Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greck

but do you know he's injury prone?

I mean guys, guys guys, the club is aware, what do you want the club to do between now and January? He should play when he's fit or till we get a more healthy option. Anyone who doesn't sink the team chemistry. Till then Rashford and Martial rotation will do

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
but do you know he's injury prone?

I mean guys, guys guys, the club is aware, what do you want the club to do between now and January? He should play when he's fit or till we get a more healthy option. Anyone who doesn't sink the team chemistry. Till then Rashford and Martial rotation will do
@MUFC OK has made sure of that don’t worry.

MUFC OK

@MUFC OK has made sure of that don’t worry.
Have wanted to get really excited about his potential for years but have now accepted he is what he is. Same with Rashford.

Greenwood had that factor where he could become anything in the game and now that's gone too. I'll enjoy the odd goal and good run of form by Martial. That's what we have now.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Have wanted to get really excited about his potential for years but have now accepted he is what he is. Same with Rashford.

Greenwood had that factor where he could become anything in the game and now that's gone too. I'll enjoy the odd goal and good run of form by Martial. That's what we have now.
Okay.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This is his 7th season here and his 9th since breaking into 1st team affairs and we still talking about "potential?"
Of course we are. We haven't been an environment where anybody could reach their potential until now. That's a fact. So yes - Martial still can hit his potential in the right set up, and so far under Ten Hag going back to pre season, he has been a different player. Wouldn't be the first player to hit their potential in their mid 20's. Hell, look at Van Persie, he didn't actually put it together until his late 20's.

Circumstances have panned out where he is still here and he has a chance to put it together this season. If he does, then that is great for us. But it's not all that uncommon for a player his age to put it together, in fact it's far more common than guys like Haaland or Mbappe.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I'd start him vs Everton. Ideal scenario is we can kill the game off in the first 45-60 mins after which we can take him off.

Our next game is against Nicosia midweek again, so we can bring him on from the bench that game.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's been fantastic in every game he's played, starting with pre-season.

Foxbatt

People forget that he is a decent header of the ball too. Only issue I have with him is that he doesn't like to be in the 6 yard box a lot.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
This is his 7th season here and his 9th since breaking into 1st team affairs and we still talking about "potential?"
Firstly, let’s not act as if they were 6 terrible years or anything and secondly, this is often what happens when you sign teenagers. People see them at mid-twenties and then start counting backwards and lamenting over their ‘inconsistency over the years’ - well that’s because they were 21 and 22. We could alternatively exclusively buy 25/26 year olds and get them once they’ve figured it out. Many want us to buy Mitrovic for example. Martial has had ups and downs - but there is no reason at all why it is too late for him to put his game together at mid-twenties. If he can now perform to his consistent best, he’d be a bargain at the 36m we paid for him. Frankly, he already is. That’s the point of going big, early.

Martial has also been a left winger for more than half of his spell here.

Stacks

Firstly, let’s not act as if they were 6 terrible years or anything and secondly, this is often what happens when you sign teenagers. People see them at mid-twenties and then start counting backwards and lamenting over their ‘inconsistency over the years’ - well that’s because they were 21 and 22. We could alternatively exclusively buy 25/26 year olds and get them once they’ve figured it out. Many want us to buy Mitrovic for example. Martial has had ups and downs - but there is no reason at all why it is too late for him to put his game together at mid-twenties. If he can now perform to his consistent best, he’d be a bargain at the 36m we paid for him. Frankly, he already is. That’s the point of going big, early.

Martial has also been a left winger for more than half of his spell here.
Its not the point I was making. Tony has made over 400 appearances thus far in his career and came through as a wonderkid so should be pretty much fulfilled. After he moved from Liverpool, Torres had played less than 400 games for Athletico and Liverpool combined. Its more than enough to develop. Scholes had reached his 400th game by 2004 season at Man Utd. I doubt anyone was talking about Scholes' "huge potential" then. I'm not saying he won't improve because he will. I'm just not expecting it to be much more than what he is hence the "big potential" claim throwing me off as if he is a young player with huge potential still to fulfill.

With transfer inflation I can agree. trash players be going for £50million so £36 million is a steal in hindsight.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Has to start tomorrow night. Even if it’s just for 60 minutes to work him up to match fitness. He always makes a massive different to the way we play, he always makes rashford come alive a bit aswell. I’m eager to see a rashford, martial, Antony front 3. That would give us good balance I think.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I'd start him vs Everton. Ideal scenario is we can kill the game off in the first 45-60 mins after which we can take him off.

Our next game is against Nicosia midweek again, so we can bring him on from the bench that game.
I like your thinking. Only problem is we struggle to kill teams off. We’re very good at making games hard for our selves but not good at controlling and killing off games.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Its not the point I was making. Tony has made over 400 appearances thus far in his career and came through as a wonderkid so should be pretty much fulfilled. After he moved from Liverpool, Torres had played less than 400 games for Athletico and Liverpool combined. Its more than enough to develop. Scholes had reached his 400th game by 2004 season at Man Utd. I doubt anyone was talking about Scholes' "huge potential" then. I'm not saying he won't improve because he will. I'm just not expecting it to be much more than what he is hence the "big potential" claim throwing me off as if he is a young player with huge potential still to fulfill.

With transfer inflation I can agree. trash players be going for £50million so £36 million is a steal in hindsight.
Players all develop differently. Sometimes they don't have a smooth progression. Sometimes they don't get the environment to fulfill their potential earlier. Motivation, fitness etc all plays a part. You point to Torres and guys like him, but you could also point to someone like Suarez who wasn't world class until 25 or so, Van Persie who wasn't world class until 27, Robben who wasn't until 25 or so, etc etc. There are countless examples of players who were inconsistent for a variety of reasons. Most of the time, it's a mixture of fitness and lack of a system to get the best out of him. The fact that Martial was the world golden boy under Van Gaal, struggled under Mourinho, had some very good then bad times under Ole, and now is looking quality under Ten Hag certainly points to him doing better in a specific system, no? Not to mention that right now also, he's definitely looking mentally different to me, hungrier to prove doubters wrong, etc. Fitness is the only concern I have with him right now, as that's hard to control when you get repeated muscle injuries.

Stacks

Players all develop differently. Sometimes they don't have a smooth progression. Sometimes they don't get the environment to fulfill their potential earlier. Motivation, fitness etc all plays a part. You point to Torres and guys like him, but you could also point to someone like Suarez who wasn't world class until 25 or so, Van Persie who wasn't world class until 27, Robben who wasn't until 25 or so, etc etc. There are countless examples of players who were inconsistent for a variety of reasons. Most of the time, it's a mixture of fitness and lack of a system to get the best out of him. The fact that Martial was the world golden boy under Van Gaal, struggled under Mourinho, had some very good then bad times under Ole, and now is looking quality under Ten Hag certainly points to him doing better in a specific system, no? Not to mention that right now also, he's definitely looking mentally different to me, hungrier to prove doubters wrong, etc. Fitness is the only concern I have with him right now, as that's hard to control when you get repeated muscle injuries.
by the end of his Liverpool spell at aged 27, a world class Suarez had only played in 327 first team games to develop in. At age 27 RVP had 275 appearances of development and Robben aged 25 had made only 298 appearances to develop into the world class player he was.
I agree with the 2nd part that Ten Hag way of playing MAY suit Martial more but TBH we haven't exactly adopted his system yet as we still kinda look like we did under previous managers. I feel Jose didnt work with Martial as he probably expended energy playing as an auxiliary FB. Van Gaal just made us give the ball to Martial as much as we could and let him focus on attack like Cristiano under SAF.

Everton 1:2 Man Utd

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Got injured again. I don't know if it was that clash with Pickford and he might have been hit on his Achilles again.

But he did come back on the bench which could be a good sign and he just felt a knock and came off due to being cautious after his recent history with injuries.

Raven

He just can't catch a break. He's turned into an absolute crock. He was playing well until he had to come off as well.

RuudtheRed

Really unfortunate he has become Louis Saha in terms of injuries. Perfectly weighted pass to Antony for the equalizer and hope his injury isn't too serious.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Infuriating, as he is looking class this season. Could be a case of what could have been if he can’t keep fit as this is the best he’s looked in ages.

the_cliff

Shame he got another knock. Wanna see how he does with a nice run of games.

His output so far is very good, he's got 2 goals and 2 assists in the league and it feels like he hasn't played 90 mins in total yet.

Orange Tree

Feck me, taken off injured again.
Hopefully nothing serious and just a caution due to recent injury.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
ETH probably rushed him back because of lack of options but fitness wise he's not there. Still has looked class in the last 3 games but can't be depended on.

Betson

ETH saying it looks like a back injury , hopefully it is not a bad one but back injuries can often take a long time to clear up.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
The good news is that he's managed to still look class despite long injury layoffs this season. He has looked as if he hasn't been away every time he's come back but problem still remains, injuries.

Signs are good though given he came back to the bench. Hoping it was just a knock and he'll be ready to go for the next game. It's crazy that he hasn't completed a full game this season.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He takes us to next level.
His assists + goals is quite crazy considering it's like what, his 3rd injury this season? When he plays, he delivers.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
It might be some hip issues that surfaced before kick off. Hopefully it's nothing too bad. Seems like every other part of his body is breaking somehow. Quite unfortunate.

Status
Not open for further replies.