Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
You can continue to molly cuddle him, that's exactly what he needs. He's a world class player, and in days like this, his quality is supposed to drive the team. he's supposed to be taking on his man, but what does he do, just gets the ball, stands there and put in aimless cross after cross. That's not the standard I expect from a world class winger, thanks.
He has found himself out of the team for exactly this. He's obviously cut down on his dribbling as he want's to play sideways, more often; that's one of the reasons Young and Mata have started over him as they don't take as many risks as him.

As with the last part, we were 1-0 up against Pool, 1-0 up against Villa and he provided the assists for the winning goals, after coming on. He came on when we were 4-1 up against City, 1-0 down to Chelsea and 2-0 down to Everton. What did you expect him to do? No one else could break through Chelsea and Everton, but hey di Maria should because we spent £60m, right? Who cares if he hasn't started since the beginning of April, he should be able to tear through the league leaders and against the team who dominated us with 35% of the ball.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
For 60 odd minutes, we created feck all, I can't even remember a single clear cut opportunity, so I'd rather see someone attempt to create something rather than passing sideways, as we did all game. He also put in a couple of dangerous crosses to the back post.

As with the 40 yard shots, some of these led to assists earlier on in the season, so it's worth the punt.

I'm not sure how you can judge di Maria based on these cameos, as, in his last start, he was one of the best players on the pitch till his sending off. Today, he came on when were 2-0 down and was instructed to create, he tried and failed. With regards to his stupid decisions, well that's just a ridiculous statement, as it seems like the entire team made some very stupid decisions, given we lost 3-0.
What a load of rubbish. You earn your place in the team, we've pissed around trying to shoehorn supposed world class players into the team and it's cost us this year. You get dropped, you get cameos to prove the manager wrong, you prove the manager wrong and you get your spot back. For a £60m player that should be easy. Stop making excuses for him. His poor individual standard of play is not completely reliant on the rest of the team.

Di Maria's angel

It depends on which Di Maria we are getting, the one against QPR earlier in the season or the one that gives the ball away 95% of the time then produces only one moment of magic, i really want him to play... but, we cant afford to sacrifice our next 4 matches to help Di Maria find his golden boots again, he might average an assist a game - but what good would that do in a game where we concede 3 goals?

He should start against West Brom though.
What have the players, from the Chelsea and Everton game, done to warrant starts for the next game? We can't drop them all, but there are players, on the bench, who could offer more than them and we're not going to find out by leaving them on the bench. When did we concede three goals with di Maria on the pitch, where he was responsible for the goals?

I agree with the last part, it's about time we let him start as Young and Mata, haven't been good enough, lately.

Roman Bellic

Prick
What have the players, from the Chelsea and Everton game, done to warrant starts for the next game? We can't drop them all, but there are players, on the bench, who could offer more than them and we're not going to find out by leaving them on the bench. When did we concede three goals with di Maria on the pitch, where he was responsible for the goals?

I agree with the last part, it's about time we let him start as Young and Mata, haven't been good enough, lately.
Players like?

Di Maria's angel

What a load of rubbish. You earn your place in the team, we've pissed around trying to shoehorn supposed world class players into the team and it's cost us this year. You get dropped, you get cameos to prove the manager wrong, you prove the manager wrong and you get your spot back. For a £60m player that should be easy. Stop making excuses for him. His poor individual standard of play is not completely reliant on the rest of the team.
One man doesn't make a team. He can only be as good as the rest of the team.

Like I said, what did you expect him to achieve when he came on, today? Or against Chelsea? I expected feck all. We were outplayed by both.

Which players have proved themselves over the last two games?

legball

He has found himself out of the team for exactly this. He's obviously cut down on his dribbling as he want's to play sideways, more often; that's one of the reasons Young and Mata have started over him as they don't take as many risks as him.

As with the last part, we were 1-0 up against Pool, 1-0 up against Villa and he provided the assists for the winning goals, after coming on. He came on when we were 4-1 up against City, 1-0 down to Chelsea and 2-0 down to Everton. What did you expect him to do? No one else could break through Chelsea and Everton, but hey di Maria should because we spent £60m, right? Who cares if he hasn't started since the beginning of April, he should be able to tear through the league leaders and against the team who dominated us with 35% of the ball.
What a load of absolute tosh. You need to start watching football my friend, he was taken out of the team because he stupidly got himself sent off and in that time, Young came in and did very well, Young has been taken on his man very often except in the last 2 games, where his limitations showed. And no, Di Maria should not win the game single handedly, but like Hazard and Sanchez and all top attackers, he should be doing more than just crossing the ball aimlessly. The fact he hasn't started games should make him more determined to make things happen, that's how big players respond to adversity, he's world class, better than Young SO he has to start showing it.

Roman Bellic

Prick
Januzaj, di Maria and van Persie for Mata, Young and Rooney would be the changes I'd make.
Januzaj has been useless all season.
Di Maria averages a magic moment a game.
RVP has been out for a while and has struggled a lot this season.

Mata has been superb this season, aren't players meant to have bad games?
Young has been our best utility player this season, he usually doesn't perform in games where the team is crap.
Rooney brings more to the table than any other attacking player.

legball

I don't know what's worse, top players playing like amateurs or fans that go out of their way to make excuses for them.

LR7

He should have come on for Fellaini instead of Falcao. Fellaini was playing high and contributing little defensively anyway.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
One man doesn't make a team. He can only be as good as the rest of the team.

Like I said, what did you expect him to achieve when he came on, today? Or against Chelsea? I expected feck all. We were outplayed by both.

Which players have proved themselves over the last two games?
Smalling and Shaw have played well, as well as Herrera at times. None of these players cost £60m. The logic that one player should be absolved from criticism in light of a poor team display is silly. He came on against a team that had sitting back for 70 mins and played like he hadn't watched any of these prior 70 mins showing no willingness to draw a man to press and create space for his teammates and whipping crosses into the back post for Young even though the tactic is completely pointless with Fellaini off the pitch.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He's still by far the most creative player in the team.

Di Maria's angel

What a load of absolute tosh. You need to start watching football my friend, he was taken out of the team because he stupidly got himself sent off and in that time, Young came in and did very well, Young has been taken on his man very often except in the last 2 games, where his limitations showed. And no, Di Maria should not win the game single handedly, but like Hazard and Sanchez and all top attackers, he should be doing more than just crossing the ball aimlessly. The fact he hasn't started games should make him more determined to make things happen, that's how big players respond to adversity, he's world class, better than Young SO he has to start showing it.
You need to read what I posted. I know he was taken out of the team for his sending off, however, he's been unable to get back as he doesn't fit in with the "philosophy" i.e. he takes more risks than he should. Young came in and did decent, he's put in plenty of aimless balls hence why he's bagged as many assists as di Maria has. As with the comparisons to Hazard and Sanchez, they both started in teams better than us and have actually played without interruptions.

Di Maria's angel

Smalling and Shaw have played well, as well as Herrera at times. None of these players cost £60m. The logic that one player should be absolved from criticism in light of a poor team display is silly. He came on against a team that had sitting back for 70 mins and played like he hadn't watched any of these prior 70 mins showing no willingness to draw a man to press and create space for his teammates and whipping crosses into the back post for Young even though the tactic is completely pointless with Fellaini off the pitch.
Criticising a player based on these cameos is utterly pointless, especially if were losing and playing like crap.

Trying to make space against a team camping in their own half is quite hard, as we've illustrated on countless occasions, all season.

legball

You need to read what I posted. I know he was taken out of the team for his sending off, however, he's been unable to get back as he doesn't fit in with the "philosophy" i.e. he takes more risks than he should. Young came in and did decent, he's put in plenty of aimless balls hence why he's bagged as many assists as di Maria has. As with the comparisons to Hazard and Sanchez, they both started in teams better than us and have actually played without interruptions.
I like this, it's everything and everyone else fault that Di Maria isn't playing well now. I tell you what, like Finidi, Overmars, Ribery and Robben, Di Maria fits into this style, I can't remember any of those wingers playing it safe. He's a world class player who is hiding, he's not showing it.

finneh

We had a system that seemed to be working, so accommodating Di Maria wasn't a priority.
Agreed and I wouldn't have played him vs Liverpool, City or Chelsea. However for the next 4 games (and today imo) it makes sense for him to play his way out of this poor patch. The last thing we need is him going off on his Summer break rock bottom confidence wise and unsure of how he fits in to the team/system.

United22

Completely low on confidence, a problem we have had with every damn winger since Ronaldo left... We have to do something to get him back into form

ivaldo

Yes, but he doesn't offer this creativity in 80% of his plays.....probably even more.
That'll return when he gets consistent football, in games like today and Everton flair players like that are crucial, he's been playing poorly but he's still creating far more than anyone else.

Roman Bellic

Prick
Agreed and I wouldn't have played him vs Liverpool, City or Chelsea. However for the next 4 games (and today imo) it makes sense for him to play his way out of this poor patch. The last thing we need is him going off on his Summer break rock bottom confidence wise and unsure of how he fits in to the team/system.
You might be right, but i think our top 4 ambitions are more important than Di Maria finding his feet (right now), if he's average in the next 4 matches and we get killed we might end up 5th.....longshot? perhaps, i think the smart to do would be to start him against West Brom and gauge him from there - might be harsh but if he doesn't deliver in his next 2 games then he shouldn't start for the remainder of the season.

Di Maria's angel

I like this, it's everything and everyone else fault that Di Maria isn't playing well now. I tell you what, like Finidi, Overmars, Ribery and Robben, Di Maria fits into this style, I can't remember any of those wingers playing it safe. He's a world class player who is hiding, he's not showing it.
I'm not insinuating that. He rightfully spent time on the bench and had to learn how to be more conservative and play to the style. He seems to be demonstrating that, in recent cameos and, given the lack of creativity we're still witnessing, it's about time we changed things.

Roman Bellic

Prick
That'll return when he gets consistent football, in games like today and Everton flair players like that are crucial, he's been playing poorly but he's still creating far more than anyone else.
we cant afford to waste the remaining 4 games to help Di Maria find his feet just in time for Copa America - if he starts then he'll always have the ball on his feet as our go-to-guy, and if he doesn't deliver then we'll find ourselves in a terrible situation without a legitimate impact sub.

Hope he starts against West Brom though.

Di Maria's angel

Januzaj has been useless all season.
Di Maria averages a magic moment a game.
RVP has been out for a while and has struggled a lot this season.

Mata has been superb this season, aren't players meant to have bad games?
Young has been our best utility player this season, he usually doesn't perform in games where the team is crap.
Rooney brings more to the table than any other attacking player.
Januzaj has hardly played all season.
di Maria has been somewhat inconsistent, however, this has been over stated since his sending off. He was one our better performers for most of the games up until the sending off.
RvP has struggled, but so have the rest of our forwards.

Mata hasn't been brilliant, he's been inconsistent, too.
Young is a better LWB than he is LW, where he creates very little.
Rooney has been below par for the last few games.

ivaldo

we cant afford to waste the remaining 4 games to help Di Maria find his feet just in time for Copa America - if he starts then he'll always have the ball on his feet as our go-to-guy, and if he doesn't deliver then we'll find ourselves in a terrible situation without a legitimate impact sub.

Hope he starts against West Brom though.
Its a tough one to balance I'll grant you. Hopefully by next season the pressure for him to deliver will be off slightly and he can recapture some of that form we saw at the beginning of this season.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
It's verging on sad watching him now. Where is that guy who ran rings around Atleti in last seasons CL final?

Roman Bellic

Prick
Januzaj has hardly played all season.
di Maria has been somewhat inconsistent, however, this has been over stated since his sending off. He was one our better performers for most of the games up until the sending off.
RvP has struggled, but so have the rest of our forwards.

Mata hasn't been brilliant, he's been inconsistent, too.
Young is a better LWB than he is LW, where he creates very little.
Rooney has been below par for the last few games.
Januzaj has hardly played because he has done feck all with his time on the pitch, he shouldn't even be on this list
Di Maria was average before the sending off and even worse afterwards, his stats and his title as the "most creative player on the team" have blinded a lot of people.
RVP offers more to the team than Falcao but not more than Rooney which is why he currently #2 in the pecking order.

Mata has been brilliant, inconsistent ? yes, but he still has more MOTM performances than you know who.
Young has had more defensive duties than any other attacking player in the team, you cant expect him to create chances and still expect him to perform well defensively, people are judging Young as an attacker and overlooking his role as a defensive player this season.
Rooney has been below par, but he still offers more, unless RVP becomes RVP again.

Roman Bellic

Prick
Its a tough one to balance I'll grant you. Hopefully by next season the pressure for him to deliver will be off slightly and he can recapture some of that form we saw at the beginning of this season.
I actually fear for him next season, expectations will more than double with CL football returning and the "New league,New team,debut season" excuse being thrown out the window, he might be playing for his United career next season, hopefully we sign other players to take the pressure of him though.

Di Maria's angel

Januzaj has hardly played because he has done feck all with his time on the pitch, he shouldn't even be on this list
Di Maria was average before the sending off and even worse afterwards, his stats and his title as the "most creative player on the team" have blinded a lot of people.
RVP offers more to the team than Falcao but not more than Rooney which is why he currently #2 in the pecking order.

Mata has been brilliant, inconsistent ? yes, but he still has more MOTM performances than you know who.
Young has had more defensive duties than any other attacking player in the team, you cant expect him to create chances and still expect him to perform well defensively, people are judging Young as an attacker and overlooking his role as a defensive player this season.
Rooney has been below par, but he still offers more, unless RVP becomes RVP again.
We can keep going around in circles, however, we won't agree. Although, that's the point in forums, so I guess we could...

The question is are our players integral to the system or is the system integral to our players? That's what I'm curious to find out, if it's the former, which I don't think it is, then we should continue as we have. If it's the latter, then we should give the likes of di Maria, Januzaj and RvP a chance to shine, as starters, whilst we're playing well. The players I named haven't had the chance to start during the period in which we clicked and starting playing more like a team, and given that the likes of Young, Mata etc. seem to be out of gas, which has seen us lose to Chelsea and get embarrassed by Everton, it's the right time to change things.

Roman Bellic

Prick
We can keep going around in circles, however, we won't agree. Although, that's the point in forums, so I guess we could...

The question is are our players integral to the system or is the system integral to our players? That's what I'm curious to find out, if it's the former, which I don't think it is, then we should continue as we have. If it's the latter, then we should give the likes of di Maria, Januzaj and RvP a chance to shine, as starters, whilst we're playing well. The players I named haven't had the chance to start during the period in which we clicked and starting playing more like a team, and given that the likes of Young, Mata etc. seem to be out of gas, which has seen us lose to Chelsea and get embarrassed by Everton, it's the right time to change things.
Change is good, but change for change's sake doesn't always mean progress, Januzaj has done nothing to deserve a place in the team... you mentioned his lack of playing time which i understand but with 7 starts in 17 appearances he has failed to do anything useful on the pitch - i really cant see us benching anyone for Januzaj.

RVP and Di Maria have earned (not by their recent performances, but reputation and the state of the current team) their opportunity to start, i'll give you that, but if they can only manage to produce average performances against West Brom then we'd be better off sticking with the system that saw off Spurs,Pool and City, Di Maria should be prioritised over RVP in my opinion as he is the WC player and the best player on the team.

Mata doesn't seem to know how to consistently maintain his form, which is part of the reason why he was sold in the first place, i think Di Maria should replace him against West Brom.

Di Maria's angel

Change is good, but change for change's sake doesn't always mean progress, Januzaj has done nothing to deserve a place in the team... you mentioned his lack of playing time which i understand but with 7 starts in 17 appearances he has failed to do anything useful on the pitch - i really cant see us benching anyone for Januzaj.

RVP and Di Maria have earned (not by their recent performances, but reputation and the state of the current team) their opportunity to start, i'll give you that, but if they can only manage to produce average performances against West Brom then we'd be better off sticking with the system that saw off Spurs,Pool and City, Di Maria should be prioritised over RVP in my opinion as he is the WC player and the best player on the team.

Mata doesn't seem to know how to consistently maintain his form, which is part of the reason why he was sold in the first place, i think Di Maria should replace him against West Brom.
It's not really changing for the sake as Young, Mata and Rooney (longer than the previous two) have "stepped of the gas", in recent games. We have other capable players on the bench who can utilised to see if they can perform better, as there's no reason why they can't.

I think you're being hyper critical of Januzaj, he's barely had a run of games to be able to perform well and our current eleven have shown what consistency and confidence can do. If van Gaal shows faith in di Maria and Januzaj, it could do a world of good for both; and given that we play WBA at home, there's no better opportunity to make a few changes.

C'est Moi Cantona

Couldn't we just drop Fellaini to the bench and play Di Maria next to Herrera with Mata on the pitch at the same time, preferably with Carrick in behind, and Blind at LB, yes Fellaini has his uses but surely this is worth try.

Plus Di Maria is clearly not an impact sub, Fellaini might be.

jem

Januzaj, di Maria and van Persie for Mata, Young and Rooney would be the changes I'd make.
In what world does replacing Mata with Januzaj make sense? I like Januzaj and still believe he has a bright future, but he's offered next to nothing this season. I think it would make more sense to send him out on loan next season.

Di Maria's angel

In what world does replacing Mata with Januzaj make sense? I like Januzaj and still believe he has a bright future, but he's offered next to nothing this season. I think it would make more sense to send him out on loan next season.
Of course he hasn't, he hasn't been able to string a couple of games together. And Mata has been off the boil in his last two games and may need a rest, Young too.

Sam

Jesus Christ what was that today? Is he trying to play as badly as possible in order to get sold?

Last edited:

jem

Of course he hasn't, he hasn't been able to string a couple of games together. And Mata has been off the boil in his last two games and may need a rest, Young too.
I agree Mata may need a rest, but if that's the case, I'd like to see Di Maria in for him, not Januzaj, who, even when has gotten a run of games this season, has been close to useless.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

We need to build the team around him next year and play him in the CM position he excelled in last year, i mean if that wasn't the plan all along you really have to question why we bought him.

No he won't be scoring 20 or even 10 goals a season, but he is so unpredictable with his dribbling, passing, and creativity.

The pass he made for Falcao today was a glimpse of what he has done alot of times for Madrid. Wouldn't like to see us buying a player for 60m and then just flock him with a huge loss, that would make the whole club look stupid.

Bwuk

We've just messed him around lately. Hes got zero confidence at the moment.

Di Maria is so much more talented than half the players in our side.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Certainly needs to start next game, Mata and Young have hardly been sparkling in the last two games.

Status
Not open for further replies.