Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashley R1+O

He'll never get the credit he deserves because a lot of people wrote him off and will forever refuse to admit they were wrong. But the guy is great on his day, and a true winner in the Fergie mould.
Looks like it. Worked hard today and got a nice goal. Embodies the United mentality that every single player should be playing towards.

kidbob

Looks like it. Worked hard today and got a nice goal. Embodies the United mentality that every single player should be playing towards.
I feel he embodies the spirit but not the absolute quality of a United player. I actually like the guy but he's never been at the required level. As you said he works hard and will always have moments of quality and sometimes full games of quality but he has always lacked consistency. Nani had the United spirit too (I have seen him have awful games but he never hid from the ball) but he also possessed far greater quality and even then he was slated a lot. I'd run my heart out for this club but there's a reason I don't play for them.

As @Dante said he's great on his day but the problem is that isn't good enough for a top team. I love his attitude and wish we could instill that in many of our players but honestly he isn't good enough to start for a team with ambition.

Ashley R1+O

I feel he embodies the spirit but not the absolute quality of a United player.
Well obviously. He's 33 and he's in the twilight of his career.

At the end of the day, if you're shit but you work hard people can say "oh well, he worked his balls off and that is all he can give".
If you are brilliant and you don't give an arse, if you're shit people will say "what the feck?He's so much more talented, why is he not trying? This is bollocks!?"

I know which one I'd prefer in general. This is all we can do for a 33yo player who is a leadership piece in a team lacking leadership in almost every area.

I get it, he's not brilliant. But he gives a balls and that is enough for me to respect him and his contributions when they are good. He's never stopped giving a feck and downed tools and that's why he gets respect. He's an important piece in the relief of Luke Shaw who has just been given the reins to the left back spot despite still having huge questions to be asked of his game. If he's there to shelter Shaw and keep him honest then that is fine.

kidbob

Well obviously. He's 33 and he's in the twilight of his career.

At the end of the day, if you're shit but you work hard people can say "oh well, he worked his balls off and that is all he can give".
If you are brilliant and you don't give an arse, if you're shit people will say "what the feck?He's so much more talented, why is he not trying? This is bollocks!?"

I know which one I'd prefer in general. This is all we can do for a 33yo player who is a leadership piece in a team lacking leadership in almost every area.

I get it, he's not brilliant. But he gives a balls and that is enough for me to respect him and his contributions when they are good. He's never stopped giving a feck and downed tools and that's why he gets respect. He's an important piece in the relief of Luke Shaw who has just been given the reins to the left back spot despite still having huge questions to be asked of his game. If he's there to shelter Shaw and keep him honest then that is fine.
I agree with all this. Like I said I like Young but I thought you guys were talking about him being a starter. My bad.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
If Martial is not ready , i would be tempted to give him as Left winger with Shaw as Left Back. He can still do the job there.

Edit - against liverpool

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He gives 100% of his 65% every time. Sometimes it ends up in a goal or assist. Usually results in poor football across the pitch. Always runs around. Never should be starting a game unless no other options are available

He'll never get the credit he deserves because a lot of people wrote him off and will forever refuse to admit they were wrong. But the guy is great on his day, and a true winner in the Fergie mould.
He was a sub in Fergie's day and that was in his prime and in his preferred position. He doesn't get the credit because he's nowhere near good enough to start for us, even if he does show the right attitude.

el3mel

Just because he scored a good goal doesn't change anything.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I’d rather have someone in the side with limited ability that gave everything for the cause than a world class player who only tries when they fancy it.

Trizy

People wrote him off because he was terrible for us as a winger for large parts of his time here. Mind you, as a left back he's been fine imo.

KennyBurner

watching the game again today for a second time and what I can't fecking understand is that why can't he always play like this? This meaning playing intricate passes and not booting the ball long into the air once under pressure. yes he plays with his heart on his sleeve every game but that usually goes handing in hand with Route 1 tactics. Today he actually tried to play the ball and when he couldn't find an option in tight spaces actually took the ball under control and switched it to the other flank. he rarely does this in big games or against decent opposition.

Does this go back to a tactical instruction by the manager or do these lot always pick and choose when to be elite? If its the former then its just disgraceful how mourinho is with this team and puts a negative perspective on actual player quality. A lot of our players might actually know how to play nice football but are just being hindered by the manager based on who the opposition is.

Bwuk

watching the game again today for a second time and what I can't fecking understand is that why can't he always play like this? This meaning playing intricate passes and not booting the ball long into the air once under pressure. yes he plays with his heart on his sleeve every game but that usually goes handing in hand with Route 1 tactics. Today he actually tried to play the ball and when he couldn't find an option in tight spaces actually took the ball under control and switched it to the other flank. he rarely does this in big games or against decent opposition.

Does this go back to a tactical instruction by the manager or do these lot always pick and choose when to be elite? If its the former then its just disgraceful how mourinho is with this team and puts a negative perspective on actual player quality. A lot of our players might actually know how to play nice football but are just being hindered by the manager based on who the opposition is.
Because we played Fulham and had freedom of the flank. Odoi is dreadful.

KennyBurner

Because we played Fulham and had freedom of the flank. Odoi is dreadful.
yh that is true but it doesn't answer why we cant always play like this against better opposition. Even against other bottom feeders we always seem to struggle playing fluid football so whats different this time around? Im guessing the introduction of Dalot created more space for our central players to be more effective. Attacking down the wide areas while retaining possession? Won't know till we play liverpool next week but we have to keep this mentality of pressing high while keeping possession. I don't want to see Young booting the ball in the air next week or im going to lose it!

Ashley R1+O

I agree with all this. Like I said I like Young but I thought you guys were talking about him being a starter. My bad.
Fair enough mate, no sweat. For what it is worth the fullback positions are an allround shambles that transcends the individuality of the group of players (and imo the manager as well).

Shaw is essentially now a senior starting player after having a myriad of problems through his first contract and is now being paid like one on a high salary. Our backups are reformed wingers and then we have a starting right back who is a reformed winger that now has injury problems and the backup is probably somebody who should be backup to an actual experienced first team starter and play 15-20 appearances as a backup but we've now fallen into the position of Young covering two positions as well as possibly being first choice through a shaky platform of fullbacks. It's a mess that should have been sorted a few years ago but looking at the Woodward/Manager relationship I can understand why it isn't.

Right now I think we need players who give an arse about getting on with the job of getting us back into the top four and re-grouping at the end of the season. It's obvious we've taken a battering but there looks to be some nice green shoots forming and I'd much rather treasure the grafters who give a bollock at the moment than the star studded players who have no consequences when it comes failing. I personally am not happy for them to just be going "well everyone's shit what can I do" which the fans seem to be lapping up and repeating at the moment.

There is a job on here and I would be taking more Young's in my fox hole any day of the week regardless of how well they are playing. Sorry I should say "how good they are as talents"

But you're right and I agree with what you are saying about "prefer better quality" I do as well. But we're getting by with what we have at the moment and we have to look for inspiration of any kind.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Did well in the first half. Took his goal beautifully, but second half you could again see that his talent doesn't quite match his heart and effort.

Paul_Scholes18

Been listening to the song forever young this morning haha. Good performance from Young yesterday. He fights for this club with passion which should be admired. He might look old on the surface, but he will remain forever young ;).

Last edited:

Holocene

Young had Salah in his pocket last season. Let's hope he can do it again.

yardieUnited

People really love to exaggerate how good he was last season.

He had a couple of good games but the rest were just like this one today.

el3mel

But he plays with heart! Never mind that he's terrible times almost all the time.

Disgrace how can our captain be Young. If that was for another club I'll be laughing my arse off at him.

I'm sick of seeing him. He costs us goal after goal with his positioning. This guy was a barely used sub when he was in his prime, now at 33 years old hes a starter and our captain.

Last edited:

Devil81

I'm sick of seeing him. He's costs us goal after goal with his positioning. This guy was a barely used sub when he was in his prime, now at 33 years old hes a starter and our captain.
Was here to post the same thing, how can you go from a reserve team winger who was never off the sick bed to captain and full back...

The clubs in a right state but this story has to be up there with the most insane of them all.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I quite like him in the opposing half, but we're rarely in there anyway. He can still be a threat up there, and why he looks decent in games like against Fulham. Put in a couple of good crosses today, but that was it.

Defensively he is crap. Really poor. Much worse than Valencia who, under LvG anyway, became a strong defender when his attacking prowess deteriorated. Young is a makeshift option, the kind that you'd be fine with starting in home games against the bottom half, but definitely not in away games against the top sides. He is all over the place positionally.

And definitely not captain. It's just a weird choice that seems to be on time served and not on overall influence.

Devil81

I quite like him in the opposing half, but we're rarely in there anyway. He can still be a threat up there, and why he looks decent in games like against Fulham. Put in a couple of good crosses today, but that was it.

Defensively he is crap. Really poor. Much worse than Valencia who, under LvG anyway, became a strong defender when his attacking prowess deteriorated. Young is a makeshift option, the kind that you'd be fine with starting in home games against the bottom half, but definitely not in away games against the top sides. He is all over the place positionally.

And definitely not captain. It's just a weird choice that seems to be on time served and not on overall influence.
He's now that important he was afford a rest during the midweek Champions league game...

Madness.

MAME DIOUF 32

How shit are Mitchell and Borthwick-Jackson that we'd rather keep picking Young at left back?

steakpie

He is a defensive iiability. Against Newcastle was the worst when he let them score and then started shouting at others.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
People really love to exaggerate how good he was last season.

He had a couple of good games but the rest were just like this one today.
He was good in the first half of the season. Then he got suspended and missed a few games, and was poor for the second half of the season. Unfortunately it's been that form that has continued this season.

Sylar

Him turning his back on the second goal was the worst one. First one happens and will happen cos hes not a defensively minded player who will be proactive in those situations.

But the second goal, was cowardly.

AndyJ1985

We seem to have a lot of players who you look at and think "How the FECK is he STILL at the club?" and Ashley Young is one of them.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Amazes me how much he gets away with. Some other players would get killed by the media and fans if they made the mistakes he makes. But he gets rewarded with captaincy.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Will be beautiful to see him against Mbappe and Neymar. Will hopefully seal his retirement

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Was my MotM today. His workrate was exceptional and gave us so much width going forward. Full backs attacking like this dictates your team’s mentality. Genuinely don’t care if I am in the minority with him, but glad Ole realised that we needed an ultra attacking full back on the right to address our lack of attacking options there.

Idxomer

Good performance from him today and it's refreshing not seeing him being our main outlet in attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.