Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

What did he say?
Had a dig at him for going with the wrong foot when he tried to close down Ederson taking that goal kick, said if he had gone with the correct one he doesn't end up colliding with the post and picking up a nasty injury as a result

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Had a dig at him for going with the wrong foot when he tried to close down Ederson taking that goal kick, said if he had gone with the correct one he doesn't end up colliding with the post and picking up a nasty injury as a result
Not really having a dig at him is it? He just stated that if he went with his right he might've got there but with his left it ended up being awkward.

mu4c_20le

I agree with him. The pundits gave Ederson lots of praise for his 'recovery', but he actually got beaten by Martial who got to the ball first.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think Martial should have slid at the ball. But credit to Emerson for the tackle which was immense. Thankfully he has a trash game otherwise.

Tony247

Not a big fan but my MOTM yesterday. That goal was so difficult to score. Startdd slow but then he played his part well throughout the match.

RedCurry

It wasn’t Giggs, it was Michael Owen who said it. He said that Martial should’ve almost tackled the ball and taken the ball and goalkeeper in the net together because that’s what strikers should do. Owen isn’t always very clever but he’s worth listening to when he speaks pure striker stuff.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I saw that and it wasn't a dig at all. Both Owen and Giggs said and they are right, but even they said they were being critical. It doesn't mean what they said was wrong though.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Yesterday before he scored he'd already run Fernandina and City's defense rug for a while, was threatening their defense but because he didn't lay it off to Bruno and went for the shot himself which wasn't necessarily a bad decision given most strikers would fancy themselves there(problem wasn't the decision but Martial didn't take his shot well, 9 times out 10 he'd scored from that angle coming from the left on his right foot) the match day thread went on this nonsense about him having a mare of a game.

People can be ridiculous on the Caf especially if they've already targeted a player and have an agenda against him.

ben.heff10

He must be so happy right now - he's playing under a manager that has made him the main man and seems to be very good with him, he's putting the ball in the back of the net regularly and he's playing with some actual quality in Bruno and Rashford. That's the kind of stuff, imo, that could allow him to go on and become a world class forward. Not saying he's there yet, but his overall game has improved so much this year and will only continue to improve with better players around him.

He's gotten a lot of stick this year but well done to him, Ole put his trust in him and he's paying him back

nickyboy1981

Mom for me yesterday, played really well, unlucky not to get more. Should have played in Bruno for his first shot but did what any goal hungry striker would do.

He looked delighted after the game and it was great to see him laughing and joking with Bruno, long may it continue!

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
He was excellent today. When he’s busy and imposing himself on a game he’s cracking, but everyone knows that. That’s the reason these threads to and fro so wildly, because when he’s not it’s a different case. I don’t know why people still can’t work that out.

Performances like today prove it’s not just about him being able to grab a goal, but really affecting the whole game, and he did just that. It’s not always the case though, despite what those who flew in here to make out as such say.
This. Hes such a frustrating player because in these games vs City he shows what class hes capable off, so its so jarring to see him a shadow of himself vs some shite team two games later.

His top level is Ballon d'or level, while his bottom level is Championship level. And i know every player has bad games now and then and some rough patches of form, but i cant remember having a player that had that much of a gulf between their best and their worst. Nani maybe?

If Tony can improve his bottom level a bit, we have the CF position settled for years

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
James' pace is really important in Rashford's absence, it really stretched City's defence today.
Ighalo isn't slow though. He is capable of far better in end product and build up play. Even when James was burning a man he did nothing with the ball, frustratingly even when there it was an open cut back for Bruno for example.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Best goal scoring season since LVG already, and that's with a couple of months out with injury. I was afraid that his time was over under Mourinho, glad to see him come back to form.

SmallCaine

It wasn’t Giggs, it was Michael Owen who said it. He said that Martial should’ve almost tackled the ball and taken the ball and goalkeeper in the net together because that’s what strikers should do. Owen isn’t always very clever but he’s worth listening to when he speaks pure striker stuff.
Pretty sure the foot thing was giggs, I agree with owen, tackling might have been a better option than trying a tap in.. Giggs's point on the other hand made no sense to me, as I saw it, martial had no real choice there. He used the foot which got him there first, using his right foot would have meant taking an extra step while slowing down slightly.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Excellent game from him. Should've squared it to Bruno, but all in all fantastic work rate and just an overall excellent performance.

diarm

Lukakwho?
He's like the complete opposite of Lukaku.

One can bully smaller sides but gets utterly found out against quality.
The other can get complacent and lethargic against smaller sides but shines when up against the best.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
His big game record is brilliant. Also think hes showed that movement is very much a two way street. Nothing wrong with it with Bruno behind him. When you have someone who will play those passes quickly and consistently, you get get encouraged to make more of those runs. Before they just weren't being found.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
He's like the complete opposite of Lukaku.

One can bully smaller sides but gets utterly found out against quality.
The other can get complacent and lethargic against smaller sides but shines when up against the best.
Lukaku wasn't bullying smaller sides with us last season unfortunately, so we couldn't even rely on that part of his game. Though seems like he's picked it back up in Italy, score loads against weaker sides but a No Show against other top teams.

His big game record is brilliant. Also think hes showed that movement is very much a two way street. Nothing wrong with it with Bruno behind him. When you have someone who will play those passes quickly and consistently, you get get encouraged to make more of those runs. Before they just weren't being found.
I remember that interview Van Persie did recently with Rashford and they talked about strikers trusting certain players to put the ball through to them. They mentioned as a striker or attacking player when you're not confident your teammates won't make the passes you need, you tend to not make runs that often anymore but it becomes the complete opposite if you trust and know that players you're playing with will release the ball to you if you make runs.

I also remember a few years ago in Zlatan and Pogba first season with us, there was this analysis of the game Phil Neville and someone else did where they showed that whenever other players in midfield had the ball passing it around, Ibra was just walking and jogging around side to side but as soon as Pogba got on the ball, he'd suddenly come to life and start making runs in behind. That happened because he trusted Pogba to instinctively try to find him with a great ball and have the quality to do so.

So yeah, it also comes down to belief in your teammates. When you have the likes of Lingard or Perreira behind you, you know they'll never put a put through and any runs into channels will result in naught, so you don't bother trying to make runs in behind that often anymore.

Last edited:

Tiber

Not bad for a robot who supposedly doesn't give a **** or show emotion

Have no idea why Martial always gets so much shit from United fans. He has something like 11 goals and 3 assists in 23 games this season - many of them key goals.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Just watched the highlights back... Really weird how he went for the Ederson mistake (where he let the ball roll under his foot) with his left foot... if he had slid in and gone with his right he'd almost certainly have scored.

That's the weird thing about Tony... one minute he's being brave and sticking his head in somewhere rough, the other minute he's half pulling out of a tackle/sprint... Seems like his mood/decisions making on the pitch changes at the drop of a hat at times.

Devil may care

The Martial slander was in full force last week after Igalho bagged a brace against a Championship side playing half their kids. He wasn't flawess yesterday, missed a couple of good chaces, but his all round contribution was superb both offensively and defensively, he also looked happier and more agressive than I've ever seen him.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Just watched the highlights back... Really weird how he went for the Ederson mistake (where he let the ball roll under his foot) with his left foot... if he had slid in and gone with his right he'd almost certainly have scored.

That's the weird thing about Tony... one minute he's being brave and sticking his head in somewhere rough, the other minute he's half pulling out of a tackle/sprint... Seems like his mood/decisions making on the pitch changes at the drop of a hat at times.
The guy ended up colliding with the goal post in an attempt to score that goal which gave him a deep cut and here you are writing about him not being brave enough :lol:

OldTrevil

Not bad for a robot who supposedly doesn't give a **** or show emotion

Have no idea why Martial always gets so much shit from United fans. He has something like 11 goals and 3 assists in 23 games this season - many of them key goals.
He has been key to most of our good play this season, creating when we needed it most in the first part and coming up with match winning performance after another lately. My clear POTY if the season ended today, the only player who has had a competing influence on the team is Fred, but Anto takes it for keeping out attack threatening and producing through one of our worst period footballing-wise and is now spearheading our improbable push to get into CL places.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
The guy ended up colliding with the goal post in an attempt to score that goal which gave him a deep cut and here you are writing about him not being brave enough :lol:
Not sure that's what he said. I'm sure everyone agrees he was brave in that moment, but he just added that he could have used right foot to get around the ball. Martial has stopped his runs quite a few times lately, pulling out instead of going for it, not taking the ball in his stride. He has the tools needed for many jobs, if he needs more time to fully put his game together so be it, if he can do it he'll be insane. He has been better with his movement with his back against the goal, but he hasn't been that much of a threat running in behind lately, but that is something he definitely should add to his game.

UncleBob

:lol:
He pulled out so hard that he clattered into the post

He slides in with his left because of the angle and the distance between the players and ball, if he goes with his right he has to rotate his body

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Not sure that's what he said. I'm sure everyone agrees he was brave in that moment, but he just added that he could have used right foot to get around the ball. Martial has stopped his runs quite a few times lately, pulling out instead of going for it, not taking the ball in his stride. He has the tools needed for many jobs, if he needs more time to fully put his game together so be it, if he can do it he'll be insane. He has been better with his movement with his back against the goal, but he hasn't been that much of a threat running in behind lately, but that is something he definitely should add to his game.
Using his right foot woul have required an extra step and he wouldn't have made it to the ball. Going with his left was the right decision. The only thing he could have done more was to slide but seems like he felt like he could reach the ball without sliding which he actually did but didn'tn't put enough force to overpower Ederson's lunge.

Born2Lose

My big problem with him was always his attitude, he's completely transformed now so credit to him and Ole. He looks like a player whose matured and understands what it means to play for United.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
:lol:
He pulled out so hard that he clattered into the post

He slides in with his left because of the angle and the distance between the players and ball, if he goes with his right he has to rotate his body
Going with his left was completely wrong, it was the whole reason he collided with the post. Because he was on his feet and fell over Edisons challenge... If he had slid and gone with his right then that also wouldn't have happened.

Gary Neville said the exact same thing in commentary (a man who should know a fair bit about challenging for the ball)... it was clear he should have gone with his right. Nothing to do with rotating his body (otherwise everyone would make a slide tackle like that, which they don't), if you go with your right and slide, not only do you generate more power but you also give yourself greater reach. That's why people slide tackle like that... Plus I mean, his right is his stronger foot, so really going with his left didn't make much sense.

I never said he isn't brave enough... I said he goes from moments to moments. At the very beginning of this game he basically pulled out of a sprint that might have seen him in on goal... but then other moments he's sprinting around like a mad man. It's that sort of thing.

Last edited:

UncleBob

Going with his left was completely wrong, it was the whole reason he collided with the post. Because he was on his feet and fell over Edisons challenge... If he had slid and gone with his right then that also wouldn't have happened.

Gary Neville said the exact same thing in commentary (a man who should know a fair bit about challenging for the ball)... it was clear he should have gone with his right. Nothing to do with rotating his body (otherwise everyone would make a slide tackle like that, which they don't)

I never said he isn't brave enough... I said he goes from moments to moments. At the very beginning of this game he basically pulled out of a sprint that might have seen him in on goal... but then other moments he's sprinting around like a mad man. It's that sort of thing.
"Because Gary Neville says so"

Good one.

He's sprinting full pace to get to the ball before Ederson, when it gets to the point that he has to slide in his standing foot is his right. If you want him to go on in his right it's an extra step and the rotation to get the ball on goal given how it's going across, alternatively he has to slide in earlier.

But thank god we can watch this in slowmo's and pick the right answer :lol:

And he basically didn't pull out of the sprint, the City defender got across just when he's about to control the ball.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Using his right foot woul have required an extra step and he wouldn't have made it to the ball. Going with his left was the right decision. The only thing he could have done more was to slide but seems like he felt like he could reach the ball without sliding which he actually did but didn'tn't put enough force to overpower Ederson's lunge.
Fair enough mate. Either way works, I get the logic behind using your leg that closest to the ball but I think if he went sliding in, his whole body would cover the path of the ball, he would have sort of blocked the clearance into goal. He would have gotten hurt either way too.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
"Because Gary Neville says so"

Good one.

He's sprinting full pace to get to the ball before Ederson, when it gets to the point that he has to slide in his standing foot is his right. If you want him to go on in his right it's an extra step and the rotation to get the ball on goal given how it's going across, alternatively he has to slide in earlier.

But thank god we can watch this in slowmo's and pick the right answer :lol:

And he basically didn't pull out of the sprint, the City defender got across just when he's about to control the ball.
Well Gary Neville's a pretty a good authority on such a thing no? Way better then you or I that's for sure.

Do you honestly think if that was say AWB, he'd have gone in the same way?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Only reason he would need to control the ball was if he needed to slow down and wait for the rest of his team. In that situation he should have attacked the ball and just took it in his stride really and put his body in front of the defender. Has to make it harder for the defender there.

kidbob

One of the most pleasing things was the amount of effort he put in today. Hopefully we see a consistent pattern of that because let's be honest the guy is, and always has been incredibly talented. Amazing dribbler, good vision and passing for a centre forward, good pace and an excellent finisher. I think his movement is actually underrated in general but one thing that he, and most of the team, can improve on is the front post runs and gambling for when the ball is being fizzed across the goal. Ighalo is good at this but that is something that be learned at any age (like Rooney with the heading). I also think that he has stuggled without Rashford as a foil (which is understandable) but him and Bruno seem to be hitting it off well and hopefully a fit Pogba for the run in benefits him even more. Been very happy with him overall this season. Much rather him than Lukaku to be honest.

Skills

Snitch
Scored in 15 of the 30 games he's started in. Assisted in another 3. That's fairly consistent in a low scoring team. Once he starts converting a few of the singles into doubles , we've got a 2/3 or even 3/4 type of striker. And that's without penalties.

Status
Not open for further replies.