g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Zlatan Ibrahimovic |United Player | See the thread in the United Forum

Should we sign Ibra on a free this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JB7

Do you realise how much Ibrahimovic earns/is worth/stands to make with us? In any case I'm less concerned about him waiting it out for his loyalty bonus and more concerned about his antics in the media. I was not impressed with that fake announcement deadline, or his rubbish about enjoying the media's speculation and wanting to drag it out (whether or not that's a smokescreen).
Yes I do but he won't start earning anything from us until the 1st July regardless of when his signing is announced, so it'd be turning down free money to sign for us before he gets the loyalty bonus!

The announcement deadline was media nonsense, he was always launching his sportswear line never announcing his new club. I don't really know what he's supposed to say, he's already said that he knows his next club & just gets asked the same questions every time he steps out. Yes, he's clearly loving the attention but that's working in his favour regards his business so can understand why he'd do that.

JB7

Unless he gets a serious injury at the Euros and we've wasted a month sitting around not signing a forward.
Better that than signing him before the Euros & him then getting a serious injury & being a £250k drain on our weekly wages and not even able to play...

jungledrums

I don't doubt he wants to play for us, and I'm not saying I don't want him. I just don't like these media antics. This rubbish about him enjoying the media stories about himself and that he'll reveal his future when he's bored of it; I don't care if it's a smokescreen or if he's joking, it really turns me off. And I genuinely do think he believe's he's bigger than the clubs he plays for, which makes me very nervous.
What can you expect? He's literally the most arrogant personality in football. I don't say that as a negative. He's entertaining, he's supremely talented, and he's a natural born winner. It would be naive to expect him to drastically change his personality because he's coming to United. We aren't the first big club he's played at. I don't even particularly see what's so questionable about what he's done so far... Sure, feeding off the attention, but assuming he does sign for us, I don't think you could begrudge him that.

Reactions: Varun

Gbenger

Haha. Zlatan is better than both of those strikers and we have excellent prospects in Rashford and Martial. Don't be so glum.
Zlatan better than Aguero? Even Aubameyang is more likely to be a success than Zlatan in the PL.
I hope Martial stays on the left and it's all speculative that's Rashford or Martial (in the CF position) is gonna be even good enough in 1-2 years so that also is another poor reason for signing Zlatan.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Do you realise how much Ibrahimovic earns/is worth/stands to make with us? In any case I'm less concerned about him waiting it out for his loyalty bonus and more concerned about his antics in the media. I was not impressed with that fake announcement deadline, or his rubbish about enjoying the media's speculation and wanting to drag it out (whether or not that's a smokescreen).
His messing around with the media is aimed at making a fool out of the media as much as enhancing the coverage his clothing range gets. He has a real dislike for journalists so to see them all fall over each other with speculations and false stories, it's no surprise he is enjoying it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't doubt he wants to play for us, and I'm not saying I don't want him. I just don't like these media antics. This rubbish about him enjoying the media stories about himself and that he'll reveal his future when he's bored of it; I don't care if it's a smokescreen or if he's joking, it really turns me off. And I genuinely do think he believe's he's bigger than the clubs he plays for, which makes me very nervous.
It's all about publicity, keep his name in the papers and keep himself relevant. Just look at Mayweather and Mcgregor, they'll never fight but they keep their names alive by keeping these rumours alive. Zlatan is launching his clothing brand, of course he will want people to keep talking about him.

Just be patient, it'll happen. Maybe the club have told him to keep quiet until they are happy to announce it.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Zlatan better than Aguero? Even Aubameyang is more likely to be a success than Zlatan in the PL.
I hope Martial stays on the left and it's all speculative that's Rashford or Martial (in the CF position) is gonna be even good enough in 1-2 years so that also is another poor reason for signing Zlatan.
Well in that case half our scouts and coaches should just pack up and go home. Your point of view is completely asymmetric to the club's ethos.

littlepeasoup

I'd say it would be worse if we signed him and he got a serious injury after that.
Yeah. I was thinking something that had him on the sidelines for 2-3 months so he could play later in the season, but put into doubt our willingness to sign him. It's a bit of a weird one, going for players on one year deals isn't it?

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Absolutely. Not to mention he's injury prone as well. Regarding Auba, well that's your opinion and i disagree. I also hope Martial stays on the left next season but that doesn't take away the fact that he's as natural up front as he is on the wing. These are reasons i hope we don't buy an established striker for the long term. I want the club to trust in Martial and Rashford as our options for the future.

Gbenger

Well in that case half our scouts and coaches should just pack up and go home. Your point of view is completely asymmetric to the club's ethos.
What club's ethos are you harping on about here? If we really had one to consider in this context, I doubt it's anything to be proud of considering the spate of the poor significant decisions we've been used to in recent years. This could be just another easily.

Mr Smith

What can you expect? He's literally the most arrogant personality in football. I don't say that as a negative. He's entertaining, he's supremely talented, and he's a natural born winner. It would be naive to expect him to drastically change his personality because he's coming to United. We aren't the first big club he's played at. I don't even particularly see what's so questionable about what he's done so far... Sure, feeding off the attention, but assuming he does sign for us, I don't think you could begrudge him that.
All of that's true, but it's still leaving a bad taste in my mouth. It may go back the fact that I've actually never liked him at all; I've always admired him as a player, but been thoroughly turned off by his arrogance. And this stuff is quickly cooling the initial excitement I had when we were first being linked with him, like it's reminding me of all the reasons I can't stand him.

To be fair, I'll probably forget all about it if he starts banging them in for us on a regular basis.

jungledrums

All of that's true, but it's still leaving a bad taste in my mouth. It may go back the fact that I've actually never liked him at all; I've always admired him as a player, but been thoroughly turned off by his arrogance. And this stuff is quickly cooling the initial excitement I had when we were first being linked with him, like it's reminding me of all the reasons I can't stand him.

To be fair, I'll probably forget all about it if he starts banging them in for us on a regular basis.
I do agree, but typically, clubs announce signings. I can only remember two cases of the opposite happening (Gundogan, and Hazard). The media attention comes with the territory, given his status and our status as a club. If you look at it that way, it's not even particularly arrogant. He's doing what all footballers do - answer the generic media questions with vague answers. The fact that it's getting drawn out isn't a mark of his arrogance, even if this loyalty bonus is the reason behind it. Why not blame United for not announcing? Or blame the media for hounding him!
I'm sure if he bangs the goals in you'll get back on the Zlatan train!

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
When he was first rumoured I was against the signing, I did a full 180 and was on for it...but I'm turning again.

Not a fan at all of his antics. Don't care if he decks off to China now

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'm sure this has been said/asked already - but I don't understand how announcing a deal that will begin in July (after his PSG contract has ended) will influence any loyalty bonus. Surely, that will still involve him completing his contract with Paris, and they are already fully aware that he will not renew with them, nor will he retire this summer anyway.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I do agree, but typically, clubs announce signings. I can only remember two cases of the opposite happening (Gundogan, and Hazard). The media attention comes with the territory, given his status and our status as a club. If you look at it that way, it's not even particularly arrogant. He's doing what all footballers do - answer the generic media questions with vague answers. The fact that it's getting drawn out isn't a mark of his arrogance, even if this loyalty bonus is the reason behind it. Why not blame United for not announcing? Or blame the media for hounding him!
I'm sure if he bangs the goals in you'll get back on the Zlatan train!
Hang on he is the one who organises a media day to promote his new range and to get more people watching clearly leads people on that it may also be a big announcement regarding his future.

Ole90+3

If there is any chance of Dortmund willing to sell Auba we should be in for him - he's the perfect counter attacking striker. We could use this lag time between finalising the Ibra deal to our advantage.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I reckon this loyalty bonus is BS.

It's good to wait a little anyway. This thread needs 200+ pages.

jungledrums

Hang on he is the one who organises a media day to promote his new range and to get more people watching clearly leads people on that it may also be a big announcement regarding his future.
So what is the alternative you propose? Cancel his new brand announcement so he doesn't lead United fans on? Players virtually never announce their new clubs, they wait for club confirmation, so anyone assuming he'd announce his new club is perhaps guilty themselves of buying into the hype. I don't think he's doing a thing wrong to be honest.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I'm sure this has been said/asked already - but I don't understand how announcing a deal that will begin in July (after his PSG contract has ended) will influence any loyalty bonus. Surely, that will still involve him completing his contract with Paris, and they are already fully aware that he will not renew with them, nor will he retire this summer anyway.
I have the same question. If he is not renewing his contract and everyone knows that. How will matter to PSG whether he sings for us before or after June?

Doesn't make sense to me.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
So what is the alternative you propose? Cancel his new brand announcement so he doesn't lead United fans on? Players virtually never announce their new clubs, they wait for club confirmation, so anyone assuming he'd announce his new club is perhaps guilty themselves of buying into the hype. I don't think he's doing a thing wrong to be honest.
No but refraining from wording such as dropping bombs of epic proportion or whatever he said would help

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
No but refraining from wording such as dropping bombs of epic proportion or whatever he said would help
He's used the situation to generate attention for his new business, what PR savvy person wouldn't?

People don't half get worked up over the silliest of things.

Ixion

I have the same question. If he is not renewing his contract and everyone knows that. How will matter to PSG whether he sings for us before or after June?

We don't know the details, maybe he doesn't get the bonus if he signs a contract with someone else during his PSG contract. I don't really see the problem, we just wait till next month and at worse he gets injured during the Euros and we're glad we didn't sign anything anyway.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Better that than signing him before the Euros & him then getting a serious injury & being a £250k drain on our weekly wages and not even able to play...
Sweden aren't going to play that many games, I really don't think its that big a risk. There are marquee transfer fees for big players done before major tournaments as a norm.. so I don't get the caution argument with Zlatan.

Adebesi

Im sure I read somewhere that Zlatan has such complete control over his body that he was able to heal his own bones within minutes just by willing the broken fragments to fuse back together.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I still wonder whether we are exploring other striker options first with Zlatan the back up if they come to nothing.

Devil81

I still wonder whether we are exploring other striker options first with Zlatan the back up if they come to nothing.

Not a chance Ibra's agent wouldn't catch wind of us shopping around for a more suitable striker. They'd have walked away by now if this was the case.

Riverized157

Supports
Benfica
Zlatan Ibrahimović has 34 years old and that is a senior age for most of the footballers.

That said Ibrahimović is clearly above most of the footballers he is an genius and has scored 50 goals in 51 games for PSG last year - doesnt look like that his powers are fading, does it?

You can say that the French League is a Mickey Mouse competition but still there is no other player scoring that amount of goals in that competition and he also managed to score 5 goals in 10 champions league games - so the reason for is ridiculous states are no other then is quality.

He would come for free, sure he would demand some big wages but would be money well spent in one year contract with chance to renew in the end of the year - It looks like a win win situation for me and risk free.

He could also work has an hell of a "teacher" for the likes of Rashford and would certainly boost the moral of the team and fans.

So there is no doubt in my mind that United should go for Ibra - he even has previous worked with Mourinho with much success.

Devil81

The transfer makes perfect sense, if he continues to prove the age critics wrong, he gets another years contract. If he doesn't prove to be a huge success he moves on to pastures new.

Rashford will also continue his progress into the first team with games up front and out wide.

Red Digger

United should announce if he is coming or not. The club should let him know who's bigger and more important. If he changes his mind and doesn't join then he obviously isn't right for us. I don't care either way, I could take him or leave him.

yahya

ZLATAN IBRAHIMOVIC! :devil:

dont know wtf people are worried about! Rashford and Martial only going to get better playing with Zlatan.

Oldmaz

Supports
Zlatan
His messing around with the media is aimed at making a fool out of the media as much as enhancing the coverage his clothing range gets. He has a real dislike for journalists so to see them all fall over each other with speculations and false stories, it's no surprise he is enjoying it.
This is so true. He doesnt like the general media at all. He has a few fav journalists he talks to. This season he never talked to the French media after a game (if its not was a pressconfernce). He feeds on speculations and negative reports from the media. Hes always saying that its "trigger" him to prove them all wrong. This is a classic Ibra when it comes to transfers in general. Just sit back and wait, Santa will come in the end. Signing big stars are never quick and easy.

Reactions: Invictus

Rake

Depends on the contract really, there are many things that make financial sense to teams and are included in contracts that will remain hidden from the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.