Westminster Politics

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
It’s all over Twitter so I’d imagine it’s the case. No official confirmation as of yet.
The standard approach of the government then. Leak something to gauge public reaction before announcing it.

Have we actually been surprised by any of his 'announcements' ? :lol:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
COVID press conference later today. I would expect WFH orders to be implemented.
They are clearly going to announce that a return to exactly the same restrictions as last year is to be implemented which they will go through a few examples including giving guidance that means Xams parties are banned but non social distanced cheese and wine meetings can continue

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
They are clearly going to announce that a return to exactly the same restrictions as last year is to be implemented which they will go through a few examples including giving guidance that means Xams parties are banned but non social distanced cheese and wine meetings can continue
All restrictions to come in after December 18th this time

Fingeredmouse

Im not sure that
well... he recklessly endangered peoples life's in a completely unacceptable manor therefore I can do the same quite computes
It'd be just like the Tories to think everyone lives in an unacceptable manor just because they can afford to have one. Most of us just have normal houses.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
The people that voted for Boris and his cronies are reaping what they sowed.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Going to be chaos over Christmas. No way are people going to comply when they did what they fecking liked last year.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Im not sure that:
well... he recklessly endangered peoples life's in a completely unacceptable manor therefore I can do the same quite computes
It gives an already reluctant citizen a ready made excuse.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Boris should resign after he’s introduced the restrictions in the interest of public health.
Indeed.

It winds me up that the biggest losers to this are always the good people. I'll always wear a mask / try to limit public gatherings etc. because I want to do my bit. Won't vote Tory etc. but you end up being the most shafted.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I do find it interesting that people have the mentality of “I’m not listening or going to follow rules” because the leaders haven’t but if you follow suit you’re more likely to get Covid/risk serious illness/infect someone and potentially kill them.

Maticmaker

slim chance we can get voting reform
Very slim!
The truth is the first past the post suits the current political party system in the UK. The two main parties take it in turn to rule, well usually, but only one party sees its self the perpetual party of power, the other accepts that it is too broad a church to really get voted in on its ideals, unless the other lot c**k it up spectacularly!
Hence this system allows one party with only a slim majority to rule, just about; or one party with a massive majority ( as now) to do as it likes, regardless, to rule almost absolutely. The other (sizeable) party out of power, theoretically has a chance to clean house, make its self presentable to the public and go again at the next GE.
There have been coalitions, or working agreements which have sustained one of the main parties, but when these end the smaller or second party usually carries the can with the electorate at the next GE.

However even the minor parties enjoy this system because the MP's in such parties can collect their £70k per year salary and snipe from the sidelines, and never have to worry about getting it wrong.

The modern political system in the UK was formed by politicians, for politicians to operate in and like our basis for law its all kept going on the basis of precedence.

The threat of a mass movement rallying behind a new party, e.g. UKIP and then BREXIT Party have shown that this can exert real pressure on both of the main two parties, without ever actually gaining power. MOMENTUM almost did the same, but only on one of the two main parties, not the other, and not enough to change the main impetus.

Even the breakup of the UK (should it occur) and which many see as a prerequisite for change, would make little difference to the political systems, which are now entrenched as 'way we do things'.

Regrettably perhaps it is only the growing existential threats which might eventually change things politically, here and in the world as a whole

F-Red

Going to be chaos over Christmas. No way are people going to comply when they did what they fecking liked last year.
The profile of the pandemic has changed though, we have very large proportions of the population vaccinated. We don't need restrictions like last year, and certainly anything implemented won't carry the same effect now.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
There isn't anywhere near enough public outrage about this, particularly from those who voted for them. The theme of the comments to any of this on Twitter of facebook seems to be "Oh well, who cares, we all broke the rules a bit last year"

The apathy is so great amongst their own voter base, Boris could piss on their kids and they'd probably justify it somehow. "Oh well, a bit of piss won't hurt them. Thanks Boris"

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
This is a disgusting and abhorrent show by Boris in PMQ's.

He needs to step down, it's like watching a wasp in a glass perishing slowly.

Abizzz

This is a disgusting and abhorrent show by Boris in PMQ's.

He needs to step down, it's like watching a wasp in a glass perishing slowly.
Nah I'd feel empathy for a wasp. Always amusing seeing one politician accusing another politician of "playing politics" :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The profile of the pandemic has changed though, we have very large proportions of the population vaccinated. We don't need restrictions like last year, and certainly anything implemented won't carry the same effect now.
True, but some minimal and local restrictions could still be applicable depending on cases. It gives the unvaccinated/ the people who broke the rules consistently before more of a leg to stand on to their reasonings why they can and did while the vaccinated/people who follow the rules have less of one too. It becomes harder to deter some people from gatherings or get the vaccine when those that are imploring you to do so are liars. I assume you, like me got the vaccine because you wanted to do the best for yourself and those around you and it didn't matter what the government said, but there are some who don't think like that.

Boycott

There isn't anywhere near enough public outrage about this, particularly from those who voted for them. The theme of the comments to any of this on Twitter of facebook seems to be "Oh well, who cares, we all broke the rules a bit last year"

The apathy is so great amongst their own voter base, Boris could piss on their kids and they'd probably justify it somehow. "Oh well, a bit of piss won't hurt them. Thanks Boris"
I would wait for the new polling to come out. A lot of the time whatever is the consensus on social media is the opposite of what the actual wider public thinks. For example the polling sympathised with Dominic Cummings after he broke the rules despite him being mocked endlessly online but that was in part because Cummings presentation involving his wife and child seemed relatable. A Christmas party where a senior Tory joked about them being above their own rules is a sign of arrogance of the highest order.

Dobba

When the only thing the leader of the opposition is demanding is an apology, how bad can the incident be?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
We have no idea what we need. This thing is currently doubling every two days. Unless it proves to be milder and vaccines/prior infection are as effective against severe illness as they currently are I don’t see how the crazy number of cases over the next 6 weeks that leads to doesn’t overwhelm the NHS at a time when they’re already at breaking point. A small proportion of a huge number is a big number.