Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

drdoityourself

The only opportunity we created after he came on was his fantastic ball over the defence for Falcao. He creates and he has pace. When we have Mata, Fellaini, Rooney and Young as front four, it's far too ponderous and slow to ever work for an extended period of time.

ThanksBoss26

He was poor when he came on, in keeping with the rest of them.

That said, I think it might be time to put him back in next week.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Bit surprised by the reactions. Di Maria's style of play has always been predicated on his propensity for risk taking, sometimes the gamble pays off sometimes it doesn't. That's part of his footballing makeup and I'm sure the club knew that when we bought him. That innate unpredictability (eg. the pass to Mata vs Liverpool that very few are able to execute) is what makes him such a dangerous proposition.

He's one of those players who is capable of turning a match on its head with one moment of brilliance. One of the biggest problems he's having right now though is his lack of chemistry and familiarity with some of the other players, it happened even at Madrid in his first season. But with time, the other players will learn his tendencies and once they get on the same wavelength we'll see the best of Di Maria. He just needs to get into his groove.

saivet

I wanted him to come on earlier. But whenever he plays, he seems a bit of a nothing player of late. Few decent ball among a lot of sloppiness.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He's been a bit of a disastrous signing.

Looked completely bereft of confidence again today.

We could have done a lot of other things with £60m.

Woodenlung

Doesn't dribble enough anymore imo. As soon as he gets the ball he looks for the pass. Can't help but feel he's discouraged to do it.

Hed Zitin

Honestly I knew he was inconstant at Real, but Jesus he is just as bad as Nani. Nani however can at least beat a guy a few times a game.

Bojan11

Why didn't we just replace put him on for Fellaini? And play him in his best position.

izec

He doesnt suit our style. Sell him as long as we get moeny for him. If he cant take risks and dribbler, whats the point in having him to cross it all the time and shoot from 30 yards.

Infra-red

He doesn't want to be here, that much is clear. Van Gaal doesn't seem impressed with him either. Suppose it will come down to how much Woodward wants to keep hold of him this summer.

Roboc7

It's crazy we paid so much money for him, serious consideration needs to be given as to whether or not we should keep him, he is a 25-30m player, never going to live up to the ridiculous price tag and he is always going to be erratic because that is how he plays.

He is never to be a world class winger and score 15 plus goals a season, if he plays in midfield he is better but he is going to be hit and miss, he was a panic buy but we need to make a decision about whether or not we stick and accept he will be hit and miss or move him on.

kundalini

He's been a bit of a disastrous signing.

Looked completely bereft of confidence again today.

We could have done a lot of other things with £60m.
Agree, especially when we already had Nani and Januzaj to perform the greedy, talented but erratic creative role.

Right now it looks like he would rather be elsewhere.

Brophs

The One and Only
I'm genuinely curious, where has he gotten the idea that he's good at long range shooting? Other than the first few weeks, where misplaced shots turned into assists, he just seems to really want to damage the defender's legs.

Woodenlung

Despite all this he still played probably the only pass in behind the Everton centre halves that was slightly too high for Falcao. That was more imaginative than certain players had shown in 90 minutes.
Agreed. He has one moment of quality every game no matter how poorly he plays otherwise. Still think he has a future here. He does things none of our other players can do.

m1y2

why is he trusted to be better from the wing, his best season came from midfield and we keep thinking that he should play on flanks, feck with balance put him in midfield, his best games came from there. This is being positive.

He's absolute shit signing..

if only the fee wasn't as big as his ears..

Litch

People call Falcao but I'm sorry, he's been absolutely shocking. Offered nothing and Young is keeping him out. At least we can give Falcao back and it only cost us his wages....

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Problem is that his pace isn't really useful against teams that sit deep and are organised defensively.

I think with hindsight it is one of those where he looks a better player in La Liga, where most teams go out and attack and try to play good football. In England, against teams who are happy to park the bus, play deep and are defensively organised, Di Maria doesn't look like he has the tools to create anything.

I think he has to play a deeper role in central midfield instead of Herrera or Fellaini, where he can maybe be the "extra man" bursting in to attacking positions and utilising his pace. He isn't a creator however.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I still expect him to come good. It's odd for a player to start so well at a new club, but to then to drop off as quickly as he has.

Next season...

Godfather

Despite all this he still played probably the only pass in behind the Everton centre halves that was slightly too high for Falcao. That was more imaginative than certain players had shown in 90 minutes.
Pretty much. All good and well holding on to the ball when the final ball is completely lacking. He was the only one providing that.

Steven Seagull

His long range efforts have been pants but it's less infuriating than playing 132 consecutive sideways passes. He might not be the kind of player that's perfect for LVG's dream football but you'd have to question why he's only realising it now.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Doesn't dribble enough anymore imo. As soon as he gets the ball he looks for the pass. Can't help but feel he's discouraged to do it.
I was going to post just this. Weirdly he has far too many dreadful long shots, when he should be driving at the opposition with the ball.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I'm genuinely curious, where has he gotten the idea that he's good at long range shooting? Other than the first few weeks, where misplaced shots turned into assists, he just seems to really want to damage the defender's legs.
I think it stems from frustration. He's not getting played enough so when he does come on he's trying to do everything himself.

Kag

An irritating cameo. That said, he still created a good chance for Falcao. He's good for creating at least one or two genuine opportunities in a match, but then I always liked that about Nani. Some people didn't appreciate it as much.

I'd give him a start next weekend.

Devil may care

Offered very little injection of urgency into our play, I don't know if he's been told not to dribble or is simply too scared to but without that aspect in his play he doesn't pose much of a threat.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Needs to get back in the starting 11.. Young just doesn't do enough going forward. He wasn't great but still made a great chance with a nice ball that nobody else would have picked out, and he's not going to get confidence back off the bench.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I thought he had three terrible crosses, and 3 good ones including one awesome passs to Falcao. Don't understand the blanket criticism, it's not as though any other attackers were pulling up trees either.

Varun

Staff
His confidence is shot. A confident Di Maria wouldnt hesitate to take his man on.

Status
Not open for further replies.