5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Cat

3 goals and 0 assists in the league. 0 goals since early October, a drought which has spanned 14 games. Anyone pretending he isn't a monumental flop needs to wake up and smell the coffee, incredibly average player

croadyman

3 goals and 0 assists in the league. 0 goals since early October, a drought which has spanned 14 games. Anyone pretending he isn't a monumental flop needs to wake up and smell the coffee, incredibly average player
So you have washed hands of him then

croadyman

Agree that first half was one of his best overall performances for us minus the finishing. I was so glad to not only see him take on people but, also actually went on the outside more than once and it resulted in dangerous situations. Also, did put in that extra effort a couple times getting back when in similar situations after team loses the ball he has not. Hopefully will build on it because need that on a more regular basis.
Yeah we need to see much more of that

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Disagree. I think you can easily evaluate his performances fairly. He's all style and no substance so far. He's a player that looks the part but ultimately doesn't deliver the goods.

That's why in mid April he has just 3 PL goals and 0 assists. That's the same as Fred.
Who is you? Clearly many can’t based on the one note pile on.

Matt851

I analyze him as a RM rather than a forward. Like someone said Kanchelskis, Park etc. When you have one of your wingers as basically an attacker who doesn't trackback (also to have fresh legs for counters) the other has to have a tactical role which he does well.
This is just a piss poor excuse for his lack of output, there are plenty of wide players in this league who work hard and produce goals and assists (saka and martinelli for example). The comparison to kanchelskis also makes zero sense to anyone that watched both players

Telsim

We will see what he actually brings to the table now that our main crutch is off the field for what could be the remainder of the season. Let's hope he finds his mojo.

Call me crazy or a maverick but yeah I actually evaluate wide forwards / wingers on their output mainly. Hahaha.

He came off the pitch on 59 mins with no goals, no assists and no key passes that I can recall and played against a player so obviously not comfortable playing as fullback for 45 mins too.

Salah / Saka would have had a bag full today against Godfrey. That's the difference.
Exactly, it's embarrassing the mental gymnastics some are performing to argue he is playing better than he is
Well aside from the two key passes, one that put Sabitzer directly through on goal and then you also have the shot against the post that left AWB with an open goal.
Mental gymnastics indeed.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He’s had a pretty bad season but it’s also very high school to not acknowledge his form has picked up a lot lately.

Cathy Ferguson

If we want to win the league we have to look at our rivals and it is obvious that Antony is nowhere near the class of Foden, Saka, and Salah. Also Almiron and Mahrez are better players and I also rate Kulusevski higher. Is he better than Solly March? Despite some improvements he needs to improve alot. An overlapping pacy RB will certainly help. The club is to blame for doing the transfer so late and overpaying by 30m.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Well aside from the two key passes, one that put Sabitzer directly through on goal and then you also have the shot against the post that left AWB with an open goal.
Mental gymnastics indeed.
Genuinely don't remember the Sabitzer one. If I missed it I apologize.

A shot isn't a key pass though.

Again his general play was pretty good but I prefer wingers / forwards who produce the goods.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
If we want to win the league we have to look at our rivals and it is obvious that Antony is nowhere near the class of Foden, Saka, and Salah. Also Almiron and Mahrez are better players and I also rate Kulusevski higher. Is he better than Solly March? Despite some improvements he needs to improve alot. An overlapping pacy RB will certainly help. The club is to blame for doing the transfer so late and overpaying by 30m.
Almiron was absolutely dreadful in his first few seasons at Newcastle. Saka was playing left wing back for Arsenal. Salah couldnt hack it at Chelsea. Mahrez almost got relegated in his first season. What on earth are these comparisons? Antony, in his first season, has turned our right wing from non existent into an actual functioning area where we look threatening. He has also scored against Arsenal, Man City and Barcelona. Already won a trophy, could win three and played his part in our push for a Champions League place.

Genuinely don't remember the Sabitzer one. If I missed it I apologize.

A shot isn't a key pass though.

Again his general play was pretty good but I prefer wingers / forwards who produce the goods.
One key pass to Rashford, one key pass to Sabitzer which was after the nice Sancho run where he left two Everton players on the deck. At the 20:20ish mark.

So 55 mins played, 2 key passes, one cracking shot against the post that left an open goal for AWB; being painted as a performance with no substance. Yet you claim you can debate him without bias?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
One key pass to Rashford, one key pass to Sabitzer which was after the nice Sancho run where he left two Everton players on the deck. At the 20:20ish mark.

So 55 mins played, 2 key passes, one cracking shot against the post that left an open goal for AWB; being painted as a performance with no substance. Yet you claim you can debate him without bias?
Yet he left the pitch once again with no goals and no assists. The last PL return was September. He's got less than Ben White just to be clear.

He was decent yesterday, nothing more. If he was as good as some of you are suggesting he wouldn't have been taken off at 59mins surely when the game was still not safe.

He was decent yesterday, nothing more. If he was as good as some of you are suggesting he wouldn't have been taken off at 59mins surely when the game was still not safe.
ETH has clearly lost trust with Weghorst so yeah, when the player coming on is by far our best forward, and the player at CF by far our best winger… he or Sancho were coming off regardless. We desperately need to get Martial minutes, and Rashford’s late injury only makes it even more vital.
Sancho himself was very good though, and he certainly needs more minutes.

Last edited:

zaafi

Yet he left the pitch once again with no goals and no assists. The last PL return was September. He's got less than Ben White just to be clear.

Why do you mention PL as if scoring against Everton is more important than scoring the winner against Barcelona?
You also realise he's only played 1200 PL minutes, which is half of what players like Martinelli has played with his colossal amount of 3 assists, who happens to play in a very fluid attacking team as opposed to us who have scored 44 goals in 29 games. We barely have any players to assist. No striker.
If you also look at his assists from Ajax, a lot of his assists were crosses to Haller who happens to be a striker that can head the ball. Do we have that?

Cathy Ferguson

Almiron was absolutely dreadful in his first few seasons at Newcastle. Saka was playing left wing back for Arsenal. Salah couldnt hack it at Chelsea. Mahrez almost got relegated in his first season. What on earth are these comparisons? Antony, in his first season, has turned our right wing from non existent into an actual functioning area where we look threatening. He has also scored against Arsenal, Man City and Barcelona. Already won a trophy, could win three and played his part in our push for a Champions League place.
Do you seriously believe that Antony can be as good as Salah and Saka? He will improve but Almiron is probably his ceiling. He is underwhelming and so is Sancho.

hmchan

Thought he was ok first half today but asterisked by the fact Godfrey put in one of the worst performances I’ve ever seen from a supposed LB. End product still a concern - should have probably had two assists and a goal with better quality. Looks to be developing a good understanding with AWB though.
This. Antony looked sharp solely because Godfrey put in an abysmal performance. Still he couldn't capitalize on it and produce some end products. The moment where he looked through on goal but got recovered just showed he isn't up to PL standard and intensity.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Do you seriously believe that Antony can be as good as Salah and Saka? He will improve but Almiron is probably his ceiling. He is underwhelming and so is Sancho.
Did you think Saka would be as good as he is today when he was playing left back for Arsenal at 18/19? Same with Salah, when Chelsea got rid, did you think he'd come back to win the golden boot/CL/PL with Liverpool? I'm guessing you and many others foresaw those circumstances?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
ETH has clearly lost trust with Weghorst so yeah, when the player coming on is by far our best forward, and the player at CF by far our best winger… he or Sancho were coming off regardless. We desperately need to get Martial minutes, and Rashford’s late injury only makes it even more vital.
Sancho himself was very good though, and he certainly needs more minutes.
I thought Sancho was good and Antony was decent. Neither were poor nor were they amazing.

It was a generally good team performance though. Everyone contributed.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If we had Saka, or a player as good as him, on our right wing then top 4 would already be sealed. We'd easily have another 6-9pts in my opinion.

This is the harsh reality of football. Players don't get to choose their transfer fees but when you go for 84m you need to deliver the goods.

Next season we need much much more from him. The only trouble with that is I don't see how he achieves it as he's not going to get any quicker or develop a good right foot now at his age. I can't see him cutting in on his left most of the game being good enough.

Cathy Ferguson

Did you think Saka would be as good as he is today when he was playing left back for Arsenal at 18/19? Same with Salah, when Chelsea got rid, did you think he'd come back to win the golden boot/CL/PL with Liverpool? I'm guessing you and many others foresaw those circumstances?
No I did not but I did foresee Sancho's shortcomings when many other posters did not. Neither do I foresee Antony scoring 15 PL goals in a season not to mention winning the Golden boot. He is a one trick pony.

criticalanalysis

He's going to have a 'break out' into becoming a regularish goalscorer or become extremely streaky and score a bunch of goals next year if he keeps this up. It'll happen.

zaafi

11 goals and 1 assist so far. I would be delighted if Antony (or Sancho) would reach that next season. Do you watch Almiron at all?
Almiron is a 29 year old who has his first decent season in his life, while Antony is a recognised huge talent and also a Brazilian international. Antony is 23 years old playing his first season in Premier League.
While he has disappointed when it comes to scoring goals and assisting, he makes an impact and he brings the entire team forward while pinning the opponent back. His problem is that he's struggling to go on the outside which makes him predictable for defenders. It doesn't help him having Bissaka who barely overlaps. You will see Antony much more effective with a new attacking right back and an actual striker.

Almiron's numbers aren't even that impressive. He has 11 goals and 1 assist in 2000 minutes played.
Sancho has 4 goals and 2 assists in half the minutes, so I'd say it's pretty similar when you take minutes played into account.

And yes, I've watched Almiron play and he's not a great player. Statistics will also tell you he's not a particular good ball carrier going forward and he's not a good dribbler. He is overperforming this season when it comes to scoring goals and he's at the same level as Antony when it comes to assisting despite having decent strikers in the team.

lsd

The Oracle
The problem I have with people saying Antony will improve tenfold next season when he gets used to the premiership is the premiership will be used to him then.

When you only have one way of playing and no right foot most teams will work out how to deal with you very quickly.

I can see Antony having a tougher time of it next season

Zlaatan

Parody Account
To be honest him messing up that very easy pass to Rashford for an almost certain assist cost me more hair than his finishing.
Same here, you simply can't miss a pass like that when you're under no pressure as a pro footballer. Scoring a 1v1 or curling a shot into the far corner is a 100x more difficult than getting that pass right and for some reason it's the simple passes that a lot of our players are struggling with, which drives me nuts.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
The problem I have with people saying Antony will improve tenfold next season when he gets used to the premiership is the premiership will be used to him then.

When you only have one way of playing and no right foot most teams will work out how to deal with you very quickly.

I can see Antony having a tougher time of it next season
Then it's up to Antony to develop as a player, work on being able to cross the ball with his right foot, and have the ability to shoot inside the near post as well as his stock shot of curling it inside the fast post. If Amad becomes part of next season's squad, then Antony will certainly have to up his game.

Skills

Snitch
Disagree. I think you can easily evaluate his performances fairly. He's all style and no substance so far. He's a player that looks the part but ultimately doesn't deliver the goods.

That's why in mid April he has just 3 PL goals and 0 assists. That's the same as Fred.
There isn't even much style there. I think he looks unnatural on the ball.

kundalini

The season when Solskjaer tried hard working Andreas Pereira in both no 10 and wide right roles before abandoning him having bought Fernandes in the winter transfer window, Pereira got 1 goal + 3 assists in 1501 PL mins, with his xG 2.29 and xA 3.71, xG90 0.14, xA90 0.22. We sold Andreas for £8m rising to £10m with add-ons.

Antony currently 3 goals + 0 assists after 1306 PL mins, xG90 0.22, xA90 0.06

Pereira was 23 then turned 24 in Jan that season. Antony 22 then turned 23 in late Feb this year.

Pereira's pass completion was crap compared to Antony's so that's something.

Last edited:

OrcaFat

He contributes a lot but I would say I’m a little disappointed in his number of goal involvements. I do think he will get better, mostly because he is young and the team as a whole is evolving.

When the team gets better, he will get better, which will make the team better, which will make him better. This pattern will repeat until he and the team are infinitely good or he leaves / retires, whichever comes first.

Antony is a little underwhelming but I trust ETH. Time will tell.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Who expected Almiron to improve in such a way this season ? It's one thing to criticize a player but another to completely write him off

STYLOISRED

This place annoys me to be honest. The level of negativity never ceases to amaze me.
Here you have a 22 yr old playing his first season in a very difficult league. Does the basics and helps the team whenever he is on the pitch. And most importantly, hasn't dropped his head depsite underperforming yet! We can't even show little patience.

OrcaFat

This place annoys me to be honest. The level of negativity never ceases to amaze me.
Here you have a 22 yr old playing his first season in a very difficult league. Does the basics and helps the team whenever he is on the pitch. And most importantly, hasn't dropped his head depsite underperforming yet! We can't even show little patience.
I know. I think it’s the price tag that’s driving it. He has some limitations but he’s a good team player and, being 22, he has time to learn how to get the best out of himself.

Again, it’s the money we paid; it’s understandable that people expect a little more. What I don’t understand is people writing him off.

UpWithRivers

The fact that the best arguments that pro Antony supporters come up with is that he's young. its his first season, he will get better, he needs a striker and a RB etc just proves one thing. He is not good enough. Sure he might be in 1, 2, 3, 4 seasons but the question is do we just carry him for a few years? If he's not good enough and he needs time, then he needs to be a bench player for a few years. Get Dembele for example and say to him push Dembele out if your good enough. This is United's problem. We keep waiting for first team players to come good. Why?

OrcaFat

The fact that the best arguments that pro Antony supporters come up with is that he's young. its his first season, he will get better, he needs a striker and a RB etc just proves one thing. He is not good enough. Sure he might be in 1, 2, 3, 4 seasons but the question is do we just carry him for a few years? If he's not good enough and he needs time, then he needs to be a bench player for a few years. Get Dembele for example and say to him push Dembele out if your good enough. This is United's problem. We keep waiting for first team players to come good. Why?
It’s not as simple as saying “buy Dembele”. First of all you have to be able to get him - not certain. Then if you do get him, he has to be better - not certain. How many players have we bought thinking they are the holy grail?

Most people who are “pro Antony” are not really “pro”, they are just not writing him off. This is a pragmatic attitude. Guarantee me that we obtain a better player without compromising what we need to upgrade elsewhere in the squad and I’ll take him; everyone would.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I admire the positivity but also feel like some of the praise Antony is getting here is also what we would laugh about if that was a player of a rival team. Imagine City/Liverpool fans praising 85m winger for going outside when dribbling, or using a weak foot to make a simple pass. Again, I think it's the right thing to do to support him but also can't help to think this way.

Antony isn't a youth/academy team player anymore and it seems like a lot of posters treat him like one. His biggest deficiencies are not going anywhere, he's not getting any quicker/stronger and he's not going to significantly improve on his right foot. I also don't get the comparison to Saka to when he was starting to play for Arsenal, he was always skillful and fast, he just needed a few seasons for it to come together. This is NOT the case for Antony.

At some point you just see limitations of a player and can't really expect him to go above his ceiling. "How high is Antony's ceiling" is the bone of contention on here. I actually think he's almost there. There are three main reasons (apart from the limitations I mentioned earlier) for that:
a) he already plays like a quite mature player (see Garnacho as the example of the opposite: he is all about attack attack attack, as effective as it is sometimes it makes sense to slow it down a bit like Antony does often)
b) his "bad choices" are actually a result of his awareness of his own shortcomings (example: he's not good at passing so even when it makes more sense to make a pass, he still goes for a shot; the same applies to him stopping to cut back to his left foot when it really makes sense to keep running and pass with his right).
c) based on my thorough research of his YouTube clips, current Antony is actually Ajax Antony (tbh I think he adapted very well to this league and he deserves praise for that; unfortunately he isn't playing for a team that avareges 65% possession anymore, so he just gets less chances to do his thing against opposition sitting back - and last two games shown he is quite OK against those)

Arguably his best game for us this season yet some of you still trying to find any angle to knock him down.
I think Antony had better games but maybe that's because I consider him to be a right midfielder rather than an attacker. He had a good game and I expect him to be useful in those games against poor opposition (unlucky not to assist or score).

If we had Saka, or a player as good as him, on our right wing then top 4 would already be sealed. We'd easily have another 6-9pts in my opinion.

This is the harsh reality of football. Players don't get to choose their transfer fees but when you go for 84m you need to deliver the goods.

Next season we need much much more from him. The only trouble with that is I don't see how he achieves it as he's not going to get any quicker or develop a good right foot now at his age. I can't see him cutting in on his left most of the game being good enough.

This is exactly my worry. He deserves more slack than Sancho because he's actually putting a lot of effort, but at the moment and after watching him for quite a number of games I don't see how he can develop into a constant attacking threat. I believe he has improved slightly but I do think very poor opposition played a huge part in his performances last two games. I try not to judge players based on their output in a single game, because I though he was just unlucky not to score (it's a different story when it comes to assisting, because he is actually a poor passer of the ball), so I think he did well. It's just the bar is very low for him regardless if he's 30, 50, or 85m player.

Status
Not open for further replies.