5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

demetre

He looked great in all his games this season. Also looked fantastic in pre-season. I can see him scoring 25 goals this season. But I can also see him being injured or forgetting how to kick a football.

Always here to be teased by Anthony. He knows my spots.
Aye, he's definitely a "just the tip" player over the course of his United career.

Easily my favourite United player to watch when he's on song though.

Never play him on the RW again though, that was just wrong.

Leonzo1

Played 104 minutes this season, 3 goals and an assist. Terrific player when he is on it. Looking forward to seeing him link up with Antony and Rashford.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
He can do thinks like control the ball, hold a man off and turn to face play. What is this sorcery?

Skills

Snitch
He can do thinks like control the ball, hold a man off and turn to face play. What is this sorcery?
That's the scarcest skillset to find in football at the moment. A striker who can turn with the ball - the first two are relatively common, but if you can't turn your man it's not very effective.

Longlivekeano

I think Martial is desperate to go to the World Cup after being dropped in the previous one, where France went on to win the whole thing.

so Le Sulk is now Los Desperados. Hope he will explode into form between now and end of the year .

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Funny to suggest it is him, but he's arguably our most important player. I remember I said it before the season and people thought I was crazy, but I said he was potentially going to be our most important simply due to the fact that of course he has big potential, but also he has all the qualities Ten Hag loves as a striker and what nobody else has. And to replace the level he can play at for us, you'd need a 80m striker minimum basically.

croadyman

We still need that striker who can bully defenders and has a presence in the box, however Tony shouldn't see that guy as a threat because they offer different things.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Funny to suggest it is him, but he's arguably our most important player. I remember I said it before the season and people thought I was crazy, but I said he was potentially going to be our most important simply due to the fact that of course he has big potential, but also he has all the qualities Ten Hag loves as a striker and what nobody else has. And to replace the level he can play at for us, you'd need a 80m striker minimum basically.
If he stays fit and plays like he did in 2019-20 then he will be our most important player. He is the only CF we have who has the ability to hold the ball, link up the play and also can dribble past players. If Rashford or Ronaldo plays as CF, it's like ball hitting the wall, move dies quickly, we can't build the game properly as we don't have proper outlet to lead the attack.

With Martial, he has strength to hold the CBs and also links up well with other attackers.

Lot depends on which Martial turns up, things are looking very promising from preseason (except the freak injury)

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He deserves his first team spot at this point.

CM

Has to start on Sunday. Him and Rashford were the only ones who played anywhere close to the level you'd expect of them last night. Those two and Antony in a front three please.

Baxter

I’m glad that ETH seems to be phasing him back in carefully after the problems he’s had in the past.

Kramer

Please stay fit and please maintain this kind of form.

We really need you Tony!

Kag

His fitness has been a bigger issue than his form over the past two years. Fix one and you usually fix the other. The issue is that his fitness is terrible.

It’s clear that Ten Hag likes him.

Pickle85

Have to confess that I'd written him off. Really, really hope he continues to kick on now. He's a cracking player on song

STYLOISRED

Martial is the ONLY true striker we have. He has to stay fit because he makes everyone around him better.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Said before but it is massively taken for granted that we can just go and buy a better striker to replace him. In fact, I don’t think any striker we can realistically buy is better than him. Some are a bit faster but then lack his technique and link up play, like Osimhen. Others have his link up and hold up play but lack his pace like Mitrovic (or Kane even). None are able to really guarantee more than 18 goals a season either IMO, no more so than Martial. Even Kane I’m not fully convinced about. He’s a brilliant player in certain conditions, but he’s a bit of a flat-track stat padder for me.

Lee565

Played 104 minutes this season, 3 goals and an assist. Terrific player when he is on it. Looking forward to seeing him link up with Antony and Rashford.
Who needs haaland.

In all seriousness, hopefully martial is having one of his infrequent good seasons this season

Olecurls99

Said before but it is massively taken for granted that we can just go and buy a better striker to replace him. In fact, I don’t think any striker we can realistically buy is better than him. Some are a bit faster but then lack his technique and link up play, like Osimhen. Others have his link up and hold up play but lack his pace like Mitrovic (or Kane even). None are able to really guarantee more than 18 goals a season either IMO, no more so than Martial. Even Kane I’m not fully convinced about. He’s a brilliant player in certain conditions, but he’s a bit of a flat-track stat padder for me.
Don't agree with the Kane thing but I do agree that there are few better players we could sign. If we were watching him doing this stuff at Monaco now, he would cost us 80m plus.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Don't agree with the Kane thing but I do agree that there are few better players we could sign. If we were watching him doing this stuff at Monaco now, he would cost us 80m plus.
Kane has been a player who, as a United fan, I can say has never scared me over his career. Certainly at any moment we’ve had a bit of function to us. I always thought ‘he can’t do anything to Smalling’ simply because Smalling was stronger and faster - and invariably, that turned out to be the case. You watch him in big games for England - he’s too often a passenger on the pitch. He’s somehow about to become England’s top ever scorer despite never really looking that great IMO. Even his WC Golden Boot was a typical one for me, a bunch of pens, a ricochet against some Panamanians or whatever. The media going on about him ‘doing it again in the NL derby’ on Saturday after another penalty and generally anonymous performance.

When the going is good and Spurs are totally dominant against a Newcastle or Leicester, you see the brilliance he is capable of. In your typical Spurs vs Liverpool game, he’s no threat. Everyone is scared of Son. He’s the one that teams know can hurt them. Kane is good, but very easily nullified when games are not totally tilted in Spurs’ favour.

That’s just my take anyway. I think Kane would have been great at City. It’s a team that allows good players to show their absolute best. He can finish and will be presented with many opportunities to do so and would get ridiculous numbers. But he’s a stat padder who takes about 3 months off every season doing absolutely nothing and being invisible, before a late stat surge that sees him plundering the likes of Bournemouth and Burnley.

Greck

I’m glad that ETH seems to be phasing him back in carefully after the problems he’s had in the past.
Ole; If he has one leg he can kick a football. Fast tracked to 90 minutes. He had no confidence in his ability to get a result beyond the same XI.

Stacks

This is his 7th season here and his 9th since breaking into 1st team affairs and we still talking about "potential?"

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Said it a few months ago that the player I would compare him to is Benzema. Both deceptively very strong and great with their back to goal, good link up and can dribble. Benzema is far more consistent and wider array of finishing.

MUFC OK

Can we start a poll for how many games until he gets injured again?

Suggested options:
0-3 matches
4-9 matches
10-15 matches.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Said it a few months ago that the player I would compare him to is Benzema. Both deceptively very strong and great with their back to goal, good link up and can dribble. Benzema is far more consistent and wider array of finishing.
Indeed, he does have some similarities to Benzema. He’s about to be 27 now too, he still has a lot of football ahead of him. People are frustrated, but I don’t see much greener grass on the market personally. We’d go and splash 100m on a Nunez or Martinez just for the opportunity to have some unknown again that people can oin some hope to. But in reality, these are not better strikers, give or take form. None of those linked are better strikers IMO. If Martial himself has given up on being a player, or has had a career changing injury - then that’s different. But that isn’t the case, so there is absolutely no reason why it cannot be expected he returns to his best form.

MUFC OK

Keeping him fit will be the challenge
it's not possible.

On the positive side though you've been able to tell early on whether he'd be a success under each of our previous managers. He's pretty much been consistent (good or bad) under each from the start. ETH seems to be a good fit, so expect him to be valuable when he does play.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Kane has been a player who, as a United fan, I can say has never scared me over his career. Certainly at any moment we’ve had a bit of function to us. I always thought ‘he can’t do anything to Smalling’ simply because Smalling was stronger and faster - and invariably, that turned out to be the case. You watch him in big games for England - he’s too often a passenger on the pitch. He’s somehow about to become England’s top ever scorer despite never really looking that great IMO. Even his WC Golden Boot was a typical one for me, a bunch of pens, a ricochet against some Panamanians or whatever. The media going on about him ‘doing it again in the NL derby’ on Saturday after another penalty and generally anonymous performance.

When the going is good and Spurs are totally dominant against a Newcastle or Leicester, you see the brilliance he is capable of. In your typical Spurs vs Liverpool game, he’s no threat. Everyone is scared of Son. He’s the one that teams know can hurt them. Kane is good, but very easily nullified when games are not totally tilted in Spurs’ favour.

That’s just my take anyway. I think Kane would have been great at City. It’s a team that allows good players to show their absolute best. He can finish and will be presented with many opportunities to do so and would get ridiculous numbers. But he’s a stat padder who takes about 3 months off every season doing absolutely nothing and being invisible, before a late stat surge that sees him plundering the likes of Bournemouth and Burnley.
Hard to argue in favour of Martial over Kane considering Kane has ranged from very good to great every year since 2014. In his worst season, he had 18 goals and 2 assists in the PL. Martial at 27 have only had more than 10 goals in the PL once (17 goals in 19/20).

But I actually agree that Martials potential is up there. And I also feel that luck/chance is underrated. I said at the time we hired Mourinho that the young talents at the time would suffer (Martial, Rashford and Shaw). And I’m not convinced Solskjaer was that much better for them. Consequently, it will be really interesting to see what a great coach can do for them.

What would have been de Bruynes or Salahs standing in football have been if they joined Man Utd in 2015 or 2016? We will never know for sure, but I really dont think any of them would have been great today.

Status
Not open for further replies.