Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ForestRGoinUp

I honestly feel about Ashley Young like Michael Scott feels about Toby Flenderson in the US Office. I don't know why but his existence at our club explains so fecking much about why we're shite.
This! Hahahahaha it’s so true.

Foxbatt

Why can't he put in a decent cross? Surely an England International player should be able to beat the first man standing in front of you?

Idxomer

Really? As much criticism as that performance deserves, that's not one of the traits I would associate with Young.
Yes, really. There's no element of surprise in his play, he has usual patterns of play that usually leads to nothing. When he gets found out which happens often, he looks absolutely clueless without any idea on how to change up his game which is in the first place as mediocre as it gets. I give him though some points for convincing two managers he's good enough to be a united player these last few years.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That's atrocious. :(
Yet not surprising if you consider where he was crossing the ball from :lol: He is too predictable so their young RB blocked him to one side and forced him to cross it all the time from deep. This requires some great passing ability and Young isn't that player. If he would change his game up, go on the inside and outside, he would confuse them and create better space for himself.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I feel for him in that he has nothing going on in front of him most of the time and he'd be a decent squad option/voice in the dressing room for many a team but captain and first choice fullback is just ridiculous. You look around Europe and don't see anything like this kind of carry on among our (former :() peers, barring injury crises.

Ekeke

Yet not surprising if you consider where he was crossing the ball from :lol: He is too predictable so their young RB blocked him to one side and forced him to cross it all the time from deep. This requires some great passing ability and Young isn't that player. If he would change his game up, go on the inside and outside, he would confuse them and create better space for himself.
Exactly.

Not just Young, but Martial and Pogba too. They all had lots of oppertunities to play the ball in from the left. All of them faked going on the outside and faked crossing with their left foot.

I think it was something like the 80th minute where Martial finally did what he had threatened all game and went on the outside and won a freekick because he was getting away.

Any wide player who doesn't give you a good reason to worry about them going on the outside and delivering the ball is going to be managed very easily. You need to show that you are comfortable doing it and that its dangerous to let you do it, else the defender can be content to see you go wide and use your weaker foot. Thats what they want you to do until theres a reason to be scared of it.

We kept faking it over and over but never gave Palace a reason to be scared of it, so it never caused a problem and we repeatedly came inside crossing the ball from deeper where Palace were 100% setup and organized to defend every cross because it was never mixed up.

kouroux

Exactly.

Not just Young, but Martial and Pogba too. They all had lots of oppertunities to play the ball in from the left. All of them faked going on the outside and faked crossing with their left foot.

I think it was something like the 80th minute where Martial finally did what he had threatened all game and went on the outside and won a freekick because he was getting away.

Any wide player who doesn't give you a good reason to worry about them going on the outside and delivering the ball is going to be managed very easily. You need to show that you are comfortable doing it and that its dangerous to let you do it, else the defender can be content to see you go wide and use your weaker foot. Thats what they want you to do until theres a reason to be scared of it.

We kept faking it over and over but never gave Palace a reason to be scared of it, so it never caused a problem and we repeatedly came inside crossing the ball from deeper where Palace were 100% setup and organized to defend every cross because it was never mixed up.
This isn't meant as a comparison but if you look at Neymar (at Barca) or Hazard, this is what they do so well. They confuse their opponents by changing directions so much, the defender cannot anticipate so easily. I wouldn't have an issue with Young being predictable if his crossing was world class

Devil may care

Yeah, when he plays LB he refuses to go on the outside most of the time, so the cut in and then in -swinger cross is repeated over and over so he's easy to read for the RB he's up against and the CB's know what is coming each time. It's crazy that a club out size doesn't have a proper back-up LB and are using this aging Jack of all trades so much.

kouroux

Yeah, when he plays LB he refuses to go on the outside most of the time, so the cut in and then in -swinger cross is repeated over and over so he's easy to read for the RB he's up against and the CB's know what is coming each time. It's crazy that a club out size doesn't have a proper back-up LB and are using this aging Jack of all trades so much.
Yup. Those crosses require so great accuracy because of the angle he has

haram

This is all the width we have at the club. Not to mention when he plays on the left he has to cut inside anyway. What a fecking disgrace.

Got a good deal of respect for Young,especially in developing into a good fullback later on in his career.But time has caught up with him.He's no longer capable of being a first choice fullback especially for a club our size who have,or used to have,aspirations of being one of the major sides in Europe.

Southampton 2:2 Man Utd

ABC of Football

That was the worst performance I've seen from a United player in a long time. A lot of players had an awful match, but Young was the worst, which says it all. The amount of crosses and passes which were wasted today was unbelievable.

NinjaFletch

At least he did us a favour and got himself suspended at the end so we get a break from his consistent atrociousness.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He did a job when needed and I rate him highly for that. He’s not doing it now and we have to stop playing him. Just what is going on at this fecking club?

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Why does this guy still play? You won't see me slating players after awful games but this guy has certainly hit a nerve today.

Deep in crunch time this guy makes a silly foul to give Southampton a chance to waste more time. The he gets 2 free kicks in dangerous areas and both times failed to deliver a dangerous ball. All of this happening in crunch time. I'm so mad at him right now.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's a disgrace he still starts for us. A complete disgrace. For a former winger,his quality on the ball is just a bit better than Valencia's.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
It's a disgrace he still starts for us. A complete disgrace. For a former winger,his quality on the ball is just a bit better than Valencia's.
I'm fuming right now. Just his play in added time has me annoyed completely. The stupid foul and those 2 awful crosses in added time had me smashing my head.

Stadjer

Counter chance, Pogba passes to Young and what does Young do? He crosses it towards the cornerflag :houllier:

Stupid to get a yellow card too... hopefully Shaw is fit for the Arsenal game and Shaw and Dalot can start that game as fullbacks.

Idxomer

I don't hate footballers in general, but this guy is the exception. He's almost always atrocious in all those positions he plays and on top of that an immensely unlikable character and a clear representation of the mediocrity this club fell into.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Horrible performance by Young these last few games. To think he isn't playing in the championship by now.

Minimalist

I hope in brighter days to come we look back in disgust at the likes of Young playing (and fecking captaining) for Man Utd.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Crap once again. Absolute joke that he's the captain too. Has to be moved on this summer, along with Valencia.

drdoityourself

The crossing is well and truly awful but my biggest gripe with him as a fullback, and has been ever since he started playing as one, is the build up play. The play up from the back.
There is zero thought there, no idea on how his pass will help the team. He either puts it blindly down the corner, or his short passing and movement into spaces are so slow and unnatural that the team can't get forward.

He is finally being found out as the below par fullback this team has settled for.
Hopefully he won't be given an extra year because a new manager wants to assess the squad. That has saved him two times already.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
and on top of that an immensely unlikable character
He's terrible at the moment but what? He's a dead nice bloke whenever he's in a feature of some kind, and did a decent job for a while when first called back into the team. Stayed fit and ready to jump in and actually put a good cross in which was a massive breath of fresh air, which multiple people echoed on here. He shouldn't have been needed for this long and to be quite honest isn't because Dalot should be playing instead, but that's not his fault. For some reason his crossing has since gone worse than anyone's, which is his fault, but I still wouldn't question his character of all things.

Sauldogba

Worst player to play over 100 games for us.
Infact hes one of the worst players ever to wear the shirt.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I thought there won't be worse captain than Valencia, but somehow Young looks even funnier wearing the armband. He is really not captain material by any means, I am not sure anyone takes him seriously. It would be like Phil Jones wearing the armband.

izec

Getting an extension is a complete joke. Give him away for free, the 1 game out of 10 where he isnt completely shit isnt worth it

AndyJ1985

Several years later and Ashley Young is still Manchester Uniteds full back. Oh and he's getting an extension. It's like we're being run by a Liverpool fan

WPMUFC

The selection of Young today was just another indication and another confirmation that we are facing Jose's Chelsea meltdown over Xmas again. Young did absolutely NOTHING in that game, like the previous 2 games. We were essentially playing one man down for 90 mins. A waste of space that would likely be a bench player for Southampton, if not a Championship starter for a mid-table championship team.

Djemba-Djemba

Those last few minutes sum up Ashley Young.

Chance to put a dangerous free kick into the Southampton area, fecking awful delivery.

90 seconds later does a needless stupid foul which could have led to Southampton nicking it.

Then finally, gets another chance to deliver a quality set piece into the Southampton area, another fecking awful delivery.

He's shite, and it's embarrassing that it's almost 2019 and Ashley Young is still regularly playing games for us

Status
Not open for further replies.