Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
On the contrary, the interview illustrates his determination to prove himself. He actually says "It is a little difficult to explain why I don't play", which seems to be related to the fact that he wasn't starting as he was not playing to the philosophy, as opposed to him simply not being good enough.

I think the interview is a good read, and shows the type of character di Maria is.
He wasn't starting because he wasn't good enough. Nothing more to it.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
Because it's fecking retarded spoiled Football Manager nonsense. Shiny thing not working right away. Me want new shiny thing now.

Especially the season after two of our most hated players, half as talented as Di Maria, who everyone wanted sold 12 months ago, ended up amongst our best performers with the slightest change of attitude and confidence.

But yeah. Lets sell our most expensive, creative and potentially talented player without giving him a similar chance. Nothing wrong with that. Lets sell Mata too, and Januzaj, and all of our brand new players who haven't set the world alight yet. Selling people off's become almost as muppety a signing them this season. Lets just start from scratch every year till we get it right.

Sack Louis, Sell Angel
That's the go to argument whenever a player flops. "You're spoilt, give him more than one season to prove himself". Did you afford the same courtesy to Moyes despite him looking just as tragic as Di Maria has looked? I guess we were spoilt for sacking him after a season then.

Never mind his assists, he's been a flop so far. We expected so much more from him especially considering what we paid. He doesn't suit our style of play and looks like a deer in front of headlights in the PL. In fact, Bambi on ice is an apt comparison.

Instead of giving him time for time sake, why don't we evaluate if he's that important to us. Why keep a player we don't need? We've shown we're good enough without him. He's world class but how often have we seen that from him this season? He doesn't suit our midfield and is wildly inconsistent on the wing?

Why the hell would you criticise people for wanting to make a profit on someone we got ripped off for and that has also flattered to deceive? Top rèd behaviour right there.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So people seriously want to sell him, knowing full well that Bayern and Barca want to buy him and he would slot into their starting 11 easily? 2 of the best 3 teams in the world, but he's not consistent enough for us and just can't cut it here.... Right. Makes sense.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Not at all. The position he's best in is in midfield but he's not the right man for our midfield despite how good we know he can be. He doesn't have the right supporting cast either and looks way too lightweight to play in the PL. I mean when players like Fellaini and Rooney are outperforming you in midfield, you know something's up.

So the only position we can play him is on the wing where inconsistency is an understatement. He's nothing special on the wing, basically another Nani, who on his day can be great but when it's not, is absolutely dreadful.

If it was up to me, I'd sell him while his stock is still high. In fact, I'm not entirely sure why we bought him especially since we don't really need him.

There's no point in keeping him in hope he'll regain form. There's no room for sentimentality anymore, especially when we don't need Di Maria. In fact, that's why we are where we are right now post-Fergie. Look at Chelsea, they're getting rid of Cuadrado because he just doesn't look the same player for them as he did for Fiorentina.

Not saying we have to sell him but there's nothing wrong in people wanting to do so. Not sure why it's so ridiculous when he's been so shit for large parts of he season.
I couldn't give a shit about recouping the money, £60m at United wouldn't break the bank. I'd much rather us give him another season to settle in to a completely different culture and environment, as well as a different style of football. He's a world class player, probably our best player if he just started playing well - like we know he can from the start of the season!

Señor

I couldn't give a shit about recouping the money, £60m at United wouldn't break the bank. I'd much rather us give him another season to settle in to a completely different culture and environment, as well as a different style of football. He's a world class player, probably our best player if he just started playing well - like we know he can from the start of the season!
And that's your opinion. Just as it is to not minding him being sold and spending that money on an actual world class central midfielder which is what we actually need. He's not a world class winger which is where he'll play for us.

Lennon7

And that's your opinion. Just as it is to not minding him being sold and spending that money on an actual world class central midfielder which is what we actually need. He's not a world class winger which is where he'll play for us.
He seemed to play like a world class winger when he played there in the World Cup a lot? I've seen glimpses of what he can do, and I still believe if he wasn't dislodged by Ashley Young's out of the blue amazing performances, he would've done a lot better for us.

Señor

He seemed to play like a world class winger when he played there in the World Cup a lot? I've seen glimpses of what he can do, and I still believe if he wasn't dislodged by Ashley Young's out of the blue amazing performances, he would've done a lot better for us.
What World Cup were you watching? He was playing in central midfield and was awful anyway.

Question234

Like who ?

I'm all ears. We could throw 60mil at pogba and veratti, they still wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Lennon7

What World Cup were you watching? He was playing in central midfield and was awful anyway.
Yes but on occasion he played as a winger. We all know he's a good winger, he's played there several times.
And he had a good World Cup? What are you talking about. I remember a few games where he was shit but in general he had a good World Cup. It's widely agreed that Argentina missed him in the final and would've done a lot better with him playing.

MDFC Manager

Because it's fecking retarded spoiled Football Manager nonsense. Shiny thing not working right away. Me want new shiny thing now.

Especially the season after two of our most hated players, half as talented as Di Maria, who everyone wanted sold 12 months ago, ended up amongst our best performers with the slightest change of attitude and confidence.

But yeah. Lets sell our most expensive, creative and potentially talented player without giving him a similar chance. Nothing wrong with that. Lets sell Mata too, and Januzaj, and all of our brand new players who haven't set the world alight yet. Selling people off's become almost as muppety a signing them this season. Lets just start from scratch every year till we get it right.

Sack Louis, Sell Angel
Spot on. I know that football fans in recent times have become very short termist, but wanting to sell Di Maria after just a season just takes the cake really.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
He wasn't starting because he wasn't good enough. Nothing more to it.
He wasn't going to say that in an interview, was he? He was asked what happened at Man United after such a successful season at Real Madrid? And the translation of what he said was "it's difficult to explain why I was left out", hardly anything wrong with saying that.

MDFC Manager

Who on earth would want this guy out of our club.
The money men at the club don't want to, the manager (presumably) doesn't want to, the player himself says wants to stay. Yet some of our fans want to "cash in". Go figure.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Me, 100%... I don't want him here, he's a luxury player, a deep lying playmaker without the passing, a winger who will drift out of games, he is a centre midfielder, when played alongside players like Schneiderlin with Carrick behind.. Either that or the left part of the diamond, if he is to be used as a winger, for £60m, he is barely a £30m winger..

Di Maria's angel

Me, 100%... I don't want him here, he's a luxury player, a deep lying playmaker without the passing, a winger who will drift out of games, he is a centre midfielder, when played alongside players like Schneiderlin with Carrick behind.. Either that or the left part of the diamond, if he is to be used as a winger, for £60m, he is barely a £30m winger..
Couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He wasn't going to say that in an interview, was he? He was asked what happened at Man United after such a successful season at Real Madrid? And the translation of what he said was "it's difficult to explain why I was left out", hardly anything wrong with saying that.
Why the feck not? Nothing wrong with saying he wasn't good enough and needs to improve. Many players have done it before.

He comes across as someone who thinks he shouldn't have been dropped.

Di Maria's angel

Why the feck not? Nothing wrong with saying he wasn't good enough and needs to improve. Many players have done it before.

He comes across as someone who thinks he shouldn't have been dropped.
There's no point in arguing about this as neither of us know Spanish, and we haven't seen the interview to be able to interpret it properly.

And wrt the second part, you're wrong as he simply doesn't say that. If had said something along the lines of "I don't understand why I wasn't starting" then I'd agree with you.

You're reading far too much into one or two parts of the interview. People need to stop being so analytical about everything...

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
So people seriously want to sell him, knowing full well that Bayern and Barca want to buy him and he would slot into their starting 11 easily? 2 of the best 3 teams in the world, but he's not consistent enough for us and just can't cut it here.... Right. Makes sense.
I don't think he suits the way van Gaal wants us to play and this might relegated him to even lesser role next season, in which case it'd be better to let him go to a club that will utilise him in the best possible way.

Question234

Did you afford the same courtesy to Moyes despite him looking just as tragic as Di Maria has looked?
:lol::lol: How do you compare the performance of a manager and a player ?

Well with Moyes we finished seventh, with Di maria we finished fourth. He also helped by getting the most assists and chances created along the way ;)

Adebesi

Sack Louis, Sell Angel
I can definitely see what you are saying and on balance I agree but with Di Maria there look to be fundamental compatibility issues with Van Gaal. Even his biggest fans do not argue Di Maria is a £60m winger. I have to admit I rarely watch Spanish football so I am going on second hand reports here mostly, but from what I gather, as a winger he is quite comparable to Nani - very talented but also very temperamental.

His biggest fans say he justifies that price tag for what he offers playing in midfield. But there is a massive question mark over whether Van Gaal will ever be comfortable playing him in that position.

Anyway, I wouldnt advocate selling him, I think he probably does deserve a second season to put things right. Maybe Van Gaal will find a way to use him effectively. Maybe he can put in consistently brilliant performances on the wing. But I dont think people arguing we should cut our losses are bring spoilt or retarded.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I would keep him 100% and if LvG still can't get the best out of him next season then at the end of this season at least one of LvG or Di Maria have to go anyway:

* Di Maria has to go if he can't get enough games next season either but the team does well without him

* LvG has to go if Di Maria doesn't fit his philosophy but with the players who apparently do he still manages to disappoint in every competition and we look as predictable as we have this season or his teams have at times in the past.

Classical Mechanic

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Couldn't be more wrong if you tried.
How so? Wasted as a 2 man mid and not effective enough as a winger... I dont doubt his talent but i dont think we use him properly, nor has he perhaps hardened up, tailored his skill set to suit the PL, his tracking back is lacking too. Bear in mind as i write this im considering the fact he cost 60m which is comparable to other players we cpuld have got like De Rossi the season before last, Sanchez or Vidal last season... Instead we buy a 3rd midfielder or a CM who needs to be partnered with dedensive stability and play him on the wings.. Meanwhile Arsenal and Chelsea needed a winger and got Sanchez and Hazard, i appreciate there were also flops likeCuadrado but they played him in the position he played...

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
How so? Wasted as a 2 man mid and not effective enough as a winger... I dont doubt his talent but i dont think we use him properly, nor has he perhaps hardened up, tailored his skill set to suit the PL, his tracking back is lacking too. Bear in mind as i write this im considering the fact he cost 60m which is comparable to other players we cpuld have got like De Rossi the season before last, Sanchez or Vidal last season... Instead we buy a 3rd midfielder or a CM who needs to be partnered with dedensive stability and play him on the wings.. Meanwhile Arsenal and Chelsea needed a winger and got Sanchez and Hazard, i appreciate there were also flops likeCuadrado but they played him in the position he played...
'Or, I should say, we don't have wingers of the highest level, like Ronaldo or Di Maria or somebody like that. So, I have to play another way –and you have seen that already. I only buy when I think we need to buy –the position that is necessary.' - van Gaal

You might see Di Maria as a midfielder since he's had an amazing half a season there for RM, but we don't have the same team and play very different football. LvG obviously sees him as a winger (he signed him as his '7' and he's pretty adamant about numbers) and that would make sense since Di Maria doesn't posses the strenghts of a van Gaal midfielder, but of a winger. He's inconsistent there like most wingers but still better than Mata, Januzaj, Memphis and Young. Di Maria also was used in the Robben role in 352, as a 10 and in his Benfica left-side of the diamond as van Gaal likes multifunctional players, he hasn't been moved from the wing in his final months when he did play so LvG found out Di Maria isn't as multifunctional for his style of football.

He suited RM's midfield but he suits us as a winger. He's still gotten plenty of assists in a season where some describe him as a flop and ofcourse we overpaid for him without CL. I think Di Maria can easily turn it around on the right wing next season once the whole team understands van Gaal better and we plugged some holes in the squad.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
The fact that some people think that di Maria will continue to not do well under van Gaal surprises me. van Gaal has been able to set up teams during his career that accommodated players who played instinctively and even transformed them for the better. This is someone who set up Barcelona with a 4-3-3 with the point backwards in order to give Rivaldo the freedom to play at his best. He's someone who transformed Ribery from a near-world-class winger into one of, if not the best, winger in the world, and that was when Ribery was 26. It's not the first time van Gaal has dealt with such players, but what makes this easier for him is that di Maria won't give up on van Gaal like Rivaldo and Ribery did. di Maria's a fighter who'll never give up, and this attitude will help him in becoming a better, hopefully more consistent, winger under van Gaal.

Adebesi

The fact that some people think that di Maria will continue to not do well under van Gaal surprises me. van Gaal has been able to set up teams during his career that accommodated players who played instinctively and even transformed them for the better. This is someone who set up Barcelona with a 4-3-3 with the point backwards in order to give Rivaldo the freedom to play at his best. He's someone who transformed Ribery from a near-world-class winger into one of, if not the best, winger in the world, and that was when Ribery was 26. It's not the first time van Gaal has dealt with such players, but what makes this easier for him is that di Maria won't give up on van Gaal like Rivaldo and Ribery did. di Maria's a fighter who'll never give up, and this attitude will help him in becoming a better, hopefully more consistent, winger under van Gaal.
Would Ribery agree with that assessment? Genuine question, I honestly dont know much about the dynamic between them except that Ribery couldnt stand the man, I assumed if LVG had been the one who transformed him into one of the very best players in the world Ribery would have more positive things to say about him.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Would Ribery agree with that assessment? Genuine question, I honestly dont know much about the dynamic between them except that Ribery couldnt stand the man, I assumed if LVG had been the one who transformed him into one of the very best players in the world Ribery would have more positive things to say about him.
Ribery wouldn't agree with that assessment, of course, but since van Gaal's spell there, Ribery has shown better decision making and more intelligence in his game. Before, he would drift into the middle too often, but since van Gaal arrived, he showed more discipline and better decision making in his game. I expect the same to happen with di Maria as well, and I hope that the relationship between them doesn't turn sour.

RedorDead21

Ribery is garbage!

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
How is he doing at the Copa?
He started off being quite reserved and unconfident in his own game. He was as sloppy and inconsistent as he was with us in the first couple of matches. However, as the tournament went on, di Maria got better and more influential, and now, he's one of Argentina's best players. He's still playing his own game, but he's playing it with confidence, and it shows with more successful dribbles, better deliveries, and being one of the men Messi looks for when on the ball.

Mali_Zeus

He started off being quite reserved and unconfident in his own game. He was as sloppy and inconsistent as he was with us in the first couple of matches. However, as the tournament went on, di Maria got better and more influential, and now, he's one of Argentina's best players. He's still playing his own game, but he's playing it with confidence, and it shows with more successful dribbles, better deliveries, and being one of the men Messi looks for when on the ball.
Thanks. :)
Hope he'll turn it around for us next season.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Decent game from him yesterday, not back to his best but he looks very lively

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!

It's not so much people want him out its just if we did cash in on him it's not as if we would miss him.

When ronaldo left we lost a huge goal scoring threat player, when scholes left we lost the all round midfielder. They had massive impact on games and we definately missed them if ADM left we wouldn't miss anything because he's not actually done anything.

Of course we should keep him though because we know what he's capable of. Hopefully he kicks on next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.