BBC: United hold talks with Mourinho

Would you be happy to see Jose Mourinho become next United manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I'm more excited by the possibilities with this Berta fellow than Mourinho. He looks like the proper DoF we've been missing since Gill.

El-Manos

The love in for Pochettino confuses me.

This is a manager who was fired at Espanyol with a 30% win rate, left Southampton with a 35% win rate and at Spurs, with decent resources, and at a time where United, Chelsea and Liverpool are as weak as they've ever been (and City/Arsenal are hardly setting records), he's only keeping pace with the leaders.

United have tried a manager who looked solid with less resources. He didn't work. If we're going to look to smaller clubs for managers, they need to have been successful like Fergie was at Aberdeen or José was at Porto.

Pochettino has never won a trophy. Anywhere. He's being overrated this year, not because he's good, but because the top sides are so bad.
I tend to agree with this. Pochettino is simply a risk we cannot afford at the moment due to the prior weak managerial appointments who have simply failed to bring this club forward. Mourinho makes the most sense, whether we like it or not. A proven winner is needed now to re-establish this club as a serious contender for the league and in Europe. United found themselves in the comfort zone managerial wise, considering Ferguson wasn't going anywhere and was one of the best managers the game has ever witnessed, consistently winning trophies for over a decade. Liverpool, Chelsea, City, all top teams have been forced to adapt and quickly act when it comes to appointing a new manager as no success was guaranteed. They simply have a lot more experience than we do, when it comes to this.

Due to SAF's retirement, we found ourselves out of our successful comfort zone, to which we are now incredibly struggling. In truth, we handled the situation very badly. I would have expected us to be better prepared for SAF's departure but in truth we handled it terribly and the evidence has been highlighted by poor performances, wrong players/staff/ideas and managers brought into this club. I am going to be blunt here but whoever would prefer Pochettino over Mourinho at this moment in time, are simply overconfident. Our club needs a strong character, a proven winner who is reckless and drives this club forward no matter what. I am not even a Mourinho fan-boy by any means but I fail to see how anyone could think differently, the argument for him not being the number 1 contender for this spot is in fact non-existent considering the circumstances we have brought upon ourselves. We have joined City,Chelsea and many other clubs in this highly competitive environment , we need the right tools, players and manager to battle them. Time to appoint the only sensible option left.

Last edited:

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man

This is a manager who was fired at Espanyol with a 30% win rate, left Southampton with a 35% win rate and at Spurs, with decent resources, and at a time where United, Chelsea and Liverpool are as weak as they've ever been (and City/Arsenal are hardly setting records), he's only keeping pace with the leaders.

United have tried a manager who looked solid with less resources. He didn't work. If we're going to look to smaller clubs for managers, they need to have been successful like Fergie was at Aberdeen or José was at Porto.

Pochettino has never won a trophy. Anywhere. He's being overrated this year, not because he's good, but because the top sides are so bad.
Sry but to just look at win rate is a bit silly (it's also 33 percent at Espanyol and 38 at Southampton?). And how can anyone expect silverware at Espanyol or Southampton? Tottenham is the first side where he could come close to winning anything and it's a real possibilty this year. Moyes has a better win rate, but that doesn't make his job at United anything better, because of course you expect a team like us to win more games than Espanyol or Southampton. He took Espanyol over, when they were pretty much relegated, and with him they got a comfortable 10th place in the end and a solid second season after that too. He was sacked in his third season when things weren't that great anymore, but it's already good to survive there as long. He took over Southampton during the season, when they were a pointless midtable team and one season later he finished 8th with them and then already left. All teams played good football too and he is doing fine at Spurs now. Yeah the PL or at least the big teams are shit, but he is still doing a great job at Tottenham, it's not like we, Pool or Chelsea are anywhere close to them this year.
To just look at the win rate and to ignore which teams he took over (he improved all of them) is a bit unfair. Just a example, when you are the new manager of a team, which lost 20 out of 20 games and you leading them then to 5 wins, 4 draws and 11 defeats in the next 20, then you have improved the team already and it would be unfair to say you have done a shit job just because it still doesn't look that great when you only look at your stats.

I also don't think a comparison with Moyes is fair, Moyes always lacked the mentality, his big games record was absymal and he was only proven at one team, which he could barely improve after 2,3 seasons and then he stayed there in his ambition-less comfort zone for a decade. Pochettino is already more promising and if he wins silverware this year, then it's no contest anymore imo. That doesn't mean that it wouldn't be a risk or a gamble to an extend, of course he is not as proven as Jose or Carlo, but he is at least a guy who has the potential and could step up imo. Moyes was never in that category.

Longevity means little when a manager is working with a revolver near his head and ordered to deliver trophies on a year in year out basis. We're talking here about clubs capable of sacking managers whom, few months before, had won league and even CL titles. The only time Mourinho could develop youths (and to be fair he failed) was at Porto. However he did a magnificent job there working under a restricted budget. Also at Porto his aim was to win quickly and move somewhere else.

I don't feel that I can qualify myself as an expert about the man. However I do remember something about him during his time in Italy which impressed me. However before I can share it I have to give an idea of what Mourinho was in Italy. The man was considered a god there, someone who defied gravity by putting Manchester United of the iconic SAF in difficulty. He was full of confidence as his team was cruising to a historical treble despite losing up club favourite Ibra. His confrontational approach, his confidence and his mind games was nothing short from scandalous and infectious for the Italians who were used to the usual 'bow the head' to the football's padrinos and the people loved him for it as so many managers who had never experienced mind games fell to it miserably.

I remember this particular tv programme called il Chiambretti night. Chiambretti is quite controversial and self centered himself (he's got a programme called for him) and tend to invite people who are similar to him in a 1 to 1 meeting were he would explore their lives, their thoughts etc. Jose was spectacular in that program, a great show man oozing confidence from every direction. However when Chiambretti asked him about his record with youths all his confidence vanished and he suddenly became sad. He claimed that there was more to be done on this regard and that he would work hard to develop some of the Inter youths including Balotelli and Santon. He could have easily bypassed that question by saying that the only thing that truly matters is success. He was Inter's manager after all, a club who broke up with AC Milan because they wanted to buy shiny foreign talent, however he went into details and was quite emotional about it.

As you well know Mourinho didn't stayed long at Inter. Balotelli turned out to be a lazy cnut and Santon's picked a number of injuries which basically ruined him. However that interview convinced me that if the guy signs with a proper club than he will do his outmost to improve his record in this regard.
Maybe, maybe not. It's at least still a big if. I agree that his current clubs weren't really ideal places for youth development and maybe he can do better in that regard with us. But that remains a big if and other managers have already proved that they can deal better with young players, so I wouldn't expect too much from him when it comes to Youth players. I also think when we give him the job, then because we want trophies again pretty soon and Jose will make that his primary target, even if that mean youth players won't get a place in our team. That said, it's not like we have many young players stepping up, who could be key players for our first 11. But I like for example the fact that we didn't sign some random shitty fullback or even worse someone like Cole to fill a hole in the short-term and instead just gave Borthwick-Jackson some gametime.

itso 7

Also survived the Munich crash and helped lead the club back to greatness. But yeah, the Moyes thing cancels it all out.... Love your input.
Sir Bobby has done lots for this club but appreciation of those things shouldn't give him veto power on decisions that have major implications on the future of the club nor should what he and Fergie did give them the right yo treat our managerial post as a lab for experimenting on which British manager to try out. That doesn't mean they should be barred from giving input on these things but it's frustrating to see Fergie going against all the standards he set for his own coaches when he was at the helm, his coaching teams were full of highly qualified and rated coaches but due to an all consuming need to hoist Giggs to the post all of this no longer matter?

GloryHunter07

$$$$$$$$

Its the easiest payout. Get a 3-4 year contract, get sacked after a year and go home with a huge severance package.
To be fair i think some of them, eg AVB, only get paid severance until they find another job.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
What are they waiting for?
Surely they can see that something has to be done?
They run United as a job, it's what they do for a living, and they don't seem to care.
It is shocking!

And frustrating like HNNNG!

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
I know these are shite newspapers etc and don't if you've all seen these already? (sorry haven't had time to look through threads)

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...th-as-board-lose-faith-in-Louis-van-Gaal.html

http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/15/jose-...-united-boss-by-the-end-of-the-month-5682351/

In the Sun article they say that the club pays attention to social media and fans polls or something? Think anyone at the club having a peak at the Caf?:lol:

Edit - not that I believe it - but imagine Jose rocking up at that Arsenal clash - Wenger would be delighted:angel:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

This is true. As a comparison Spurs 51 points after 26 games and where it would have put them in previous years:
11/12 - 3rd - 12 off 1st
12/13 - 3rd - 14 off 1st
13/14 - 5th - 6 off 1st
14/15 - 3rd - 9 off 1st

He might be the real deal or he might just be flavour of the month like Rodgers, Martinez, Laudrup and others were in the past.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I know these are shite newspapers etc and don't if you've all seen these already? (sorry haven't had time to look through threads)

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...th-as-board-lose-faith-in-Louis-van-Gaal.html

http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/15/jose-...-united-boss-by-the-end-of-the-month-5682351/

In the Sun article they say that the club pays attention to social media and fans polls or something? Think anyone at the club having a peak at the Caf?:lol:

Edit - not that I believe it - but imagine Jose rocking up at that Arsenal clash - Wenger would be delighted:angel:
Heard someone else (Pat Nevin maybe?) last week saying we monitored social media during Moyes' reign too and that it played a part in how we assessed his performance. I'd imagine it's an analytics based way of monitoring the status of our image, brand and reputation.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
the first pages seemed so hopeful, as the story all broke on the BBC late one Friday night.
Absolutely nothing since!

Member 5225

With every passing day, I feel Jose to United is less and less likely. :(
A mate (who supports Chelski) tries to perk me up by saying he has no options, so will come to United on default. Hope so!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
the first pages seemed so hopeful, as the story all broke on the BBC late one Friday night.
Absolutely nothing since!
Early reports suggested any change would be in the summer so maybe we shouldn't have expected anything else?

edcunited1878

Social media is the best platform for instant, visceral reaction/feedback. Fans are polled. I am one of those fans who over the course of the year receive 2 or 3 "Fan Survey" emails. A few friends of mine are part of this too. Before Moyes was sacked, I received an email from the club and the tone of the questions had to do with how much you know/care/follow United. I don't think the timing was coincidental, the club, as it should be obvious to many, are very calculated in the things they do. The questions included: What does it mean to you to be a Manchester United fan? Who are your 3 favorite United players of all time? Who are your 3 favorite current United players? Please rank the following competitions in order of preference (FA Cup, League Cup, CL, PL).

Less than two weeks after the email was sent, Moyes was sacked.

Kaos

Of course social media is a big deal. Every United article and piece is infested with ridicule and how much of a laughing stock we've become. That can't be a good sentiment for business.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We should be used to this, it's happened before with Gundogan etc. Can't see it happening now.
I sort of can't see Mourinho managing us. It'd make too much sense, and it'd be a a real let off after bungling the decision first time round.

Even if he came though, it'd be sheer regret he didn't take over when we had a team used to winning. With his tweaks and much better management...well...no I won't, it'll only be too painful!

SteveW

Sir Bobby has done lots for this club but appreciation of those things shouldn't give him veto power on decisions that have major implications on the future of the club nor should what he and Fergie did give them the right yo treat our managerial post as a lab for experimenting on which British manager to try out. That doesn't mean they should be barred from giving input on these things but it's frustrating to see Fergie going against all the standards he set for his own coaches when he was at the helm, his coaching teams were full of highly qualified and rated coaches but due to an all consuming need to hoist Giggs to the post all of this no longer matter?
Who said it should? This has nothing to do with anything I've said :confused:

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Why's he not here yet?

I swear to god if we miss out on him I'm hunting down Ed

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Maybe he doesn't want to come in to a new job half way through a season?
Real's ex-president alluded to similar about Mourinho a month or two back.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
There's absolutely no chance Mourinho is contractually restricted from taking another PL job this season. None at all. feckwittery is the only possible explanation.

Jazz

I have my misgivings about Jose - but I can't see a better option at the moment. Not sure the club aren't doing anything - think LVG is there until they finalise whatever they need to. We also don't know if Jose would really want to take over now. Also, even if we had a deal in place with him, I don't think the club would want to announce until he's ready to come in.

The only thing I wonder about is whether Jose/Mendes didn't make a mistake leaking to the press. I hope it hasn't backfired. Jose would have been better served being discreet. Think I've said it before, but Ed strikes me as someone who doesn't want to be seen as being backed into a corner. It's bad judgment on Jose's part trying to force things publicly. Mendes needs to do some major arse kissing here imo.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
There's absolutely no chance Mourinho is contractually restricted from taking another PL job this season. None at all. feckwittery is the only possible explanation.
Totally. It sounds bizarre. Imagine being sacked from your job, and then being told you also can't go and do another job in the area you live, and you would have to emigrate if you want more paid employment. Surely it would against some sort of employment law.

Jazz

Totally. It sounds bizarre. Imagine being sacked from your job, and then being told you also can't go and do another job in the area you live, and you would have to emigrate if you want more paid employment. Surely it would against some sort of employment law.
Nah - you can have a clause in your contract for that. There's usually a certain time period involved - though it can't be unreasonable. He would also be going to a fellow 'competitor' in the same industry etc etc - can be done for sure. Not saying it's the case here, but certainly not against the law, as long as the content is not unreasonable.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Mourinho wasn't my first option however I can't blame him too much on what happened at Chelsea. It's not easy to live under that sort of pressure especially when all things start going wrong. LvG has more experience in that and he's trembling under it. Also I refuse to believe that Maureen wasn't back stabbed by his players That's quite tough to take
Well the last part is conjecture. But what we do know is all the things that he did live on television. He's not squeaky clean and I couldn't convincingly argue with anyone that he's not going to bring that here, even though I do think he should get a chance at the job here.

Whenever I debate this with anyone, that's the one part where the argument falls apart. He's a loose cannon and nobody can be convinced that he'd change his ways here.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The devil is in the detail, he wasn't sacked (officially) he left 'by mutual consent', which is lawyer talk for "we'll pay you off but some contractual agreements will stand".

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Well the last part is conjecture. But what we do know is all the things that he did live on television. He's not squeaky clean and I couldn't convincingly argue with anyone that he's not going to bring that here, even though I do think he should get a chance at the job here.

Whenever I debate this with anyone, that's the one part where the argument falls apart. He's a loose cannon and nobody can be convinced that he'd change his ways here.
Loose cannon like throwing slippers and tables to players or threatening to throw a tea cup to a 6.3ft Danish giant who could break him with one hand tied to his back?

These are emotional people who are born winners and hate losing. Yes Maureen would lose it if he is losing especially when he's being backstabbed

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Loose cannon like throwing slippers and tables to players or threatening to throw a tea cup to a 6.3ft Danish giant?

These are emotional people who are born winners and hate losing. Yes Maureen would lose it if he is losing especially when he's being backstabbed
It's the second job in a row where he's supposedly been backstabbed, and third in total if you count his 1st Chelsea spell.

Either he's the unluckiest man around, he's an utter cnut who pushes his players over the edge or the players backstabbing him in an excuse for his methods tiring.

Neither is a good sign.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It's the second job in a row where he's supposedly been backstabbed, and third in total if you count his 1st Chelsea spell.

Either he's the unluckiest man around, he's an utter cnut who pushes his players over the edge or the players backstabbing him in an excuse for his methods tiring.

Neither is a good sign.
At porto he was a god, at Chelsea (1st time) he left after winning the title, at inter he was God once again, at real he didn't too shabbily considering he was wanted back at Chelsea he immediately won the league and then there was this freaky season. All the teams he managed either wanted him back or would sell their soul to have him back

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
At porto he was a god, at Chelsea (1st time) he left after winning the title, at inter he was God once again, at real he didn't too shabbily considering he was wanted back at Chelsea he immediately won the league and then there was this freaky season. All the teams he managed either wanted him back or would sell their soul to have him back
At Chelsea he left after a shocking start to the season both times, the latest more so.

At Real Madrid he did an average job and ended up being forced out due to falling out with the entire dressing room in the end.

No debate over Inter and Porto, but it's undeniable that he has a track record of falling out with his players and that's not a good thing at all.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Seems pretty clear to me, mourinho doesn't want to join a sinking ship, he wants a fresh start in the summer with his own transfers. Not worth it for him to risk damaging his reputation any further if he doesn't secure the CL.

Makes sense why we didn't spend anything in January either, saving it all for him.

ravi2

At Chelsea he left after a shocking start to the season both times, the latest more so.

At Real Madrid he did an average job and ended up being forced out due to falling out with the entire dressing room in the end.

No debate over Inter and Porto, but it's undeniable that he has a track record of falling out with his players and that's not a good thing at all.

If I was a Liverpool fan my posts would probably look something like this. There is no way I would want Jose to manage MUFC as he would have the club back to winning throphies in no time.

ottosec

Seems pretty clear to me, mourinho doesn't want to join a sinking ship, he wants a fresh start in the summer with his own transfers. Not worth it for him to risk damaging his reputation any further if he doesn't secure the CL.

Makes sense why we didn't spend anything in January either, saving it all for him.
Probably he's just taking some time off, I don't see how he can ruin his reputation taking the team now.

Pretty much anything would be an improvement over the shit we're being served every week and nobody really expects anything. Not to mention that if he somehow manages to get top 4 or win anything he'll look like a genius.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
This is true. As a comparison Spurs 51 points after 26 games and where it would have put them in previous years:
11/12 - 3rd - 12 off 1st
12/13 - 3rd - 14 off 1st
13/14 - 5th - 6 off 1st
14/15 - 3rd - 9 off 1st

He might be the real deal or he might just be flavour of the month like Rodgers, Martinez, Laudrup and others were in the past.

Good work, LB99

Absolutely agreed. We need to wait a few years to see if he consistently achieves.

Status
Not open for further replies.