Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Both our goals came through Young forcing the play.
He does it a lot. He's not the best player in the world. I like him in the squad though. Although things haven't gone great for him this season fitness wise, when he's player I think he's been good at being direct and offering us a way up the pitch quickly.

Plugsy

The second goal was incredibly fluky; it was an awful cross that deflected and the first goal was all Rooney but let's try to pretend he isn't shit.
A cross along the 6 yard box is now "shit"?

Plugsy

Ratings:

MEN:

7/10

Unusually found himself on the right wing but gave United disciplined width and maintained his service well.
Daily Mail:

Goal.com

7/10

Bleacher Report:

8/10

Telegraph:

*no score but..*
55 mins: Ashley Young, the wretch, is having a decent game. He is to the fore as United start to exert authority and dominance, linking up well with Fellaini as United set up camp down the Hammers left.
Redcafe

LOL he's so shit

SATA

He's a useful squad player who can help you win the odd game. But if i had my way, only one of him or Valencia should stay at the club as that option of a squad player in their position. Besides who would want to take him especially with that high wages of his?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's one of those players that people watching have a pre biased way of thinking about.

He does a fairly decent squad job, and like a lot of players will look much better when we play well.

Might well be struggling for a lot of action next year, as Mata, Januzaj and Valencia are surely ahead of him, and that's before we decide who to bring in.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Many times Young seems to just hit his crosses into a specific area. Compare this to players like Mata and Kagawa that actually look to see if there's a player in that space. We really should be replacing this guy as soon as possible.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Both our goals came through Young forcing the play.
That's a bit far stretched, isn't it? One was a blind clearance, the other one a poor cross that fell into Rooney's feet due a mistake by the defender.

Timdbro

He is much less annoying when played on the right, doesn't give him the opportunity to do that shit cut back onto his right foot before a rubbish cross.
The other thing is, he's actually a decent player when we're playing on the counter-attack (again, especially when he's on the right). He has a bit of pace to get behind the full back, and when he crosses first time the end product is not bad. He still found ways to take too many touches when he had a chance to put the ball in yesterday, but overall if we're going to play him that was the ideal way to do so.

Oaencha

It's pretty obvious that Young isn't good enough for Utd, but who would take him with £90k a week wages? He's got 3 years left on his contract as well.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
Don't get hatred since I thought he played well last night. Played a beautiful cross from which Fellaini should have scored and it was his cross that led to the mistake & the second goal. Did well overall.

mancan92

Has a player ever looked so out of place and out of his depth when compared to his team mates? Kagawa, Rooney and mata playing lovely triangles and showing their technical ability while young can't hit a 5 yard pass.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I remember a season or two ago when Young was a fixture in the England side and was even getting playing time behind the striker. He was scoring for us too.

He hasn't been the same since the Euros where he was absolutely terrible and missed his penalty against Italy.

Gladiator

Don't get hatred since I thought he played well last night. Played a beautiful cross from which Fellaini should have scored and it was his cross that led to the mistake & the second goal. Did well overall.
yeah but i mean this goes back to the point when watching the same game, two people may see things differently and thereby walk away with completely different opinions/conclusions etc. The caf is a perfect representation of this.

this is where stats can be helpful as long as they're being used in context and with some objective performances measures to better ascertain how good or bad one's performance actually was.

on young, it doesnt make sense to me that he can give the ball away multiple times yet that's somehow glossed over by our fans but when other players do it, "he was poor. gave the ball away numerous times" and I'm just like what about young?

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I don't think he's good enough. Certainly not for the wages and not for first choice either. We need a fit Nani in form or a Zaha with his head screwed on. Someone who can excite people. Young is not that player.

Kag

It's pretty obvious that Young isn't good enough for Utd, but who would take him with £90k a week wages? He's got 3 years left on his contract as well.
Two years. This is his third season at the club and he signed a five year deal. Hence I'm praying we fob him off come 'renewal' time.

Blasphemy

Our play broke down so many times last night because of his lack of ability. He's not good enough.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Christ, I thought yesterday was amongst Young's worst performances in a United shirt. Most of our moves broke down yesterday when the ball went to him, it was incredibly lucky that we salvaged a goal out of that cross he played straight to a defender. There were two strange points in the game also where he seemed to be shielding the ball out of play for a goal kick to them.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Not good enough to be a first XI player here, that much is certain.

Is he a good enough squad player? Possibly, though his form over the past 12-18 months hasn't consistently shown it IMO.

Then you might need to factor in what kind of wages he's on to be a squad player. Personally, I think we're over stocked on wingers/attackers and we need to trim some quantity for quality and Young would definitely be close to the top of that list for me.

I don't think he's as bad as some on the Caf let's on. He's a good/decent attacker.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
I think we should be setting the bar higher than him for a United winger, given the quality we've had in that position over the course of our history.

Really frustrating when his only trick is that feint to cross. And how many times does he do it when a first time cross would actually be the best thing to do? :lol:

Dante

Average bang
A clearance and an inaccurate cross.
Quick pressure and closing down for the first one (Barca get praised for that all the time). The second goal came from his quick pace and a clever ball played into the corridor of uncertainty - any closer the keeper or the first man and it never would have resulted in a goal.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I actually wouldn't mind Ashley Young coming off the bench and generally being a backup squad player. As I've said before,he's always capable of decent moments, good run or cross here or there, but he's quite an ordinary player (poor by united standards) in general who doesn't help the team play better at all. Hence the above preference of his ideal usage. The issue lies in the fact that he's such a prominent part of the team.

Same with Valencia. He's very limited these days and seems to offer not much other than hard work and fight.

I'd keep one of them and have him as backup to the main widemen.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
One thing I've been thinking lately(regardless of how he plays or if we're goign to keep him) is who we'd sell him to.
Who would buy him? Would we get 8-10m for him?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I'm sure a lot of Premier League sides would become interested. The major stumbling block is wages, as it is for the majority of our lesser talented players.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
I'm sure a lot of Premier League sides would become interested. The major stumbling block is wages, as it is for the majority of our lesser talented players.
Agreed. He's on 80000 or something like that a week, isn't he? No way is he going to step down from that.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Agreed. He's on 80000 or something like that a week, isn't he? No way is he going to step down from that.
I remember a journalist touching on it at some stage this season, that Moyes could find it difficult selling some of the players he wants to as wages are high and not consistent with ability.

Gladiator

I think we should be setting the bar higher than him for a United winger, given the quality we've had in that position over the course of our history.

Really frustrating when his only trick is that feint to cross. And how many times does he do it when a first time cross would actually be the best thing to do? :lol:
i agree we lost ronaldo and havent signed anyone remotely close to his level at that time since.

Gladiator

It was a good cross.

Still a poor performance from young, which is fairly normal by his standards.
yep. this is why i feel focusing purely on end product doesnt cut it. imagine having a striker that offered nothing to our build up play but somehow got 25+ goals each season

Ekeke

Quick pressure and closing down for the first one (Barca get praised for that all the time). The second goal came from his quick pace and a clever ball played into the corridor of uncertainty - any closer the keeper or the first man and it never would have resulted in a goal.
Quick pace?

Exactly what Young hasn't shown since his Aston Villa days

Status
Not open for further replies.