Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I thought Memphis was still one of our better players. No idea why Schweinsteiger was subbed either, another questionable substitution for me. I think the subs helped the opposition more than they helped us actually.

The point about the team going to shit is why I thought Pereira sub was a strange one. I don't think he's going to make a difference to that team at that time. I'm not blaming Pereira for anything, I'm blaming the manager! ;)
I thought Memphis had a terrible game if I'm honest, so I don't share the same opinion with you on that and I was happy to see him subbed.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Why with Memphis is always polemic?

JoaquinJoaquin

I thought Memphis was still one of our better players. No idea why Schweinsteiger was subbed either, another questionable substitution for me. I think the subs helped the opposition more than they helped us actually.

The point about the team going to shit is why I thought Pereira sub was a strange one. I don't think he's going to make a difference to that team at that time. I'm not blaming Pereira for anything, I'm blaming the manager! ;)
Memphis was terrible IMO.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You're probably right about van Gaal being pissed off, but he will hopefully take some responsibility for throwing Pereira into a game he wasn't ready for. Fellaini would have been a better option in that situation.

At least he's giving the lad chances and showed a lot of trust to bring him on under those circumstances.
Exactly.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Coming on at a difficult time when the team was on the defensive. Unfair to judge him on this performance.

ChaddyP

Kudos to lvg.... Had some balls to bring on the kid at that particular time. Much needed experience that for andreas

ChaddyP

I thought it was borderline stupidity in an important game like that to bring him on. Wasn't the time to give him much needed experience, we needed someone who already had the experience!
Who else would have came on for a very tired Memphis. I don’t think it was stupid. I respect that he gives these kids a chance. Especially in this kind of manner. Gives them such a boost of confidence I think

Shimo

LVG shows he rates him by putting him in a difficult period. Wolfsburg were going to hunt for a goal which meant he had to be ready on the defensive end but, also brought on to exploit the space they would likely leave. I think he was found wanting a little on both sides and no shame in that, there will be other games that's for sure and needs to be ready for the next one.

NecssryEvil

Why with Memphis is always polemic?
Damn fine question, wish I knew where this came from. I was in the Memphis thread earlier today and you would think he went on a rampage and killed several fans family members. I came over here expecting the same lashing out on Pereira only to find that it was everyone else's fault he didn't play well.

I think he did alright given the situation he was put in and am thrilled LVG made the call to put him on. I thought Wolfsburg targeted him (or at least that side) immediately, had a little success but he fought through it and eventually they gave up and tried AY to see what they could do there. I am sure the kid was shitting his pants and was more worried about making a mistake that cost the team a win than really focusing on trying to do something when on the ball. Just like Memphis, the more he is put in these situations the more it will help him grow as a player.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Damn fine question, wish I knew where this came from. I was in the Memphis thread earlier today and you would think he went on a rampage and killed several fans family members. I came over here expecting the same lashing out on Pereira only to find that it was everyone else's fault he didn't play well.

I think he did alright given the situation he was put in and am thrilled LVG made the call to put him on. I thought Wolfsburg targeted him (or at least that side) immediately, had a little success but he fought through it and eventually they gave up and tried AY to see what they could do there. I am sure the kid was shitting his pants and was more worried about making a mistake that cost the team a win than really focusing on trying to do something when on the ball. Just like Memphis, the more he is put in these situations the more it will help him grow as a player.
Cpuld it be that when we first signed him so many in the transfer thread were acting like we had signed the next Messi?. From that we end up with some sort of backlash?.

NecssryEvil

Cpuld it be that when we first signed him so many in the transfer thread were acting like we had signed the next Messi?. From that we end up with some sort of backlash?.
Well, I guess if the expectations were that he would come in and be our Messi then I can see where people come up with seeing him as, as one poster put it, a "clumsy brain dead cnut". Not sure that I feel that is fair to Memphis though, or any young player for that matter.

I think both Memphis and Pereira are going to be integral parts of this team for a long time but it's going to take some time/experiences to get there. And I hate to keep saying this because I feel like I might be alone with the thought, but the entire team is still getting their chops down, learning what the manager expects of them, learning what each other likes to do/not do and are showing glimpses of putting things together. But to expect to throw a bunch of guys on the pitch and have them perform flawlessly is unrealistic and to point at any one player and say they are the one that are holding things back is a bit rash imo.

Bloxy

Why does it always rain on me?

I'm bemused at this too. Some on here expecting instant success from all our players, and to be fair those who are on £250k/week and have years of experience playing at a top level I agree with, but knocking the kids? Does anybody remember how bad Ronaldo was in the first few months with us, and allot of people were calling for him to be dropped too, but SAF stuck with him.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Yep. A pity he wasn't on the bench. Could have been a straight swap for Depay.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Van Gaal has just said Lingard is competition for Mata on the right. Andreas is more of a #10 (well, a #8, really) who when played has featured on the left.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Which was his best role for the youth teams.
You can see why, his range of pass is great and he is really nimble on the ball. Reminds me a bit of Cazorla actually, who is very two footed.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Only player that has turned up, we should give him more chances.

NoPace

Can we all agree he's been our best player so far?
Blind edged him out. Marked really well apart from the one Kike chip attempt and damn near set up a goal with that long ball to Fellaini.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
All I want is to see him together with Herrera on the pitch sometime. It's not much, is it?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Lingard has been on a similar level and Smalling has been as solid as ever.
Lingard has been OK, not the most difficult game for our r defenders, Smalling hasn't done anything extraordinary. Poor game overall tbh.

FromTheBench

Definitely among our better players. Tracked back and did well on the left too.

Only one to score a penalty as well. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.