5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Davie Moyes

I did try to pose a theory in one of my earlier posts.

Quite a few prolific attackers from Bundesliga went to Premier League and failed to come close to their Bundesliga tally. Mickhitaryan, Werner, Haller, Havertz, Sancho. PL is well known for being physical, fast paced, regularly high intensity. It takes freakish ability like Haaland, Aubameyang posses for them to adapt well in PL.

Choupo Moting is a reliable squad player for Bayern. Recently he even starts game regularly and being prolific. He was not the most stand out forward at Stoke few years back.

From the highlight, Weghorst is slow, but somehow Bundesliga defenders are mostly as slow, or even slower than him. He clearly in many cases had a lot of time
. Weghorst is less instinctual, more about reactive with his poaching, shooting. Being more restricted with time and space, his scoring is worsen off maybe?

Also Weghorst looks like he was given penalty duty, so his stats improved.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/wout-weghorst/elfmetertore/spieler/228645

For his decent scoring record, he barely scored in European competitions. Not even a proper handful! Never scored in CL (Wolfsburg did play in CL for a season when he's there).

https://www.transfermarkt.us/wout-weghorst/alletore/spieler/228645

I don't like how he get started in more important games. I have no complaint for game like today or against Southampton (not his fault for us to not win the game. VAR took advantage of Casemiro mistake). There is nothing new about Weghorst performance. He has positive energy, but he severely lacks quality. Even his better performance in more optimal situation still lack end product. Unless he significantly improves (unlikely), there shouldn't be talk about making him permanent next season.

I recently realize Muani moved last summer for free. While we can't always get Muani type free transfer, even Welbeck level of yesteryears free transfer would be an improvement on Weghorst. Our scout seriously need to earn their wage. Hard to believe they can't find a better player.
Thanks for the detailed reply. Interesting observation you have regarding the defenders in Bundesliga being slow. They definitely seem to give the attackers more space and time.

No wonder attackers shine in that league and then most struggle in England. Whilst those coming from the French league seem to adapt well here.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
30 is still considered prime years nowadays. There are so many ways to keep in great shape
True but he has been playing nonstop and his work rate is above average (because that's the reason why he is in the team)

Greck

There every reason to absolutely love him as a fan, but for the little fact of him being a shite striker for the level would like to get back to.

The Caf seems to have an obsession with wanting to sign bad players who give their all for the shirt "to just be useful squad options".
Nah, feck that.

There are enough decent-to-great players out there who'll also have the character that we as fans would like them to have.
It's a misguided and counterproductive sense of loyalty. Playing for the badge should be the bare minimum or anyone of us on here would be in the starting XI. It's not helping to say he deserves to be here beyond summer, it's the "Ole deserves x" mentality reborn. When the club concurs with the shite logic it just kills any chance we have of establishing any kind of standard of excellence. This is not a United level backup striker, period.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I love the guy to bits, his attitude and work ethic are fantastic but I've yet to hear even a kinda decent argument as to why we should give him a new contract, because working hard and staying fit doesn't even come close to being enough if we want to continue improving as a team.

Redlyn

I prefer to completely ignore Martial and take every appearance as a bonus. He might as well just be Jones at this point.

We need 2 new strikers to be able to survive next season. One starter and one serviceable player. If we won't get 2 then it makes sense to keep him another season.

GBBQ

I love the guy to bits, his attitude and work ethic are fantastic but I've yet to hear even a kinda decent argument as to why we should give him a new contract, because working hard and staying fit doesn't even come close to being enough if we want to continue improving as a team.
I think the only justification really is that even when he’s not scoring he’s keeping the shape of the team. He’s not running around like a headless chicken which you might get with a prospect from the youths going into the team.

He’s first choice striker at the moment and we’ve already won a cup, looking like we’ll make top 4 and progressing in two other cups. He’s not it, but he’s not exactly a passenger either.

RedCurry

The bottom three clubs have Che Adams, Solanke, and Bamford. Is Weghorst better than any of those three? I would like nothing more than for him to start banging those goals in but at the moment it is not looking likely unfortunately.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Despite the criticism he gets, he’s done more then Felix, more then mudryk, more then gakpo and he cost less then them all

The Dane

when was working hard and living out your dream ever enough to earn you a contract with United. I would argue that McTominay is more likely to score and win an aerial duel than this guy and you get the same work rate.

Alex B

My feeling is there is a real dearth of top strikers in the world, let alone ones achievable to buy. We need a new top number 9 there is no doubt but rotation opportunities for a 2nd one would be limited. Weghorst with his effort, his ability to play as a deeper striker/10 his likely price and wages and clear passion for the club would be a perfect summer signing in my opinion. I know there are many players at a similar level but he fits the pressing requirements and is settling with a clear bond with the teammates and coaches. New top number 9 plus weghorst would be ideal for me with Rashford able to deputise in emergency/strategic situations. Martial to go if he can't stay fit - last chance for me now.

Djemba-Djemba

The bottom three clubs have Che Adams, Solanke, and Bamford. Is Weghorst better than any of those three? I would like nothing more than for him to start banging those goals in but at the moment it is not looking likely unfortunately.
I think he's no worse than Solanke or Bamford, I think Che Adams is better though.

Devil81

I think he's no worse than Solanke or Bamford, I think Che Adams is better though.
No way is Che Adams better than Weghorst, both are equally shit at scoring goals but Wout is far better pressing and closing players down than Adams.

He's not brilliant but he's better than people are giving him credit for, he doesn't get the ball played into him enough for me. How often do we see him hold his hands out in frustration because he's not recieved a ball.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Sometimes it's not about the ability but the character. Weigy is an absolute example of that.
Throw in us being pretty bare up front after the Ronaldo situation and Martial perennially being injured, and he was a good stop gap.

He's well aware of his brief, knowing he can rack up 20 or so appearances here as a starter, but come the summer it could all be over. He's living the dream and a total team player.
Could still be worth being a back up option signing if so be it then too.

jesperjaap

Despite the criticism he gets, he’s done more then Felix, more then mudryk, more then gakpo and he cost less then them all
Disagree and not one of them is a striker anyway. Felix has been far mor eeffective up front.

Can love his effort, but I dont see what else there has been to justify plaudits, he simply isnt good enough as a starter or a back up option. Putting it bluntly, which strikers has he been better than that have been at this club?

mu4c_20le

My feeling is there is a real dearth of top strikers in the world, let alone ones achievable to buy. We need a new top number 9 there is no doubt but rotation opportunities for a 2nd one would be limited. Weghorst with his effort, his ability to play as a deeper striker/10 his likely price and wages and clear passion for the club would be a perfect summer signing in my opinion. I know there are many players at a similar level but he fits the pressing requirements and is settling with a clear bond with the teammates and coaches. New top number 9 plus weghorst would be ideal for me with Rashford able to deputise in emergency/strategic situations. Martial to go if he can't stay fit - last chance for me now.
He's going to cost up to 10m. Not to turn this into a transfer thread, but Marcus Thuram on a free could do what he does and hopefully much more.

ArbeitervonWien

He's going to cost up to 10m. Not to turn this into a transfer thread, but Marcus Thuram on a free could do what he does and hopefully much more.
I could image with signing and agent fees + salary, Thuram would be more expansive than Weghorst.

Alex B

I could image with signing and agent fees + salary, Thuram would be more expansive than Weghorst.
Thuram would be on my list as a backup striker but would just prefer Weghorst. Feel Thuram would rightly have higher ambition than a backup, even at United, would want far higher wages and he suffers from niggling injuries. There would be a resale value though and he hasn't peaked yet. Fine margins, depends what Burnley want for Weghorst I guess

DJ_21

Disagree and not one of them is a striker anyway. Felix has been far mor eeffective up front.

Can love his effort, but I dont see what else there has been to justify plaudits, he simply isnt good enough as a starter or a back up option. Putting it bluntly, which strikers has he been better than that have been at this club?
Hard to answer that as he’s only been here a few months. I absolute agree that he’s nowhere near good enough to be starting for us but he was the only option… the other option was a striker that plays about 5 games a season if we’re lucky. I just think a lot of people always look at and pick out the negatives. You don’t hear anything bad being said about other teams signings who have cost more then this one and have done less.

Djemba-Djemba

Hard to answer that as he’s only been here a few months. I absolute agree that he’s nowhere near good enough to be starting for us but he was the only option… the other option was a striker that plays about 5 games a season if we’re lucky. I just think a lot of people always look at and pick out the negatives. You don’t hear anything bad being said about other teams signings who have cost more then this one and have done less.
If he's only here until the end of the season then I think everyone will be fine with that.

He was brought in as an emergency because Ronaldo left and with Martial completely falling apart he's ended up having to play every single game. My only issue is with people wanting to make it a permanent deal. That would be a bad decision in my opinion.

DJ_21

If he's only here until the end of the season then I think everyone will be fine with that.

He was brought in as an emergency because Ronaldo left and with Martial completely falling apart he's ended up having to play every single game. My only issue is with people wanting to make it a permanent deal. That would be a bad decision in my opinion.
Ye absolutely I agree. In no circumstance should this become a permanent and I don’t think it will be.

criticalanalysis

He's probably going to start....come you big fecker, score us a load of goals on Sunday to win the game comfortably and shut our mouths up!

Vapor trail

His footballing ability is atrocious if the club kept him beyond summer it would almost exclusively be enough to warrant the new owners throwing out the CEO + DOF for such a ridiculous decision.

Weghorst is a mid-tier championship level player, excellent attitude but how many other players from lower clubs would exemplify the same commitment being average competitively their whole career and getting a move to United that was based on nothing but circumstances and the stars aligning in the right direction.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Are there many better but cheap strikers that work as hard as Wout?

Lee565

It is probably harsh to put this on him but ever since he joined and was getting starts our form has not been as great, we was legit in the title race the game before he joined and now we are scrapping for top 4 again and falling far behind the arsenal, I'm sure there are many reasons for our bumpy form over the past few months but him being a hardworking body is not showing any real plus to it than had gone down the false 9 route or used rashford there instead.

Eric_the_Red99

The thing I really don’t get is why we had absolutely no youth player even in consideration as a back up for Martial, meaning we had to bring in a sub-standard import.

I get how traditional strikers have fallen out of fashion, but has the academy not been able to produce a single one with even a chance of making the first team bench? The academy has produced more nippy little wingers than we know what to do with - Elanga, Garnacho, Pellistri, Amad - but there seems to be nobody coming through in any other position (apart from Mainoo in midfield, and the jury is still out on him).

alexanderplatz

I think in his current role he needs to have a lot of movement around him to have any influence. Last few games there hasn’t been enough of that and so he ends up looking lost in a way. Appreciate his application and work rate though, he can only give his best and he is doing that.

NLunited

It is probably harsh to put this on him but ever since he joined and was getting starts our form has not been as great, we was legit in the title race the game before he joined and now we are scrapping for top 4 again and falling far behind the arsenal, I'm sure there are many reasons for our bumpy form over the past few months but him being a hardworking body is not showing any real plus to it than had gone down the false 9 route or used rashford there instead.
Since he has come we have scored more goals on average. Our downturn in form is due to injuries, red cards and fatigue.

Status
Not open for further replies.