Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Antony works hard for the side. How many times has Sancho actually done his defensive duty. People say Antony kills the attack, I say Sancho is worse. Both Antony and Sancho are not direct but Antony links up well with players around and keeps the ball well. Sancho looks like someone who is afraid to win any 50/50 duel. Not going to pretend Antony is a world beater but give me a Antony anyday than Sancho
No doubts about that. But you can't argue he's getting better numbers or is "far more dangerous player" because this simply isn't true however you look at things. He runs a lot and is more involved in general than Sancho. But that's hardly a case to be named a better attacker than Sancho. They are both on similar level and there's very little between them in terms of attacking contribution.

AshRK

No doubts about that. But you can't argue he's getting better numbers or is "far more dangerous player" because this simply isn't true however you look at things. He runs a lot and is more involved in general than Sancho. But that's hardly a case to be named a better attacker than Sancho. They are both on similar level and there's very little between them in terms of attacking contribution.
I don't think I made any numbers argument because both have been poor in that aspect. Although I still think if Antony reaches 10 goals in all competitions, it's not a bad debut season. Just that his price was outrageous so naturally we expect him to deliver more.

My point was beyond numbers and was just a general statement that I rather would have Antony than this version of Sancho. I didn't see sancho in Bundesliga so can't commenr but I just don't see with Sancho. What is he even good at? His bodylanguage looks off, his lack of efforts winning 50/50 duel is shocking. Atleast with Antony he tracks back, makes some good runs, fights for the ball. I know these things are basic but I don't even see the basic with Sancho. That's why I said Antony on his bad day is better than this version of Sancho.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't think I made any numbers argument because both have been poor in that aspect. Although I still think if Antony reaches 10 goals in all competitions, it's not a bad debut season. Just that his price was outrageous so naturally we expect him to deliver more.

My point was beyond numbers and was just a general statement that I rather would have Antony than this version of Sancho. I didn't see sancho in Bundesliga so can't commenr but I just don't see with Sancho. What is he even good at? His bodylanguage looks off, his lack of efforts winning 50/50 duel is shocking. Atleast with Antony he tracks back, makes some good runs, fights for the ball. I know these things are basic but I don't even see the basic with Sancho. That's why I said Antony on his bad day is better than this version of Sancho.
On the bolded part - I was discussing with another user who concluded Antony is "far more dangerous" than Sancho what is definitely not true.
Antony is getting the numbers just like any other attacker would be getting playing for United. Unless you're Wout Weghorst, you will be scoring/assisting in this team.

On the rest of your post - I fully agree. "Beyond numbers" there's little to argue about, Antony is clearly much more useful for us now. I don't think it's an interesting point to argue, but it will be more interesting to see if IN THE FUTURE Antony is the kind of winger we really need. I have serious doubts about that.

On Sancho - I would look to offload him this summer. It is not clear what he brings to the team that others don't. He's unfortunately not a good fit for Premier League. And I think we can get decent money for him, while I don't believe it's the case for Antony (who's probably also on much lower wages).

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sancho (80m)
Martial (50m)
Antony (90m)
v
Rashford (free)
Weghorst (free)
Garnacho (free)

No wonder this club can never move on. We can blame the glazers an all day, but the transfer policy has been shocking.
How is that not their fault?

redcucumber

Sancho (80m)
Martial (50m)
Antony (90m)
v
Rashford (free)
Weghorst (free)
Garnacho (free)

No wonder this club can never move on. We can blame the glazers an all day, but the transfer policy has been shocking.
Casemiro (70m)
Martinez (50m)
v
McTominay (free)
Paddy McNair/literally nobody

Move on from what? The Glazers are the ones that employ the people that dictate transfer policy.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
What I don’t understand is why his passing is so safe. Even if he is lacking confidence to take on defenders due to the big jump in quality, from the clips his passing / link up appeared to be one of his strengths. While he is good at linking up he doesn’t really play creative passes that lead to chances.

Anustart89

Said it when we signed him - Its bonkers to throw that ridiculous amount of money on a player from a Dutch league.
That is such a poor and ridiculous generalisation. For example, had we spent £80m on Martinez it still would’ve looked like a good transfer. And you would never say “it’s bonkers to throw that ridiculous amount of money on a player from an English league”, despite the fact that the transfers that have cost that much (Maguire and Grealish) have hardly justified their transfer fees.

What you seen to be saying is “spending too much on a player that’s not worth that amount of money is bonkers”, which is only possible to know in hindsight and is like saying that water is wet.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
That is such a poor and ridiculous generalisation. For example, had we spent £80m on Martinez it still would’ve looked like a good transfer. And you would never say “it’s bonkers to throw that ridiculous amount of money on a player from an English league”, despite the fact that the transfers that have cost that much (Maguire and Grealish) have hardly justified their transfer fees.

What you seen to be saying is “spending too much on a player that’s not worth that amount of money is bonkers”, which is only possible to know in hindsight and is like saying that water is wet.
It's always a risk but you pay for potential. For example paying 85m for Sancho seemed like a good idea, he looked like the next big stage player. It didn't work out so far but that's on Jadon himself. I don't think the club is to blame for this.
Martinez for 57m was risky but he seemed highly rated left footed centre back, seems like a fair price.
Antony for 95m is just bonkers though, both his success or failure will be totally on Ten Hag simply because quite a lot of people, including Ajax/NL league fans in here had big big concerns about him.

Cloud7

Sancho (80m)
Martial (50m)
Antony (90m)
v
Rashford (free)
Weghorst (free)
Garnacho (free)

Martial had the potential to be one of the best attackers in world football. He's just always injured. He showed far more periods of promise and actual productivity than the other two have. He should not be put alongside them.

MiceOnMeth

Sancho (80m)
Martial (50m)
Antony (90m)
v
Rashford (free)
Weghorst (free)
Garnacho (free)

:lol:@ the hate boner this place has for Martial

wangyu

Martial surely was the most talented one of the bunch, he even had a couple of good seasons.

Skills

Snitch
Sancho is a bigger disappointment because he actually looked like a very good player prior to coming here. It just hasn't translated for whatever reason.

Antony looks the same player he did at Ajax. It's just baffling why we ever went for him in the first place

JuriM

Injured again? Hopefully nothing too major, we can't lose anyone atm.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Hope to see more passes like that one to Shaw against Southampton. If they see him as a threat from those cut ins then it should draw more defenders over and make space on the other side.

saivet

Injured again? Hopefully nothing too major, we can't lose anyone atm.
We'll know for certain later today at the presser. At worst, let's hope Betis and Fulham are the only games he misses.

lsd

The Oracle
Oh no how will we cope without the most predictable and least effective winger in football?

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
The only benefit of the doubt I'll give Antony is that crossing to Weghorst is hardly a good path to goal. He's barely in the box in a timely manner, much less a threat.

That said, you'd expect at least some of his crosses to have been converted by Bruno or Rashford from the other side.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
We all know that very much like Roben, he can cut in and has a dangerous left foot. But if he wants to score like that more often, then he needs to mix it up. He really needs to work on taking his man on the outside, and crossing it in with his right foot. If he can do this, and start adding assists to his game, then he will start scoring more. As it is now, he's a one trick pony and everyone knows it...

red.knight

We can’t use his price tag because we all know Ajax took us to the cleaners for him because we’d already poached ETH and Martinez at that point. The only factor we can use, the only question we can ask is, “Is Antony a Man Utd standard player?” Let’s be honest, the jury is very much out. We all hope he is. Yes he’s scored 7 goals and one assist but apart from that his output from game to game has been unconvincing to say the least. His top speed seems low, he seems to be a one trick pony who’s been figured out very early, his work rate is average. He’s got a lot of areas to improve on but it’s his first season and I’ll give him a chance.

DownRiver

This is atrocious. He is playing at Man Utd ffs.

I do not understand for the life of me why we don’t have scouts that find talents like Mitoma? Is it worth the money to spend 30m on scouting than to spend 80m on buying him, while the selling team reap all the rewards (who will then buy three of his type in the next transfer window)?

Irwin99

How did you come about that conclusion? Everytime I see them Sancho looks much more like creating a chance. His numbers in EPL are better, although they are quite close.
I think the key thing that distinguishes them is that Antony is never anonymous- he might be making fans want to scream at how frustrating and annoying he is sometimes but he's always there in the game and he plays it with a bit of an attitude/aggression that is always good to see. His assist and chance creation stats are very disappointing, though i still think he'll reach 10 goals for the season which isn't bad going.

Sancho on the other hand, just seems to disappear from games. I honestly forget he's playing half the time when he does start and when he gets subbed there's always the same feeling that he hasn't impacted the game enough. Antony by contrast has usually been involved (for good or bad).

Irwin99

I think the key thing that distinguishes them is that Antony is never anonymous- he might be making fans want to scream at how frustrating and annoying he is sometimes but he's always there in the game and he plays it with a bit of an attitude/aggression that is always good to see. His assist and chance creation stats are very disappointing, though i still think he'll reach 10 goals for the season which isn't bad going.

Sancho on the other hand, just seems to disappear from games. I honestly forget he's playing half the time when he does start and when he gets subbed there's always the same feeling that he hasn't impacted the game enough. Antony by contrast has usually been involved (for good or bad).
On the bolded part - I was discussing with another user who concluded Antony is "far more dangerous" than Sancho what is definitely not true.
Antony is getting the numbers just like any other attacker would be getting playing for United. Unless you're Wout Weghorst, you will be scoring/assisting in this team.

On the rest of your post - I fully agree. "Beyond numbers" there's little to argue about, Antony is clearly much more useful for us now. I don't think it's an interesting point to argue, but it will be more interesting to see if IN THE FUTURE Antony is the kind of winger we really need. I have serious doubts about that.

On Sancho - I would look to offload him this summer. It is not clear what he brings to the team that others don't. He's unfortunately not a good fit for Premier League. And I think we can get decent money for him, while I don't believe it's the case for Antony (who's probably also on much lower wages).

Sorry i didn't see your other post in here which basically agrees on Antony being better for the team beyond number stats . My bad!

SirMonteyne

You are describing a player we could find for less than $1m from championships.

El Jefe

What do you make of this?

Didn't even need the stats to back up that he's toothless in chance creation but it's good to see that the stats paint the same picture.

No doubt some blame his right backs for not being Cafu reborn but I look at the players on that list and how many have speedy overlapping fullbacks?

El Zoido

I just don’t know how a player can be so one-footed. Even Valencia wasn’t this bad. There’s no excuse for a £90m player earning millions at the biggest club in the world to be so incapable of using his right foot. When you add in the amount of injuries he’s had, it’s starting to feel like we’ve been had.

b82REZ

I just don’t know how a player can be so one-footed. Even Valencia wasn’t this bad. There’s no excuse for a £90m player earning millions at the biggest club in the world to be so incapable of using his right foot. When you add in the amount of injuries he’s had, it’s starting to feel like we’ve been had.
So many inaccuracies in this post. In fact so many inaccuracies in this thread in general.

Frank White

So many inaccuracies in this post. In fact so many inaccuracies in this thread in general.
Don't normally like to post negatively about are players but there's not much wrong in that post atm. Antony cost a fortune, earns a fortune and is very much as one footed as it comes. And to top it off he does seem to be pretty injury prone.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We're better with him in the side, no amount of stats hides that

b82REZ

Don't normally like to post negatively about are players but there's not much wrong in that post atm. Antony cost a fortune, earns a fortune and is very much as one footed as it comes. And to top it off he does seem to be pretty injury prone.
Cool.

How does any of that have anything to do with what I said though?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Sometimes negativity is fine, if it's pointed at the core of the problem. Club needed instant solution after Greenwood case and Anto's transfer also wouldn't happen if Elanga or Sancho could cement a place on the right wing in last couple of years. Happens to be EtH trusts Antony as much as he trusts Lisandro, so at some point we might have to use to it, seeing him in the first squad.

Some circumstances forced it and no matter to what extent we can blame Antony. Tbh next summer, I'd rather find solid RB that will power up attacking intensity and precision on the right wing, rather than taxing the budget on another expensive attacking winger.

Club's constant delaying of finding full time RW through last years also didn't help stabilze situation. It only created more pressure to fix everything in one window.

Next season, I'm definitely requiring more from Antony, for now him scoring goals will have to do the job.

Frank White

Cool.

How does any of that have anything to do with what I said though?
Well.

You said what @El Zoido said was inaccurate, i pointed out that he's no far off the mark with what he said. Would love to know what you disagree with? Is it the he's 1 footed, cost a lot, earns a lot or he's injured quite a bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.