Westminster Politics

Maticmaker

Not sure about everyone else but I've never felt so disinterested in politics. This is from a position of having closely tracked every story for 20 years.

I've no interest in what Labour are currently saying and with the Tories it's the same shit repeated with no consequence.
Me too, but that's probably because I am getting old!

The actual problem in present day politics is that everything's getting 'skewed' by the left over's from Covid and the ongoing war in Ukraine, which cover a multitude of sins especially in economic terms.

(The government must be praying for England to do well in Qatar, so it will give them another 'bounce'.)

'Remainers' are doing their best to pin everything on Brexit, but although some of the chickens have come home to roost, the fact is that Starmer is embracing the realism that that particular ship has sailed now, and we will have to live with the results, and this intended approach has taken the 'wind out of the sails' of a lot of Labour supporters, especially on the left.

In the run up to the next GE Labour hopefully is going to come up with some real big ideas, the 'game changers' that will not only lift the spirits but focus the minds of everybody and improve the lives of those currently struggling. Some of these might be 'easy wins' that encourage confidence, but the really important ideas that affect the lives of everyone for decades to come, will take time and will need to focus on climate change re-management and reverse engineering, securing energy and water supplies in the hands of the Government and deal with growing migration issues.

To achieve all this a new Labour government will have to focus on growth...walking the line and carefully to boot!
You will perk up then :)

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
What actually can the Conservatives do to turn this around? At this point, all they can seem to do at best is limit the damage. I know this was an expected win for Labour but the size of the majority tells its own story

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think they are fecked no matter what they do. The country is jaded after 12 fecking years.
They should call a GE and end the misery for everyone.

Fluctuation0161

So many illogical nonsensical reasons that people voted Conservative in the past.

One woman because she feels she is "better off than most" but is only on a pension. One man because whites are apparently "second class citizens in London".

If only they understood, the Tories only care about the super rich regardless of race, colour or creed. They are not fighting for you unless you are super rich and can line their pockets, even if you believe the strange notions above.

Dan_F

That is painful to listen to. Right up to the person who voted Tory last time admitting that she probably won’t vote next time. If we could have more people like that please.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The guy that complained about the Government selling off BT which is a decent argument to make. Yet I'm pretty sure it was the Tories that did it! They've been flogging off the country for decades! Why would you continue to vote for Tory if you feel that way.

Benefits seems to be mentioned an awful lot during that. No mention of Brexit...

mitChley

It's impossible to not get angry with these ill educated up their own arse dim wits. They read the Daily Mail and that's it, believing the biggest problems in our country are to do with benefits without even attempting to look at the bigger picture. Feels like being held hostage in this country sometimes, having to live with the consequences of muppets like these actions.

Dan_F

It's impossible to not get angry with these ill educated up their own arse dim wits. They read the Daily Mail and that's it, believing the biggest problems in our country are to do with benefits without even attempting to look at the bigger picture. Feels like being held hostage in this country sometimes, having to live with the consequences of muppets like these actions.
I do wonder quite often if other countries in Europe have large sections of their population as dumb as ours. I would assume so given the rise of right wing leaders.

mitChley

I do wonder quite often if other countries in Europe have large sections of their population as dumb as ours. I would assume so given the rise of right wing leaders.
They must have, maybe their press just isn't as hate filled as ours.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Think it's by next Monday you have to notify the party whether your standing in the next general election or not. They'd rather quit then lose.

Sweet Square

Just as the Thatcherites and the Cameronites were the dynasty of finance capital, so the Borisites are the dynasty of the retiree. The chosen of the retiree is not the Boris who submitted to parliament but the Boris who dismissed parliament.

The property owning retiree form an enormous mass whose members live in similar conditions but without entering into manifold relations with each other. Their mode of living isolates them from one another instead of bringing them into mutual intercourse. The isolation is furthered by England poor means of communication and the poverty of the retirees. Their field of living, semi-detached home permits, no application of science, and therefore no multifariousness of development, no diversity of talent, no wealth of social relationships. Each individual retiree is almost self-sufficient, directly paying most of its consumer needs, and thus acquires its means of life more through an exchange with online tesco than in intercourse with society. A semi-detached, the retiree and his/her property; beside it another semi-detached, another retiree and another semi detached. A few score of these constitute a village, and a few score villages constitute canvey island.

Insofar as millions of retirees live under conditions of existence that separate their mode of life, their interests, and their culture from those of the other classes, and put them in hostile opposition to the latter, they form a class. Insofar as there is merely a local interconnection among these property owning retirees, and the identity of their interests forms no community, no national bond, and no political organization among them, they do not constitute a class. They are therefore incapable of asserting their class interest in their own name, whether through a parliament or a convention. They cannot represent themselves, they must be represented. Their representative must at the same time appear as their master, as an authority over them, an unlimited governmental power which protects them from the other classes and sends them rain and sunshine from above. The political influence of the property owing retiree, therefore, finds its final expression in the executive power which subordinates society to itself.

Historical tradition gave rise to the english retiree belief in the miracle of a referendum that would bring all glory back to them. And there turned up an individual who claims to be the man of the referendum because he bears the name Boris.

But let us not misunderstand. The Boris dynasty represents not the revolutionary, but the conservative retiree; not the retiree who strikes out beyond the condition of his/her social existence, semi-detached home, but rather one who wants to consolidate his/her home; not the home owners who in alliance with the cities want to overthrow the old order through their own energies, but on the contrary those who, in solid seclusion within this old order, want to see themselves and their house prices saved and favored by the ghost of the Empire. It represents not the enlightenment but the superstition of the retiree; not his/her judgment but his/her prejudice; not his/her future but his/her past.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Javid not standing in the next election.

The highest profile one so far
Christ the next election is going to be an absolute bloodbath for them.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
A lot can happen in 2 years, honestly wouldn't shock me if they survived again.

hodgey123

My eyes rolled so hard with the benefits comments at the start. So brainwashed and deluded but I actually feel sorry for them that they have been fed such rubbish so much that they now believe it.

saivet

It does tell you how narratives painted in the media has such a big impact on everyday people. It's amazing how people have such strong opinions on things they've 'heard'.

That said, would be interesting to see similar in a strong labour area. Sure they would be making different points but can imagine a lot of shite would be said too.

Superden

house prices rebounding and tax cuts. thats all it will take for the tories to rebound in the polls. if austerity is needed before then, so be it.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Why she are they not going straight to tbf police rather than the party?
Lack of evidence? It's taken them a while to come to terms with it and to stop blaming themselves?

Sometimes the "open secret" really is just that - everyone has heard the rumours, if only as a cautionary, "don't stand too close to him," sort of way. It's only when someone can face saying that it was a serious assault that those around them realise the "he's a bit handsie" sort of joke isn't the full story.

Patterns of behaviour once exposed make people see the things they always knew - including things that made the victims feel stupid or naive, or in some way at fault themselves.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
house prices rebounding and tax cuts. thats all it will take for the tories to rebound in the polls. if austerity is needed before then, so be it.
They haven't got time for a pivot from austerity into tax cuts and a feelgood factor before the next election. The UK is already in recession and it will deepen next year.

Superden

They haven't got time for a pivot from austerity into tax cuts and a feelgood factor before the next election. The UK is already in recession and it will deepen next year.
sensibly, there should be no chance of this happeing. . but this is a party that just changed (new) leaders and their entire financial approach in just over a fortnight. they dont give a rats behind about consequences, all that matters is holding onto power. if they need to tank the economy (as long as the shock hits after the next election) they will do it. remember, there are no magic money trees, other than the ones the bank of england can pull out of tory arses when needs arise.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
House prices are fecked for at least five years. At least.

Edit : By this I mean… they may get slightly sensible and landlords may go bankrupt.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
sensibly, there should be no chance of this happeing. . but this is a party that just changed (new) leaders and their entire financial approach in just over a fortnight. they dont give a rats behind about consequences, all that matters is holding onto power. if they need to tank the economy (as long as the shock hits after the next election) they will do it. remember, there are no magic money trees, other than the ones the bank of england can pull out of tory arses when needs arise.
No chance- you saw how quickly the economy crashed when they fecked around under May. The market will be even less forgiving if they try anything stupid.
They've kicked most of the austerity into 2025 after the next election and they will just pray they get lucky and things pick up sooner than later.
In the meantime Raynor had a boob job and something something Diane Abbott and Corbyn.