Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ixion

He did well in the second half except a couple of his final balls could have been better. Can't argue with two assists.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Bula

Sorry Brwned but I'm not having that.

Stats are useful but they're a load of shit for stuff like this. Di Maria might get an assist when Rooney controls the ball out of thin air and smashes it in but Young gets nothing if the keeper stretches to it and it narrowly misses am attackers head. He's been MOTM today, easily for our outfield player.
I agree stats are a long way away from being the be all and end all but you're just making excuses here. Young doesn't create much. Di María does. You don't need the numbers to show you that but at the end of the day the numbers do corroborate what seems pretty self-evident. Di María is only more likely to get a lucky assist because he's more likely to take a risk and create something in general. Most of his assists have been great displays of the kind of creativity our team lacks and that he was brought in to help provide.

If Young was more creative he'd get more "lucky" assists. He got two today but funnily enough the people who scrutinised di María's assists to the nth degree aren't doing that with Young's. Go figure. If Dann hadn't inexplicably handballed it and Falcao hadn't fouled Delaney/Speroni hadn't made a complete mess of it then Young would've came out with nothing. I personally don't think that's a worthy criticism because what Young and di María both did in their "lucky" assists is ask the question, force the defender/keeper to make the decision and force the attacker to throw something at it.

That's what Young does nowhere near enough of. Most of his crosses aren't dangerous at all. He deserves credit for re-establishing himself in the team and showing he's good enough to play for United, but at the same time he's made it abundantly clear that he's not good enough for where we need to be. Most people are saying this is the best he's ever played for us. I don't agree but it's not far off, and that's exactly the point. He's playing close to his maximum and that just isn't good enough for a team with title aspirations. It's good enough to be a squad player though, and that's progress from last year. I'm delighted that we've seen that kind of progress too because he does have more passion than most. That's a great thing to have in a squad player.

Saying he's playing better than some "overpaid superstars" is neither here nor there. It's a strawman argument. We know that di María, Mata, Falcao, Rooney and van Persie can play better than this because they've shown in the past their top level is far beyond what they've given us so far. If it turns out that they can't reach that top level in this team for whatever reason - age, motivation, tactics - and they can only play as well as they have done recently then they will be surplus to requirements. We're not comparing Young against these "overpaid superstars" in their current form because in their current form they're not good enough. We're comparing them to the level of our competitors and the players we've had when we were competing for the title, and if you can't see that Young falls way, way, way below that standard then I don't know what to say.

beergod

It was nice to see a senior squad player take responsibility instead of deferring to others. I got the feeling in the attacks leading up to the winner that Young knew he had the beating of Ward and wasn't going to let up.

Robbie Boy

I agree stats are a long way away from being the be all and end all but you're just making excuses here. Young doesn't create much. Di María does. You don't need the numbers to show you that but at the end of the day the numbers do corroborate what seems pretty self-evident. Di María is only more likely to get a lucky assist because he's more likely to take a risk and create something in general. Most of his assists have been great displays of the kind of creativity our team lacks and that he was brought in to help provide.

If Young was more creative he'd get more "lucky" assists. He got two today but funnily enough the people who scrutinised di María's assists to the nth degree aren't doing that with Young's. Go figure. If Dann hadn't inexplicably handballed it and Falcao hadn't fouled Delaney/Speroni hadn't made a complete mess of it then Young would've came out with nothing. I personally don't think that's a worthy criticism because what Young and di María both did in their "lucky" assists is ask the question, force the defender/keeper to make the decision and force the attacker to throw something at it.

That's what Young does nowhere near enough of. Most of his crosses aren't dangerous at all. He deserves credit for re-establishing himself in the team and showing he's good enough to play for United, but at the same time he's made it abundantly clear that he's not good enough for where we need to be. Most people are saying this is the best he's ever played for us. I don't agree but it's not far off, and that's exactly the point. He's playing close to his maximum and that just isn't good enough for a team with title aspirations. It's good enough to be a squad player though, and that's progress from last year. I'm delighted that we've seen that kind of progress too because he does have more passion than most. That's a great thing to have in a squad player.

Saying he's playing better than some "overpaid superstars" is neither here nor there. It's a strawman argument. We know that di María, Mata, Falcao, Rooney and van Persie can play better than this because they've shown in the past their top level is far beyond what they've given us so far. If it turns out that they can't reach that top level in this team for whatever reason - age, motivation, tactics - and they can only play as well as they have done recently then they will be surplus to requirements. We're not comparing Young against these "overpaid superstars" in their current form because in their current form they're not good enough. We're comparing them to the level of our competitors and the players we've had when we were competing for the title, and if you can't see that Young falls way, way, way below that standard then I don't know what to say.
Good post. Sums Young up for me, anyway.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
He's nothing special but he plays with such passion and keeps trying on and on until he succeeds. Totally revitalized player under van Gaal.

Next season I think he will be a rotation option for both Shaw and Memphis on that left side. At least you can now expect a performance from him when he plays unlike his previous years at Manchester United.

Viral United

Young criticism for today match is undeserved, its look like he will never be great for some fans.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

To me Young looks a lot more likely to create things than Di Maria. Di Maria's last game was up there with one of the worst I've ever seen in a United shirt. Young was out MOTM today.

BTW - I don't think Young gets an assist for that Dann cross today, it won't be included in his "official" figures. So overall he's not got as many assists as Di Maria, bt he's been a lot better

Brwned

To me Young looks a lot more likely to create things than Di Maria. Di Maria's last game was up there with one of the worst I've ever seen in a United shirt. Young was out MOTM today.

BTW - I don't think Young gets an assist for that Dann cross today, it won't be included in his "official" figures. So overall he's not got as many assists as Di Maria, bt he's been a lot better
I agree. It was pathetically bad. Despite that he created probably the best chance of the game by putting it right on McNair's head, unmarked in the 6 yard box, out while Young tried and tried and tried and nothing came off. Kind of sums up the difference in class and danger they possess, IMO.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I agree. It was pathetically bad. Despite that he created probably the best chance of the game by putting it right on McNair's head, unmarked in the 6 yard box, out while Young tried and tried and tried and nothing came off. Kind of sums up the difference in class and danger they possess, IMO.
To me Ashley Young has been our best outfield player this year, so I don't know how much anyone out classes him in danger.

bucky

To me Ashley Young has been our best outfield player this year, so I don't know how much anyone out classes him in danger.
If he's been your best player, then it says a lot of our season and how far off we are.

Brwned

Depends on how you want to define danger, I guess. If it's about beating a man and messing up the final ball then Young's absolutely out there on his own as our standout player this season. I find that more frustrating than impressive myself.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Not quite. He played wing back up until Christmas and was never great offensively; defensively, he wasn't bad. Since he came back from his hamstring injury, he's started 11 games in a row and was terrific against City, good against Spurs, Newcastle, Liverpool and Today and was poor in the rest (along with everyone else). That, for me, doesn't constitute the best outfield player of the season. I'd say Carrick has been near enough perfect in every game he's played, however, given his injury record, it may not be feasbile; Smalling after him and then maybe Blind and Young.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I was fuming early in that second half. Said to myself feck we are relying on Young to win it for us. And then he takes the initiative and gets it done. He keeps proving us all wrong. He deserves all the credit and an England call may soon follow.

ZDwyr

Was great. Worked very hard and his passion was evident. Lacked quality on a few crosses but in the end he set up the goal that won us the game and had the beating of Ward a lot. Di Maria could learn a few things from him.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
He did relatively well.

The sad part is that is considered a good performance at United these days. The standards at this club have taken a nosedive.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Depends on how you want to define danger, I guess. If it's about beating a man and messing up the final ball then Young's absolutely out there on his own as our standout player this season. I find that more frustrating than impressive myself.
You've been slagging him off all season but strange timing to use that phrase in a game where he got two assists. No doubt you'd be waxing lyrical if Di Maria had put in the same performance. Feck it, just seeing him beat his fullback as often as Young did would have had people reaching for the superlatives.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Crossing is a tough art. Stands to reason the success rate will not be that high (I believe the overall success rate in the league was around 25% last season). And aside from that, he attempts to put most of his crosses into a dangerous area rather than try to pick someone specific out. Which means even his unsuccessful crosses are not wholly useless and can/have lead to scoring chances this season. Unless we sign a proper world class Left winger Young is not going to be displaced any time soon. Touch luck to the haters!

You've been slagging him off all season but strange timing to use that phrase in a game where he got two assists. No doubt you'd be waxing lyrical if Di Maria had put in the same performance. Feck it, just seeing him beat his fullback as often as Young did would have had people reaching for the superlatives.
Liverpool game being a pretty good example. Was getting praised in some quarters for the assist ignoring that he was diabolical for the rest of the game. Far worse than Young has ever been this season.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I think it's undeniable that Young should be doing much better with his final ball considering the crossing positions and space he sometimes finds himself in(due to mostly his own work and some due to some incisive passing).

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Come on his final ball was shocking yesterday. Think his lack of left foot was the reason but 3 or 4 times he ballooned crosses to the stands or out for a throw in. Still, considering his contribution won us the game, sort of then he has to get credit. Beat his man for fun too.

NotQuiteManc

Provide the thrusts the team needed yesterday. Never shirks against the full back and always ready to help when defending. He is playing out of his skin at the moment. MOM if not DDG for yesterday's match. Looking forward to see him vs. Bellerin next. :drool:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I agree with the above posts. He's regained confidence in beating his man, but boy has his final product been suspect all season. He did manage one decent cross in the end but that was a bit iffy due to the Falcao/Speroni pushing going on. He really needs to up his final ball. And winning a penalty from an opponent hand balling is an assist? What?

Treble

Credit to his efforts and contributions this season. But he is not what United need in terms of first choice wingers..

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Credit to his efforts and contributions this season. But he is not what United need in terms of first choice wingers..
Wouldn't be a first choice winger though. We will need back up as the season progresses unless you feel we should be promoting the youth?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I agree with the above posts. He's regained confidence in beating his man, but boy has his final product been suspect all season. He did manage one decent cross in the end but that was a bit iffy due to the Falcao/Speroni pushing going on. He really needs to up his final ball. And winning a penalty from an opponent hand balling is an assist? What?
It's an assist. That's not opinion. That's how the stat works. He created the situation to deliver the cross all by himself and the cross obviously put the defender in an awkward position. Hence it was a decent cross. As assists go, it would definitely belong in the category where the assister deserves credit. Which isn't always the case with this particular stat.

Orton

It's an assist. That's not opinion. That's how the stat works. He created the situation to deliver the cross all by himself and the cross obviously put the defender in an awkward position. Hence it was a decent cross. As assists go, it would definitely belong in the category where the assister deserves credit. Which isn't always the case with this particular stat.
Like when it's Di Maria you mean?

People rip into Falcao but what about when he sent Young through and he took an awful touch. What about when young got into a superb position (more than once) with players waiting and ballooned a simple cross into the stands? Same things other players get ripped into for. Pretty sure in Di Maria's appearance last week he put in 3 awful crosses but 2 brilliant ones. The different criteria for certain players and judging performances is as clear an agenda as anything.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

People rip into Falcao but what about when he sent Young through and he took an awful touch. What about when young got into a superb position (more than once) with players waiting and ballooned a simple cross into the stands? Same things other players get ripped into for. Pretty sure in Di Maria's appearance last week he put in 3 awful crosses but 2 brilliant ones. The different criteria for certain players and judging performances is as clear an agenda as anything.
Yesterday Young was our best player. Against West Brom Di Maria was our worst. There's no agenda posting going on

Orton

Yesterday Young was our best player. Against West Brom Di Maria was our worst. There's no agenda posting going on
In regards to the assist stat, that's exactly what it looks like. Young was probably our best player yesterday but it doesn't hide that he was terribly wasteful for most of the match.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet

Way to exaggerate things.

The ball to send Young through reared up on him. Hardly an awful touch. If that's an awful touch then I'd hate to think what you've made of some of Falcao's touches this season.

Orton

The ball to send Young through reared up on him. Hardly an awful touch. If that's an awful touch then I'd hate to think what you've made of some of Falcao's touches this season.
What about all of his terrible crosses before the goal?

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
What about all of his terrible crosses before the goal?
Not all of them were terrible. And they were more than made up for by the cross for the goal and being our only attacking who attempted to create anything. The rest were busy playing pointless one-two's on the halfway line.

No one's saying he's been putting up ballon d'or performances. Just strange to see him get stick despite him being generally a lot more threatening than any of our supposedly creative players.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

Wait, that is the one he is talking about? He says other people have an agenda because of that moment?

BTW, has Young been fouled/crossed for another penalty this year?

Orton

Wait, that is the one he is talking about? He says other people have an agenda because of that moment?

BTW, has Young been fouled/crossed for another penalty this year?
Assists, assists. Jeez, did you read what I said? It was clearly in regards to the crossing and assists. Also, yes young probably was our best outfield player but the team were absolutely shite. We've lowered our standards so much that people like yourself believe only a world class player putting in world class performances every week should replace young in the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.