Westminster Politics

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It seems very convenient timing that on the day it's announced the Russian report will be released that Raab is suddenly out saying Russians interfered in the GE to Labours benefit.
Came here to post exactly the same.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Yup, crooked bastards are trying to get ahead of the story and shape the news cycle. The report must be bad for them.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Yup, crooked bastards are trying to get ahead of the story and shape the news cycle. The report must be bad for them.
The report will come out just before they bugger off for the summer and by the time everybody is back it will be old news
we will either have a second wave of CV19 which will take over completely or we wont in which case people will be pushing for the enquiry
Plus probably the EHRC report will come out Id guess about when MP's come back
and we will only have a few weeks left to negotiate brexit
the report into patel bullying will no doubt come out over the summer as well
its a cheap trick but its effective and I think beyond a few days headlines and perhaps two or three quiestions at PMQs next week it will come to nothing

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
The report will come out just before they bugger off for the summer and by the time everybody is back it will be old news
we will either have a second wave of CV19 which will take over completely or we wont in which case people will be pushing for the enquiry
Plus probably the EHRC report will come out Id guess about when MP's come back
and we will only have a few weeks left to negotiate brexit
the report into patel bullying will no doubt come out over the summer as well
its a cheap trick but its effective and I think beyond a few days headlines and perhaps two or three quiestions at PMQs next week it will come to nothing
True but a lot is going to depend on quite how bad the report is. If its really brutal, then despite their best efforts its still going to be a firestorm. You're right though, the cheap and very obvious tricks they're pulling do tend to be quite effective, it'll be interesting to see how Starmer and more importantly the media deal with things.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
True but a lot is going to depend on quite how bad the report is. If its really brutal, then despite their best efforts its still going to be a firestorm. You're right though, the cheap and very obvious tricks they're pulling do tend to be quite effective, it'll be interesting to see how Starmer and more importantly the media deal with things.
dunno a quick drive to barnards castle to check if somebody is blind should be sufficient to distract

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
It seems very convenient timing that on the day it's announced the Russian report will be released that Raab is suddenly out saying Russians interfered in the GE to Labours benefit.
Did he say that? What benefit? They got smashed in the election :houllier:

Smores

Did he say that? What benefit? They got smashed in the election :houllier:
Well Labour used the materials (rightly) within the campaign so it was to their benefit even if they didn't win. It's not even news though is it? They said at the time it was russia but no one gave a feck because it was just deflection from the content.

The new report could link Vote Leaves actions directly to Putin and explicitly say they all knew Brexit was shit and i don't think brexiteers will care.

NWRed

It's so obvious too, they really don't think much of the people in this country if they think people can't see the desperation.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
It's so obvious too, they really don't think much of the people in this country if they think people can't see the desperation.
Joke isn’t it, oh let’s try and bury Corbyn with Russia links before the report links us.

They are so transparent it’s pathetic.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
hey its dump week - all the stuff they want to bury is going to flow out next week (mostly after PMQs probably so they face even less scrutiny) this is sadly standard operations - get in a hit now this week (Id expect a few more at the start of next week to give boris ammunition for PMQ's) then all bugger off on Thursday afternoon, turn the phone off and dump all the stuff you dont want to get asked about... TBF I'd expect any party in power to do the same it would be politically stupid to make life harder than it needs to be

NWRed

hey its dump week - all the stuff they want to bury is going to flow out next week (mostly after PMQs probably so they face even less scrutiny) this is sadly standard operations - get in a hit now this week (Id expect a few more at the start of next week to give boris ammunition for PMQ's) then all bugger off on Thursday afternoon, turn the phone off and dump all the stuff you dont want to get asked about... TBF I'd expect any party in power to do the same it would be politically stupid to make life harder than it needs to be
All true, except I wouldn't expect any main stream UK political party to have links with Russians and Russian money that they're worried people will find out about.

My guess is the report details how the Russians influenced the EU referendum result and they were hoping to delay it until after the end of the transition period so there'd be no arguments about delaying etc.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Why can't I shake the feeling that this hasty action to get everything back to normal is purely to stop Boris and his lot looking bad? It's got bugger all to do with people and, amazingly, bugger all to do with business. They just don't like how bad they've been through this entire thing.

I mean if it was to help businesses to the detriment of public health then, alright, I might not like it but I can at least understand it. But this just reeks of self interest. Tories being Tories I guess. The Part of Whoever Will Pay Us Most.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Zero mention of it at all on BBC home page or news. Glancing through the major paper websites there's no mention of it anywhere so most of the population will be unaware that this has happened.

Smores

Delyn MP Rob Roberts invited intern to 'fool around' with him
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-politics-53472289

That's serious sexual harassment against someone that has shown a protected characteristic and he'd be gone in any other job. Also what a fecking scumbag

If he's not kicked out of the party sharpish I'd be surprised. What kind of message is it to others in the same situation if he isn't

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
That's serious sexual harassment against someone that has shown a protected characteristic and he'd be gone in any other job. Also what a fecking scumbag

If he's not kicked out of the party sharpish I'd be surprised. What kind of message is it to others in the same situation if he isn't
All seriousness he should be sacked for that.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Yup. As you say though I'd imagine this is rife in Westminster. He's not a very well known MP so can't see much being done sadly, hopefully he'll be out of a job in 2024. I've seen him a bit on twitter and he comes across as a right cock.

Abizzz

Watching Ian-Duncan Smith appeal to the western world to unite against China's behavior is amusing. How does he expect anyone to believe him about China when he spent the past 5 years lying about everyone else in the "free world"?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Imagine someone responds to your sexual harassment with “I’m suffering with my mental health, that’s why I’m ignoring you“ and your response to that is “Oh mental health issues, clearly you would be happier if you succumbed to my sexual harassment“