Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Even as big Herrrera's fan it's not hard to admit he is having really poor season. Still not much worse than any of our midfielders or forwards.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
One of the few players I enjoyed watching even in our shittest moments and he's started playing like a nob as well. It's literally just Dave, Mike and Martial left.

Luke Shaw could sneak onto the podium for POTY at this rate
Why is this happening though, there must be a reason. We have two away games this coming week. I can see Newcastle turning up for a change and god help LvG if we lose at Liverpool and badly.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Am now convinced he is vastly over rated. Was invisible until I saw him trudge off being substituted. Abysmal.

Complain about Rooney as much as we like, it's herrera's job to get him involved and provide service. Herrera was nowhere to be seen

Rockets Redglare

Am now convinced he is vastly over rated. Was invisible until I saw him trudge off being substituted. Abysmal.

Complain about Rooney as much as we like, it's herrera's job to get him involved and provide service. Herrera was nowhere to be seen
I always quite liked him but I completely agree with you. For some reason he gets a pass on here like none of the other players do, even though he rarely does anything of note.

DomesticTadpole

He was poor today and deserves the complaining just like Mata, Rooney and Fellaini.
It will be interesting to see our performance at Liverpool next weekend. Last season it was a joy. Klopp has his team up for the big teams. We will see how much damage LvG has done to the confidence of these players. I think it is a confidence thing with Herrera.

acnumber9

He shouldn't be playing behind the striker. He's nowhere near creative enough for it and he isn't a good enough goal scorer. If we're being honest he's overrated on this forum because of how pedestrian the rest of our midfield is.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons

You keep saying every week that he is overrated, despite majority here saying he is poor lately, and lots of people repeating he is overrated just like you. How exactly is he overrated then, by who?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
You keep saying every week that he is overrated, despite majority here saying he is poor lately, and lots of people repeating he is overrated just like you. How exactly is he overrated then, by who?
He has a huge fanboy clan on here, but I struggle to see what any of it is based on.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
He has a huge fanboy clan on here, but I struggle to see what any of it is based on.
Any of what? Who exactly is praising him? Just because he has fanboys who like him in general doesn't mean he is overrated. Many of us(fanboys, if you can call me one) will easily admit he is poor this season.

DomesticTadpole

That is why I am saying about the Liverpool game. That was one of the highlights for Ander last season. Whatever side LvG picks has to live up to that performance. Ander took risks, he was edgy. He either isn't fit or the system is wrong. Problem is another manager would fit the system to the players and get the best out of them. LvG is a law unto himself. I don't think a lot of these players are enjoying their football. They can't be, nobody wants the crowd having a go at them all the time.

Acole9

Outstanding
He was crap today, no one seems to know whether he's a number 10 or a centre midfielder.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Poor today and poor overall this season. Don't blame him much though.

He's a box to box midfielder, wasted at #10.

DomesticTadpole

Poor today and poor overall this season. Don't blame him much though.

He's a box to box midfielder, wasted at #10.
LvG and his cronies are supposed to be so meticulous, yet I doubt he has any idea where or how the players he has bought played for their former clubs.

pacifictheme

He shouldn't be playing behind the striker. He's nowhere near creative enough for it and he isn't a good enough goal scorer. If we're being honest he's overrated on this forum because of how pedestrian the rest of our midfield is.
This. He should be a squad player for us. Not one of our best options for an attacking midfield / 10 role...

HabeasC

As much as it hurts, he has become the new Kagawa. He would do better, undoubtedly, in a different system though. He is not suited to this slow-slow pick your pass carefully style of football.

DomesticTadpole

As much as it hurts, he has become the new Kagawa. He would do better, undoubtedly, in a different system though. He is not suited to this slow-slow pick your pass carefully style of football.
He has come from a side that harried and harassed teams into submission. This slow stuff must be as awful to him as it is to us.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Would like to see a manager come in and play him in a normal 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 as a box to box midfielder, and actually in a quick, attacking style that encourages taking risks. When he joined us he tried through passes all the time, now I don't remember when the last time he tried one was. He'd be great at a team like Arsenal or City I think. Van Gaal is wasting every single attack minded player we have though.

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
Wouldn't go as far as to say he's overrated, but he's not in good form. I think he'll bounce back. People love to go to extremes based on a few games.

criticalanalysis

Any of what? Who exactly is praising him? Just because he has fanboys who like him in general doesn't mean he is overrated. Many of us(fanboys, if you can call me one) will easily admit he is poor this season.
I think what sammsky1 is asking in general is 'what is he good at to be rated so highly (by fanboys)'.

Imo it's his all round high level skillset. Positionally I think he needs to find his 'game' (but half of that is defined by a manager imo) but if he can show what he has shown before, you are looking at a very very good midfielder.

Shame you can't really judge how sh|t he's been because of lack of talent (according to some) or LVG.

I still believe a manager like Klopp, Poch or Simone would have our squad blitzing through teams.

The key to those manager's philosophies? Having athletes (so you wouldn't get bullied physically and have the stamina to press and attack) with good all round abilities (to defend and attack at the same time).

DDG, Smalling, Herrera, Schneiderlin, Martial (also Shaw and Valencia) would be the top tier spine then your Lingard, Memphis, Darmian, Young, Schweinsteiger, Blind, Matas etc would compliment the team in their roles.

It's simple really. We expend so much energy going square and running back into shape, so even with all that useless possession, we look lethargic and vulnerable when attacking. Instead get your Klopps and Poch to get the players to press, defend and attack down the middle in speed. More sprints but if managed carefully, you probably expend 'less' exhaustive energy but creating more space and attacking situations for your players to work triangles, one-twos, through balls etc etc.

izzydiggler

I like him - he's got a good attitude, feisty and a crowd pleaser but a 'cog', rather than a someone who dictates/changes games.

I see why us fans like him but in opposition to how some people talk about him, he's hardly irreplaceable.

Think he could be better in another system, mind.

RedStarUnited

He was good last year, hence the fan boys.

He has been wank this year though, can play at number 10 and be making such bad passing choices.

InfiniteBoredom

It's actually sad to see a player as naturally positive as him playing conservatively. He'd flourish under someone like Klopp. His work rate, technique and affinity for risk taking are tailor made for a high octane counter attacking team.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Big fan of his but he was just as bad as anyone bar Mata today. Today and Stoke are easily his worst two performances for us.

Name Changed

weso26
He's getting worse, as is everyone else. It's obviously due to the training/tactics/mentality that is being employed.

Status
Not open for further replies.