Westminster Politics

Maticmaker

It never is for you, is it?
I don't waste my time, like a lot of so-called Labour supporters do, in getting hot under the collar about Tories. I have never expected anything from the Tories and hence I've never been disappointed. I was a member of the Labour party for over twenty years and was very disappointed with them... and still am. I just hope to see a Labour Government that makes fundamental changes to the lives of the ordinary people, before I pass on.

Sweet Square

I just hope to see a Labour Government that makes fundamental changes to the lives of the ordinary people, before I pass on.
Don’t want to have a go and I could be wrong but didn’t you vote for Boris in the last election, when Labour were offering policies that would make fundamental changes to the lives of ordinary people ?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I agree, they did do something, but it was equivalent to 'polishing the hood' and 'inflating the tyres', it did nothing about the things that make/should make the Education system an equal playing field. Even ignoring the existence of public schools (with charitable status) only being really available to the rich, or occasionally some extremely talented youngster from a 'sink' estate. The state system was given a 'lick of paint' and a bit of 'academy' type upgrades in achievement levels, by Labour, but no fundamental policies or new laws to demand and ensure every state school has the very best management, staffing and resources wherever it exists in the country.

It's not about judging the Tory Party, their 'leading lights' have no real feeling or time for state education, it's not where most Tory kids go, and they will pay lip service only. Labour should under Blair, and I admit he did make some minor changes (in the overall context), have bridged the chasm between state and private education once and for all in a way that would have changed the education system and the life of millions of ordinary folks for decades to come; and incidentally laid the foundations for economic growth.

This next Labour government needs to rid itself of those who pay lip service to improved State Education systems and buckle down to it, re-organise funding to ensure State Education gets the best. This does not mean closing private schools, it means shifting the balance positively and permanently and this means every Labour MP sending their children to State Schools, to show they mean it.
Your post is a good example of doubling down.

it’s full of labour didn’t do this or that, yet the Tories have been in power for over a decade and what have they done?

Maticmaker

Don’t want to have a go and I could be wrong but didn’t you vote for Boris in the last election, when Labour were offering policies that would make fundamental changes to the lives of ordinary people ?
No, I gave that impression, but the truth is I just didn't vote. (mea culpa, mea culpa..mea maxima culpa) ...:(

My constituency is rock solid Labour so it wasn't really a 'turn-coating' action. I did 'big up' Boris a bit because he got through with many who have no real interest in politics and he won, something Labour can't bring itself to do, it only wants to talk to people who 'give a sh**'... when it should be addressing everyone.

I was in my own way trying to adopt the Theory X Management style, with Labour, which basically means... when people won't do what you want them to do, then kick them up the backside, everyday! This was I believe the thinking behind many 'red wall' former Labour voter's intentions.

At the last GE some of Labours proposed policies would have pleased me, but they had two big drawbacks, one they tried to introduce too many, promising everything at once, scaring people off and two JC as leader. Whatever the rights and wrongs of it, the reality is Labour even with the manifesto written on tablets of stone, would never have got in with Jeremy ... with someone else they may have dinted Boris' massive +80 majority!

Last edited:

Sweet Square

No, I gave that impression, but the truth is I just didn't vote. (mea culpa, mea culpa..mea maxima culpa) ...:(

My constituency is rock solid Labour so it wasn't really a 'turn-coating' action. I did 'big up' Boris a bit because he got through with many who have no real interest in politics and he won, something Labour can't bring itself to do, it only wants to talk to people who 'give a sh**'... when it should be addressing everyone.

I was in my own way trying to adopt the Theory X Management style, with Labour, which basically means... when people won't do what you want them to do, then kick them up the backside, everyday! This was I believe the thinking behind many 'red wall' former Labour voter's intentions.

At the last GE some of Labours proposed policies would have pleased me, but they had two big drawbacks, one they tried to introduce too many, promising everything at once, scaring people off and two JC as leader. Whatever the rights and wrongs of it, the reality is Labour even with the manifesto written on tablets of stone, would never have got in with Jeremy ... with someone else they may have dinted Boris' massive +80 majority!
Ah cheers, that fair enough then.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Agree completely with this statement. Unfortunately this is the problem with many, many working class places in the UK. People angry at their lot in life want to know that somone else is worse off than them and being punished for it so they feel better about their bad life choices.
Honestly, Fcuk ALL of them. They deserve the product of their bigotry. They will die sooner, and poorer. So many of those responses were just disgusting.

Framing it as ‘These Tories will now vote elsewhere’ shouldn’t be good. feck them all. I don’t want them on ‘my’ side. I’d rather they couldn’t vote. They are the problem.

crossy1686

career ending
Honestly, Fcuk ALL of them. They deserve the product of their bigotry. They will die sooner, and poorer. So many of those responses were just disgusting.

Framing it as ‘These Tories will now vote elsewhere’ shouldn’t be good. feck them all. I don’t want them on ‘my’ side. I’d rather they couldn’t vote. They are the problem.
As much as I agree with everything you've said, unfortunately the only way out of this mess is to educate these simpletons and get them to listen to someone else who isn't their sparky mate "Dave" about immigration policies and vaccines.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I think Labour's approach to education is a good microcosm of what they were generally very good at and what they were generally very bad at.

Investing in education (especially in poorer areas) was a great thing to do, it positively impacted a lot of peoples' lives (including mine) and things have gotten immeasurably worse for pupils and teachers since the Tories got their mits on it after 2010. Unfortunately, the limit of New Labour's concept of a good educational outcome for people in poor areas was "some of them will now be able to somewhat compete with richer kids for good jobs in London or Manchester".

They didn't see education as an opportunity to address regional or economic inequality more broadly, just as a way to give the "best and brightest" from poor areas (in practice, generally those who were already better off than average and had stable home lives) a way to escape the drudgery that awaited their less fortunate or less academically gifted peers. The missed opportunity was that they never made any real efforts to address the drudgery, they saw that as a natural and inevitable (if unfortunate) consequence of not being clever.

Ultimately, unless you invest in job creation in poor areas, increased investment in schooling will have next to no impact on the lives of most people living in those areas. The major beneficaries won't even be the kids who get their A Levels and degrees (the majority of whom will struggle to find a job which uses them anyway), it will be rich areas and the employers and landlords based there who benefit enormously from the constant influx of bright young people competing for the best jobs and the worst accomodation.
Are you saying that New Labour did not invest in job creation ?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I agree, they did do something, but it was equivalent to 'polishing the hood' and 'inflating the tyres', it did nothing about the things that make/should make the Education system an equal playing field. Even ignoring the existence of public schools (with charitable status) only being really available to the rich, or occasionally some extremely talented youngster from a 'sink' estate. The state system was given a 'lick of paint' and a bit of 'academy' type upgrades in achievement levels, by Labour, but no fundamental policies or new laws to demand and ensure every state school has the very best management, staffing and resources wherever it exists in the country.

It's not about judging the Tory Party, their 'leading lights' have no real feeling or time for state education, it's not where most Tory kids go, and they will pay lip service only. Labour should under Blair, and I admit he did make some minor changes (in the overall context), have bridged the chasm between state and private education once and for all in a way that would have changed the education system and the life of millions of ordinary folks for decades to come; and incidentally laid the foundations for economic growth.

This next Labour government needs to rid itself of those who pay lip service to improved State Education systems and buckle down to it, re-organise funding to ensure State Education gets the best. This does not mean closing private schools, it means shifting the balance positively and permanently and this means every Labour MP sending their children to State Schools, to show they mean it.
Oh I would say that Labour did quite a bit more than you have described.
In fact I would argue that they did more for education as well as the NHS than any contemporary government has achieved.
Education and Health were definite priorities.

But anyway. That is the past and it is vital that Starmers Labour set similar priorities.
And for me, they also need to focus on increasing UK manufacturing.

jeff_goldblum

Are you saying that New Labour did not invest in job creation ?
No, I'm saying that didn't focus their efforts in the areas which needed it and made regional inequality worse rather than better. New Labour's economic policy focussed on creating jobs in relatively rich areas like London and the bigger regional cities and ignoring the rest of the country on the grounds that by investing in education in those poorer areas they'd be giving people a "fair" chance of getting out. That approach led to all but a couple of the people I was in Sixth Form with leaving for good after school, whilst the folks who didn't make it to Sixth Form, or who had family responsibilities and couldn't leave, were left behind with few prospects.

Statistics show the trend pretty clearly between 1997 and 2006. The beneficiaries of New Labour's economic policies were London, Manchester, Bristol, Cardiff, Leeds, Newcastle and the North London commuter belt. Outside of those cities, almost everywhere got poorer, particularly already deprived areas like County Durham/Teeside, East Yorkshire, Staffordshire, Lincolnshire, and the Welsh valleys.

edit: I would suspect that if you made a map showing all areas which got poorer between 1997 and 2006, you'd have an almost exact map of the areas which everyone was shocked voted for Brexit in 2016.

Last edited:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
No, I'm saying that didn't focus their efforts in the areas which needed it and made regional inequality worse rather than better. New Labour's economic policy focussed on creating jobs in relatively rich areas like London and the bigger regional cities and ignoring the rest of the country on the grounds that by investing in education in those poorer areas they'd be giving people a "fair" chance of getting out. That approach led to all but a couple of the people I was in Sixth Form with leaving for good after school, whilst the folks who didn't make it to Sixth Form, or who had family responsibilities and couldn't leave, were left behind with few prospects.

Statistics show the trend pretty clearly between 1997 and 2006. The beneficiaries of New Labour's economic policies were London, Manchester, Bristol, Cardiff, Leeds, Newcastle and the North London commuter belt. Outside of those cities, almost everywhere got poorer, particularly already deprived areas like County Durham/Teeside, East Yorkshire, Staffordshire, Lincolnshire, and the Welsh valleys.

edit: I would suspect that if you made a map showing all areas which got poorer between 1997 and 2006, you'd have an almost exact map of the areas which everyone was shocked voted for Brexit in 2016.
Understood and thank you for this. I guess living in Bristol, I hadn't noticed the inequality you have mentioned.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance

Labour invested heavily in education. Every school in my area got a massive overhaul, new buildings, facilities, equipment. Schools that had seen nothing whilst I was there (80s and early 90s).

Your argument is that Labour didn't do enough vs 12 years of Tory rule that has defended and fecked over the state school system? Really?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Labour invested heavily in education. Every school in my area got a massive overhaul, new buildings, facilities, equipment. Schools that had seen nothing whilst I was there (80s and early 90s).

Your argument is that Labour didn't do enough vs 12 years of Tory rule that has defended and fecked over the state school system? Really?
That is my take as well. The school that my children went to was given a massive upgrade to all departments and was highly impressive.
But since then, very little has been done to it.

On a separate note, the Labour government of the time set in place standards for the NHS such as waiting times, which have never since been equalled.

mitChley

I hope Mone crashes and burns, yes she's literally taken money out of my pocket and taken it offshore, but also she was a fecking self-righteous knob on LinkedIn, and cause a lot of blokes wanted to shag her she was always popping up on my feed.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I hope Mone crashes and burns, yes she's literally taken money out of my pocket and taken it offshore, but also she was a fecking self-righteous knob on LinkedIn, and cause a lot of blokes wanted to shag her she was always popping up on my feed.
late forties blonde women with decent hair are kryptonite to a certain type of middle-aged bloke.

Maticmaker

No, not really? What Labour failed to do, when they had the opportunity, was change the system that allowed for 12 years of follow on Tory rule to allow leakage/fecklessness to again invade an education system that should be the way out for the majority of our kids. They needed to seriously update the baseline of the Education Act, that ensured appropriate investment at defined levels, they needed to have switched the levels of funding post 16, so that most of the money invested goes to where most of the students are, which is in Further Education, not Higher education. For many years the percentage of post 16 students studying at FE level, was around 67% of the total, but FE only received around 33% of post 16 funding from central government.

From the early 70's attempts were made to provide a 14 to 19 tertiary system, which would link vocational and academic objectives and be available to all. However Labour (when it had chance) shied away from enforcing this, because it cut across to many cherished education boundaries pre and post 16. Instead it tried to load HE with students who were enticed on to low-level achieving degrees, some even referred to as 'mickey mouse' degrees. This led to students having to repay for years hence, student loans/fees for the privileged of studying on courses of no real intrinsic value nor of value/ currency to their future careers.

Bricks and mortar, pens and pencils, a few IT extras, yes Labour did all that, but they didn't change what the Education for all, free at the point of delivery, should be about that is providing well educated people with a thirst for learning how to learn; who gain their independence in future life through their ability to continue to know and want to learn all through their lives.

That is my argument.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I had the misfortune of hearing her give a speech at a young entrepreneurs event over a decade ago. She literally skipped on to the stage and gave a "dumb" performance filled with flirty lines and giggles to a bunch of teens and early-20s students. It was fecking bizarre. She mentioned her boobs more than she referenced how she grew her business, which considering how successful she's been you'd think she'd prefer to showcase that especially in a room that had a lot of young women in it. But, no, look at me tits hehehehe.

This was the same event that Alastair Campbell managed to turn a hateful crowd into putty in his hands after about thirty seconds of talking.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

And it's all coming to a tipping point. We've got teachers on wide scale strikes up here, which if I'm honest I don't agree with because from experience their unions are back stabbing, melodramatic cnuts but I also don't blame them for thinking "enough".

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs

Jericholyte2

Can always rely on stilts to forget something as basic as the fact that public sector workers taxes too!

DavidDeSchmikes

How are people in similar situations going to survive the next 2-3 months. Honestly atm I don't see any improvement after winter. Food prices are highs as well as everything else. And that cnut chancellor is lecturing the public to make sacrifices.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

How are people in similar situations going to survive the next 2-3 months. Honestly atm I don't see any improvement after winter. Food prices are highs as well as everything else. And that cnut chancellor is lecturing the public to make sacrifices.
Difficult decisions. Putin's War. The last Labour government. Immigrants.

Superden

The country / politicians had a choice, the energy companies vast profits could've been used to properly control fuel prices. But they chose not to. Now millions will suffer. And the boat people will be blamed. Feck all tories and those who vote for them.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

Stuff like this is so depressing. Saw something similar of a guy (on LinkedIn) who said he's gone through his savings and used all his credit cards but he'll be homeless from the end of the month as he can't afford the bills and rent. Disabled guy who was recently let go from his job and will start sleeping in his car.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
And it's all coming to a tipping point. We've got teachers on wide scale strikes up here, which if I'm honest I don't agree with because from experience their unions are back stabbing, melodramatic cnuts but I also don't blame them for thinking "enough".
I know what you mean about the unions, but what other choice is there?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Yeah, it's fecked. We have savings so are lucky (despite that being for a house) so if it gets bad we have something to rely on but without that we would be struggling. Went into a charity shop yesterday to pick up some gifts/clothes for christmas presents and even they've shot right up. Used to barely see anything over a fiver but the majority of items were ~£8+ now.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I know what you mean about the unions, but what other choice is there?
Like I said my problem isn't the lack of options left for the unions and their decision to strike, since it's all that's left, it's their previous shenanigans that have left a sour taste in my mouth alongside folk I know in professional service unions. Can't do anything about that personally though and I'm wearing a Santa hat this morning so it's time to let go of the hate.