Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagga7

He was great for us when he was playing left of a diamond. I think the position changes really fecked him. He's clearly world class.

The White Pele

I think he's a player that supporters have to accept will be frustrating at times during matches but can always produce a match-winning moment. I remember one cameo towards the end of last season (West Brom?) where he was dreadful but still came closer to scoring a goal to get us back into it than anybody else on the pitch.

At times with Young and Mata on the wings we have been guilty of just passing it side to side on the edge of the box without going for the throat, whereas Di Maria is a player who can whip in a cross from most angles and is prepared to try and beat his man. He will lose the ball more often as a result but his mindset of taking risks in the final third will open things up for us.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think he's a player that supporters have to accept will be frustrating at times during matches but can always produce a match-winning moment. I remember one cameo towards the end of last season (West Brom?) where he was dreadful but still came closer to scoring a goal to get us back into it than anybody else on the pitch.

At times with Young and Mata on the wings we have been guilty of just passing it side to side on the edge of the box without going for the throat, whereas Di Maria is a player who can whip in a cross from most angles and is prepared to try and beat his man. He will lose the ball more often as a result but his mindset of taking risks in the final third will open things up for us.
All reasons why this insistence by so many people that he needs to play in central midfield blows my mind. All the more so with him consistently playing wide in a front three for Argentina. It's like they're denying the evidence in front of their own eyes.

NoLogo

I hope he gets his break through this coming season. Selling him on immediately should only be considered if LvG came to Woodward and said that he isn't a fit for his system and won't be a starter next season as well.

Browniee

Can't wait to see Angel next season, I just know he'll be a complete different player. Would be shocking to let him go now

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
He will leave this summer.

PSG has been cleared from the FFP yesterday, and they have now their financial power back. They don't mind paying 70M for Angel and giving him huge wages

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer

PSG has been cleared from the FFP yesterday, and they have now their financial power back. They don't mind paying 70M for Angel and giving him huge wages
He won't leave. He's said he'll stay, and we paid £60m for him. Unless, like you said, we somehow got offered more than that for him then it's a possibility but he's by far our most talented player and he just needs to fit in (like Rojo said).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

I'm curious to see their soon to be received offer.

Chaky_Best

I'm curious to see their soon to be received offer.
They will attack him. Al Khelaifi is a big admirer of him. Last season they were close to sign him, but the FFP stopped them. Since this failure, they kept asking his agent about his situation at United, and a lot of PSG's insiders are convinced that they will go for him, because he's an absolute must for them.

He will fit in their team either on a 4-3-3 with Ibra and Cavani upfront, and Pastore behind, or more a 4-4-2 diamond.

Anyway, Paris are so focused on him, the staff, the fans, but also the players...

I don't want him to leave, but knowing LVG, if PSG offers 80M€ for him (they're able to), then he'll be off to Madrid.... It'll all down the player I guess

JPRouve

Scout
They will attack him. Al Khelaifi is a big admirer of him. Last season they were close to sign him, but the FFP stopped them. Since this failure, they kept asking his agent about his situation at United, and a lot of PSG's insiders are convinced that they will go for him, because he's an absolute must for them.

He will fit in their team either on a 4-3-3 with Ibra and Cavani upfront, and Pastore behind, or more a 4-4-2 diamond.

Anyway, Paris are so focused on him, the staff, the fans, but also the players...

I don't want him to leave, but knowing LVG, if PSG offers 80M€ for him (they're able to), then he'll be off to Madrid.... It'll all down the player I guess
Oh! I think you are right, when I heard about the lift of the restrictions, like a lot people I thought about Di Maria, he is the left winger that they lack.

settembrini

We won't look for a replacement if we sell him imo. Just go with what we have unless someone like Bale becomes available. It's not like he was a key player we couldn't do without last season.

Chaky_Best

I can't think of anyone good enough who is available.
The issue here is different from a name or so.

This year Di Maria couldn't cope with LVG's philosophy and players like Young and Mata were above him in the pecking order, and as much as we like him, we all know that Di Maria was poor last season. I'm rude enough because someone with his talent and his price should have done better, so he was poor.

We know that he can produce at United, but this is only thinking about the player. What about the team ? Will he be able to do what he didn't last year for LVG ?

In a hand, you have issues on and off the field at Manchester, and in an other hand you have the possibility to leave and find another big club. You doing big efforts or you leave.

I think that he's more down the second thing. And to be honest, if Paris gives us 75-80M€ for him, I guess that Woody will be there to sell him and try to recruit somebody else.

Then who ? Do we really need to buy another winger if he leaves, or can we buy a striker ? (Cavani ? I hate him but there were talks), Kane for 50M, or trying to force Muller or going back to Bale ? .... Maybe another top midfielder like Koke, Vidal...

Di Maria was not a starter last year when we finished for. We all know that if he manages to come in this team he will do great thing, but the fact is that PSG can propose a huge offer for a sub

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
All reasons why this insistence by so many people that he needs to play in central midfield blows my mind. All the more so with him consistently playing wide in a front three for Argentina. It's like they're denying the evidence in front of their own eyes.
It has surprised me all season, of course a bit of the call for a central role came from the wish to make a point about LvG playing players out of their position, but some seemed to think that if he was classified as a midfielder in the match statistics for RM or Argentinia, it makes him a central midfielder.

He runs at defenders, can beat his man, is fast and has a great cross, but needs to risk loss of posession to be dangerous. That is the ideal profile for a front row winger in 4-3-3, and if despite this player one decides to play 4-4-2, he has to play as a midfield winger. On the axis you need solid players, who know when not to lose posession.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

This year Di Maria couldn't cope with LVG's philosophy and players like Young and Mata were above him in the pecking order, and as much as we like him, we all know that Di Maria was poor last season. I'm rude enough because someone with his talent and his price should have done better, so he was poor.

We know that he can produce at United, but this is only thinking about the player. What about the team ? Will he be able to do what he didn't last year for LVG ?

In a hand, you have issues on and off the field at Manchester, and in an other hand you have the possibility to leave and find another big club. You doing big efforts or you leave.

I think that he's more down the second thing. And to be honest, if Paris gives us 75-80M€ for him, I guess that Woody will be there to sell him and try to recruit somebody else.

Then who ? Do we really need to buy another winger if he leaves, or can we buy a striker ? (Cavani ? I hate him but there were talks), Kane for 50M, or trying to force Muller or going back to Bale ? .... Maybe another top midfielder like Koke, Vidal...

Di Maria was not a starter last year when we finished for. We all know that if he manages to come in this team he will do great thing, but the fact is that PSG can propose a huge offer for a sub
I had to read that at least twice to properly understand it Chaky! ;)

But yeah, agreed. If PSG offer, at a minumum what we paid for AdM, I can see LvG and Woody being interested.

We could always try and nab one of their stars in turn (and like you, I'm not a Cavani fan at all), but Verratti or Marquinhos :drool: could do nicely. Not sure how Lucas Moura have progressed but he doesn't seem to get too many starts over there?

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

We won't sell him. We don't need the money. There are no players at PSG who we could acquire in a possible trade (please don't say Verratti, he won't be leaving Paris for Manchester). He's coming off a superb Copa America, which I'm sure LvG has been watching and will take some notes from. Given our potential targets, and the acquisition of Depay, you'd think we're transitioning to a 4-3-3 comprising a front three of LW-ST-RW and we have three players who fit each of those positions.

We broke both our and the British transfer record to bring this guy to Manchester; there is no way we'd be stupid enough to sell him a year later.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
There have been no indications whatsoever that he wants to leave. He is away with Argentina currently and has the perfect platform to give interviews in his native language with Argentine TV/newspapers and still he hadn't indicated that he wants to leave.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If Di Maria wants to stay I wouldn't myself, but if he wants to leave, I'll let him go.
That goes without saying for me. I wasn't fussed seeing ronaldo go when he wanted to leave. I don't care about de gea either. If lvg wanted out I'd say good riddance.

But it seems he's determined to be successful in England if that's the case, then from our perspective I don't see anyone better and hence I'd definitely keep him.

amolbhatia50k

You're thinking too hard about this. We have a top attacking midfielder in our squad who has pace, dribbling ability and skill. We're rich and we clearly rate him. It makes no sense to let him go unless we actually can identify other names who can bring us the same. If Psg offer us 100 million for him I reckon we'd accept it. But then again Real Madrid might accept 150 million for ronaldo so it's pointless speculation.

amolbhatia50k

Again, no. That's not about the player, it's the team. Di Maria producing like he can at United is about United.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
The only way I can see di Maria leave is if Mendes decides to send him to Paris to pocket some cash. Ever since di Maria moved to Europe, Mendes was involved in all of di Maria's transfers. Knowing this, I get the feeling that di Maria doesn't really care what club he plays for as long as Mendes is involved.

Given the statements he came out with, however, it seems as if Mendes isn't yet interested in moving di Maria on. Either that, or di Maria has told Mendes that he wants to stay with us for a while longer. Or, PSG don't really involve Mendes in their transfers, which is good news for them and for us Re: di Maria staying or leaving.

JPRouve

Scout
The only way I can see di Maria leave is if Mendes decides to send him to Paris to pocket some cash. Ever since di Maria moved to Europe, Mendes was involved in all of di Maria's transfers. Knowing this, I get the feeling that di Maria doesn't really care what club he plays for as long as Mendes is involved.

Given the statements he came out with, however, it seems as if Mendes isn't yet interested in moving di Maria on. Either that, or di Maria has told Mendes that he wants to stay with us for a while longer. Or, PSG don't really involve Mendes in their transfers, which is good news for them and for us Re: di Maria staying or leaving.
Did you thought that one properly? He joined Benfica, Madrid and Manchester, there is nothing abnormal in that and there isn't anything to put on Mendes.
Another thing Mendes only decides for the players that he owns, like it was the case for Falcao who was partially owned by Mendes the other players are free to do what they want and Di Maria is one of them.

settembrini

I think we will sell if we get a good offer. But we will want close to what we paid Madrid and Di Maria will want the same massive salary he is on here. Clubs that can afford that are few and far between. We won't sell to City/Chelsea, Madrid didn't want him, Bayern just bought Costa. Only PSG or Barcelona left.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Did you thought that one properly? He joined Benfica, Madrid and Manchester, there is nothing abnormal in that and there isn't anything to put on Mendes.
Another thing Mendes only decides for the players that he owns, like it was the case for Falcao who was partially owned by Mendes the other players are free to do what they want and Di Maria is one of them.
Mendes was involved in transferring di Maria from Benfica to Real Madrid, and he was also involved in transferring him from Real Madrid to us. I haven't suggested that he partially owns di Maria through a third-party company, but he has been involved in both of the transfers I previously mentioned. Hence, why I said that the only way di Maria could move this summer is if Mendes was involved.

If PSG decide not to contact Mendes to get di Maria, then great, because di Maria, personally, seems to be more interested in playing for us than anywhere else at the moment.

JPRouve

Scout
Mendes was involved in transferring di Maria from Benfica to Real Madrid, and he was also involved in transferring him from Real Madrid to us. I haven't suggested that he partially owns di Maria through a third-party company, but he has been involved in both of the transfers I previously mentioned. Hence, why I said that the only way di Maria could move this summer is if Mendes was involved.

If PSG decide not to contact Mendes to get di Maria, then great, because di Maria, personally, seems to be more interested in playing for us than anywhere else at the moment.
Obviously he is involved, Di Maria is a Gestifute client, Mendes will take care of the negotiations, he is paid by Di Maria to do that. I don't know if Benfica paid the full price for Di Maria, so he might have been owned by Gestifute but it's not the case since Madrid, so no Mendes doesn't decide where Di Maria goes.

ravi2

It all depends on who can replace him, because I think that PSG will make an offer that makes you think twice.
I can't think of anyone good enough who is available.
We aren't going to sell him IMO. No matter what money is thrown our way.
If PSG are so hellbent on getting ADM I would suggest a trade in which Verratti comes our way...that is a win/win for all parties.
Verratti is exactly the sort of CM we should be in for.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Obviously he is involved, Di Maria is a Gestifute client, Mendes will take care of the negotiations, he is paid by Di Maria to do that. I don't know if Benfica paid the full price for Di Maria, so he might have been owned by Gestifute but it's not the case since Madrid, so no Mendes doesn't decide where Di Maria goes.
I definitely agree with that, and again, I haven't suggested that Mendes will decide di Maria's fate. However, what Mendes will do is make any future di Maria transfer smoother. During last summer, di Maria was talking about how he thought he would end up at Paris. This indicated that di Maria didn't care whether he stayed or left; if he was to leave to Paris, he'd have no issue with that. Instead, we showed interest when PSG started to get involved, and we got him with the high transfer fee and Mendes helping out with the logistics. Right now, di Maria seems committed with us, which is great news, but I wonder what could happen if he actually lost some interest in this club. Will he be okay with moving to PSG especially if PSG call in Mendes to help out with the transfer? Not to say that this is a possibility; it's just a thought experiment I'm currently conducting.

MDFC Manager

If PSG are so hellbent on getting ADM I would suggest a trade in which Verratti comes our way...that is a win/win for all parties.
Verratti is exactly the sort of CM we should be in for.
I agree about Verratti being an excellent fit for us, but I doubt PSG would do that deal, as they won't need the money.

ravi2

I agree about Verratti being an excellent fit for us, but I doubt PSG would do that deal, as they won't need the money.
We dont need the money either, and ADM has stated twice he wants to stay so PSG would have to come up with a hell of an offer to tempt both him and MUFC. I dont think usually we would have a chance at getting Verratti but we could if PSG wants ADM badly enough.

cyberman

This PSG myth
Who did they sign before they had the restrictions? 31 year old Ibra? Or Thiago Silva who literally came out and said he didn't want to leave Milan and was sold against his will.
Where are all these 80m bids and all these stars desperate for Paris?
Nobody will go to PSG willingly in their prime. If Angel wanted to leave United he's already be away.
They're a myth, the boogeyman of world football... Oh we better get this deal done before PSG swoop in, oh it's ok, they've signed Charlie Austin for 47m..

YouOnlyLiveTwice

The chance of PSG swapping Verratti for Di Maria is basically zero. Verratti is worth more than di Maria, and he is a player that makes the whole team tick, he is irreplaceable.

rover

i see diMaria is a very humble person. as an argentine he's also a built in team player.

he changed his game significantly by his last season with madrid. he turned himself selfish after real brought in bale. he would still pass to ronaldo. other than that he would try to do it all on his own just like what we observed by the last season occasionally. but we all know of that season he was delivering some very outstanding plays, made his name and put himself to be a world class player.

however, when he could outrun most latino players in la liga, he doesn't have any edge with his speed in the premier league. he always looked tall when i watch him played in la liga but his size trimmed down immediately whenever he played england. he was not getting used to be bullied out by the muscle play happened in this league neither. that's all making him struggling in this league when he tried to repeat what had done by his last year in spain.

he played excellently at the friendly game against germany. if i'm not wrong messi was missing out of that game and diMaria played as an inside right to preplace for the playmaking role. throught out the game he made himself mobile and was focus in the passing game, penetrated in between the lines of the german defense frequently. when he broke in he was able to make an critical assist as well as take his chance to score by himself also. just imaginee this was a diMaria version of iniesta playing in the right flank. he led argentina totally outplayed the germen on that day.

he has been picking up his form a bit again in the copa america games, but not that much to say he's really shining. it's not like that. the argentina display was pretty much a collective performance of their bunch of high quality individual footballers. taking the paraguay game for instance, the best performers i would say were pastore (damn, i really like him), messi & mascherano. aquero, diMaria, rojo, higuain & zabaleta all delivered on par.

Status
Not open for further replies.