g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Wayne Rooney image 10

Wayne Rooney England flag

2016-17 Performances

View full 2016-17 profile

5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Djemba-Djemba

I think Mourinho definitely fancies him. Hence the reference to his record-breaking goal being a big one and subbing him off so early against Hull. He's nailed on to start on Sunday IMHO.
I really hope not.

Who is he getting in ahead of do you think? He's not in better form than any of the other potential starters.

Ashley R1+O

Scored a banger there last year though. I think he is probably the best two-way option for the left hand side, there is no point playing him through the middle because we should probably be playing 4-3-3 with a deep lying midfielder behind Pogba-Herrera.

Pogba struggles when Rooney doesn't move he's like a roundabout at 10 nowadays and congests our play.
Completely disagree, it doesn't matter who it is. Mata, Mkhi or the floater that plays there when the LF/RF/10 interchange. There is no point having Zlatan coming deep and not pushing Pogba forward into the space using a deep lying playmaker. In my opinion, structurally it just doesn't work properly and shows through Pogba/Zlatans play. It has nothing to do with who it is.

He's nailed on to start on Sunday IMHO.
Agreed, he's more solid tracking back than Martial though Martial is more deadly going forward. He's probably a better all-round option than a Lingard/Mata/Mkhi. We will see though, coming off the bench against tired legs will be just as good. If Zlatan isn't ready he can just as easily play up front but I'd probably put Rashford there and still have him on the left as I stated earlier.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Scored a banger there last year though. I think he is probably the best two-way option for the left hand side, there is no point playing him through the middle because we should probably be playing 4-3-3 with a deep lying midfielder behind Pogba-Herrera.

Completely disagree, it doesn't matter who it is. Mata, Mkhi or the floater that plays there when the LF/RF/10 interchange. There is no point having Zlatan coming deep and not pushing Pogba forward into the space using a deep lying playmaker. In my opinion, structurally it just doesn't work properly and shows through Pogba/Zlatans play. It has nothing to do with who it is.

Agreed, he's more solid tracking back than Martial though Martial is more deadly going forward. He's probably a better all-round option than a Lingard/Mata/Mkhi. We will see though, coming off the bench against tired legs will be just as good. If Zlatan isn't ready he can just as easily play up front but I'd probably put Rashford there and still have him on the left as I stated earlier.
Have you watched Rooney much live? (I know that sounds like I'm being a dick but I'm not I'm serious as you see his lack of movement better) His mobility has deteriorated massively. I was a huge Rooney fan and still rate him as a legend but when your times up its up and we are accommodating him when he plays nowadays unfortunately.

Ashley R1+O

Have you watched Rooney much live? (I know that sounds like I'm being a dick but I'm not I'm serious as you see his lack of movement better) His mobility has deteriorated massively. I was a huge Rooney fan and still rate him as a legend but when your times up its up and we are accommodating him when he plays nowadays unfortunately.
Yep, still disagree it doesn't matter who it is and I think it is structural as shown by the same symptoms when Rooney has been sat at various points. All good, we can agree to disagree.

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
No way Rooney's starting in my books. I'd like to think we have a solid start by picking the team most posters have chosen that includes Mhkiki from the beginning.
Be up a goal or better still two, with Liverpool tiring and then, maybe have Rooney come on and finish 'em off with a goal to rub it in a bit.
Mata will also get subbed in too I think although there's a good chance he may start so we can bring on fast fresh legs later but I think he & Rooney will start on the bench.

All that said, I think it's prudent for us to not get ahead of ourselves. I sense a little over-confidence creeping in, at least here on the caf. I like the way Mourino keeps on saying it's always about "the next game". ell this IS the next game and he will certainly have the team geed up of course, and it certainly doesn't hurt that there's the Zlatan factor in the change room.
We'll be pumped. They'll be pumped! :keano: Is it Sunday yet?

lawliet354

I think Mourinho definitely fancies him. Hence the reference to his record-breaking goal being a big one and subbing him off so early against Hull. He's nailed on to start on Sunday IMHO.
He was subbed off because we needed a comfortable lead against Hull and he did not provide any threat apart from that one chance that he missed

I did not even remember he played until he missed that chance, cup competition is where he should play, not in important league game

That being said, if he played against Liverpool and break the record, it would be amazing

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
100% won't start. He'll come on around the 70th minute and be completely off the pace. Or Mourinho will realise just that and he won't play at all.

dichinero

In all honesty, he shouldn't and won't start and I would not want us to be in any scenario where bringing him (or and Fellaini) would be an option as it is most likely when we might be chasing the game. Unless we are 3 goals up. Sentiments aside, we need this three points and he has another 18 months to break the record.

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
He was subbed off because we needed a comfortable lead against Hull and he did not provide any threat apart from that one chance that he missed.
That being said, if he played against Liverpool and break the record, it would be amazing
I think he's a distraction, or at least the (team's) obsession with the record goal is. It was in evidence against Hull by various team-mates trying to give him the ball when a different pass was a better option.

He'll get his goal soon enough but it won't be against the dippers unless it's the third or fourth at the end of a rollicking.
I'm not holding my breath for that, but oh what fun it would be!

"There's Only One United!"

lawliet354

I think he's a distraction, or at least the (team's) obsession with the record goal is. It was in evidence against Hull by various team-mates trying to give him the ball when a different pass was a better option.

He'll get his goal soon enough but it won't be against the dippers unless it's the third or fourth at the end of a rollicking.
I'm not holding my breath for that, but oh what fun it would be!

"There's Only One United!"
Yeah I remembered when mikhi chose to pass to him instead of mata in the right who's completely free :lol:

Against Pool there's no time for sentimentality though

Walters_19_MuFc

Yeah I remembered when mikhi chose to pass to him instead of mata in the right who's completely free :lol:

Against Pool there's no time for sentimentality though
That's normal, isn't it? It's like when someone is going for their hat trick, and you find players looking for them more.

Like you said, I can't imagine that would happen against Liverpool, unless we were like three up.

Don't think he'll start tomorrow anyway.

lawliet354

That's normal, isn't it? It's like when someone is going for their hat trick, and you find players looking for them more.

Like you said, I can't imagine that would happen against Liverpool, unless we were like three up.

Don't think he'll start tomorrow anyway.
Of course, that's perfectly normal, and it was against Hull anyway and we were already one goal up

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He was never going to start after another absymal performance.

I wouldn't sub him on either considering the impact Mata and Rasford made in recent weeks coming on as subs.

El Zoido

It's unreal how bad he is. He breaks up every attack and his shots are ineffective.

Minimalist

Jesus he got away with that. Obviously he's going for the ball but could have broken Milners ankle there.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Don't worry lads, Martin Tyler reckons he's been great.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Gets minutes based on his reputation from 4 years ago. Every time he gets the ball I expect him to feck up, and 95% of the time he does.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Keeps getting in good positions only to disappoint when he receives the ball. Also manage to hurt Milner in a situation he should have won the ball far quicker.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Brilliant Jose, against a pressing side who give you no time to think bring on capt slug.

m1y2

still won't sleep well until he's out of the club, we managed to bench him but Jose still gives him time which could be given to whoever is capable of controling the ball or run...

Jose showing he's still weak

Roeindo

Hes slowing us down......why put out most creative player on left back.

Minimalist

It's kind of disgraceful he's still getting minutes. I haven't minded him too much recently given his absence but today again he's been really poor since his introduction.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
@wr8_utd you were looking forward to Rooney playing as you saw him doing well in these circumstances. He was a disgrace and should feck off now.

binary bot
I can't think of a reason why he's coming on before Mata these days, and why Mata is shifted wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.