Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

slyadams

I thought he was exceptional today. Great outlet, composed, consistent superb delivery. Couldn’t fault him.

Was my MotM today. His workrate was exceptional and gave us so much width going forward. Full backs attacking like this dictates your team’s mentality. Genuinely don’t care if I am in the minority with him, but glad Ole realised that we needed an ultra attacking full back on the right to address our lack of attacking options there.
He’s a good player, and he deserves to be captain. He’s clearly not the best defensively at times, but more than makes up for it with his productivity going forward. He’s got the right attitude. Dalot will get games, but he’s a young player who has less than 20 first team matches under his belt, so should be in and out. I hope to god this finally ends Valencia’s career.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Young played very well, but hopefully we see more Dalot and less Young from now on.

Fracture90

Think he spent 80% of his game time in the opposition half playing as a RW-RWB and that says a lot.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
He's a great squad option but we need to slowly get Dalot more involved. I'd like to see him be a backup to the left back spot next season, with Dalot and Fosu-Mensah competing for the right back spot.

Man Utd 3:1 Huddersfield

Devil may care

I know Ole brought him on for experience but his crossing on the RW is poor and he's not even great defensively a lot of the time, the fullback positions are still in need of strengthening in depth IMO.

I know Ole brought him on for experience but his crossing on the RW is poor and he's not even great defensively a lot of the time, the fullback positions are still in need of strengthening in depth IMO.
I think everyone at the club is aware (or bloody well should be!) that we need to strengthen our FB positions. He is our best RB at the moment, Dalot needs time to bed in, he's still played less than 20 first team matches, so nothing wrong with him coming off. I'm certain Young will be here next season, if Dalot can push on the next 6 months I think we will buy a LB to compete with Shaw with Darmian and Valencia jettisoned as quickly as possible.

FujiVice

Trying to con people into thinking he's a young player, by the looks of things. 5 year contract coming soon.

Seriously, though, I really like him. Seems like a absolute pro. Shouldnt be starting every week obviously, but he has enough good games to warrant a place as a rotation player. I'm happy to see him still at this club. Absolutely loved by every manager we have had here as well, so cant see Ole not giving him game time.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Strikes me as the kinda guy that will stay on as a coach after he's done playing. Seems to have a lot of influence in the dressing room.

Devil may care

Made the right runs but offers so little threat when he gets the ball, I guess he's gonna be starting over Dalot for the time being but RB is a huge weak link in this team right now.

RMD83

Excellent today again. I would be pleased to see him sign a new contract. He’s experienced, versatile, a hard worker, a great athlete and more importantly a very good player. We need to look to the future but he is well worthy of a spot in the squad going forward.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Made the right runs but offers so little threat when he gets the ball, I guess he's gonna be starting over Dalot for the time being but RB is a huge weak link in this team right now.
What? He’s our best crosser at the club and that is evidenced by him taking our indirect set pieces. What fecking matches are you watching? He’s a superb full back, whose main failing is having to win over people who can’t seperate him and Valencia from being two lackluster wingers one of whom remains a quality full back and the other is done.

Devil may care

What? He’s our best crosser at the club and that is evidenced by him taking our indirect set pieces. What fecking matches are you watching? He’s a superb full back, whose main failing is having to win over people who can’t seperate him and Valencia from being two lackluster wingers one of whom remains a quality full back and the other is done.
I don't even know what to say to this, his crossing is shite, our set piece are shite because he's taking them, and he's miles away from being a superb fullback, I know what games I've been watching, I'm more interested in what you've been smoking while watching them. :D

Mailo

I love this guy and his mentality, but we definitely need an upgrade. Think he is very respected and liked in the squad.

arthurka

Nothing wrong with him.. He can still do a job and help us breed in Shaw and Dalot..

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I don't even know what to say to this, his crossing is shite, our set piece are shite because he's taking them, and he's miles away from being a superb fullback, I know what games I've been watching, I'm more interested in what you've been smoking while watching them. :D
He went from never having played full back to becoming first choice for club and country, a World Cup semi finalist no less, in the space of a year and a bit. This is Fellaini syndrome all over again where keyboard warriors think their narrow minded opinion of the player is better than multiple managers who they play under.

DCP

He’s been doing very little wrong.

Not the greatest right back in the world but does the job we ask of him very well, yes he needs replacing but the gulf in class isn’t huge.

He’s gone from winger to number 10 go left back and then to right back. Talk about adaptability.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Just to follow up on this, he’s 5th in the league for completed crosses per 90 from full back and 10th for any wide player. Worth remembering that we’ve generally been considered to be shite this year and struggled to get forward at times. Young completes a cross three times as frequently as Shaw, and nearly four and eight times respectively as Robertson and Walker. Of all the things to knock Young for, crossing ain’t one.

Bwuk

Happy for him to stay as a squad player but never a starter.

Devil may care

Just to follow up on this, he’s 5th in the league for completed crosses per 90 from full back and 10th for any wide player. Worth remembering that we’ve generally been considered to be shite this year and struggled to get forward at times. Young completes a cross three times as frequently as Shaw, and nearly four and eight times respectively as Robertson and Walker. Of all the things to knock Young for, crossing ain’t one.
You rattled off narrow minded in the prior post and then use lame crutch stats to try and back up an opinion. Stats are horsehit most of the time as what constitutes a completed cross or a shot on target in the compiled data is so flimsy. Narrow minded is basing your views of these bullshit methods, actually watching the games is how to judge and he is a medicore fullback at best and should not be starting for a club of our size. I don't care that 2 managers played him at fullback, Southgate dumped him the minute his better options were fit, he went to the World Cup due to injuries, we still have him because while our club will invest huge sums of money in forwards and marketable players like Pogba, they don't want to pay the going rate for a top fullback which is £50M these days, so the managers are stuck with him, he starts for us as our only other option is an inexperienced kid who has barely played 30 senior games, and as for Fellaini syndrome, again bullshit, he's nowhere near good enough either, this is the problem, standards at United have been lowered to where Fellaini in midfield and the likes of Young and Valencia at fullback are accepted, we are never going to put in a title challenge while players of that level are mainstays in our matchday 18, they'd never get a sniff at any of the clubs actually competing for top trophies.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
they'd never get a sniff at any of the clubs actually competing for top trophies
You'd rather have Delph or Zinchenko? Or Danilo or "Sicknote" Mendy? Or heck Walker this season? Young's better than all them over the past couple of years. Young would hold down a place at any of the top sides bar maybe Chelsea, and Liverpool this season. He's better than Davies or Rose or Aurier, better than Bellerin and the other crap at Arsenal, better than much of what City's crazy money has got them. The recent investment and mass of mediocrity at full back at other top clubs should tell people a lot about what we could have spent big on in recent seasons and been worse off with.

Yeah, he's Ashley Young. I didn't imagine sitting here a few years ago and thinking Young would be a fine Premier League full back, but here we are. England are probably right to move on with much young talent and the next summer comp being 18 months away, but choosing to move a player on is a different question than whether to acquire a player. England can roll the dice for free. We cannot.

Behave. You're zoning in on the wrong player. You can melt down Valencia for glue. He's done. Young is a different story. He'll be here this season and here the next too, no matter who the next manager is. If we want a serious upgrade on him, then that might be more difficult than it seems.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He gives maturity and wisdom to players around him. He gives very little offensively in RB. Need an upgrade there

Devil may care

You'd rather have Delph or Zinchenko? Or Danilo or "Sicknote" Mendy? Or heck Walker this season? Young's better than all them over the past couple of years. Young would hold down a place at any of the top sides bar maybe Chelsea, and Liverpool this season. He's better than Davies or Rose or Aurier, better than Bellerin and the other crap at Arsenal, better than much of what City's crazy money has got them. The recent investment and mass of mediocrity at full back at other top clubs should tell people a lot about what we could have spent big on in recent seasons and been worse off with.

Yeah, he's Ashley Young. I didn't imagine sitting here a few years ago and thinking Young would be a fine Premier League full back, but here we are. England are probably right to move on with much young talent and the next summer comp being 18 months away, but choosing to move a player on is a different question than whether to acquire a player. England can roll the dice for free. We cannot.

Behave. You're zoning in on the wrong player. You can melt down Valencia for glue. He's done. Young is a different story. He'll be here this season and here the next too, no matter who the next manager is. If we want a serious upgrade on him, then that might be more difficult than it seems.
Oooooo behave! :lol: Maybe you didn't see that old TV show........anyway I'd take Walker and Mendy over him and so would anyone else with a lick of common sense as pretty much everyone else in this thread can see RB desperately needs upgrading bar you, but man I am enjoying United way too much now Mourinho is gone to engage in this lunacy any further, I just cannot fathom where you are getting this idea from that he's a good fullback, if he is starting here next season then we can forget any kind of title challenge, you can take that to the bank, but beyond that happy new year mate.

Canagel

The quality of his crosses are poor. Most of them are just punts aimed at the direction of Fellaini. hasn't got the whip and speed Robertson uses.
He works hard but is major weak point in the team. He's not a RB anyway

Tiber

A very very far past it winger converted into a fullback that offers very little going forward.... I don't get it to be honest, get Dalot on the field to get the experience that he needs. Though I suppose I didn't think he was good enough to be a starter in his prime either so perhaps im just blind to his merits.

He did a great job controlling a killer long range pass today (can't remember who it was from) and just controlling the ball was a great bit of skill. Then he just stood still and utterly wasted the opportunity.

Devil may care

He did a great job controlling a killer long range pass today (can't remember who it was from) and just controlling the ball was a great bit of skill. Then he just stood still and utterly wasted the opportunity.
Pogba hit him 3 times with wonderful crossfield balls and one he botched the control on and the other 2 he took well and then did nothing with.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The quality of his crosses are poor. Most of them are just punts aimed at the direction of Fellaini. hasn't got the whip and speed Robertson uses.
He works hard but is major weak point in the team. He's not a RB anyway
Asthetics of a cross is nice thing to have, I enjoyed Herrera’s peach today for example, but I’d rather have the player who has created 34 chances for a teammate from a cross over the past two seasons than the one who has only done so 15 times in more minutes for what everyone would agree has been a far more attacking side. Fewer assists too from crosses, for what it’s worth, but key passes is the better performance indicator.

C’mon guys, if you are going to disparage someone’s game, don’t do it for a repeatable skill that can be disapproved with decent volumes of data.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I've no problem with him, in fact I think he's one of few players who 'gets' what it is to be a Utd player.

That said, he is limited, he is what he is and he never gives anything but 100%.

But, given his age, he's nothing more but a sticking plaster at this stage.

It it was up to me I'd release Valencia (with thanks), give Young an extension and sign a a new first choice RB.... & give Dalot time.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Young was poor in the second half of last season and also the start of this season. Before that period he'd actually been very good at leftback every time he got the opportunity for the previous few years, massively outperforming every other option except for the few months that Shaw had in 15/16 before his devastating injury. People tend to forget he was quite comfortably the best leftback in the league in the first half of last season before his form fell away.

The question we have right now is how is he going to be for the remainder of this season and perhaps next season? From what we've seen there is a definite question mark over his defensive play this season, where he certainly hasn't been as good as he has been the last few seasons. I'm not sure whether it's age starting to get to him, the team as a whole not playing and particularly defending well, or the fact that he was playing on the right instead of the left. Or perhaps a combination of all of them.

Right now I still consider him our best rightback, but there are definite question marks over him. Hopefully he can get back to a similar level of form as what he showed in the first half of last season, but I wouldn't say that I'm confident.

Status
Not open for further replies.