Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

thepolice123

TBF I thought he was pretty decent in the second half. He was one of the players driving us forward.

binary bot
Why van Gaal insist on playing him on the wing when he's clearly much better in the centre?
Because big games are more than individual brilliance, and we had a clear system that went out the window with individual errors.

Jev

So why did he started to be great for Madrid when he was moved to the centre and before that he was just Argentinian Nani, only worse?? :confused:
He didn't. Yes, his last season was his best but he had plenty of great games on the wing.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
what free kicks were you watching?
A few examples spring to mind, like the one where he missed the target by a mile from the free-kick, when he should have played a simple cross in to the box.

Ekeke

TBF I thought he was pretty decent in the second half. He was one of the players driving us forward.
Rooney and Van Persie both managed something out of nothing in the second half that we were unlucky not to profit from. Di Maria wasted almost everything

footballgirl07

Took some great free kicks, except the for his attempt on goal. Corners were a bit poor. I like that he is willing to run at players with the ball with pace. Haven't had a player like that since Ronaldo who was good enough. Lost his man for the goal but his quick passing and flick ons are really good.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He needs to be playing in midfield. I honestly wouldn't mind him in behind Rooney or Falcao away from home. Just give him the freedom to roam.

saivet

Find it strange that his free kicks are fantastic yet his delivery's from corners are very inconsistent.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Even if he is played out of position, that doesnt mean that he shouldnt be able to beat a defender of give a half decent pass? That doesnt mean that he should lose the ball so often? There is a basic level you have to reach, no matter which positions he plays in midfield/attack, he hasnt reached that basic level for the 2nd time in the row, no excuses.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Difficult to judge his second half performance, but I thought it was decent in the circumstances.

His first half performance was very disappointing though. Hope he doesn't have many more of these quiet games.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
If we manage to turn even him into average player then we should just give up on football, but I hope it's just a bad form(it should be, it's just two games after all so I am probably panicking too much).

For the last game and a half he's looked a very average player. If Nani or Zaha put in performances like that they'd certainly be getting slated.

He also has absolutely no capacity to defend
Fecking annoying considering he was excellent for Madrid in that department.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Is the excuse for every player playing poorly 'they aren't in the right position'? Is football really so simple that moving a player a few yards one way or another would suddenly make everything better?

In Rainbows

Sounds like the excuses for Ozil
Maybe Wenger should also play his players in their right position. These players don't need to prove themselves else where. You spend a lot of money, you play them where they are at their best.

It's the same with Ronaldo. You don't play him up top as a striker even though he scores 50+ goals. You play him as a wide forward with freedom to go wherever he pleases.

kundalini

I thought he was awful. We really rely on moments of brilliance from him and all he managed was a couple of decent wide freekicks that no-one managed to get a touch to and his right foot shot that Hart saved. He's a liability defensively so he needs to deliver going forward. Those corners towards the end of the game were just terrible.

justboy68

For the love of God don't have him taking the corners. Poor performance again today but I expect it is being highlighted due to the horrendous corners. Rooney whips in a decent corner, have him on them full time. Would much rather have Di Maria in the middle. We got so much success just from him driving through the middle with the ball when playing the diamond.

United22

He is/was basically Nani V2 when hugging the touchline. Before last season where he played as an ACM in Ancelottis system, there was no way that you could ever look at him and define him as a world class player when he was fixed on the wing. Yes he had good games there for Madrid, but he was inconsistent. I hope we go back to the diamond and play him in the centre

Stringer

Is the excuse for every player playing poorly 'they aren't in the right position'? Is football really so simple that moving a player a few yards one way or another would suddenly make everything better?
If you are unable to tell the difference between playing in a central position and playing as a winger, then that says more about yourself... Of course it may be a coincidence that Di Maria's worst performances have come when playing as a winger but I have a feeling that's not the case.

DevilRed

Corners were poor and we should get someone else to take them.

Other than that he had a decent match and ran his socks off. Would like to see him on the left flank more because he puts in those great deliveries that lead to goals.

Ekeke

Fecking annoying considering he was excellent for Madrid in that department.
I watched the champions league final again right after we signed him, to get a feel for how he'll be in CM for us.

He was a defensive passenger just like he has been for us

The Azzurri

Getting to the point where we have to ask ourselves are we overrating him? He seems to only show up in the smaller games and goes into hiding in the bigger games..

And we splash a tonne of money on him and he can't deliver a decent corner consistently?!

During his times at Real Madrid he was fantastic but he was surrounded by the Ronaldos and bales

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Corners were poor and we should get someone else to take them.

Other than that he had a decent match and ran his socks off. Would like to see him on the left flank more because he puts in those great deliveries that lead to goals.
Remember when we had RVP taking our corners from the right and Rooney from the left? We looked much better.

Walters_19_MuFc

Was ok, but not what you expect from a player who you'd look at to be the game changer for us. Also, his corners need to be a lot better than they were. When you're down to 10 men, and in tight games like this, set pieces can prove to be so vital, as we saw from the Fellaiini chance, which is why it needs to be better. Too many times his corners weren't even getting past the first man. Same thing happened last week too, until he put a decent ball into the box and we scored from it.

Deleted member 78215

There is a significant difference between LCM (the position where he excelled at RM) and the wing. It's not just a matter of moving a 'few yards'. Di Maria needs space to move and drive into. Any decent fullback can cut off the space for him to do that from the wing - and in the last few weeks he's played Ivanovic and Zabaleta.

Jev

Getting to the point where we have to ask ourselves are we overrating him? He seems to only show up in the smaller games and goes into hiding in the bigger games..

And we splash a tonne of money on him and he can't deliver a decent corner consistently?!

During his times at Real Madrid he was fantastic but he was surrounded by the Ronaldos and bales
The 35 million Arsenal spent for Alexis is certainly starting to look like the much better deal. Don't get why we didn't get involved in that one.

But no, Angel di Maria is a top-class player who has had a dip in form after a great start for us. He'll be good.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I watched the champions league final again right after we signed him, to get a feel for how he'll be in CM for us.

He was a defensive passenger just like he has been for us
As a winger he was usually excellent for Madrid defensively, gave his everything almost every time he step up the pitch. I rememeber some of the classico's when he wasn't even great attacking wise, but still I was admiringi for his defensive work, but looks like that part of his game is gone.

Last edited:

Devil may care

I thought he was better as the game went on but the drop in his contribution since he was moved from AM to the wing is pretty fecking obvious.

Jev

It's funny, when we signed him most people on here were wondering why we were signing a winger instead of a CM. When a few of us suggested he could play in CM for us, it was laughed off. Now, after two poor games, 90 per cent of the CAF has decided that he is a CM and only a CM who is completely wasted on the wing, despite having a skill-set better suited for the wing than the central midfield. Complete knee-jerk. He's perfectly fine in both roles.

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
As a winger he was usually excellent for Madrid defensivelt, gave his everything almost every time he step up the pitch. I rememeber some of the classico's when he wasn't even great attacking wise, but still I was admiringi for his defensive work, but looks like that part of his game is gone.
I think we'll see the workhorse Angel di Maria, the engine of Real Madrid's CL winning campaign, back in action as soon as United is able to perform better as a team. It's a major difference from psychological point of view, whether you exhaust yourself for the benefit of a working team or putting in all that effort and things still don't work out.

I was personally much more annoyed by his pisspoor cornerkicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.