g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Antonio Valencia image 25

Antonio Valencia Ecuador flag

2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Tony V the better defender? He's doing a decent job right now but people really are quick to change their mind, arent they? Rafael is the much better defender and RB

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I like the player performance stuff at the top of these threads. Valencia's 5.3 rating is a disgrace, mind you.

Been a versatile, reliable and consistent performer for us this season. I'd still pick a fully fit Rafael ahead of him but it's great to have a player who can do such a solid job at fullback when needed, as well as provide cover for at least two other positions.

finneh

I like the player performance stuff at the top of these threads. Valencia's 5.3 rating is a disgrace, mind you.

Been a versatile, reliable and consistent performer for us this season. I'd still pick a fully fit Rafael ahead of him but it's great to have a player who can do such a solid job at fullback when needed, as well as provide cover for at least two other positions.
It's the one player thread that my average rating is way different to the Cafe average. Mine is 6.3; whilst the average is 5.3

I am not his biggest fan but he's performed well at right back this season and is starting to prove a more than adequate second choice RB.

Pogue Mahone

It's the one player thread that my average rating is way different to the Cafe average. Mine is 6.3; whilst the average is 5.3

I am not his biggest fan but he's performed well at right back this season and is starting to prove a more than adequate second choice RB.
Good man yourself. We all have players that - for whatever reason - we don't rate very highly but it boils my piss when these prejudices are so strong that we can't see past them to acknowledge good performances when they happen.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
On that note, these player ratings things should be banned until 24 hrs after the game to prevent rage voting if you want a reasonably accurate picture. Some of the rating averages are inexplicable.

bugmat

Good man yourself. We all have players that - for whatever reason - we don't rate very highly but it boils my piss when these prejudices are so strong that we can't see past them to acknowledge good performances when they happen.
The CAF rating is pretty irrelevant anyway by themselves - I'd rather a comparison of these user ratings vs statistical impact from fourfourtwo, squawka or whoscored. For the most part they'll only tell you who the scapegoats are.

AV's done very well and each game he's improved at RB - I no longer see the constant ball-watching that marked him out as a poorly converted rightback and right now he is doing a good job while Rafael is out. Still I'd like to see Rafael freaking fit for at least 6 games running! AV had a great game the first time Herrera got injured doing the shuttling role int eh diamon and I prefer him there (as back up to Aner) where his pressing and pace are useful..AND any ballwatching that may return to his game will have less impact.

Dante

Average bang
I'm still yet to be convinced he can win a header. He's alright against the likes of Hull when Fellaini is in the team, but he'd be a liability on set pieces against most sides.

Pogue Mahone

The CAF rating is pretty irrelevant anyway by themselves - I'd rather a comparison of these user ratings vs statistical impact from fourfourtwo, squawka or whoscored. For the most part they'll only tell you who the scapegoats are.

AV's done very well and each game he's improved at RB - I no longer see the constant ball-watching that marked him out as a poorly converted rightback and right now he is doing a good job while Rafael is out. Still I'd like to see Rafael freaking fit for at least 6 games running! AV had a great game the first time Herrera got injured doing the shuttling role int eh diamon and I prefer him there (as back up to Aner) where his pressing and pace are useful..AND any ballwatching that may return to his game will have less impact.
Yeah, that's a good point. He was really ropey, defensively, in his first few games at fullback but seems to be mastering the role more and more with each game he plays. Obviously an intelligent footballer who is willing to learn. Something Van Gaal will definitely appreciate.

Walters_19_MuFc

I don't think Tony gets enough praise, in my opinion. I know he hasn't been the same Valencia of a few years ago, but he just gets on with things, never moans, and always gives 110%, which is what I like to see from the players. Great professional, and an important member to the squad.

Phil Duck

Never understood the hatred for him, always seemed like a decent winger and a good back up right back to have. Somehow people expect him to be like Messi or something.

Blue always red

His crossing is the only thing that is lacking now. The amount of potential counter attacks we could have when Tony brilliantly nicks the ball and gets on his bike...

His positioning on corners is the best man management I have seen from LVG so far. Sits on the halfway line and because of his defensive ability and pace, he's always first to the ball when the opposition clear it out. Actually superb from LVG.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'd be interested to know which United player had the most touches in that game. Seemed like everything would go through Valencia...
I saw a chart of the average positions of everyone, and everything was shifted over to the right flank predominantly. Carrick had by far the most touches though, at like 125.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
On that note, these player ratings things should be banned until 24 hrs after the game to prevent rage voting if you want a reasonably accurate picture. Some of the rating averages are inexplicable.
I might be responsible. :nervous:
My grades do not reflects what i think overall. Except for Evans.

Gannicus

he's fine as a backup for rafa, but he should not be counted to do anything else.
This is about right. I think of Valencia as a more athletic version of O'Shea, able to be slotted in almost anywhere there's a pressing need due to an injury or suspension crisis.

One thing I'd really like Tony to work on stop smashing the ball into the ankles of defenders. Other than that, no serious complaints from me on Valencia as a solid squad man.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys

Not enough left-footers for van Gaal?
I personally think that this has nothing to do with Van Gaal for reasons that I will outline below. In my theory, Antonio Valencia has an identical twin brother who is left footed and just as good at football but opposite in terms of his personality and crucially, he never quite got the breaks that Antonio got. His brother may well have murdered poor Antonio one day in a fit of jealousy because of Antonio's blossoming career in football that had now found him loved by millions around the world and earning loads of money at Manchester United... to cover up the murder, and to live the life he always craved, he took his brothers identity. The only problem for him was that in order to make sure no one became wise of his ruse, he had to play as a completely right footed footballer just as his brother did. This was not an easy task for him and he never quite managed to become focus of the adulation that his late brother had received. The keen eyed among us can see it occasionally, when "Antonio" forgets that he's meant to be right footed for a fleeting moment....

bugmat

He can also do a job in midfield if we're on our last legs, as seen against Everton, where I thought he had a really good game.
He's (imo) better there than Rb. Probably due to him playing there several times for Ecuador during their last qualifying campaign.

ottosec

I thought he did good today, ran past players, even had a couple of good crosses.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Need to see replays but looked like Van Persie and Falcao both missed very presentable chances from Valencia crosses.
They were bullets. I think Valencia was adequate going forward, but poor moving forward. A squad player, namely Rafael's backup at most.

Ixion

Terrible crosses and still can't take a throw-in. Did OK apart from that though.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Need to see replays but looked like Van Persie and Falcao both missed very presentable chances from Valencia crosses.
He fizzes crosses in without really looking where our strikers are. It's more pot luck than anything if someone can get on the end of those. What happened to those decent crosses of 09/10...

Devil may care

I thought the second half was the best half he's played in a dogs age as far as attacking goes, he looked to have some old spark back when he got one on one with the opposite FB.

ZDwyr

Solid again. Doing well. Was a matter of time before he got pulled up for his throwing but oh well.