g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Westminster Politics

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Must say I'm surprised that the UK actually climbed up the world press freedom rankings last year. I thought it would've plummeted, with the government moving to shut down public service broadcasters, but I guess it's based on other stuff and the fact that places like Hong Kong have seen much harsher crackdowns, pushing the UK up the rankings.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-in-world-press-freedom-rankings?srnd=premium

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Think he's letting the strategy slip there. It's obvious to most that Boris is repurposing Ukraine's war into his chance to make Churchillian speeches.

I'd go as far as to say he's enjoying it. Sadly I've no confidence in the electorate seeing through it so they'll vote Tory like good little lambs.
My distaste for Boris is pretty clear. But I have to be fair and say that I do agree with his support for Ukraine.
But honestly, the most powerful leader in Europe.
That is just stupid.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

I mean he is right.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I’m not particularly knowledgable when it comes to politics.. can somebody who is please answer me these questions in simple terms.

1) what is the likelihood of tories losing badly in the local elections?
2) what is the realistic impact on Boris if that does happen?

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
My distaste for Boris is pretty clear. But I have to be fair and say that I do agree with his support for Ukraine.
That is just stupid.
The war is what he hopes saves him - the British press don't tell the truth though - e.g. the UK give more money to Russia for gold than to the whole world for oil - nobody mentions this

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The war is what he hopes saves him - the British press don't tell the truth though - e.g. the UK give more money to Russia for gold than to the whole world for oil - nobody mentions this
Something I was not aware of either. But I am pleased that you have told me about it.

MUW4Eva

That is just stupid.
His support for Ukraine, has it extended to paying back the Russian money he and his party and all his MP's have received??

If not, then he has shown no support for Ukraine, just empty fluff.

Phil Jones Face

I’m not particularly knowledgable when it comes to politics.. can somebody who is please answer me these questions in simple terms.

Boris seems able to bide his time and ride out every disaster so it's difficult to quantify, but I think a bad set of results is likely to put more internal pressure on him than partygate has because it will hit home with his MPs. They don't seem to care about his antics so long as it doesn't harm their own prospects. If they get punished locally and their grassroots falter, they will question their own prospects going forward.

Having said that, a friend pointed out to me that it appears the majority of Tory councils seats aren't being contested, so maybe it won't be as painful as we're expecting?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It is a pity I do not trust this country to do justice tomorrow.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay

Council elections are a bit of a mixed bag given they are staggered.

Labour did well four years ago in 2018 when these seats were last contested, so the Tories have a low bar to clear to say they have done 'well'.

In addition many Labour seats in Red Wall areas could go Tory given the swings in 2019 which have not reversed.

I suspect that the results will not be bad for the Tories - they are more likely to lose seats in the South to the Lib Dems than in the Midlands and North to Labour, and Boris will stay. They won't be so catastrophic that MPs feel empowered to remove him.

Sweet Square

This doesn't make any sense considering the most far right party is the tories and it's most right mp is a woman of colour - Priti Patel. Would hope not hate rather people vote for the tories than not vote at all ? Very odd video.

Anyways class film

Last edited:

DavidDeSchmikes

That's nowhere near good enough in England for Labour. The Tories may be hated, but Labour are not supported. No way you can win a GE being the least worst option.
Does make you wonder what would happen if the Tories dump Johnson and bring a 'competent' person in

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
That's nowhere near good enough in England for Labour. The Tories may be hated, but Labour are not supported. No way you can win a GE being the least worst option.
That's how the great majority of General Elections have been won. I can think of only Wilson and Thatcher in my lifetime that got support to try and actually transform Britain.

As for now, it's too early to say, the assault on living standards has barely begun, rising taxes, rising interest rates, rising prices, they have hardly been felt yet. Let's see how people feel in 12 months time.

Last edited:

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
It is a poll tax, pure and simple.

I said this before, but if Government really wanted a secure form of identification to be used for elections, I would support it if it was easy to get and if it was paid for by the Government. This is disenfranchising the poor.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

1) Not likely
2) even if they do Boris will be the PM and the tories will win the next general election - the british public love him

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He sounds a bit upset about it.

The MET police decision was absolute bullshit to be fair.

Their reasoning was that they didn’t want to do anything which could impact the elections. They wanted to “remain apolitical”. But that is bollocks. Remaining apolitical would be business as usual, continuing with investigations and handing out fines as appropriate.

Taking a decision to not continue with business as usual is also doing something that could impact the elections. It’s covering up bad behaviour and blocking the public from making an informed decision with all the facts.

They picked their side and made a political decision.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
God isn't that depressing
Its staggering how someone so obviously corrupt and shameless is allowed to continue.

If ever there was a toxic bunch of cnuts in charge that refuse to see what they are its them.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The MET police decision was absolute bullshit to be fair.

Their reasoning was that they didn’t want to do anything which could impact the elections. They wanted to “remain apolitical”. But that is bollocks. Remaining apolitical would be business as usual, continuing with investigations and handing out fines as appropriate.

Taking a decision to not continue with business as usual is also doing something that could impact the elections. It’s covering up bad behaviour and blocking the public from making an informed decision with all the facts.

They picked their side and made a political decision.
Yep and the Met doing that hot on the heels of their craven politicking around the Sue Gray report made them clear government stooges. Peston has got it totally wrong. The remit of the BoE is to be independent of government - seems like the only institution the Tories haven't tried to seize control of yet.