g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Ander Herrera image 21

Ander Herrera Spain flag

2015-16 Performances

View full 2015-16 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
That's exactly what I expected and wanted too.

It actually baffles me to think what we would have done with Vidal had we signed him.
Our transfer policy seems to be to deliver the aperitif but not the main course. Ander was part of the midfield jigsaw but the club have failed miserably with the rest of the midfield recruits attacking wise. BFS is not the answer, we needed someone, as you say like a Vidal, who is in their prime and would form a long standing partnership. Instead Morgan is taking time to settle, Carrick is nearing the end and tbh BFS is not far off.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
He'd be a very good squad player for them, he wouldn't be a consistent starter. And that's why they were interested in him in the past. He'd fit in perfectly in their style.
Christ. You still believe the rumours that they wanted Ander? He wouldn't fit their style because he's not intelligent enough, he still hasn't learned when to slow the game down, when to hold back instead of pressing.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Can someone tell me what it is he actually does? He can pass, but not particularly well, he can sort of tackle, and he's sort of a headless chicken.

Is he literally just our Jordan Henderson? A 6/10 player who runs about a lot rather aimlessly as his best attribute? Because although he had good form for us last season at times, I don't see a future for a midfielder with his skillset at a top club.

ZDwyr

This isn't against Ander personally, because it isn't his fault, but why is there a section of the crowd that cheer everything he does? Even when he gets subbed off he gets this huge ovation - despite being very average all game.

Anyway, pretty meh performance. He's vastly overrated on here.

clarkydaz

This isn't against Ander personally, because it isn't his fault, but why is there a section of the crowd that cheer everything he does? Even when he gets subbed off he gets this huge ovation - despite being very average all game.

Anyway, pretty meh performance. He's vastly overrated on here.
last year he was one of our best players and had a bit of everything we needed in a midfielder. Tenacious, energetic and an eye for goal. This year it seems he just does the basics, admittedly poor at times but I guess fans feel he is a bit restricted

edit; maybe what the fans like about him is what LVG doesn't like

Sylar

so we have a player regressing from what he originally showed? hmmm
Kinda what I was thinking :lol: Another player who I dont know what their best position is because they are playing in different areas meaning average at everything but not great (specializing) in one thing.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
You know what pissed me off more then it should have? He should have taken Mane out on the half way line, taking a booking... its just what you do in that situation.

Last edited:

Acole9

Outstanding
He's a good player, when the change in management eventually comes he will thrive I'm sure of it.

Devil may care

I would have said Morgan, but Morgan has not been great, so maybe.
I think both are more careless on the ball than LvG likes but it depends on if he wants the extra attacking threat, away to Chelsea I think you might be right and he'll opt for the more defensive CM in Schneidelrin.

DomesticTadpole

I think both are more careless on the ball than LvG likes but it depends on if he wants the extra attacking threat, away to Chelsea I think you might be right and he'll opt for the more defensive CM in Schneidelrin.
That's my thinking. Ander is careless because he tries things, Morgan has just been careless or maybe more losing concentration.

Devil may care

That's my thinking. Ander is careless because he tries things, Morgan has just been careless or maybe more losing concentration.
We need both to step between now and the end of the season, our midfield relies too much on Carrick, who while still quality on the ball has very limited mobility now.

DomesticTadpole

We need both to step between now and the end of the season, our midfield relies too much on Carrick, who while still quality on the ball has very limited mobility now.
If we go on a good run of games I think the confidence will come to all the players. All the booing and negativity can't have helped their play. I just hope the game at Chelsea goes well for the team. Last couple of games there have been good signs. Even when we have been getting results the performances have still been off. Last two games have been refreshing.

Devil may care

If we go on a good run of games I think the confidence will come to all the players. All the booing and negativity can't have helped their play. I just hope the game at Chelsea goes well for the team. Last couple of games there have been good signs. Even when we have been getting results the performances have still been off. Last two games have been refreshing.
Yeah, we need to stop the trend of 1 step forward, 2 steps back, unfortunately it might still be too late IMO, neither Spurs or Leicester look like falling apart to me.

DomesticTadpole

Yeah, we need to stop the trend of 1 step forward, 2 steps back, unfortunately it might still be too late IMO, neither Spurs or Leicester look like falling apart to me.
We might catch Arsenal yet. I don't think anyone could anticipate how Leicester and Spurs would perform.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He needs to get his confidence back and get a feeling of freedom again. He showed in the past how good he can be, but lately, even today in the little bit of time he played, he just turns back and passes back. From taking too much risks on the ball to now playing it safe always. He has it in him, just needs to find the balance.

kidbob

For me it's about encouraging him to run forwards into space with the ball when the chance is available. He seems to have really taken this possession thing to heart. My memory of him at Bilbao is vague but I seem to recall that he is capable of 'attacking the space' much more than he's shown for us. He has the vision and execution to hurt teams but has to back teams off more on the ball which in theory should give him more chances to thread those passes through. Again like with the rest of the team the shackles just have to come off.

To be fair to him, Depay and Pereira they came on at a time when the team had decided the game was done. I'm still in support of the possession game when we are comfortable and seeing a game out, it comes in useful.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Didnt help that he had plenty of "easy" passes going wrong for him in a short time. Not sure where he could start if not in a 3 men midfield

JoaquinJoaquin

Seems to of really gone off the boil this season, he isn't even making basic passes. It is quite a concern, but hopefully next season if we get a new manager he will get a consistent run going.

DomesticTadpole

Ander needs to be unbrainwashed. Also it could be a little bit of second season syndrome. If he was bad last season I would be worried, but we know what we can do. He played really well against Everton, then LvG seemed to go back into his shell against City and Palace. Then he was good against Watford and god help us he got injured. It seems to have been a very stop start season tactically and physically for the lad. Other players seem to have a certain role, where he has been not necessarily moved around, more that LvG keeps changing the focus of his role and that cannot help.

prath92

Ander needs to be unbrainwashed. Also it could be a little bit of second season syndrome. If he was bad last season I would be worried, but we know what we can do. He played really well against Everton, then LvG seemed to go back into his shell against City and Palace. Then he was good against Watford and god help us he got injured. It seems to have been a very stop start season tactically and physically for the lad. Other players seem to have a certain role, where he has been not necessarily moved around, more that LvG keeps changing the focus of his role and that cannot help.
He has mostly been played as a CM or a CAM. It doesn't make sense that he can't put in even competent performances playing in roles he has often played. It's absurd to blame van gaal or Woodward or Fellaini or whoever for his struggles

DomesticTadpole

He has mostly been played as a CM or a CAM. It doesn't make sense that he can't put in even competent performances playing in roles he has often played. It's absurd to blame van gaal or Woodward or Fellaini or whoever for his struggles
I didn't mention Fellaini and I am not blaming LvG either. Just said he has had to adjust to one minute having to sit back a bit more and other times playing more attacking. You are reading too much into my post.

prath92

I didn't mention Fellaini and I am not blaming LvG either. Just said he has had to adjust to one minute having to sit back a bit more and other times playing more attacking. You are reading too much into my post.
It wasn't to you Admittedly. I only tagged you because you touched upon it a bit :p. People give excuse for his games

1. LvG doesn't like him.
2. How can he play well with Fellaini behind and Rooney ahead of him (of late, just Fellaini though)
3. He isn't a 10 (when he is played there)
4. He can't play in a midfield 2 (when he plays there)
5. We don't play 4-3-3 like last season
6. He is held back by LvG

I've read all these by a lot of posters.

DomesticTadpole

It wasn't to you Admittedly. I only tagged you because you touched upon it a bit :p. People give excuse for his games

1. LvG doesn't like him.
2. How can he play well with Fellaini behind and Rooney ahead of him (of late, just Fellaini though)
3. He isn't a 10 (when he is played there)
4. He can't play in a midfield 2 (when he plays there)
5. We don't play 4-3-3 like last season
6. He is held back by LvG

I've read all these by a lot of posters.
Ok.:)

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
hasn't been good lately but needed to come on today. We had no one that could keep hold of the ball and play a pass in those frantic moments. He's very good at that and his quick feet would have made a difference.

A pretty obvious sub I thought. LVG doesn't rate him. Perhaps wasn't even his signing.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I don't think LvG rates him, at all. Although, he was been poor of late, which could be due to the managers lack of trust. He tends to play a few, get dropped/injured, benched and the cycle restarts.

DomesticTadpole

hasn't been good lately but needed to come on today. We had no one that could keep hold of the ball and play a pass in those frantic moments. He's very good at that and his quick feet would have made a difference.

A pretty obvious sub I thought. LVG doesn't rate him. Perhaps wasn't even his signing.
I mentioned the fact that Ander was asked about Jose and gave an honest answer. LvG probably didn't like that. By the end of the season hopefully none of us will need to worry about LvG and his opinions.

DomesticTadpole

Will play soon a few games, then dropped again, play again, dropped again etc...
He will likely play on Thursday and Monday. I would have given him a runout last week with Memphis just to keep his legs moving. I worry when players are on the bench for ages, then are asked to play and promptly get injured.

izec

He will likely play on Thursday and Monday. I would have given him a runout last week with Memphis just to keep his legs moving. I worry when players are on the bench for ages, then are asked to play and promptly get injured.
You think? Louis isn't the master of squad management and rotation, wouldn't surprise me if he played the exact same team that ended the game today, unless someone comes back from injury. He runs the players to the ground until they get injured/lose form, then starts to change things up.

Reactions: Livvie
Status
Not open for further replies.