g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Ander Herrera image 21

Ander Herrera Spain flag

2015-16 Performances

View full 2015-16 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

pacifictheme

Bet you weren't saying that after the Liverpool game last year. He was bad today. Don't care we won.
Hes not good enough to start for us. Just another average player in an average squad.

EDIT: hes not good enough to start for a team who genuinely wants to win the league.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Surprisingly poor today. Big drop from his Newcastle performance. Still think he's our best number 10, even though I'd prefer him a bit deeper.

Brophs

The One and Only
Thought he was poor today. No amount of wild celebrations will change that. Too often he gives the ball away in areas where there's little to be gained and lots to be lost. All that said I'd play him every week and work from there.

Amir

I know, what the hell would he be thinking about writing at that moment?
GOAL!

I don't know. It's like those club representatives writing stuff down during european competition draws. "Write down we got Lyon, so we remember and don't get cheated afterwards by being given a tie against Barcelona".

Rick88

I am sorry to say but he's got LVG'd. Sometimes he did get the ball in the final third when he turned around and passed it back. Just look at the recent attempted through balls and compare them to last year. Yes, he has been poor lately but I'd also point fingers at the coaching staff and overall play.

Spock

I am sorry to say but he's got LVG'd. Sometimes he did get the ball in the final third when he turned around and passed it back. Just look at the recent attempted through balls and compare them to last year. Yes, he has been poor lately but I'd also point fingers at the coaching staff and overall play.
Agree with Rick on this point. Before LVG tightened the noose around everyone's neck Herrera was our best passer, by far, on the squad. He was even looking a bit Scholesy. But now you can see that he's been trained to pull the ball back into the safest pass possible instead of taking a chance with a risky cutting pass.

We all get why...LVG hates losing possession. And there's even some good reason for that. Our back line is built on egg shells -- Young at right back to start, Blind at CB and Darmian out at LB and Smalling is prone to mind-farts. All that save us from a potential blowout every week is De Gea and our possession game. And Ander is the kind of player who not run afoul of a manager's instructions. At least not after the beat down he took last season when his free flowing passing style only bought him a long benching.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He's been pretty shite recently. Big big fan of him, think we're a better team with him but I think it's obvious that he's a much better player in that role he played last season. As a no.10, he just doesn't have enough of a full package to pull the strings further forward.

Irrational.

Amazing he doesn't have crayons to colour a graph in.
With the amount he complicates the lineups and tactics, I'd hate to see how complicated his graphs are :lol:

I bet at school he was that one kid that brought a full on pencil case with compass, protractor and 13 different pens to a multiple choice exam.

Donut

Agree with Rick on this point. Before LVG tightened the noose around everyone's neck Herrera was our best passer, by far, on the squad. He was even looking a bit Scholesy. But now you can see that he's been trained to pull the ball back into the safest pass possible instead of taking a chance with a risky cutting pass.
:lol:

He never had the range in his passing. And he always had a tendency to give it away cheaply or needlessly.

Also, for all the talk about him being such a positive player, the amount of times when he's in acres of space and he just passes it straight back is quite amazing. The Spanish Cleverley is actually a good comparison.

I like the guy, but eventually his role should be that of a squad player.

dichinero

This

As we've seen, Herrera's best games are usually when he's reckless and care free. Stifling him in name of possession is killing Herrera. Risky play will mean he would lose possession a lot but that is fine if he plays his best. I remember last season when LvG came to say that he tried to talk Herrera out of closing his eyes when taking a shot at goal. What? He had just scored like 6 goals in limited playing time, most of them crackers. LvG is trying to process the hell out of this guy. He is still a brilliant player when he is unshackled.

mancan92

I don't see how anyone can blame herrera. He never got the ball in a good position. The two dms couldn't keep the ball for more than two seconds. Never a quick forward ball into him to play anyone in. It was ridiculous. What's a 10 supposed to do without the ball?

ZDwyr

He was pretty poor. We won so it doesn't really matter, if we had lost though he would have been one of the most criticised. Just didn't seem to do anything.

Bwuk

Still maintain that #10 isn't his position. Until Bastian/Carrick are fit I'd like to see him deeper next to Morgan.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
The issue everyone seem to ignore about Herrera is lack of tactical awareness. For a midfielder being able to operate within varying tempo should be key. The only time he seem to standout is when it an end to end display. LVG is right to coach the recklessness out of his game, name one top performing club that'll accept such displays.
I personally like him because tends to make the attack purposeful but as a midfielder he should have a better control of him game. Against Liverpool he gave he usual energetic display but was littered with errors that could have been costly and if we think LVG shouldn't frown on this then we are supporting the wrong club.

Baxter

The issue everyone seem to ignore about Herrera is lack of tactical awareness. For a midfielder being able to operate within varying tempo should be key. The only time he seem to standout is when it an end to end display. LVG is right to coach the recklessness out of his game, name one top performing club that'll accept such displays.
I personally like him because tends to make the attack purposeful but as a midfielder he should have a better control of him game. Against Liverpool he gave he usual energetic display but was littered with errors that could have been costly and if we think LVG shouldn't frown on this then we are supporting the wrong club.
It's weird because having learned under Bielsa you'd expect him to be more intelligent, off the ball especially.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
It's weird because having learned under Bielsa you'd expect him to be more intelligent, off the ball especially.
Bielsa seems to play high intensity football as far I can remember and that suited him. It's beautiful to watch but when competing at the top end of the table variation is necessary because your prime responsibility is not to suffocate the opponent but impose yourself.
Then again most fans prefer United setting up to suffocate.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Am I the only one who things it would serve him well to bulk up a bit? He looks so lightweight compared to other central midfielders.

Varun

Staff
With the amount he complicates the lineups and tactics, I'd hate to see how complicated his graphs are :lol:

I bet at school he was that one kid that brought a full on pencil case with compass, protractor and 13 different pens to a multiple choice exam.
:lol:

starman

Hes been at his best when he is linking up with Mata.

Would really like to see a midfield with him and Mata with Schneiderlin just sitting and play proper wingers

Last edited:

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Am I the only one who things it would serve him well to bulk up a bit? He looks so lightweight compared to other central midfielders.
Don't think that's really a problem, we're not playing him at central midfield often anyway. I don't know into what type of player he'll eventually develop but right now the main attributes which make him special are his agility and his acceleration combined with his aggressiveness and the tendency he has to press high, close down the first attacker and regain possession. It would be a gamble to send him to the gym because if he gains muscle weight, he might lose all of that. And he doesn't seem to me like a ball carrier or good at organizing plays from a deeper role like Schweinsteiger was when LvG tried him in a deeper role at Bayern. I'd rather focus on his positioning and his off the ball movement in the attacking half.

Man Utd 0:1 Southampton

dirkey

Rubbish first half. For me, he's the new Kagawa on here, people think he's phenomenal for some reason I can't fathom. Has his moments at times, but maddeningly inconsistent. Any one of that midfield trio ... actually scratch that, basically anyone on the park could be replaced.

the hea

He is starting to look more and more like Mata, some quality moments here and there but for 95% of the time he has no influence on the game.

acnumber9

He can't play behind a striker. He's not creative enough and doesn't score enough goals. He's a fecking midfielder.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Rubbish first half. For me, he's the new Kagawa on here, people think he's phenomenal for some reason I can't fathom. Has his moments at times, but maddeningly inconsistent. Any one of that midfield trio ... actually scratch that, basically anyone on the park could be replaced.
Why are people repeating this?

Where did you read anyone calling him phenomenal, especially judging his performances this season?

Even his biggest fans admit he is really poor this season.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Needs Juan in the team to link up with. Simply put, no other players in our squad offer him the same combination passes and build up play. He's suffering without Mata.

Status
Not open for further replies.