5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Janson

I wish I could admit that had we not had Rooney this season we'd have won the league or challenged for the title, but that simply isn't the case. We've looked equally as poor without Rooney than with him in the side.

I agree that he's not the same player, and have been in agreement that he got dropped, but we're carrying a lot more players than just Rooney in the side.

Rooney's nearing the end of his career, and has won everything there is to win at the club, both collectively and individually.

You should be worrying about the players we've bought in who are not performing well because they're supposed to be the future.

If anyone of those go on to have the career Rooney has had, then please let me know.
Exactly. People were thinking we would miraculously turn into world beaters by dropping him. In reality, our problems lay way deeper than that.

Deleted member 101472

You must hate a lot of our players over the past decade or so then...
Anyone openly caught cheating I've less time for. Cheating on a pregnant wife, it's just as despicable as it gets for me.

The fact that a person like that is my clubs top scorer sickens me. Hell obviously go down as a legend because of it, but he's been a laughing stock for a while as a footballer and as a person he's horrid.

Deleted member 101472

This is something I would never get! Our best player for 3-4 years, among our best for 7-8 years, Helped us win CL, 5 PL titles, top scorer of our club, one of the most number of appearances for us. If you feel that he isn't a club legend, then I don' think anyone is
I just cannot like him or support his achievements. Appreciate that he was a vital player and helped a lot of those trophies, but would rather have had less success without him to be honest.

Janson

That's the thing pal, giggs went down in my estimation for it. Don't care how common it is, it's one thing I've just never tolerated and when it's just footballers for the team I like it makes it easy to not give a toss about them.
I don't understand what his private life has anything to do with football. It's not like you're his friend.

Janson

I just cannot like him or support his achievements. Appreciate that he was a vital player and helped a lot of those trophies, but would rather have had less success without him to be honest.
What? This is just ridiculous. I've seen a lot of strange comments on the caf but this is in a different league.

Last edited:

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I've seen this before. Wayne has a dreadful game but gets an assist or goal and some contingent of our fan base thinks he's done amazing. This happened at the beginning of the season where Rooney's wayward shot would give him an assist and he would completely miss the ball or target but it would get a lucky bounce of his knee or another player. Then we lost to Watford and a lot of people woke up to the decline that Rooney was experiencing ever since LVGs first season.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
That's the thing pal, giggs went down in my estimation for it. Don't care how common it is, it's one thing I've just never tolerated and when it's just footballers for the team I like it makes it easy to not give a toss about them.
Can't disagree with your point as you seem to be consistent about it.

mu4c_20le

Anyone openly caught cheating I've less time for. Cheating on a pregnant wife, it's just as despicable as it gets for me.

The fact that a person like that is my clubs top scorer sickens me. Hell obviously go down as a legend because of it, but he's been a laughing stock for a while as a footballer and as a person he's horrid.
:houllier:

NextSeason

From the banks of the Irwell, to Sicily..
I've seen this before. Wayne has a dreadful game but gets an assist or goal and some contingent of our fan base thinks he's done amazing. This happened at the beginning of the season where Rooney's wayward shot would give him an assist and he would completely miss the ball or target but it would get a lucky bounce of his knee or another player. Then we lost to Watford and a lot of people woke up to the decline that Rooney was experiencing ever since LVGs first season.
Don't think anyone has said he's played amazing?

Some people just rightly point out that he is still productive even though his overall play has clearly declined.

izzydiggler

This run in the team has surely put an end to the complaints that he has been hard done by etc. At this stage, if he won't go to China, even if we gave him away on a free and paid 2/3 of his wages, who in their right mind would contribute £100k a week for him? I can't think of anyone...

Tin foil hat maybe but I think Mourinho has put him on show when he's given up on the league because he doesn't want another Cassilas situation - nobody could complain if he was shown the door...Rooney can claim that he has a lot to offer but he's been made to prove it and failed miserably.

Obiorahking_

Obvious wum attempt is obvious.
@Djemba-Djemba My fault. Martial had a good play at the end where he took his man on and put in a cross that Rooney scored. However, that doesn't change the initial premise that Rooney had a larger impact than Martial did. Martial for large parts of the game held up the ball and tried taking on multiple people when better options where available. I've stopped buying into this "he is too isolated" nonsense because he simply takes it upon himself to constantly dribble the air out of the ball. You can't do that against a very good defensive team like Tottenham.

Also Rajma please refrain from the "wum" labels. Kinda weak on your part.

Rajma

@Djemba-Djemba My fault. Martial had a good play at the end where he took his man on and put in a cross that Rooney scored. However, that doesn't change the initial premise that Rooney had a larger impact than Martial did. Martial for large parts of the game held up the ball and tried taking on multiple people when better options where available. I've stopped buying into this "he is too isolated" nonsense because he simply takes it upon himself to constantly dribble the air out of the ball. You can't do that against a very good defensive team like Tottenham.

You do understand if he passes the ball back our only option end ups being DDG clearing the ball forwards because none of our players are capable of withstanding their press? Rinse and repeat.

phepheshane

[QUOTE="Classical Mechanic, post: 20891998, member: 91612"]18 goals and assists this season. He still has end product but lacks elsewhere. I still think he would do decent for a side like Everton if he were to be there number 9.[/QUOTE]

:eek:
Say what!? Where are these 18 goals coming from? I can believe the assists, but no way has this dude scored 18.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Would that have happened if no one was near Vertonghen?

Lets try and be sensible when answering this one.
So it was another silent domination type of thing. He gets attributed a goal because of his movement distracting a player and them putting it into their own net? Doesn't matter that he didn't touch it, doesn't matter that it was Martial that did all the work and was the one that actually whipped it across into a nigh on impossible area to defend it.

Ghost foot Rooney.

arthurka

Say what? Rooney cost us a goal, missed passes lost the ball all game long.. Martial was as isolated as I have ever seen a player. It got better in the second half when Mou changed the tactics. But Rooney was just dire.

Janson

[QUOTE="Classical Mechanic, post: 20891998, member: 91612"]18 goals and assists this season. He still has end product but lacks elsewhere. I still think he would do decent for a side like Everton if he were to be there number 9.
:eek:
Say what!? Where are these 18 goals coming from? I can believe the assists, but no way has this dude scored 18.
It's goals and assists combined, not 18 goals.

predator

Youth NITK
I like Rooney. Always have. Always will. He's scored some of the best goals I've ever seen by a United player and has given us many great memories. Alot of people are fixated with the notion that he 'held the club to ransom' but no one mentions how much a role his cnut of agent (Paul Stretford) had in it. Rooney obviously could've handled the situation better but he was heavily influenced by Stretford during this time.

It's obvious he is approaching the end of his United career but I wish our fans showed more respect towards him. I'd understand the anger towards him (and Jose fwiw) if he was here next season.

Obiorahking_

You do understand if he passes the ball back our only option end ups being DDG clearing the ball forwards because none of our players are capable of withstanding their press?
The key to breaking down a high press like Tottenham does is:
1) Moving the ball quickly
2) Moving off the ball to provide options

When a player leaves an area of the pitch to press, another area of the pitch becomes free. The caveat is that to find that space, the player must move the ball quickly as the intensity of the press leaves the players no time. Notice how when we stopped dribbling or hesitating to pass and started moving the ball, our attack drastically improved. A key example was in the first half when Martial instantly passed the ball to Rooney who released a ball to Baily where he had a chance to shoot.

None of the players on our pitch were isolated. When Martial got the ball he made the decision to dribble himself into a position countless times where there was nobody open. Thats on him.

Acole9

Outstanding
He was probably the worst player on the pitch until he scored. Smart move putting him up front because others need to do the donkey work for him.

Obiorahking_

Say what? Rooney cost us a goal, missed passes lost the ball all game long.. Martial was as isolated as I have ever seen a player. It got better in the second half when Mou changed the tactics. But Rooney was just dire.
Good point. I forgot about the fact that he was culpable in the first goal, but the goal canceled it out and on top of that he had at least 2-3 good balls the game to set up his teammates. At this point either player could have been the "best" attacking player.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Don't think anyone has said he's played amazing?

Some people just rightly point out that he is still productive even though his overall play has clearly declined.
Of course no-one has said Rooney was amazing; because the cat's already out of the bag. Now what's happened is that his performances are being inflated. Earlier on in the season he was being lauded as our creative saviour thanks to his assists, but a closer look at his goal and assist tally this season and you can see he has been quite lucky in many instances. This is the opposite to Pogba who has been criticized for not scoring or assisting but a closer look shows that he has been unlucky and our forwards are not finishing the chances he creates.

NextSeason

From the banks of the Irwell, to Sicily..
Of course no-one has said Rooney was amazing; because the cat's already out of the bag. Now what's happened is that his performances are being inflated. Earlier on in the season he was being lauded as our creative saviour thanks to his assists, but a closer look at his goal and assist tally this season and you can see he has been quite lucky in many instances. This is the opposite to Pogba who has been criticized for not scoring or assisting but a closer look shows that he has been unlucky and our forwards are not finishing the chances he creates.
You are blowing it out way out of proportion. I can hardly remember anyone lauding him this season at any point but feel free to provide evidence.

It's not luck when you are in the right places at the right time. It's the same stick people used to beat Lampard with but goals are goals at the end of the day and they decide football matches.

Also, for the record, I think Pogba has had a good season and been unlucky/let down by teammates.

Varun

Staff
Ibra's doc would want to take some of his tissue too for research. It's a medicinal miracle how fecking shite he's become.

wr8_utd

:'(
He's actually being blamed for where we finished this season? He's barely even featured, he's anything but the problem.

Rajma

The key to breaking down a high press like Tottenham does is:
1) Moving the ball quickly
2) Moving off the ball to provide options

When a player leaves an area of the pitch to press, another area of the pitch becomes free. The caveat is that to find that space, the player must move the ball quickly as the intensity of the press leaves the players no time. Notice how when we stopped dribbling or hesitating to pass and started moving the ball, our attack drastically improved. A key example was in the first half when Martial instantly passed the ball to Rooney who released a ball to Baily where he had a chance to shoot.

None of the players on our pitch were isolated. When Martial got the ball he made the decision to dribble himself into a position countless times where there was nobody open. Thats on him.
Mate, nice poem and theoretically it's all good what you have said. Nevertheless, I wish you would use your common sense and understand what team we were playing. In reality we had 6 CBs on the pitch along with Carrick (who barely can move these days), Lingard and Rooney who are both terrible in holding on to the ball, and Mata on the other side of the ground to Martial. We where never going to create anything if we tried to play the way you're saying we would end up being dispossessed and humiliated with that team out there.

Deleted member 101472

What? This is just ridiculous. I've seen a lot of strange comments on the caf but this is in a different league.
Yeah I'm gonna retract that. I guess what I mean is I just wish the success could have been without him.

Obiorahking_

In reality we had 6 CBs on the pitch along with Carrick (who barely can move these days), Lingard and Rooney who are both terrible in holding on to the ball, and Mata on the other side of the ground to Martial.
Rooney, Tuanzebe, Baily, Jones, Blind and Carrick all looked good with the ball when they moved it fast. Nobody is asking these players to hold onto the ball. The contrary actually.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
You are blowing it out way out of proportion. I can hardly remember anyone lauding him this season at any point but feel free to provide evidence.

It's not luck when you are in the right places at the right time. It's the same stick people used to beat Lampard with but goals are goals at the end of the day and they decide football matches.

Also, for the record, I think Pogba has had a good season and been unlucky/let down by teammates.
I was lurking the caf back then so i have no idea where it was. But there's no point in making a fuss. Rooney has had a great career at united and most people will want him to move to a club where both the club and Rooney can get a nice pay cheque. These past few games are nothing games so i'm not too bothered about player performances. If Rooney comes on with 10 minutes to go in the Europa final and scores off his arse then ill celebrate like a madman.

Rajma

Rooney, Tuanzebe, Baily, Jones, Blind and Carrick all looked good with the ball when they moved it fast. Nobody is asking these players to hold onto the ball. The contrary actually.
Moved the ball fast sideways to the nearest player or backwards in order to get rid of the ball quickly. I think we watched two different games, fair enough.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
The fact that the games are meaningless for United (but not for Arsenal and Tottenham) is actually an argument for Rooney, not against him. Just saying.
We are talking about Mourinho here.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Somebody mentioned 18 goals/assists?
Just to clarify, he has scored: 5 league goals...which is actually quite impressive, for a has been.
For comparison,
Rashford: 5
Martial: 4
Henrikh: 4
Mata: 6
Ibra: not human and will be studied for medical research.

Status
Not open for further replies.