3amsDDkXQ_yzdxHgUUXvmg.png

Anthony Joran Martial
Dec 5, 1995 (21)
50.png
France
1,81 m

RH3B5PU.png

Last edited:
Make or break season. I just hope he will be given a chance to prove himself and Mourinho hasn't already made his mind up on him.

I expect he'll start season on bench with incoming Perisic as first choice. Whether he'll be able to push his way back in I'm not sure. Don't think he really suits a sub role/coming on for 10 mins a game. Benefits more from a run like his first season.

I expect he'll start season on bench with incoming Perisic as first choice. Whether he'll be able to push his way back in I'm not sure. Don't think he really suits a sub role/coming on for 10 mins a game. Benefits more from a run like his first season.

I could see Mourinho giving him starts in preseason and, depending on how he performs there, early in the regular season as well. He has dismissed rumors regarding his potential departure in the summer. That'll sit well with Mourinho. I'd be surprised if Mourinho just benched him again. It wouldn't be good management with such a talented player.

He's had a full 5/6 weeks off which I think he needed.

Should be refreshed and ready to shine.

I could see Mourinho giving him starts in preseason and, depending on how he performs there, early in the regular season as well. He has dismissed rumors regarding his potential departure in the summer. That'll sit well with Mourinho. I'd be surprised if Mourinho just benched him again. It wouldn't be good management with such a talented player.
True. The Perisic hold-up might work to his advantage.

I have got absolutely so much anticipation from him, and I have a feeling he's going to bloody light it up this season. His goal against Liverpool was a work of art, and only if he manages to add some diversity to his game, or become unplayable at his one or two strengths, we'll be sorted!

He is the real deal!

I'll be pissed if Mourinho doesn't wipe the slate clean and give him a proper chance straight away. He's a phenomenal talent, with the potential to become the sort of player who could get into any team in the world. Second-season syndrome used to be taken as what it was, not blown up into a reason to completely give up on a player so early in their career.

You want an exciting wide forward who can beat a man (or two or three!), bully a defence and score goals? He's right there. I don't know what to call benching him for an overpriced journeyman like Perisic except cowardice. I don't know exactly what the 'Manchester United way' is, but it's not that.

I'll be pissed if Mourinho doesn't wipe the slate clean and give him a proper chance straight away. He's a phenomenal talent, with the potential to become the sort of player who could get into any team in the world. Second-season syndrome used to be taken as what it was, not blown up into a reason to completely give up on a player so early in their career.
This. And whatever personal/mental issues he had last season should be sorted or at least much better going into next season.
If Mourinho doesn't give him a good run at the start of next season something is clearly going on behind the scenes between the two of them.

Love me some Tony Marshall. He'll prove the doubters wrong this season I'm sure. Class always prevails!

This is going to be his first full pre-season since he's joined, it's going to be nice that he has a full preparation before the season starts. This is a crucial season for him to make that next step into undisputable starter. He's got the potential for it, time to prove it.

Will be one of our best players this season. Got a feeling

Interested to see where he's going to be played. Big season for him no doubt

Really hope he can start the season off with a bang and begin to fulfill the massive potential he obviously possesses (Despite the hilariously funny tagline on my profile!!).
He had a stinker last season, bar one or two great moments.
He was terribly frustrating to watch most of the time, and was rightly criticised for his poor form.
Some members felt it was OK to criticise some players but defend Tony no matter how bad he played, which somewhat irked me, and I felt that this was a bit hypocritical.
I just hope we can see some of that magic he showed us in his first season, as last season felt like one step forward, two steps back for me.
But I'm very excited to see what he can create this season.

We need to find a way to put him into his advanced positions again, so he only needs to take on one defender.

Last season has really showed he's a mood player. Needs stability in his personal life, and to have more faith in himself. Hopefully a great pre-season could do his morale good.

Top five goalscorers now Rooney's gone:
  1. Mata (36)
  2. Martial (25)
  3. Carrick (24)
  4. Valencia (22)
  5. Rashford (19)
Feels weird a DM is our third highest scorer but guess we've had a lot of turnover in the attacking positions. Martial and Rashford both had good first seasons here. Second one was underwhelming though. Hopefully third one will go better for both with a full preseason.

Top five goalscorers now Rooney's gone:
  1. Mata (36)
  2. Martial (25)
  3. Carrick (24)
  4. Valencia (22)
  5. Rashford (19)
Feels weird a DM is our third highest scorer but guess we've had a lot of turnover in the attacking positions. Martial and Rashford both had good first seasons here. Second one was underwhelming though. Hopefully third one will go better for both with a full preseason.
We've had an extremely high turnover of attackers the past few years:

Welbeck, Kagawa, Rooney, RVP, Di Maria, Depay, Nani but to name a few.
The newish crowd have got to start scoring a bit more, can't just be goals from our strikers.

Can't wait to see him this season. Understand people wanting signings but if he finds his form again he will be our best attacker.

Hope he has a storming preseason.
Jose praised him on a number of occasions towards the end of the season.

He's the key to a successful season. He struggled when he played with Rooney down the middle but found his form when a direct runner in Rashford stretched the play.
Maybe he had the same problem with Ibra and Lukaku kick starts his form?

He's the key to a successful season. He struggled when he played with Rooney down the middle but found his form when a direct runner in Rashford stretched the play.
It's the other way around. Rooney's ability to find pockets of space brought out the best in Martial.

Martial has never a been a passer or even creative. If you want to get the most out of him, you need to get him into the box. Rashford doesn't facilitate that as well as Rooney did.

That being said, I'm hopeful (if not expectant) of Lukaku offering something similar. It's difficult to predict the dynamic, but it would be remiss of Mourinho not to try and make these two run off each other consistently.

I agree. He needs to be able to run at players and I'd agree that he was "blocked" by other players, especially this season gone by.
Zlatan loved to come deep, and so did Rooney. As others have said, Lukaku won't come as deep usually. Sure, he'll go to the channels a bit more, but the space in behind him will be there. Our attacking midfielders and "wingers" will benefit from this, Martial the most I think.

Big season for Tony. Looking back he was so good in his first season, hopefully he's rejuvenated after the break and plays with that freedom and drive again

It's on him now. He has the talent, just needs to apply it. Last season was a write off for him, he was nothing short of woeful for the majority of it. I'm a big fan of Tony, sky's the limit for him, just hope he doesn't turn into another one of those what could of been stories.

@Dante
Martial started well as a striker but he and the entire squad fell to crap around Xmas and he was moved out wide. Then Rashford came in and Martial came alive.
I could be off I suppose, I try my best to forget about that season.
I don't think he ever played well with Rooney as a 9?

One thing not to forget is that this year, he'll have a full preseason with us.

I wouldn't be so sure we aren't going to see Perisic on the right to be honest with you.

I think maybe something a little like this, with Mata possibly rotating in that number 10 role to see who fits it better, Perisic is more than capable of doing well on the right;

Lukaku

Martial - Mkhitaryan - Perisic

Love me some Tony Marshall. He'll prove the doubters wrong this season I'm sure. Class always prevails!

Not sure who Tony Marshall is, but...

For the record, I am a doubter and I don't believe Jose is the right manager to get the best out of Martial. At Ajax for example, Martial would improve leaps and bounds.

I think that this could be Martial's defining season. If he gets regular game time AND does well, he'll stay.
If he sucks and/or Jose benches him, he may be off next Summer.

I have absolute full faith in Martial. Jose needs to get his shit straight here. I don't want to see Martial chasing back the full backs again the next season.

Big season for Tony. Looking back he was so good in his first season, hopefully he's rejuvenated after the break and plays with that freedom and drive again

Damn, I miss this Martial. If he gets back to his form from 15/16 it'll be like a big, new signing.

Tragic watching this. What the feck happened last season, bizarre. :wenger:

It's an absolute mystery. I'm not one for suggesting behind the scenes nonsense, but we had one of the most exciting players in the league.

We're seemingly replacing him with Perisic.

If Jose can't get that level of performance out of him, someone else will.

Tragic watching this. What the feck happened last season, bizarre. :wenger:
Jose Mourinho happened.

Martial is a great talented young player, he needs the right manager to guide him and get the best out of him; he needs a manager who'll give him proper attacking instructions and get the best out of him, not a manager who is busy telling him to track back the opposition fullback. The boy would have been unplayable if he was working with Guardiola.

Jose Mourinho happened.

Martial is a great talented young player, he needs the right manager to guide him and get the best out of him; he needs a manager who'll give him proper attacking instructions and get the best out of him, not a manager who is busy telling him to track back the opposition fullback. The boy would have been unplayable if he was working with Guardiola.

He might need that, but we need a manager who wins football games, and if that means we need a winger who tracks back then so be it. Martial is not so precociously talented he can be let off defensive duties for a club like ours.

Hasn't been the same since the euros.

His potential is insane, hope he works hard to achieve it.

Jose Mourinho happened.

What do you base that odd comment on?

Status
Not open for further replies.