Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skills

Snitch
He looks completely shot of confidence. Don't think he's been right ever since that England penalty miss in the Euros along with regular injuries. His first season was fairly decent for us despite missing chunk in the middle due to injury, and he just looked a lot more confident. Went in to the Euros in pretty good form (scored 4 consecutive friendlies), and then had a pretty poor tournament finishing with that penalty.

He just seems to run away from the ball now, head down, shoulders hunched up as if he's trying to hide behind someone in case someone spots him in space and passes him the ball. He was probably never going to be a great player for us, but I thought he'd be a pretty decent option.

Last edited:

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Booing or heckling a player should never be condoned, no matter how ineffective his performance is. It accomplishes nothing apart from creating an atmosphere of negativity within the stadium. He's really not as terrible as some might suggest. I'd agree that he's not a United level player. But can we fault Young for jumping at the chance to play for one of the biggest clubs in the world ? That was a once in a lifetime opportunity for him.

The fault doesn't lie entirely with Young. He tries a bit and has a decent workrate. However he clearly doesn't have the mental toughness or technical level expected of a player at the highest level. The fault lies with the club for signing him. That is why I feel a bit of sympathy for Young. He's clearly overwhelmed by the pressure that accompanies being a United player. Just like our last manager couldn't come to grips with the expectations at United. Neither of them had the credentials. So we can't really blame them implicitly.

With that in mind it'd be best for the likes of Young and even Cleverley to move in the summer and re-invent themselves at clubs with lower expectation levels. It'd be the ideal solution for everyone involved. They can be productive for a number of teams within the league.

TheLoveless

Booing or heckling a player should never be condoned, no matter how ineffective his performance is. It accomplishes nothing apart from creating an atmosphere of negativity within the stadium. He's really not as terrible as some might suggest. I'd agree that he's not a United level player. But can we fault Young for jumping at the chance to play for one of the biggest clubs in the world ? That was a once in a lifetime opportunity for him.

The fault doesn't lie entirely with Young. He tries a bit and has a decent workrate. However he clearly doesn't have the mental toughness or technical level expected of a player at the highest level. The fault lies with the club for signing him. That is why I feel a bit of sympathy for Young. He's clearly overwhelmed by the pressure that accompanies being a United player. Just like our last manager couldn't come to grips with the expectations at United. Neither of them had the credentials. So we can't really blame them implicitly.

With that in mind it'd be best for the likes of Young and even Cleverley to move in the summer and re-invent themselves at clubs with lower expectation levels. It'd be the ideal solution for everyone involved. They can be productive for a number of teams within the league.
I would give Cleverley a year or two to prove himself. I don't know what's happened to him but up until he got injured against Bolton in 2011-12 I thought he was absolutely magnificent for his age.
This particular season shouldn't be a proof for any player because none of the established players played better than the year before.

Spot on about Young.

mufcwarm92

Are you his agent? You seem to be getting very wound up about this. Go have a lie down.
I fecking wish I was. But this applies to any United player and really has nothing to do with Young personally - I would rather he wasn't around next season too.

It winds me up big time though. Sad little scrotes booing their own player, which unsurprisingly makes him play worse. It's an embarrassment to the rest of our support. Grow up.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I would give Cleverley a year or two to prove himself. I don't know what's happened to him but up until he got injured against Bolton in 2011-12 I thought he was absolutely magnificent for his age.
This particular season shouldn't be a proof for any player because none of the established players played better than the year before.

Spot on about Young.
Hmm you're probably right about Cleverley mate. But I just feel that permanent damage has been done to his psyche. It takes a player of supreme mental fortitude to recover from the barrage of abuse that Tom has suffered - what with the twitter petitions and him closing his account to sarcastic cheers at Old Trafford. He comes across as an extremely sensitive and self aware person. And I just can't see him turning his career around at United. Cleverley's reaching the prime years for a footballer and sometimes you have to be selfish. It think it's established on good authority that he's not starter material for United. And being on the bench as a bit part player will do him no favours. Of course he might want to stay at his boyhood club. But it will only stagnate him further and hurt his chances with the national team. I could be wrong but IMO Cleverley needs a change of scenery and he'd be better served being a club where he's appreciated - like Everton where Martinez rates him highly. Barry is a really good example of that. Unloved at City but a vital player now at Goodison Park. If Cleverley puts his head down and works hard he can be a core player for a slightly lesser club. Then again that's just IMO. We'll have to wait and see what happens. :)

mufcwarm92

Here here. A bit of sense.

Distracted Steward

He has dropped off a cliff since he signed for us.

For Villa he was always a pacy dynamic forward thinking player with an eye for goal who was capable of playing across the forward line.
He was great at free kicks, could finish, could beat a man.

Here he just looks like a player who wants it all to end, to be fair he needs to be shipped out as he is finished for us.
This marvels me. How could he sink so low from that?

Rezyuz

I never found him good at Villa either. No clue why on earth you would buy a sub top player there for that amount of money.

Either SAF hit the bottle to much or he heard how good he was on Fifa from the younger lads. Eitherway Young is a disaster who is ruining pretty much every attack through him. Baffled Giggs keeps playing him.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

There are some here who would say its understandable that the players didn't give 100% throughout the season because of how shit they saw Moyes was as a manager, and wanted him gone. The same argument can also be put about us fans booing players like Young, who has been here for much longer than Moyes, and has surely shown himself to be totally out of his depth. It boggles most of United fans mind why he is in the starting lineup most of the time. If booing him means he is shipped out sooner, then I am all for it.

Kag

Booing is shite, no matter who the player is. It benefits nobody whatsoever. I always laugh, because it's these same guys that sings Rooney's names to the rafters.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
There are some here who would say its understandable that the players didn't give 100% throughout the season because of how shit they saw Moyes was as a manager, and wanted him gone. The same argument can also be put about us fans booing players like Young, who has been here for much longer than Moyes, and has surely shown himself to be totally out of his depth. It boggles most of United fans mind why he is in the starting lineup most of the time. If booing him means he is shipped out sooner, then I am all for it.
Fair enough mate. But IMO the problem with this line of thought is that United never sells players based on fan opinion. That doesn't mean we're not entitled to one. Absolutely not. But what I'm suggesting is that Young will only be shipped out if the powers that be do the due diligence and conclude that he's not suitable for the club going forward. Booing and chanting will not sway their opinion. So instead of heckling Young why not just support the team. Whistling and booing by certain pockets only sends out negative vibes in a precarious time for the club. We're the most vulnerable we've ever been in 25 years. It's the time for solidarity, not for infighting among supporters or bullying specific player - whether it's Young or Cleverley or Nani or whoever.

Winrar

Hmm you're probably right about Cleverley mate. But I just feel that permanent damage has been done to his psyche. It takes a player of supreme mental fortitude to recover from the barrage of abuse that Tom has suffered - what with the twitter petitions and him closing his account to sarcastic cheers at Old Trafford. He comes across as an extremely sensitive and self aware person. And I just can't see him turning his career around at United. Cleverley's reaching the prime years for a footballer and sometimes you have to be selfish. It think it's established on good authority that he's not starter material for United. And being on the bench as a bit part player will do him no favours. Of course he might want to stay at his boyhood club. But it will only stagnate him further and hurt his chances with the national team. I could be wrong but IMO Cleverley needs a change of scenery and he'd be better served being a club where he's appreciated - like Everton where Martinez rates him highly. Barry is a really good example of that. Unloved at City but a vital player now at Goodison Park. If Cleverley puts his head down and works hard he can be a core player for a slightly lesser club. Then again that's just IMO. We'll have to wait and see what happens. :)
Even though Cleverley has been playing shit for the past season or two, he can do better than that.

I'll reserve my judgment on whether he should be here long term after I see what Louis Van Gaal can do with him. If he tries hard to get back to his best under Van Gaal and do what Henderson did in overcoming criticism and realize his potential, he'll stay. After all he's going to be 25 next season; still got a good few years ahead of him and produce a second wind. I'm not saying that he's going to come back to his best for sure, but I'd still be patient with him for the next couple of years.

Can the same be said for Young? I doubt it. He's turning 29 next season, already leeching off what is reported to be 130k per week, which is quite frankly appalling to pay that much money for a player of his caliber. Not to mention it's annoying to see him constantly playacting.

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
I have a different view of booing. Fans should be allowed to express themselves. This whole blindly supporting whatever the club does is straight out of Mao's little red book. A lot of United fans are snobs who think things like booing are beneath them. In the real world fans boo players, managers, club owners/chairmen when they are unhappy.

If your MP doesn't deliver should you blindly support him because you are Labour or Conservative? If your child misbehaves should you smile and pat him on the head? Being a football fan involves a range of emotions. Fans should be free to express anger, happiness, disappointment etc. If our fans started fighting or invading the pitch then I would be concerned.

Rezyuz

I have a different view of booing. Fans should be allowed to express themselves. This whole blindly supporting whatever the club does is straight out of Mao's little red book. A lot of United fans are snobs who think things like booing are beneath them. In the real world fans boo players, managers, club owners/chairmen when they are unhappy.

If your MP doesn't deliver should you blindly support him because you are Labour or Conservative? If your child misbehaves should you smile and pat him on the head? Being a football fan involves a range of emotions. Fans should be free to express anger, happiness, disappointment etc. If our fans started fighting or invading the pitch then I would be concerned.
You got a point. It happens at pretty much every club. And its the only way to be heard.

But the problem is, we all know Ashley Young is an untalented idiot who never should play. Its the trainer who still picks him. He deserves the flame for it. Not Young.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Booing is shite, no matter who the player is. It benefits nobody whatsoever. I always laugh, because it's these same guys that sings Rooney's names to the rafters.
Rooney gets cheered for running about and playing crap passes. What do you expect.

Empire

This game: 2 goals, 3 assists.
13/14 season: 2 goals, 1 assist.
Jesus, look at that line up, no proper right back and a Midfield four of Nani, Cleverley, Anderson and Young. What happened?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Feck, I thought the bump could be related to some club making offer for him.

mufcwarm92

The comment from Rio that he needed a thick skin couldn't be more apt. Fair play to him for taking it on the chin and ignoring the massive set of cnuts that largely populate our fan base.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
It's ridiculous how much hate this lad gets. He's not our best player but I like having him in the squad.

There's certainly an argument to be made that since he's been here he's been more useful than Nani and Kagawa.

hobbers

2 goals and 4 assists in 51 games last two seasons.

He's like the result of a freakish genetic experiment where Nani's lack of work rate and mental fortitude was combined with Valencia's lack of ability to do anything other than run about without the ball.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
It's ridiculous how much hate this lad gets. He's not our best player but I like having him in the squad.

There's certainly an argument to be made that since he's been here he's been more useful than Nani and Kagawa.
I agree that the hate is stupid and OTT, but he's certainly not been useful over the last 2 years and should leave based on his performance level

Cina

2 goals and 4 assists in 2 seasons is not remotely good enough. Why do people always have to compare squad members to other squad members when assessing whether they're good enough or not? It's clear that in the last two years Nani and Kagawa have not been good enough either so it's not like there's any point to that statement.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
Someone like Schurrle, Coutinho or Lallana is the type of back-up / squad player we should have. Players who actually provide goals and assists.

Status
Not open for further replies.