Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walters_19_MuFc

Mata had a run of games when he was poor, and so has Shaw. The whole team was pretty poor up until about a month ago tbh.
Di Maria hasn't been fecking awful all season, he had a poor run of games, yes granted, quite a few players have this season.
He has actually done well to ok in his recent cameos too.
Like I said before, I think its right Young has been keeping his place in the team, I don't have an issue with that.
First point is invalid then.

Didn't say he was

He actually hasn't.

Correct.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Most. I don't have the time or energy to go through your posts.
Ok Sultan. You keep banging the Di Maria drum and let's pick up this conversation this time next season.... If LVG doesn't get shut in the summer.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
That is very much overplayed, mostly he thinks its a foul so he goes down. He needs to get used to the physicality of the league, what is deemed a foul or not, rather than bulking up. Chalk it down to experience, people were spouting that same stuff about Herrera earlier in the season.
It takes most players a couple of months he's still doing it now. Herrera is a good example, sorted that now.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
To me he's better in midfield and next season Nani would be better in wide areas. His best contributions this season have been with his creative passing.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Some dodgy back passes, not helped out much by a tiring Shaw and an unwilling Blackett but was still putting creative balls about going forward. Covered well defensively at times too.

Telling that Falcao's better moments came when he was on the pitch too - partly due to his vision and ability to deliver balls through and over an opposition defence.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
He was poor today. He struggled to beat players, which is his bread and butter. Things got even worst when Blackett came on. He's been below par this season, comparing him to the player i saw at Real last year, I'm baffled.

Bwuk

People who want him sold are clueless. He plays with his head up and is always trying to create. Doesn't shy away from responsibility, and gets goals/assists. He needs game time, not this 10-15 minute malarky.

If Ashley Young had the goals/assist Di Maria has this season this place would be wanking itself silly saying he's one of the best players in the league.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That we can agree on because based on his previous attributes he certainly doesn't want to be here.
What does that even mean? Previous attributes? His attributes have changed? Am I stuck in my demon souls play through?

Cmz'

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/angel-di-maria-tells-manchester-5544773

Angel Di Maria has told boss Louis van Gaal he is happy to stay at Manchester Unitednext term, writes Steve Bates in the Sunday People .

The £59.7million British record signing is in discussions about extending the lease on the city centre apartment he is renting.

Argentinian Di Maria was badly shaken in February, after his family were victims of an attempted gunpoint burglary at their £4m rented mansion in the Cheshire village of Prestbury, close to where skipper Wayne Rooney and several other Old Trafford stars live.

Di Maria was at home having dinner with his wife Jorgelina and daughter Mia, now two, when the armed thugs tried to break in.

The South American, signed from Real Madrid last summer, held discussions with Van Gaal and senior club officials after the incident amid fears he wanted to quit England

Van Gaal recently refused to rule out allowing Di Maria to leave on compassionate grounds – but the star has told the club he is staying, despite only being a sub in yesterday’s title showdown with Chelsea.

The 27-year-old winger and his family have now settled into an apartment in central Manchester and are over their ordeal.

Di Maria has told friends it has been the toughest year of his career after also struggling with the physical demands and intensity of the Premier League.

The attacker has not scored a league goal since October 5, and his misery was compounded when he was sent off for pushing referee Michael Oliver in the 2-1 FA Cup defeat by Arsenal last month.

But despite being dropped Van Gaal has been impressed with his attitude, and is confident he will play a major role next season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Ivanovic closed him down well when he came on, couldn't have much of an impact because every time he got the ball he was relatively deep. Di Maria tries to hard to dribble through players I think, he has the ability to go past them but once they square up to him on the wing and he slows it down, it's very easy to stop him from going past you.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Difference is in I've been watching 30 plus years. Di Maria should not be given another year. Mark this post if you like.
It just seems like his heart isn't with United, isn't it? We still have 6 (?) games left this season. I hope his game is improving, and we can see that he 'clicks' in this new LvG United.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Form is temporary. I think some players just take a season to find their feet at the club. We've had examples in our recent past of players who had difficult first seasons, before settling into the team. Evra, Pallister and G Nev, off the top of my head, all had the 'baptism of fire' before going on to be fantastic players for us.

He's come from a poncey league full of drama queens and divers (I know he could. be described as one, too). He'll be brilliant next season, I reckon.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Some players are made for the Premier and some aren't. Sadly I think the latter is true for ADM. Along with Falcao he should be off in the summer.

Sam

His talent is unquestionable, his suitability to a LVG possession based team isn't. He's the type of player that would have probably been brilliant in a Fergie team, but I'm struggling to see how it's going to work here, unless he substantially changes his game. Really does strike me as right player, wrong time.

I just can't help wonder why LVG wanted to buy a player that is just so not suited to the football he's getting us to play. He's almost the polar opposite tbh. The only conclusions I can come to are A) LVG hadn't actually seen that much of Di Maria to realise just how 'anti possession*' a player he is or B) It was a club signing pushed onto LVG

*For want of a better phrase

I really hope they find a way to get it to work, because on his game, he's just a magical player.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
This is partly what makes our league so great. It's a very tough league. There are no respecters of reputation. Di Maria will be a better player for it.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Played so many games last season and then a wold cup in the Amazon jungle. Then he joined a new team who was woefully out of form and manager learning the English game.

He has struggled but also put up decent numbers while playing in a slow side for the majority of the season. He is a counter attacking player playing in a possession side.
He needs to learn but will get better. He is insanely good.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
His talent is unquestionable, his suitability to a LVG possession based team isn't. He's the type of player that would have probably been brilliant in a Fergie team, but I'm struggling to see how it's going to work here, unless he substantially changes his game. Really does strike me as right player, wrong time.

I just can't help wonder why LVG wanted to buy a player that is just so not suited to the football he's getting us to play. He's almost the polar opposite tbh. The only conclusions I can come to are A) LVG hadn't actually seen that much of Di Maria to realise just how 'anti possession*' a player he is or B) It was a club signing pushed onto LVG

*For want of a better phrase

I really hope they find a way to get it to work, because on his game, he's just a magical player.
This concern has been posted many times before, why do people think a player like Di Maria doesn't fit van Gaal's style? Granted, he's not the best as CM because we're possesion based and he can't take risks there. Van Gaal said he didn't have a worldclass winger like him, so I doubt he was even bought for the midfield anyways. He's multifunctional though, which already ticks 1 of van Gaal's boxes.

Van Gaal always uses players with individual brilliance. They're not restricted to keep the ball at all times, they can make things happen. It's obvious Di Maria is that for us, he can try difficult crosses/shots that our CM's aren't allowed to try. He has more freedom in his movement, actions and there have been reports that he's the only player in training who can dribble.

I think that when the team has perfected van Gaal's style (which we're on the way of doing) Di Maria will be a great addition with his freedom. He will be the unpredictable factor in an otherwise rigid team. I still fully trust him to come good, one tough year of settling in won't change that. He's already shown us what he can do.

We won't sell him unless he desperately wants out which, despite what some say here, looks like it's not the case because there's been 0 evidence. We won't sell him for a loss either, why would we? We're not a selling club, we bought him for a record transfer fee and he's got a long contract. Why would the club take a 20m loss? That's never going to happen.

togg

I think we should keep him for next season to see if he can adapt to the pace and aggression of the Premier League...people do adapt. Interesting comments from Blind who said the Premier league is unique in so many ways. Not sure he can, because he needs too much space and time to create...but it's worth seeing if he can translate his natural talent to the cut and thrust of our game.

Sam

This concern has been posted many times before, why do people think a player like Di Maria doesn't fit van Gaal's style? Granted, he's not the best as CM because we're possesion based and he can't take risks there. Van Gaal said he didn't have a worldclass winger like him, so I doubt he was even bought for the midfield anyways. He's multifunctional though, which already ticks 1 of van Gaal's boxes.

Van Gaal always uses players with individual brilliance. They're not restricted to keep the ball at all times, they can make things happen. It's obvious Di Maria is that for us, he can try difficult crosses/shots that our CM's aren't allowed to try. He has more freedom in his movement, actions and there have been reports that he's the only player in training who can dribble.

I think that when the team has perfected van Gaal's style (which we're on the way of doing) Di Maria will be a great addition with his freedom. He will be the unpredictable factor in an otherwise rigid team. I still fully trust him to come good, one tough year of settling in won't change that. He's already shown us what he can do.

We won't sell him unless he desperately wants out which, despite what some say here, looks like it's not the case because there's been 0 evidence. We won't sell him for a loss either, why would we? We're not a selling club, we bought him for a record transfer fee and he's got a long contract. Why would the club take a 20m loss? That's never going to happen.
I just don't think his style of play is suited to a possession based team in the slightest.

As a midfielder he's far to high risk with his passing and dribbling, as has been well documented. I doubt we'll see him in midfield again for a long time unless he makes massive changes to his game.
And as a winger he's not particularity good from a standing start. He's not a Hazard/Sanchez/Nani type winger who can regularly beat defenders with an explosion of pace/bit of skill. He's absolutely lethal on the counter, running at pace, twisting and turning past defenders, but with this possession style we don't get many chances for that.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think we should keep him for next season to see if he can adapt to the pace and aggression of the Premier League...people do adapt. Interesting comments from Blind who said the Premier league is unique in so many ways. Not sure he can, because he needs too much space and time to create...but it's worth seeing if he can translate his natural talent to the cut and thrust of our game.
He has already shown this season that this is not true, the only thing with him now is being a bit more careful in posession and decision making (LVG likes a slightly more measured approach as Herrera has already adjusted too)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Bet Valencia is glad he didn't do that.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
That 22 in Roman numerals seems likely to reference his number at Madrid. I wouldn't read much into it either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.