5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

Yet quite possibly not in our 30 best players of all time.

30 is being generous too.
So what do you think really top 50? Top 40 at a push?

Our joint highest ever goalscorer, yet wouldn't make the top 30 players the club has ever had. Yeah that seems reasonable.

Sparky10Legend

So what do you think really top 50? Top 40 at a push?

Our joint highest ever goalscorer, yet wouldn't make the top 30 players the club has ever had. Yeah that seems reasonable.

Personally, he would be around 40.

No white text, no intentional bias etc etc. Would he be a better player than Rio, clearly not. Funnily enough he has more goals than Rio.

stevoc

Personally, he would be around 40.

No white text, no intentional bias etc etc. Would he be a better player than Rio, clearly not. Funnily enough he has more goals than Rio.
Out of interest have you actually thought this out, by that i mean do you have an actual list of 40 United players that you seen play regularly who you think are better than Rooney or was that just an arbitrary number?

dichinero

Out of interest have you actually thought this out, by that i mean do you have an actual list of 40 United players that you seen play regularly who you think are better than Rooney or was that just an arbitrary number?
Tbh, I don't think anyone can dispute his ranking achievement wise but putting the whole career into context I can see why he may not make the top 20 players of many lists. 40 is a big reach but I'm sure you know what he means anyway

stevoc

Tbh, I don't think anyone can dispute his ranking achievement wise but putting the whole career into context I can see why he may not make the top 20 players of many lists. 40 is a big reach but I'm sure you know what he means anyway
Yeah just a bit.

Look mate i could easily see someone make a reasonable case for Rooney not being one of Uniteds top 15-20 players of all time considering the players we've had. Especially if they are old enough to have seen the 60's side or maybe even the busby babes. He might not make my top 10-15 if i thought about it.

But not top 30-40-50 is just hyperbole i feel.

fatboy

Tough to rate him against a defender or goalkeeper, just can't be done because the contribution to the team is just so different.

Against other forwards/strikers, he should still (kinda) make the top 10.

I think the problem with Wayne is the unexpected drop-off so early in his career. The last 2-3 years have really worked against him in terms of impressions. He was amazing at one point, but most might have forgotten that by now.

Ashley R1+O

Sparky10Legend

:lol: the absolute state you've gotta be in, pal. Keep on rockin' in the free world.

In English, or is that ghetto speak?

Did he shin it in, yes.
Has he been crap for 3 years, yes.
Has there been 40 better United players since circa 1955!, yes.

BTW I could have put my first sentence better, no offence intended on a personal level. I apologise.

Last edited:

Sparky10Legend

This Sparky fellow might just hate Rooney even more than the others on here and that's saying something.
I don't hate him, honestly.

I just find the whole over deification of his career and his goals etc way too far ott.

Played well at one international tourney, never been the main man for United, every single "ok" goal has been described as world class by idiots like Robbie Savage etc etc.

I'm not being harsh, but come on even his goal against City, he shinned in.

Sparky10Legend

OK, not gonna enter into huge debate on each selection , ive tried to be objective so here goes. I'm not going to include the likes of Dwight Yorke as that would be taking the micky as he only really had 1 top season with us.

First 20 - No particular order

Robson/Keane Scholes/Giggs/Beckham /Charlton/Best/Cantona/Schmeichel /Rio/Vidic/Irwin/RvN/Edwards/Law/Ronaldo/Pallister /Vds /Sparky /Carrick.

Duafc

Village Lemon
OK, not gonna enter into huge debate on each selection , ive tried to be objective so here goes. I'm not going to include the likes of Dwight Yorke as that would be taking the micky as he only really had 1 top season with us.

Robson/Keane Scholes/Giggs/Beckham /Charlton/Best/Cantona/Schmeichel /Rio/Vidic/Irwin/RvN/Edwards/Law/Ronaldo/Pallister /Vds /Sparky /Carrick.
Objectively speaking, what are you basing those on?

Because objectively there's not much of an argument for around half of them. Won less, played less, scored less, assisted less, contributed less, left for other clubs etc etc.

Seems pretty far from objectivity, though I appreciate you only said you tried.

Sparky10Legend

The next 20 , far far FAR more touch and go. I ACCEPT that 100%

Vida/Buchan /Taylor/Yip Yap/Cole/Stiles/Butt.

OK, I'm stopping there as realistically Rooney would be 24/25 on my list. As I say, it's nothing personal I've just never rated him (aside from first 2 years).

Sparky10Legend

Objectively speaking, what are you basing those on?

Because objectively there's just no argument for at least half of them. Won less, played less, scored less, assisted less, contributed less, left for other clubs etc etc.

Seems pretty far from objectivity, though I appreciate you only said you tried.

So you would have Rooney in front of some of the first 20, that does surprise me.

And that's it ,my 5 posts gone.

I've already said he would be 24/25 so that puts him in the mix with the likes of Vidic etc. Apology for him being in twice.

Last edited:

prath92

He is a bigger legend than the likes of Yorke Hughes Cole Butt Carrick.

Also you have vidic twice in the list? Or is that vida someone else?

Duafc

Village Lemon
The next 20 , far far FAR more touch and go. I ACCEPT that 100%

Vida/Buchan /Taylor/Yip Yap/Cole/Stiles/Butt.

OK, I'm stopping there as realistically Rooney would be 24/25 on my list. As I say, it's nothing personal I've just never rated him (aside from first 2 years).
You already had Vidic.

I'm genuinely impressed that you can look past an entire careers service, umpteen trophies, record breaking amount of goals, buckets of assists, captainship and everything else and still land on 'yeah I just don't rate him'.

And that's about a United player!!!

Duafc

Village Lemon
So you would have Rooney in front of some of the first 20, that does surprise me.

And that's it ,my 5 posts gone.
Thankfully.

I think it's a bit silly to try and rank players from different eras playing in different positions. Objectively you have to look at contribution, through goals, assists and trophies but also just the general effect the player had on the club, Keane and Cantona for example would be right at the top of any of my lists, but neither won or scored as many as others.

I'd have Rooney above Beckham (close one), Schmeichel, Irwin , RvN, VdS, Sparky, Carrick, Vidic and probably Rio.

Almost all of those players have the benefit of having retired. In 10 years people will judge Rooney much more fairly once the pansies who slate him week in week out have moved on.

NoPace

It's not rocket science. At this stage of his career, Rooney is really only good enough to be a starter for at best, a team like Southampton or Everton and only then as a 10 (he just doesn't have the legs for a wide spot or to lead the line) who will have more bad than good games but by virtue of his calm finishing and good movement, can score 10ish goals and have a healthy number of assists while not actually being great, sort of like a mediocre Tim Cahill Everton season or a Kevin Nolan Bolton season.

Rooney looks awful most of the time but can still be sort of productive in the exact right role, which isn't here. He'll probably go to China or MLS, but give him, say, Ighalo's job finding knockoffs from Deeney or Morrison's job as a 10 at West Brom surrounded by Chadli, Phillips and Rondon and he could be a very useful footballer with fine stats for a midtable player.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

No way they should be higher in the list than Rooney.

wr8_utd

:'(
No way they should be higher in the list than Rooney.
RvN was a legend but yes he really can't be a bigger legend for this club than Rooney. As for Ronaldo, he had 3 seasons where he was a mixed bag and 3 sensational seasons. He kicked up a fuss and left the club to spend his best years (and 300 goals) elsewhere and yet somehow he's higher up in the list than Rooney

Varun

Staff

Not to take the piss but when you said you wouldn't have him in your top 30/40, I really thought you'd be some 80yr old who'd seen the busby babes days and was actually looking forward to seeing your list. :lol:

cvonm

Statistics points to a real honorable top position - among the best in the United history.
Silverware points to the same position.

Contract-wise, off-the-pitch-wise and the last years-wise points in a totally different direction.
But what the hell, combined, let put him in the honorable mentions section.

Sparky10Legend

Not to take the piss but when you said you wouldn't have him in your top 30/40, I really thought you'd be some 80yr old who'd seen the busby babes days and was actually looking forward to seeing your list. :lol:

Well im 43 so almost.

Would you have preferred me to make names up for the sake of it? Such as Yorke etc?

Nah, i got to 22/23 and realized thats was i was doing so ,bias aside, id have him between 18-25.

@wr8_utd

I completely understand what youre saying, and i accept its a grey area, but we arent talking about longest servent/most games so i tried to include people who had,at the very least, 3 great seasons with us.

Otherwise there is no questions, as its just an app list/goals list?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Unfortunately it was a miss. Good to see that he is on the pitch though.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Hopefully his early departure doesn't mean he's starting at the weekend.

Thought he was poor tonight, doesn't work having him and Mata in the same team, must be either/or.

Status
Not open for further replies.