Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
The thing I really don’t get is why we had absolutely no youth player even in consideration as a back up for Martial, meaning we had to bring in a sub-standard import.

I get how traditional strikers have fallen out of fashion, but has the academy not been able to produce a single one with even a chance of making the first team bench? The academy has produced more nippy little wingers than we know what to do with - Elanga, Garnacho, Pellistri, Amad - but there seems to be nobody coming through in any other position (apart from Mainoo in midfield, and the jury is still out on him).
Amad and pellestri were bought. But ye the next big youth striker who should have got a mention was that Charlie McNeil but he’s on loan now. I think wingers are easier to produce to be fair. We rarely bring through defenders aswell. To be fair though I don’t really blame ETH as he went into the season not knowing that Ronaldo would throw a strop, so he relied on him and martial rotating and he prioritised defence and midfield which obviously needed strengthening. What he should or could have done though was get rid of Ronaldo has he knows he ain’t gonna fit into his pressing system and then signed a striker that does.

Eric_the_Red99

Amad and pellestri were bought. But ye the next big youth striker who should have got a mention was that Charlie McNeil but he’s on loan now. I think wingers are easier to produce to be fair. We rarely bring through defenders aswell. To be fair though I don’t really blame ETH as he went into the season not knowing that Ronaldo would throw a strop, so he relied on him and martial rotating and he prioritised defence and midfield which obviously needed strengthening. What he should or could have done though was get rid of Ronaldo has he knows he ain’t gonna fit into his pressing system and then signed a striker that does.
Well so was Garnacho if we’re getting technical - Elanga is the only genuine product of our academy of the players I named. My point is that our youth system is full of a certain type of player, with gaping holes elsewhere on the pitch.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Well so was Garnacho if we’re getting technical - Elanga is the only genuine product of our academy of the players I named. My point is that our youth system is full of a certain type of player, with gaping holes elsewhere on the pitch.
Ye I agree. Quite annoying really because we always end up with like 4 LW :lol:

NLunited

It almost seems as if we are prioritizing scouting one type of player: fast wingers, instead of scouting in a more balanced way.

On the other hand: we’ve had talented defenders and backs not get a sniff because of players like Lindelof, Maguire, Rojo, Bailly being bought.

Scottynaldinho

He's like a beater car. We had no expectations and he should be off to the junkyard at the end of the season.

OrcaFat

He gets loads of criticism because he’s no good at the things most of us want from our no9. Leaving aside the lack of options, ETH is obviously satisfied with the work he’s doing.

The fact that his work doesn’t include scoring goals, winning headers, holding the ball, assisting or running through the line (in fact, running at all, with any kind of speed) is disappointing but he presses intelligently so, hey. And he’s just brilliant in a weird way that makes you shake your head and wonder if the world’s gone mad.

NLunited

He gets loads of criticism because he’s no good at the things most of us want from our no9. Leaving aside the lack of options, ETH is obviously satisfied with the work he’s doing.

The fact that his work doesn’t include scoring goals, winning headers, holding the ball, assisting or running through the line (in fact, running at all, with any kind of speed) is disappointing but he presses intelligently so, hey. And he’s just brilliant in a weird way that makes you shake your head and wonder if the world’s gone mad.
He‘s making a difference because we are scoring more goals with him in the team, from pressing, bringing others into play and occupying defenders with good movement.

On top of that, a bunch of defensive work.

Hey I‘m not saying we should sign him but it is clear what he is bringing to the team.

OrcaFat

He‘s making a difference because we are scoring more goals with him in the team, from pressing, bringing others into play and occupying defenders with good movement.

Hey I‘m not saying we should sign him but it is clear what he is bringing to the team.
Yeah he just doesn’t bring what you normally expect from your CF!

Vapor trail

I disagree I think United's forward play looks worse with him in the team. I know Eriksen is a big miss but I still think the best United have looked this season with a mostly fit team was Rashford as a centre forward, Sancho and Antony wide. Rashford didn't score as much goals during this period but his genuine play and movement was fantastic.

What will be difficult for Weghorst is that when Eriksen is back with him and Casemiro occupying the midfield the team will play further up the pitch like what we saw from October - January (early). Due to the average positions advancing higher up his linkup play has less emphasis and he will need to penetrate the box more. Because he lacks athleticism that's where he'll come unstuck. It's hard to be critical of him entirely because he's a mere result of the Glazers neglecting over the years to conclude business effectively in January but if Weghorst is here next season it's nothing short of a disaster. He's got 2 goals in 17 across all comps. If people called Lukaku a flop Weghorst is a backflip.

NLunited

I disagree I think United's forward play looks worse with him in the team. I know Eriksen is a big miss but I still think the best United have looked this season with a mostly fit team was Rashford as a centre forward, Sancho and Antony wide. Rashford didn't score as much goals during this period but his genuine play and movement was fantastic.

What will be difficult for Weghorst is that when Eriksen is back with him and Casemiro occupying the midfield the team will play further up the pitch like what we saw from October - January (early). Due to the average positions advancing higher up his linkup play has less emphasis and he will need to penetrate the box more. Because he lacks athleticism that's where he'll come unstuck. It's hard to be critical of him entirely because he's a mere result of the Glazers neglecting over the years to conclude business effectively in January but if Weghorst is here next season it's nothing short of a disaster. He's got 2 goals in 17 across all comps. If people called Lukaku a flop Weghorst is a backflip.
With Weghorst we are scoring 2+ goals on average, without him more like 1.5.

Rashford is best coming off the left.

And that is why Ten Hag keeps playing him.

Marwood

With Weghorst we are scoring 2+ goals on average, without him more like 1.5.

Rashford is best coming off the left.

And that is why Ten Hag keeps playing him.
The higher scoring rate isn't necessarily down to Wouts presence. Especially when he's not scoring. So many other factors could be at play.

But even if it was down to Wout, under no circumstances should United sign him.

I'd even go this far. If ETH signs him I'd be seriously worried about the future. It'd be a marker, a bit like Moyes signing Fellaini. That this won't end well if the manager of Manchester United can think such a player should be here.

Sorry Wout if you're reading. This comes off a tad harsh.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
The higher scoring rate isn't necessarily down to Wouts presence. Especially when he's not scoring. So many other factors could be at play.

I'd even go this far. If ETH signs him I'd be seriously worried about the future. It'd be a marker, a bit like Moyes signing Fellaini. That this won't end well if the manager of Manchester United can think such a player should be here.

Love this. As if 1 signing (that you're not a fan of) absolutely wipes out everything good that EtH has done and is doing based off 1 single signing. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marwood

Love this. As if 1 signing (that you're not a fan of) absolutely wipes out everything good that EtH has done and is doing based off 1 single signing. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's not what I said but glad you're amused by your own imagination.

I said I'd be worried about the future if our manager thought signing a player like Wout was suitable for a club like United. It wouldn't bode well.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
That's not what I said but glad you're amused by your own imagination.

I said I'd be worried about the future if our manager thought signing a player like Wout was suitable for a club like United. It wouldn't bode well.
I said and is doing what a ridiculous prediction to make based off one signing that we may or may not even make. He'll be a good squad option. So you're technically saying is that the whole future of the playing side of club is going to crumble and fall into the abyss because of 1 signing?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
So you're technically saying is that the whole future of the playing side of club is going to crumble and fall into the abyss because of 1 signing?
No, he is quite clearly not saying that. He says it would indicate poor judgment and it is poor judgment that would have him worried going forward, not how a single player performs.

I disagree, mind. I can see scenarios it would be good judgment, as it was in January, even if he couldn't score in a brothel.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
No, he is quite clearly not saying that. He says it would indicate poor judgment and it is poor judgment that would have him worried going forward, not how a single player performs.

I disagree, mind. I can see scenarios it would be good judgment, as it was in January, even if he couldn't score in a brothel.
That would assume we would sign Wout and literally no other striker. Which is clearly not the case.

Marwood

I said and is doing what a ridiculous prediction to make based off one signing that we may or may not even make. He'll be a good squad option. So you're technically saying is that the whole future of the playing side of club is going to crumble and fall into the abyss because of 1 signing?
Right so we've cleared up I didn't say signing Wout would mean everything ETH has done to date and is currently doing is void.

Next bit. No I'm not saying the whole future of the club hinges on his signing or not. That's obviously not the case.

Dead simple this. I think signing Weghorst would be such a poor decision that I'd be really worried about ETH's tenure going forwards. Not his coaching but who and what he thinks is needed at United in terms of players. Recruitment to me is 90% of the job.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Right so we've cleared up I didn't say signing Wout would mean everything ETH has done to date and is currently doing is void.

Next bit. No I'm not saying the whole future of the club hinges on his signing or not. That's obviously not the case.

Dead simple this. I think signing Weghorst would be such a poor decision that I'd be really worried about ETH's tenure going forwards. Not his coaching but who and what he thinks is needed at United in terms of players. Recruitment to me is 90% of the job.
Don't be so ridiculous.

If it's 90% of the job then what is the actual point of the manager then?

I don't think EtH thinks that Wout is the answer. Hence why we are strongly linked with Kane and EtH wants Kane.

I don't know why you think Wout would be such a pivotal downfall in EtH's judgement on player when the other's he has brought in has done so well. But one squad signing and it's all doom and gloom and you think EtH is losing it and shouldn't be "in charge" (which he isn't anyway) of recruitment.

SoCross

How many games has the big man played? Phenomenal levels of fitness.

Really poor show that a club the stature of United has no other player who can play as a centre forward consistently bar the injured Martial.

wolvored

100% agree. He should be thanked at the end of the season and shown the door at the same time. TH has a policy of saying one thing and its only wordplay. Hes praised Martial for his training and Maguire for his off the field captaincy for example, but I expect both will be gone end of the season, or at least try to shift them, wages being the big obstacle.

Marwood

Don't be so ridiculous.

If it's 90% of the job then what is the actual point of the manager then?

I don't think EtH thinks that Wout is the answer. Hence why we are strongly linked with Kane and EtH wants Kane.

I don't know why you think Wout would be such a pivotal downfall in EtH's judgement on player when the other's he has brought in has done so well. But one squad signing and it's all doom and gloom and you think EtH is losing it and shouldn't be "in charge" (which he isn't anyway) of recruitment.
Because he's miles off what we should be buying. Even as a second choice striker. Man Utd shouldn't have centre forwards that don't score goals. No United manager should be signing him permanently.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Because he's miles off what we should be buying. Even as a second choice striker. Man Utd shouldn't have centre forwards that don't score goals. No United manager should be signing him permanently.
This is ridiculously disrespectful

Marwood

This is ridiculously disrespectful
He's got 4 in 34 Prem League appearances and is 30.

City's backup striker has 14 goals this season and is still a young player with room to improve. So it's nothing to do with respect. He's just nowhere near good enough to help us compete with the best.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Who'd have thought he'd have started all 18 games since signing to now.

Chairman Steve

Weggy deserves a medal for being this available to play since he joined. Even in his wildest dreams he couldn’t have foreseen Martial being this big a sicknote.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
The sad part about the whole Weghorst thing is that he's an automatic starter which means every game he's there to disappoint no matter how much people want to dress it differently.

FerociousCorgis

Just worthless out there. Shoots softer than I do. Just throw sabitzer up top he can do the simple one yard passes and actually looks like he knows how to shoot

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He's getting w(egh)orst game by game. I (almost) give up on him. But, I mean, what's the alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.