5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Malone_Post

Second it’s clear he had no money to work with in January and given the fact Martial is made of wet tissue and also the Ronaldo blow up, he’s done the best he can on a shoestring. Imagine how it might go when he has some financial backing to shape his squad!
He spent £250 million in the summer and was given carte blanche to pretty much sign whoever he wanted. To say he’s working on a shoestring budget is ridiculous.

As for Weghorst, it’s absolutely bizzare that Erik’s chosen him as his hill to die on.

Edwards6

He spent £250 million in the summer and was given carte blanche to pretty much sign whoever he wanted. To say he’s working on a shoestring budget is ridiculous.

As for Weghorst, it’s absolutely bizzare that Erik’s chosen him as his hill to die on.
Yeah he should of known in the summer that Ronaldo would be shit then force his way out half way through the season and Martial would be injured all season :houllier: should of signed a striker just in case instead of the other positions that we needed at the time

SAFMUTD

We would have score 1 or 2 in first half today at least if Osimhen or Kane was the striker.
That's not true, we barely created anything. Besides that chance he had, which wasn't a big chance by any means, in which he hit the side of the net we didn't create anything.

We definitely need way better, I don't like Weghorst even as a rotation option. But we could've had Osimenh, Kane or Benzema today and it would have changed nothing. It was about midfield performance not being able to hold the freaking ball for more than 2 passes more than the attackers missing chances.

SAFMUTD

Yeah considering all the amazing strikers we have sitting on the bench waiting for their chance it's really strange Ten Hag has persisted with Weghorst.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That's not true, we barely created anything. Besides that chance he had, which wasn't a big chance by any means, in which he hit the side of the net we didn't create anything.

We definitely need way better, I don't like Weghorst even as a rotation option. But we could've had Osimenh, Kane or Benzema today and it would have changed nothing. It was about midfield performance not being able to hold the freaking ball for more than 2 passes more than the attackers missing chances.
An attacker can help big time in terms of ball retention and game involment. Touching the ball 15times is ridiculously low and even less than Martial in more time on the pitch.
His main role as a striker is to score but he has also other responsibilities since he ain't doing that.
At the moment, there isn't a single aspect of football he's useful at. Going without a designated 9 (Moving Rashford there) was always the way to go without Martial

ti vu

Said it was a waste of time before he signed, plenty on here were chastising those of us who
said this

I will say this in ETH's defence.

It's his first season and he's having to plug a few holes in the squad, because Utd have a woefully average and unbalanced squad. His options were limited in the transfer market and his squad options are limited even more due to Martial being injured so much.

In his first season Klopp ended up playing an on loan Caulker up top, so it could always be worse.
Managers use the tall guys up front when desperate from time to time. I recalled even Pep desperately threw Yaya Toure up front in his first season in one occasion. ETH played Maguire up top toward the end against Real Sociedad in the final group stage game this very season too.

The keyword is occasion, occasional. This is different though. Weghorst keeps starting, even as no 10 where ETH shoehorn other players into different positions. Klopp didn't start Caulker upfront, nor playing him there all game. Early in the season, ETH had the courage to tried to do different thing like starting Rashford up front, and starting Elanga in our victory against Liverpool at home. Rashford when he is bad on the wing may still be a more reliable shooter if we let him have the ball in more central position. Why left him for dead on the wing when the whole attack is not working? The excuse to keep starting Weghorst now is just indefensible.

kouroux

Managers use the tall guys up front when desperate from time to time. I recalled even Pep desperately threw Yaya Toure up front in his first season in one occasion. ETH played Maguire up top toward the end against Real Sociedad in the final group stage game this very season too.

The keyword is occasion, occasional. This is different though. Weghorst keeps starting, even as no 10 where ETH shoehorn other players into different positions. Klopp didn't start Caulker upfront, nor playing him there all game. Early in the season, ETH had the courage to tried to do different thing like starting Rashford up front, and starting Elanga in our victory against Liverpool at home. Rashford when he is bad on the wing may still be a more reliable shooter if we let him have the ball in more central position. Why left him for dead on the wing when the whole attack is not working? The excuse to keep starting Weghorst now is just indefensible.
And he keeps starting games regardless of performances. Having Martial injured should never have meant that Weghorst is undroppable

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
And he keeps starting games regardless of performances. Having Martial injured should never have meant that Weghorst is undroppable
I genuinely think we’d have been better off just playing Rashford uptop and Garnacho and Pellistri more frequently out wide over the course of the last 20 matches than signing him on loan. How many times did Weghorst actually directly change a match? Virtually every game we’ve won is normally in spite of him, not because. I mean we’ve scored so many more of our goals without him on the pitch than with him and he’s started every game, ffs.

mu4c_20le

Yeah he should of known in the summer that Ronaldo would be shit then force his way out half way through the season and Martial would be injured all season :houllier: should of signed a striker just in case instead of the other positions that we needed at the time
Ronaldo was already acting up before preseason started

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

One of the multiple reasons we barely create anything is our attacking transition is being killed off with poor hold up play and zero pace. Everytime the ball goes to Weghorst's or McT's feet, we lost it. And during the off ball movement, Weghorst is very slow so when we want to make through ball attempt, Weghorst couldn't make it.

On contrary, if we have Kane who is good with his feet and can hold the ball, it will improve us in attacking transition to create chances. The same with Osimhen, if we have his pace, it will improve us in attacking transition to create chances by making through ball to him. The limitation of Weghorst also played big part.

ti vu

Ronaldo was literally forcing his way out all along in the summer. It's the matter of when he would leave. With hindsight, it should have been better if we accepted the rumor deal of ditching Ronaldo to Napoli and sign Osimhen for 100mil.

Ronaldo deserved to receive all the shite thrown at him for the extra push mid season. However, it doesn't reflect any better on the DOF and the recruitment team where after the fan opposed Arnautovic move broke down in the summer, we couldn't find an alternative then.Again we were reactive to Ronaldo situation, than proactively search for back up forward.

Ask ourselves this question: even if Ronaldo had stayed, were we Okay without an emergency forward signing? Evidently Ronaldo couldn't hit a barn door, and Martial stayed out injured for most of the first half the season.

Last edited:

kouroux

One of the multiple reasons we barely create anything is our attacking transition is being killed off with poor hold up play and zero pace. Everytime the ball goes to Weghorst's or McT's feet, we lost it. And during the off ball movement, Weghorst is very slow so when we want to make through ball attempt, Weghorst couldn't make it.

On contrary, if we have Kane who is good with his feet and can hold the ball, it will improve us in attacking transition to create chances. The same with Osimhen, if we have his pace, it will improve us in attacking transition to create chances by making through ball to him. The limitation of Weghorst also played big part.
That's what so many fans don't understand, Weghorst isn't disconnect from the rest of the attack as in his own performances can help up keep the ball, link up better and create chances for him and others. Like you said, Kane is a prime example of that, Wout wouldn't even need to do all of that, just protect the ball and simple lay it off to run. If he would do that more consistently, we'd be able to build more attacks

ti vu

As other poster already took on the Osimhen and Kane points, I shorten my post with Benzema point here.

You must be kidding when you brought Benzema into the conversation. Did you miss Martial cameo for this game? Martial ability to receive the ball under pressure and turn alone get our attack tick and create some opening. This is not even the best Martial can offer and his cameo is distinctly much better than Weghorst.

Benzema is even more well rounded forward. Even the best version of Martial is shy in comparison to Benzema when it comes to running in behind, poaching goal in the box, making decoy run, defensive work, general playmaking, general aerial ability, variety of finishing...

Playing well and being unlucky may not change the result for game like this; but outright believe that better forward can't inject quality and improve team performance more than Weghorst is baffling. It's truly bizarre some extend people go to defend Weghorst.

Last edited:

Chief123

“He’s a nice lad and works hard.”

Why is it every pundit and fan seem to say that, before they say he’s fecking shit!
Because it’s better to be a nice guy who works hard and be shit than be a tosser who’s lazy and still shit.

The Dane

If he was better in the air then I'd happily sign him permanently to sub on with 10 minutes to go when we're desperately chasing the game and lumping crosses into box. But he's not particular good aerially.
This is exactly my point as well. He is worse with his head than with his feet. Mctominay is better with head and feet and he at least knows where the goal is. In fact take any player in the PL and give them the same amount of game time as a striker for Manchester United and my guess is they will end up scoring more goals and create more chances for the team than WW

Rake

There is no way he is staying beyond this season. I know Erik said he might stay permanently, but there is no point in stating anything other than that right now. We still have ~20 games to play and we have nothing to gain by slating him publicly.

Shady

Dutch managers have a habit of giving their countrymen way too much playing time and confidence. Ten Hag is doing it with Wout. Completely insane he is starting every match.

Kostov

How about not paying 160m on Antony and Martinez alone?

EasyE

I think it's really, really bad when I say I would rather have Welbeck back. He offered more. It just feels tight now as the players don't even acknowledge him when he IS in a good position, as he is hopeless when even put on a plate. Maguire would be more useful up top, bettter presence / better feet.

Reactions: Sultan

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I think there is two things going on here.
Firstly I think he is a manager who is married to his system/philosophy and is working out how this translates into the English PL from the eredivisie. It’s a couple of levels up for sure. So a player like Weghorst would potentially have been wonderful in the Netherlands, but you can see he is way off the pace and the required standard here.
Second it’s clear he had no money to work with in January and given the fact Martial is made of wet tissue and also the Ronaldo blow up, he’s done the best he can on a shoestring. Imagine how it might go when he has some financial backing to shape his squad!
He decided that the club spending 85m on Antony was the right thing to do so i have little sympathy for having no money in January. He wasted most of the seasons budget on a fairly mediocre footballer.

Casemiro and Martinez have been quality signings. Antony signing has basically meant we had to get Weghorst rather than someone half decent.

That's on the manager for me.

Thank god Martial is back. We've all been supportive of Weghorst because hes a nice guy and loves the club, but feck me hes shite. To the point of being a detriment to the team. Yesterday he looked like an amateur who took a wrong turn on the way to the local common. He will be ETH's Ronaldo if hes not careful. We are playing every game with 10 men.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
He is obviously not good enough but he said himself that he is playing too much, or something along those lines, I cba finding the quotes but it’s almost 20 games since mid January which is ridiculous to expect anybody to be at anything close to their best.
We had better fix this squad this summer because if we’re still seeing this lack of rotation again next season then we are screwed. Players are going to start getting proper injuries.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
His confidence is shattered so he can’t even do the things he was decent at anymore. To be clear, he was like a 50-year-old non league goalkeeper when it came to shooting in the first place. Playing him on Wednesday is cruelty (to him and us).

Hughes35

Has there ever been a less talented player to play for the club? (Genuine question).

I really can't think of one with less footballing ability. There have been worse signings but lack of talent, I don't think so?

stevoc

Does anyone still think he's "fine as a backup"?
People's judgement has obviously been clouded by his work ethic and him seeming like a nice guy. Truth is at no point in his time here has he shown anything to suggest he's good enough to even be a back-up. His general level of play is so far below everyone else in the team it really is like playing with 10 men. His teammates don't pass to him and he doesn't even offer a poachers threat. Opposition centre backs can help their fullbacks with our wingers safe in the knowledge Wout's not going to cause them any trouble.

All I can say is thank feck Tony Martial's back, I appreciate the hard work Wout has put in while he's been out but this really should be the end of the Weghorst experiment.

norm87cro

Work ethic or not the fact is Newcastle outran us, wanted it more, won more 50/50s and Weghorst seemed like the only player on the pitch who actually gave a f... and that really doesnt mean he should be here next season. Our midfield was non exsistent. To a player like him that means isolation. He did bottle the Antony created chance though. But yeah if Bruno had Weghorst attitude we maybe could have gotten something yesterday.

norm87cro

Has there ever been a less talented player to play for the club? (Genuine question).

I really can't think of one with less footballing ability. There have been worse signings but lack of talent, I don't think so?
His link up play is really great and if you seriously think about it yeah there were less talented players

Verminator

I'm pretty sure it's no exaggeration to say that there are several Championship teams who wouldn't either
Quite a sizeable number too.

If you don't have pace as a striker, you'd better have a great shot on you.
If you have neither, you sure as shit, better be good in the air.

Who else would play a striker that fails abysmally on all three?

Mmxxii

There are ways around that. Rashford as a striker Antony Sancho on the wings is one.
Weghorst is so bad that other alternatives, though suboptimal, are justifiable.

For instance, moving Rashford central and bringing in Elanga, Sancho or Pellistri seem better (though less than ideal) than starting Weghorst.

You could even play Bruno as a false 9 and pack the midfield.

With Weghorst, the attack loses its pace and dynamism which are crucial to how Utd attacks. Think of Rashford's winning goal against City this season when he was moved to a central position after Martial's substitution. That goal won't happen if Weghorst was playing.

Woziak

I genuinely love ETH however if he continues to pick Weghorst, especially with new owners like Qatar coming in, providing that happens and the club does not make top 4 or CL, they will get rid of him irrespective of what we think of as fans, you lose 9 or 10 PL games under them in a season and your gone, you get 1 or 2 points in 12 and your gone!

So yes he’s hampered but the following are better options right now

1. Martial hopefully fit and playing as a 9
2. Rashford playing centrally and Sancho or Elanga playing left with Antony right
3. False 9 with Bruno playing there
4. Mctominay playing as a 9
5. Joe Hugil from under 21’s playing there
6. Playing a 4312 with Rashford and Martial as twin strikers and Eriksen, Bruno or Sabitzer behind them
7. Playing a 4321 formation with Rashford at the point and Sancho snd Bruno as Playmaking 10’s and picking Eriksen, Sabitzer and Casemeiro as the midfield

8. Anything but Weghorst

stevoc

Quite a sizeable number too.

If you don't have pace as a striker, you'd better have a great shot on you.
If you have neither, you sure as shit, better be good in the air.

Who else would play a striker that fails abysmally on all three?
He can hold the ball up well, has a great first touch and is good at linking up play.

Or so I hear anyway.

norm87cro

His link up play is abysmal and I question the sanity of anyone who thinks otherwise
Not saying hes a great player but he does have his prons. The fact is if your midfield gets dominated by the likes of Sean Longstaff then your CF really isnt a prime issue

Godfather

He's a guy you want to do well based on his mentality. Sadly he's just not all that.

Not his fault though we have 1,5 strikers at the moment and had feck all money to spend in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.