Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Once Sheikh Jassim comes in we will absolutely be signing another RW if neither Antony nor Sancho step up soon. The Qataris aren’t paying 6bn to watch losers, they’ll quickly identify weaknesses in the team and find and fund replacements whether ETH likes it or not. Just look at PSG, messi, neymar and Mbappe, no messing around.
You guys are hillarious. PSG got big names up front because it's good from a commercial standpoint. They did so regardless of any team balance logic or analysis. They have yet to "indentify our weakness" in the midfield. It's been 10 years and counting (Verratti/Motta being the last indisputed starters bought by the club, in 2012). Then you have roughly 350M worth of mistakes or absolute garbage.

Nonameisknown

Supports
United
Something tells me he is still suprised by the pace of the league. 2, 3 Players are on you in minutes and there's no time to waffle about. Even Varane and Casemero confess that the pace is mental. Garnacho seems to understand best how the league works of all our wingers.

Reactions: Fortitude

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Once Sheikh Jassim comes in we will absolutely be signing another RW if neither Antony nor Sancho step up soon. The Qataris aren’t paying 6bn to watch losers, they’ll quickly identify weaknesses in the team and find and fund replacements whether ETH likes it or not. Just look at PSG, messi, neymar and Mbappe, no messing around.
Yeah and it worked a treat for them, right?

next_number_seven

Something tells me he is still suprised by the pace of the league. 2, 3 Players are on you in minutes and there's no time to waffle about. Even Varane and Casemero confess that the pace is mental. Garnacho seems to understand best how the league works of all our wingers.
I see very little in him that's promising

zaafi

Just found out he created less chances (37) than Alexander Büttner (41) last season. Büttner left his club on free transfer and dropped down a tier. :lol:
He also played 23 games because of injuries. Still not a good stat.

jem

That is an absolute nightmare scenario that you’re describing.

Skills

Snitch
He just doesn't have anywhere near enough talent. Works hard and all that shit but actually having top level ability and talent matters - especially if you're occupying an attacking position.

He'll end up a journeyman somewhere after he leaves us.

mu4c_20le

You guys are hillarious. PSG got big names up front because it's good from a commercial standpoint. They did so regardless of any team balance logic or analysis. They have yet to "indentify our weakness" in the midfield. It's been 10 years and counting (Verratti/Motta being the last indisputed starters bought by the club, in 2012). Then you have roughly 350M worth of mistakes or absolute garbage.
Yes but 350m aside.... no messing around.

Betson

He was no worse than a lot of players on Sunday , it is just that he has so little credit in the bank when it comes performances. He has been so underwhelming.

He does not look outstanding at anything , for 90M or whatever it was you would expect him to at least excel at some things , he just looks average or below average at everything.

If he had come up through the youth system we would be saying he is decent but not good enough for this level and calling for him to be sold on.

PaulRich

Shaw was having a stinker, being targeted and this twat stood there and watched. No help whatsoever.

Lyng

Shaw was having a stinker, being targeted and this twat stood there and watched. No help whatsoever.
Opposite flanks mate. Are you talking about Dalot, since it was him and Antony on the right, and yes Antony really didnt help Dalot at all.

simplyared

We can go on for ever talking about this player. At first I was prepared to give him slack and rely on our managers judgement. He'd had him at Ajax and I couldn't believe he'd take him to OT if he wasn't a top player. How wrong I was!

fallengt

dunno how much money club invested in right flank since LvG days but we're still fecking shit.
Biggest problem about Anthony isn't his skill set but his decision making. He always tries to do shit then realizes "opps I made a wrong choice". It kills attacking chances so many times.

Wrecking ralf

Anyone think it’d be worth trying him not out in the left. He’s so predictable cutting back to use his left foot constantly. Maybe he’d be better using that foot to cross with. Sancho can play right and use both feet as can Pellistri when he eventually gets his chance. Would also allow Rashford to play centrally rather than using Weghorst every game. Antony doesn’t produce enough with his shooting to warrant him being a starter and employing his same tactic every game. If he wants to start shooting then make him learn how to do it with his right foot too.

quadrant

Antony desperately needs to start using his right foot, its trivially simple for defenders to handle him, just show him the outside. Since he's so reluctant to move down the wing, his only move is to pass it back to a defender or deep midfielder, which is what he ends up doing most of the time.

I also think a tactical tweak could help him. If you look at how Saka plays at Arsenal, he often starts out on the touchline, runs inwards past the defender towards the middle, then receives the pass once he's clear. That then puts him in a dangerous position with the ball on his left foot near the edge of the penalty area. Antony is clearly at his best when he's at the edge of the penalty too, it feels we'd be better trying to get the ball to him there, rather than continually giving it him on touchline.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Surprised at how slow he seems to be, especially for the PL. Its like he's running through sand.

ZH1

Antony could go one of 2 ways, he could either turn out to be a Douglas Costa or an Angel Di Maria, hopefully the latter.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Surprised at how slow he seems to be, especially for the PL. Its like he's running through sand.
I think he's quick but he doesnt run at defenders remotely enough. He keeps checking back.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I think he's quick but he doesnt run at defenders remotely enough. He keeps checking back.
I just dont know. We've had numerous counters going down his side this season and it always seems like he's comfortably caught-up by the opposition.

spiriticon

Anyone think it’d be worth trying him not out in the left. He’s so predictable cutting back to use his left foot constantly. Maybe he’d be better using that foot to cross with. Sancho can play right and use both feet as can Pellistri when he eventually gets his chance. Would also allow Rashford to play centrally rather than using Weghorst every game. Antony doesn’t produce enough with his shooting to warrant him being a starter and employing his same tactic every game. If he wants to start shooting then make him learn how to do it with his right foot too.
The left wing isn't some sort of dumpyard for failed right wingers....

And besides, the fact that he completely missed an easy to spot early cross from the LW to Rashford in the first half suggests that he wouldn't be much better there.

Nickelodeon

He's been very very disappointing. There are some stats or win percentage with him which can muddy the waters while discussing his contribution.

But he's just not doing enough. His dribbling is pretty useless since anyone who he dribbles past easily catches up with him, his crossing is decent but rarely finds a teammate, his shooting is even more frustrating as he scores a worldie once in 5-6 games while wasting all his shots in the other matches.

Normally, you give leeway to a young player but it requires some substance on which a platform can be built. Comparing Antony to Garnacho, we clearly see what the latter offers. Garnacho's searing pace, ability to take on defenders, cut inside to shoot or go on weaker side and cross have all had moments of success. There are weaknesses but you feel reasonably confident that he'll be able find these moments more consistently. What shall we expect out of Antony? That he'll score a 30 yarder every game?

Very worrying signing.

ZH1

Both of those can go past players
Antony can too but he lacks the belief and confidence, Nani had phases of this too but when he got it right like in 10/11 he was a top 5 winger in the world.

One thing we lack is patience, Antony will need it, but given time I think he'll develop into a good winger, maybe not a £80m winger but he could be united quality, he's just not got the complete package at the moment.

Ten Hag knew with Antony that we weren't getting the finished article, but with good coaching he could become a top winger.

Gordon Godot

Antony can too but he lacks the belief and confidence, Nani had phases of this too but when he got it right like in 10/11 he was a top 5 winger in the world.

One thing we lack is patience, Antony will need it, but given time I think he'll develop into a good winger, maybe not a £80m winger but he could be united quality, he's just not got the complete package at the moment.

Ten Hag knew with Antony that we weren't getting the finished article, but with good coaching he could become a top winger.
Unless he has the basic technique to start going on the outside and using his right foot then he wont make it in the premier league. You cant be that predictable while lacking say the speed and power of Rashford.

El Jefe

I still laugh when people compare him to Robben, Di Maria or Bernardo Silva. These are flattering comparisons to make him look better than he really is.

The players he really should be compared to are Lamela and Malcom. They aren't terrible players and neither is Antony but they are pretty much £25-30m players that belong at mid level european clubs, we just happened to pay £84m for one.

Skills

Snitch
I still laugh when people compare him to Robben, Di Maria or Bernardo Silva. These are flattering comparisons to make him look better than he really is.

The players he really should be compared to are Lamela and Malcom. They aren't terrible players and neither is Antony but they are pretty much £25-30m players that belong at mid level european clubs, we just happened to pay £84m for one.
This is correct. The talent discrepancy between someone like him and Di Maria is fecking collosal.

ElDiabloRojo

Unless he has the basic technique to start going on the outside and using his right foot then he wont make it in the premier league. You cant be that predictable while lacking say the speed and power of Rashford.
Did he ever use his right foot for crossing the ball at Ajax?

Betson

Not sure , I think he looks slow. The few times he has tried to go past someone he seemed to get comfortable outpaced by the fullback he is facing.

By amount of times he does turn back or go sideways in a one on one situation he certainly seems not to have confidence in his ability to go past anyone,

Mike Smalling

The one thing that gives me hope about Antony is, that he is being managed by Erik ten Hag. Surely, he can also see his flaws and coach Antony in how he can improve his performance and productivity on the pitch. Currently there are some obvious things that he should do more of, so I hope we begin to see that on the pitch pretty soon. If not, he will quickly become a squad player instead of a starter.

ZH1

There's plenty of one footed players, its an issue for him, but the bigger issue is that he doesn't go on the outside.

Robben was one footed, didn't stop him from becoming one of the best right wingers in the game, what he had was the threat of going both ways, this is what Antony needs to develop.

I'm sure he'll get there too, one criticism we've had of the squad is lack of coaching, but we know that isn't the case anymore, I'm sure he's being trained on how to go on the outside and adding that into his game.

We expect a lot from the lad, but he's 22, might not be the finished article until he is 25, that's when everything could start to come together for him. Now we could give him the time to develop or ship him out and start again with someone else, but we could be waiting around longer if we go that route.

ZH1

This is correct. The talent discrepancy between someone like him and Di Maria is fecking collosal.
Compare a 22 year old Di Maria to a 22 year old Antony, there's not massive differences in their game, Di Maria was very one dimensional, used to blow hot and cold, gave the ball away a lot. Even a couple seasons into his Madrid move they still won't convinced of him and went and got Bale.

Everyone's not a Messi where their the finished article at 21, or even Saka who is a world class winger at 21, some players develop into a World Class winger when they get to 25-26. Now Antony could become this, its about us having patience with him and giving him time to develop his game.

Status
Not open for further replies.