Westminster Politics

Maticmaker

It'll be interesting to see if this "don't blame me for the things I've done" strategy continues to work for this absolute tosser.
It will on this one, the problems go back decades, under all Governments school buildings were always at the end of the queue.

Still at this rate not sure if any Tory candidates will bother standing at the next GE. Starmer needs to keep saying what he's saying about "we will decide the priorities when we see the figures" and nothing else, don't get drag-in, the Tories are leaking beneath the water line, so stay well clear let them go down don't get conned into throwing them a life line.

TheGame

It will on this one, the problems go back decades, under all Governments school buildings were always at the end of the queue.

Still at this rate not sure if any Tory candidates will bother standing at the next GE. Starmer needs to keep saying what he's saying about "we will decide the priorities when we see the figures" and nothing else, don't get drag-in, the Tories are leaking beneath the water line, so stay well clear let them go down don't get conned into throwing them a life line.
Labour had a program set to improve school buildings but as soon as the Tories came to power, they scrapped it. Sunak has promised to invest in schools however the actual figure is a handful. He can't keep running away from this.

TheGame

Fecking Tories shouting about Birmingham issuing a s114 notice but totally ignoring the Conservative run Councils who have done the same. The situation will also get worse. Having worked in Local Government for 19 years, they have been reducing Council funding year upon year so its no surprise Council's end up in this situation. Fecking detest the Tories.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
It would be pointless to call such a vote, even the Tories won't vote for that, it's like Turkey's voting for Xmas. Their plan is to call the GE at the last possible moment so late 2024 and hope some of the problems are forgotten about. No doubt there will always be morons who vote for them.
Agreed. But forcing the Tory MP’s in seats under threat, to nail their colours to the mast… surely makes the campaigning in those seats infinitely easier come the GE.

You could also preface the motion with “Let’s see how many Tories want what’s best for the country instead of what’s best for their boss”

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Fecking Tories shouting about Birmingham issuing a s114 notice but totally ignoring the Conservative run Councils who have done the same. The situation will also get worse. Having worked in Local Government for 19 years, they have been reducing Council funding year upon year so its no surprise Council's end up in this situation. Fecking detest the Tories.
Basically this, with the added observation that the anaemic rises of recent years haven't managed to keep pace with the post-covid surge in demand either.

Bled dry slowly.

TheGame

Agreed. But forcing the Tory MP’s in seats under threat, to nail their colours to the mast… surely makes the campaigning in those seats infinitely easier come the GE.

You could also preface the motion with “Let’s see how many Tories want what’s best for the country instead of what’s best for their boss”
You could probably count those Tories on one hand.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Look at this cnut, going on about core spending power. I truly despise them.

Community notes added are great.

40% cuts over a decade. Then a 9% increase after a 20% rise in demand and huge inflationary pressures. Finally decided to patch the roof after the rafters rotted. "Why is the house unsafe?" asks idiot.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

You can be sure that many other councils are in a very similar situation. And as soon as the first Tory run council goes bust, the narrative will immediately change.
And the main issue for Birmingham has nothing to do with overspending. It is to do with the massive increase in Social Care costs and the equal pay claim settlement.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Privatization is full steam ahead.
It will be as disastrous as privatisation of Water. We pay them to take the waste water away and then they just dump it into the rivers and seas. Brilliant advert for privatisation.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It will be as disastrous as privatisation of Water. We pay them to take the waste water away and then they just dump it into the rivers and seas. Brilliant advert for privatisation.
If it's any consolation, it might be fantastic for the decade or two they're trying to score political points. It'll be an absolute disaster after that, like water, energy, trains, etc.

TheGame

You can be sure that many other councils are in a very similar situation. And as soon as the first Tory run council goes bust, the narrative will immediately change.
And the main issue for Birmingham has nothing to do with overspending. It is to do with the massive increase in Social Care costs and the equal pay claim settlement.
Tory run Councils have already gone bust, Thurrock and Woking etc but the Tories and their fans continue to gaslight.

Eplel

Some extra, very important context: Birmingham CC is in danger of bankruptcy because of difficulty paying off 14m/month in compensation for an equal pay court case ruling from 2011. Almost all claims were for the period 2004-2010 when Birmingham CC was under tory rule, under Mike Whitby.

Spark

I just don’t understand who the feck is reading, yet alone buying it. Will be a classic case of reviewed by all, read by no one.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I guess heads of those states and head of EU? So someone like Orban or Kaczyński couldn't feck it up, maybe?
Is very weird to separate and include at the same time on a multi country agreement involving the EU

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Hasn't she got another book coming out already this year?

I think they'll all be connected. She's creating her very own PMU: Pork Markets Universe.
She has. It is a Fairy Tale.
Once upon a time, there was a wicked lady called Liz Truss who came to power in a tiny offshore island.... the end.