretend volley but instead use his knee to get it into net :P

All kidding aside, his linkup with Rashford and Martial today was really good especially first half. His control and first touch at times were a throwback to when he was really useful. Congrats to him.

Maybe he gets the record as a sub against Liverpool lol

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
It is http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/17946376

official voted for the first 20 PL seasons in 2012, surpassing both Bergkamp's and Henry's goal. So I dont think any goals coming after that landmark can compare with these ones, in term of not only beauty but also importance in such a very high-class match and intensity. Even keep voting again years after years, results would be the same
If you saw that face for the first time and someone then told you he was vain enough about his appearance to get a hair operation and wear purple hair spray you'd bust a gut laughing.

R300k

T A
Legend!

Love your id
Me too bro :D Wazza must be the most special legend in football history with all conflicts he made but the important thing is that he had always stayed with us. And now he has got his 1st position he deserved in United history and will be there may be forever. Everything coming later, bench, China, US, Everton, MC, Chelsea, Real, Barca or extending with new 500k contract :D... doesnt matter anymore

R300k

T A
If you saw that face for the first time and someone then told you he was vain enough about his appearance to get a hair operation and wear purple hair spray you'd bust a gut laughing.
my bad, only pic found with that award, not even google can save his handsome look :lol:

Last edited:

RedRoach

The Cafe is either black or a white, shades or grey are more difficult for people to comprehend. He had a good game. The goal was lucky, but some of his passing was incisive and good. Reading gave our players so much time on the ball and with the lack of the pressing you get in the Premier League he had more time to make those passes.

He should in no way be back in the first eleven however. IMO we must play Martial, Ibra and Mhiki as our first choice front 3.

Art Vandelay

:lol: Jesus Christ!

To be fair though, with the amount of stick he's taken for his appearance the guy probably has a bit of a complex and was doing what he could. Misguided perhaps, but grannies are picky these days and you can't blame a player for trying to up his game.

wr8_utd

:'(
It's Reading at Old Trafford, let's keep it in context.
Like I've said a million times now, I'm not calling for him to be reinstated to the team on the back of a good peformance vs Reading. I'm just praising it for what it was, whatever the opposition.

wr8_utd

:'(
The Cafe is either black or a white, shades or grey are more difficult for people to comprehend. He had a good game. The goal was lucky, but some of his passing was incisive and good. Reading gave our players so much time on the ball and with the lack of the pressing you get in the Premier League he had more time to make those passes.

He should in no way be back in the first eleven however. IMO we must play Martial, Ibra and Mhiki as our first choice front 3.
Ofcourse, I completely agree with that. Only way he plays league games is if Mkhi and Martial are both injured. For me he definitely should be starting over Lingard though as he's way way more productive than him. Martial and Mkhi are first choice but I'd rather see Mata, Rooney and Rashford start ahead of Lingard in the future.

Art Vandelay

Ofcourse, I completely agree with that. Only way he plays league games is if Mkhi and Martial are both injured. For me he definitely should be starting over Lingard though as he's way way more productive than him. Martial and Mkhi are first choice but I'd rather see Mata, Rooney and Rashford start ahead of Lingard in the future.
Shouldn't he be behind Mata and Rashford in the pecking order too?

Acole9

Outstanding
He had a good game today, it was good to see him equal the record but I don't really get all the hysteria because that's all he has done really is equal it, he's got to break it now to stand out on his own.

Ashley R1+O

That was up there with his best performances this season. A good poachy goal and a very good assist. He looked very sharp in the buildup which was impressive.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
That was up there with his best performances this season. A good poachy goal and a very good assist. He looked very sharp in the buildup which was impressive.
Hopefully we get a similar draw in the next round.

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
Did everything expected of him today including "the" goal to match Sir Bobby's long-held mark. And let me disagree with the posters who claimed it was lucky - clearly you lot haven't played football at any reasonably high level because it's not just about getting a perfect contact on the ball every time and having it rip into the back of the net. What's important is being in the right place at the right time often enough and having the timing and balance to get any part of your body onto the pill and scruff it if necessary to get your team in the lead! Sorry kids, that's not luck! That's why the goal-scorer's get the big bucks, not because every shot is perfectly struck.
I've said it before & say it again, too many United "supporters" on here are obsessed with slating Rooney when, in fairness, he showed again today, despite the meat pies and the odd night out & being caught with a pint in his hand, his range of passing is pretty damn fine and when called upon, he "occasionally" puts the ball in the back of the net.
Now where did I put that anorak?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Am hoping he gets another 3. Just in case they do in future years dig into the very unclear reasons why Charlton's 2 goals v Verona at the end of his career weren't counted!

stevoc

Am hoping he gets another 3. Just in case they do in future years dig into the very unclear reasons why Charlton's 2 goals v Verona at the end of his career weren't counted!
Theres not much danger of United changing their stance on those goals any time soon i would imagine. As they havent counted them in Charltons tally for decades.

They aren't counted because they were in the Anglo Italian cup. That competition is lumped in with the likes of the Intertoto and Fairs cups in being glorified friendly/exhibition games. Not even sure if the Anglo Italian was recognised by Uefa.

Zlaatan

Parody Account

Icemav

Should have had the record, surprised he didnt dink that chance in the second half, was hoping he would get it today and out the way.
I did like his pretend volley but instead use his knee to get it into net :P

All kidding aside, his linkup with Rashford and Martial today was really good especially first half. His control and first touch at times were a throwback to when he was really useful. Congrats to him.

Maybe he gets the record as a sub against Liverpool lol
Very happy for his goal.

Overall a good'ish performance. Played well until the last quarter where he slipped into his usual bad habits of giving the ball away extremely poorly for a top level player, which stuffs up the team.

Mou is managing him perfectly.

Djemba-Djemba

I think it's only fair to let him take the acclaim yesterday. It's a fantastic accomplishment to go level with Sir Bobby and he deserves to be praised for that.

I'm not his biggest fan but you have to be fair and congratulate him for it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Theres not much danger of United changing their stance on those goals any time soon i would imagine. As they havent counted them in Charltons tally for decades.

They aren't counted because they were in the Anglo Italian cup. That competition is lumped in with the likes of the Intertoto and Fairs cups in being glorified friendly/exhibition games. Not even sure if the Anglo Italian was recognised by Uefa.
Sounds reasonable.
Although Rooney has the charity shield included doesn't he? Which doesn't seem to follow. Although i'm happy with those being included.

Luckily, he'll most likely get a few more to remove even the slightest doubt

stevoc

Sounds reasonable.
Although Rooney has the charity shield included doesn't he? Which doesn't seem to follow. Although i'm happy with those being included.

Luckily, he'll most likely get a few more to remove even the slightest doubt
Not sure mate, i suppose they would be included as they are regarded as a competitive match. But it wouldn't really make much difference i think Rooney only has one Charity Shield goal anyway. And if they are included i'm sure Charlton has at least one goal in the shield also, so it would even out.

Edit: Charlton actually has two goals in the CS, Rooney only one.

Status
Not open for further replies.