5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottynaldinho

Martial is a unique player. Even though he has relatively poor goal scoring record to go with his abysmal fitness and piss poor attitude. You still feel like it will all come together for him at some point.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Martial was here this year as the clear first choice since pre season though, it’s not as if we kept him on that wage intending on using him as a spare 3rd option. The season before as soon as it was evident that he wasn’t getting games ahead of Cavani, Ronaldo and Greenwood (which is a clusterfeck of a situation), he left on loan to Sevilla, and Greenwood was never officially part of the CF rotation, he was more of a wide forward in selection, so effectively Martial left when there were two players ahead of him in the pecking order.

And we don’t know what sort of budget we are playing around with in the summer. We need (urgently) a striker, a playmaking CM, another CB (assuming one of Maguire/Lindelof leaves) and (possibly) a new keeper, RB. That’s a lot of positions needing investment in that getting in a young prospect good enough to be a PL back up might just be out of our reach, without selling/vacating the wage bill.

Realistically, I think he will be here next season as 2nd choice because his wage/injury record will prove a stumbling block to most teams. But in the event we do get in 2 strikers, then that’s probably it for Martial, whether it’s via a straight sale or another loan. And while a few are clearly irrational with their desire to sell him or their armchair psychoanalysis of his mood/behavior, the point that it’s risky having a player with his injury record as part of rotation in a position so vital is fundamentally sound.
Bottom line is I think trying to sell him is idiotic for what his market value probably is, unless we are so skint this summer that we REALLY need the extra cash his wages would save (in that case we are fecked anyways). I'd rather have a player that can play at a potentially elite level for 20-25 matches for us than sell him for 10m to go grab the equivalent of Callum Wilson to play FA cup games and downgrade the entire quality of the team just because he might be a bit more available, especially when Rashford has shown a marked improvement being able to fill in up top as well. IF we do get rid of him in the summer, then not signing a real quality young prospect behind whoever our starting striker is next season will be unforgiveable, as in that case we'd be right back at square one praying our one striker doesn't get hurt and feck us over.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
There is a mental thread that suggests selling Bruno and Rashford. Our recruitment record says we should hang on to any decent players we have.
It’s just where we are at as a club, everyone else has better than what we have. I myself have advocated for Bruno and Rashford to be sold at some point. In truth, it’s just idiocy on my part to be honest.
We will never get to the right standard if we don’t have markers at the club. AWB is a prime example we all thought is miles behind Dalot but as the season progressed we’ve come to the realisation there is not much of a difference there. Cutting loose and putting all our eggs in the basket of a player we’ve not seen in our environment yet, is riskier than keeping the guys whose bottom level already we know as competition or reference is not the worst idea.
I’d like to see a new striker but let him prove to us he is better than the Martial we already know. Same applies to every other position. As much as loved LVG and the direction he was taking but we shoulda learnt enough from him gutting the squad off solid enough footballers.

Pickle85

It’s not when the alternative is selling him for essentially nothing and then either not replacing him at all or bringing in close to a Weghorst level player that would be happy being a third option.

How do you not understand the risk/reward at play here? In this scenario we aren’t “relying on him” the same way we were this year as a #1 option
Why do you think the alternatives are either not replacing him or bringing in a close to weghorst option? If we sold him for next to nothing, we free up money that we otherwise would have spunked on his wages for another player. Instead of carrying a permcrock that will feature sporadically if at all on 250k a week. How do you not understand the issue there?

Your martial infatuation is a really weird one. On his day he's great. But he's nearly always injured and costs a fortune for someone on the treatment table. It's not that tricky to see the issue.

Last edited:

meamth

Martial is a unique player. Even though he has relatively poor goal scoring record to go with his abysmal fitness and piss poor attitude. You still feel like it will all come together for him at some point.
He has arguably one of the best goals to minute ratio, it's the injuries that stopped him. He is not poor in front of goal, more often than not he has good finishing and composure.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
We are going to need him 100% fit and sharp and finish the entire game if we want to get the win we need at Sevilla. Do we wrap him up in cotton wool for the trip to Forest and then start him at Sevilla?
My guess is he'll come on for the final 30 minutes or so against Forest, although my worry is that we've got so many injuries that ETH will feel the need to start him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We are going to need him 100% fit and sharp and finish the entire game if we want to get the win we need at Sevilla. Do we wrap him up in cotton wool for the trip to Forest and then start him at Sevilla?
I’d rather start him and take him at half time.

RopersReturn

It was never in doubt that he’s a quality striker but one who’s just been so unlucky with injuries. In likelihood that ETH will be looking for a proven no9 this summer, a good run of form could at least guarantee Martial a future here.

ti vu

Why do you think the alternatives are either not replacing him or bringing in a close to weghorst option? If we sold him for next to nothing, we free up money that we otherwise would have spunked on his wages for another player. Instead of carrying a permcrock that will feature sporadically if at all on 250k a week. How do you not understand the issue there?

Your martial infatuation is a really weird one. On his day he's great. But he's nearly always injured and costs a fortune for someone on the treatment table. It's not that tricky to see the issue.
If my calculation is correct, 250k per week wage would be 12-13mil. Martial would be in his final year next season, so unlikely we would get anything selling him. It's a big wage no doubt, but if you reinvest toward the new back up wage, and a transfer fee, it may cost some more out of the pocket.

The tricky part with the back up forward is not availability, but finding someone who good enough but can be tamed to stay put on the bench. Many players wouldn't come knowing they're destined for the bench. Proven quality players can come with expensive package and their own (fitness/injury) issue like Cavani. Next you have to take punts with the like of Ighalo, Weghorst who love to come here, but their quality is questionable.

Last season we had a bloated squad in forward position. However, right now our option is bare thin. That's the context we need to look at. Until the future starter and the back up forward perform up to task, it's no big deal having known quality third choice as insurance. Make use of his value for the team even how few it is is better than desperately put us in sellers' (agents) mercy.

Pickle85

If my calculation is correct, 250k per week wage would be 12-13mil. Martial would be in his final year next season, so unlikely we would get anything selling him. It's a big wage no doubt, but if you reinvest toward the new back up wage, and a transfer fee, it may cost some more out of the pocket.

The tricky part with the back up forward is not availability, but finding someone who good enough but can be tamed to stay put on the bench. Many players wouldn't come knowing they're destined for the bench. Proven quality players can come with expensive package and their own (fitness/injury) issue like Cavani. Next you have to take punts with the like of Ighalo, Weghorst who love to come here, but their quality is questionable.

Last season we had a bloated squad in forward position. However, right now our option is bare thin. That's the context we need to look at. Until the future starter and the back up forward perform up to task, it's no big deal having known quality third choice as insurance. Make use of his value for the team even how few it is is better than desperately put us in sellers' (agents) mercy.
I can see what you're saying here. I just think that, given his track record and relative inconsistency, taking a punt on him staying fit doesn't make much sense. I would rather put that money towards someone that's likely to be available to feature week in, week out.

Also, @Valencia Shin Crosses must have a VERY different definition to me as to what constitutes an elite player. Martial has never been an elite player...very good at times, sure...so I don't know why he would suddenly become one now. He's getting all giddy after a decent performance against a bang average Seville side.

RedIan

He has to play v Forest, i see this game as just as important as the Seville match. Manage his minutes but if hes fit he plays. Hes missed enough games being unfit!

NLunited

Looked great against Sevilla, I was impressed with how he worked for the team. If only he could stay fit.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I can see what you're saying here. I just think that, given his track record and relative inconsistency, taking a punt on him staying fit doesn't make much sense. I would rather put that money towards someone that's likely to be available to feature week in, week out.

Also, @Valencia Shin Crosses must have a VERY different definition to me as to what constitutes an elite player. Martial has never been an elite player...very good at times, sure...so I don't know why he would suddenly become one now. He's getting all giddy after a decent performance against a bang average Seville side.
I never said he’s an elite player, I said he’s a player capable of elite performances when fit (which is a way higher ceiling than most bench option types will have), and gives you a baseline elite level of technicality that our squad cries out for with how little we have of it else where.

Bobski

So where can we find a player like Martial who can stay fit and has a high work rate?

I really hope we don't go for a one dimensional scorer, need someone who can link it together and bring the best out of Rashford and Antony.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Better side with him , no doubt about that. If only he had that killer instinct in the box.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Seeing Weggy’s difficulty in controlling the ball first time, shows the difference with him and Martial. Remains incredibly frustrating to watch and could do more, but if reports are true about him staying next year with another no9 joining I think we’d be happy with the options.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
What a difference he makes for us. It's actually insane to see where we are despite the championship level performances at striker this season, and then see what's been on the injury table all year... Please god stay fit. Makes as much of a difference as Casemiro or Rashford does tbh.

Stadjer

Directly involved in 4/6 of our goals since he came back into the side.

Was unlucky with that header just before he went off.
Dont think that is unlucky, he just isnt that great at heading. He is great at other things though. I think that Martial would have been a fantasic player in the 2 striker era, Martial dropping deep and a poacher type player doing the scoring. Martial is great at dropping into midfield and holding up the ball but he does miss a bit of that pure striker instinct to be at the right spot for a tap in.

Hopefully he can stay fit because Weghorst and Martial is a difference like night and day.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Directly involved in 4/6 of our goals since he came back into the side.
Unsurprising. He’s at the hub of everything good whenever he plays.

Just so fecking annoying we don’t have Rashford at the same time now!

Jev

The best thing about him is that he is both clever and unselfish. Many of our attackers suffer from either selfishness (Rashford), poor decision-making (Sancho, Bruno), or both (Antony). It's so refreshing having a player like Martial who has both the skill, the quick-thinking and the sensibility to do the right thing for the team almost every time he gets the ball. It's one of the reasons why I'm looking forward to seeing Amad for us, imagine the kind of football we could produce with him, Eriksen and Martial on the pitch at the same time.

Swedish_Plumber

He’s had loads of chances and hasn’t done himself any favours but I can’t help wondering what his United career would’ve looked like had we got a ten hag figure in around the same time he came here.

BuzzKillington

Classic Martial performance today, looks absolute quality when he’s on it but just disappears for prolonged lengths of time. Need to wrap him in cotton wool for the rest of the season, the drop off from him to WW is an abyss.

Walters_19_MuFc

Up against a very aggressive defender today. Had some moments where he could have been a bit stronger, but all in all, he did well, contributing heavily in the first goal. Should have probably had a goal himself but I'll put that down to lack of sharpness.

vanrooney

really hope he can stay fit until the end of the season and would wish for him to stay with a second strong young first team option. someone like greenwood in a football sense would be perfect

Valencia Shin Crosses

He’s had loads of chances and hasn’t done himself any favours but I can’t help wondering what his United career would’ve looked like had we got a ten hag figure in around the same time he came here.
If ETH had been around when Martial was at his peak (19/20) we might have seen a different career out of him.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Really good again today. Unlucky to not score with the left footed shot that Antony followed up, made some nice tackles from the front. Should have put the header on target but other than that another easy 7/10. Just notable how much more in control we are when he's on the pitch as you actually have a striker for the midfielders and wingers to play off of.

Strelok

Another very good performance he's been playing very well since his comeback imo. Now just stay fit. What a shame Rashford is out now. Our attack would be much more dangerous with both playing.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Good to see Ten Hag ramping up his minutes. Hopefully he'll stay fit and be able to complete full games.

Should have scored the header.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Yeah, same thing crossed my mind when I was watching the game today.

waza7111

It's true that we play better when Martial starts.

If he could stay fit he'd be a really useful player.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Classic Martial performance today, looks absolute quality when he’s on it but just disappears for prolonged lengths of time. Need to wrap him in cotton wool for the rest of the season, the drop off from him to WW is an abyss.
Also his usual lack of runs in behind and inability to get on the end of crosses in the box. A goal poacher he is not. Not a bad performance but he’s never going to be a complete striker, is he?

Longshanks

I thought he was very good. Hold up and link up was outstanding and a big reason that Forest simply couldn't cope with our attack today.

Should of buried his header before he went off would be my only complaint, but he is threating to find his best form just when we need him too, let's hope he stays fit till the end of the season.

Red00012

Should have scored just been before been subbed but great pressing for the opener

Status
Not open for further replies.